Dorazio hard at work after returning to den

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Matt Baker
Rookie

I was lucky to sit down with Dan Dorazio for 15 minutes. Man, I could talk football with him all day!

New article on BCLions.com:

http://www.bclions.com/2016/04/19/doraz ... eview=true
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am very apprehensive about Dorazio's complicated Zone Read blocking schemes that he is so fond of. Too much pre snap thinking leads to hesitation on the part of the blocker and when that happens the defender gets by the blocker in an instant.
aklawitter
All Star

quick, someone tell him that Valli retired
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating as they say.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I am very apprehensive about Dorazio's complicated Zone Read blocking schemes that he is so fond of. Too much pre snap thinking leads to hesitation on the part of the blocker and when that happens the defender gets by the blocker in an instant.
Mind you, he has been lauded for his intricate schemes:
Those who do will see an Oklahoma team ranked No. 2 in the nation — the Huskies came in No. 4 — get totally flummoxed by the blocking scheme devised by James and offensive line coach Dan Dorazio to neutralize the Sooners’ All-American defensive tackle, Tony Casillas. The trap plays, called via audibles based on where Casillas lined up, not only took the future NFL star largely out of the game but allowed the Huskies to deal with Oklahoma’s brash and talented freshman linebacker, Brian Bosworth.
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/30-y ... nal-title/
CardiacKid
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
DanoT wrote:I am very apprehensive about Dorazio's complicated Zone Read blocking schemes that he is so fond of. Too much pre snap thinking leads to hesitation on the part of the blocker and when that happens the defender gets by the blocker in an instant.
Mind you, he has been lauded for his intricate schemes:
Those who do will see an Oklahoma team ranked No. 2 in the nation — the Huskies came in No. 4 — get totally flummoxed by the blocking scheme devised by James and offensive line coach Dan Dorazio to neutralize the Sooners’ All-American defensive tackle, Tony Casillas. The trap plays, called via audibles based on where Casillas lined up, not only took the future NFL star largely out of the game but allowed the Huskies to deal with Oklahoma’s brash and talented freshman linebacker, Brian Bosworth.
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/30-y ... nal-title/
How much time would a NCAA Div 1 team get on the practice field compared to a CFL team of today? Do those complicated schemes require more time for the personnel to learn them properly than the current collective agreement allows?
pennw
Legend

aklawitter wrote:quick, someone tell him that Valli retired
Dean Valli spoke quite highly of Dorazio in a recent article about him retiring .
CardiacKid
Legend

pennw wrote:
aklawitter wrote:quick, someone tell him that Valli retired
Dean Valli spoke quite highly of Dorazio in a recent article about him retiring .
As was Patrick Kabongo.
South Pender
Legend

Did Dorazio actually use true zone blocking schemes when he was here, or just his particular version of the usual down blocking techniques? As for zone blocking, Tom Cable has been able to transform a very mediocre bunch of O-linemen in Seattle (who have, I believe, the lowest budget O-line in the NFL or very close to it) into at least a reasonably respectable position group (well, by the end of the season anyway) with zone blocking schemes. There were some rookies in that unit too--or guys new to their positions--like Britt, Nowak, and Gilliam--so maybe it's not too hard for guys to pick up the techniques. I could be wrong about this, but I'm not sure that there's necessarily a lot of pre-snap thinking required with the zone blocking concept, more a focus on getting to the right place after the snap. It has made the Seahawks' ground game pretty special.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating as they say.
Yup. With Dan, we have seen good, and we have seen bad. Dan can dial up pretty much any blocking schemes, techniques, or philosophy one could want. But, as Angus Reid pointed out, it is usually better to keep things as simple as possible.

Looking forward to seeing the results on the field.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
almo89
Legend

I understand that he's a pretty respected football guru. All I know is that during his time here, we've seen our fair share of QBs taking a beating. Last season was the first time in years where we had a decent O line. I'm just afraid we'll be back to the same ol same ol and our QBs getting all battered up again.
David
Team Captain

No one disputes Dan's vast knowledge, hard work, and his ability to communicate. It's just that in terms of keeping the quarterback upright, paradoxically, his O-lines invariably lead the league (last season in Saskatchewan) or are among the league leaders in sacks allowed. Just sayin'.....

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:No one disputes Dan's vast knowledge, hard work, and his ability to communicate. It's just that in terms of keeping the quarterback upright, paradoxically, his O-lines invariably lead the league (last season in Saskatchewan) or are among the league leaders in sacks allowed. Just sayin'.....

DH :cool:
Definitely wasn't a banner year in that regard for the Riders. Keep in mind Kevin Glenn who almost refuses to run or scramble was QB for a good chunk of the season. Tino Sunseri also saw the field for a few games while Glenn was out. Possessed with Danny McManus like mobility Sunseri didn't have Danny's smarts to get rid of the ball quickly. Just before they cut him Chamblin hooked Brett Smith against Ottawa and put Sunseri in. Sunseri was sacked 8 times in relief duty that game. That one Sunseri relief appearance probably accounted for 10% of the Riders' sacks allowed last year. If I recall Ottawa was mercilessly sending 6 and 7 rushers every second play in what amounted to a feeding frenzy.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:No one disputes Dan's vast knowledge, hard work, and his ability to communicate. It's just that in terms of keeping the quarterback upright, paradoxically, his O-lines invariably lead the league (last season in Saskatchewan) or are among the league leaders in sacks allowed. Just sayin'.....
Ditto. I particularly remember this SSK game vs HAM last season where Glenn was injured. What a savage beatdown.
http://www.cfl.ca/games/2200/hamilton-t ... s/#matchup
almo89 wrote:I understand that he's a pretty respected football guru. All I know is that during his time here, we've seen our fair share of QBs taking a beating. Last season was the first time in years where we had a decent O line. I'm just afraid we'll be back to the same ol same ol and our QBs getting all battered up again.
Fully agree. By contrast, BC QB's had one of the least lethal seasons for as far back as I can remember.

Sidenote on the new CFL website: after wiping out all history when they shifted to the mobile-friendly version, looks like they are planning to restore it. (see the "Coming Soon" at the bottom of the game page). I noticed the same thing happened with the NHL site.