OTAs at Surrey practice facility - 4/28/16

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

DAY 1

Anyone attending?

Listened to Khari Jones on TSN1040 this morning. The interview can be found at the link below (I would encourage you to listen. Stations monitor these things to determine interest, obviously we want more Lions talk).

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver

HIGHLIGHTS:

* Interesting that the talk from the Lions' front office now seems to be more that "the 2 QBs (Jennings/Lulay) are going in to compete for the starter's job." I've noticed that since the mild off-season contract squabble with Jennings' agent, they've been distancing themselves from the "Jennings as the #1 QB" narrative, essentially making it an even competition at camp.

* 2016 offense going to be very aggressive, according to Jones. "Anybody who knows me in my playing days, knows I was an aggressive player in terms of wanting to put the ball upfield..." He added that he and Wally "are on the same page." We shall see.... :wink:

* Wally wants to WIN pre-season games, not just assess players. Serious about winning fans back, they need that support. Khari wants it to be "exciting for players and fans."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:DAY 1

Anyone attending?

Listened to Khari Jones on TSN1040 this morning. The interview can be found at the link below (I would encourage you to listen. Stations monitor these things to determine interest, obviously we want more Lions talk).

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver

HIGHLIGHTS:

* Interesting that the talk from the Lions' front office now seems to be more that "the 2 QBs (Jennings/Lulay) are going in to compete for the starter's job." I've noticed that since the mild off-season contract squabble with Jennings' agent, they've been distancing themselves from the "Jennings as the #1 QB" narrative, essentially making it an even competition at camp.

* Going to be very aggressive "anybody who knows me in my playing days, knows I was an aggressive player in terms of wanting to put the ball upfield..." He added that he and Wally "are on the same page." We shall see.... :wink:

* Wally wants to WIN pre-season games, not just assess players. Serious about winning fans back, they need that support. Khari wants it to be "exciting for players and fans."

When it comes to contracts Wally plays hardball. Unhappy with your contract? OK, here is some pressure to deal with --> open competition, not starter status. Old school, all the way. It still works, in a sense. But the ill feeling it creates is not worth it nowadays, IMO. Motivate through fear and pressure.

We will see how old school works this year. Could be good. Could be bad.

Just IMO. Those more loyal to Wally, and other followers of the Lions, will see it differently.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:DAY 1

* 2016 offense going to be very aggressive, according to Jones. "Anybody who knows me in my playing days, knows I was an aggressive player in terms of wanting to put the ball upfield..." He added that he and Wally "are on the same page." We shall see.... :wink:

The little I read about Jennings contract I think mild is the operative word. But I believe the positioning of both Jennings and Lulay as competing for the starter's job is more of a nod to Lulay and his reputation and less of a mild warning to Jennings and his agent. Lulay I am sure is a proud man and he accomplished a lot in this league, to convince him to restructure his contract and take a pay cut, you have to trot out the platitudes.

As for the 2016 offence being very aggressive......I am detecting an echo reverberating around my brain. Some rather bizarre sense of deja vous that I can't quite put my finger on. I hear the words but I see the lips of a former NCAA head coach flapping..... I also see a former OC who was parachuted onto the West Coast from some god-forsaken prairie town with his head buried in the sand.... Wow, amazing what tricks the mind plays on you when you are a fan of the BC Lions.

Pudding...meet proof.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:The little I read about Jennings contract I think mild is the operative word. But I believe the positioning of both Jennings and Lulay as competing for the starter's job is more of a nod to Lulay and his reputation and less of a mild warning to Jennings and his agent. Lulay I am sure is a proud man and he accomplished a lot in this league, to convince him to restructure his contract and take a pay cut, you have to trot out the platitudes.
Whichever way it's being spun I believe it is still Jennings' job to lose which IMO is much different than saying it's up for grabs. Yes they may be competing but as long as Jennings doesn't show signs of plateauing or, God forbid, regressing thru camp and exhibition play the job is his.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

Lulay has to WIN this job and show his massive accuracy and velocity problems from last year are totally gone to win the #1 job.

basically all jennings has to show accuracy and good calm decision making are real, its his job. if it not, then it a competition.
Last edited by Qman on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

More talk about an aggressive offence. As far as I'm concerned it's all talk. We've been promised both an attacking offence and defence in the past. I'll believe it when I actually see it.
David
Team Captain

Day 1 in the books.

No sign of highly touted ex-Detroit Lions RB Mikel Leshoure.

Price and McGee the only QBs scheduled to take part.

http://3downnation.com/2016/04/28/15908/

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

David wrote:Day 1 in the books.

No sign of highly touted ex-Detroit Lions RB Mikel Leshoure.

Price and McGee the only QBs scheduled to take part.

http://3downnation.com/2016/04/28/15908/

come on ... was Leshoure even going to make it through week 2 of TC with the guys they have signed and actually played pro ball last year.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:More talk about an aggressive offence. As far as I'm concerned it's all talk. We've been promised both an attacking offence and defence in the past. I'll believe it when I actually see it.
Understand the skepticism. With Jones as OC and Jennings play reminding me so much of how Jones played in Winnipeg I'm definitely optimistic. If this offence isn't airing the ball out downfield similar to the Bomber offence with Jones at the helm I will concede that we will never see it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

With Lokombo and the Lioins talking about an expanded role for him this year and Alex Bazzie recently quoted talking about playing LB, might we see a lot of 3-4 Defense this year?
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:http://www.bclions.com/2016/04/28/qbs_april28-mp4/

Check out their new helmets.
Right. Sekeres was raving about them today--gloss, not matte, finish. Of course, they wouldn't let us see what the game version will look like yet.

Between 1-1:15 Wally was on 1040.
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... s-1.480178
(One thing I'd suggest is different bumper music for his segment. We know Wally likes Motown, but surely they could use something other than "the Tears of a Clown").

It was a great interview by both Sekeres and Price. They asked a lot of good questions and Wally was off the scale with the number of "you-know" responses.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wally has excellent taste in music.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Travis speaking about Keith Price:

"Got a smile on his face"

Memo to Travis: Keith always has a smile on his face.