Collie retires ... name our Canadian starters

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

if anyone can name our 7 cdn starters .. give it a shot
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Getting thinner

Offence
Fabien G
O/Neil C
Steward/Husband G
Gore WR
*Lumbala/Ianuzzi

Defence
Westerman
*Lokombo/Menard

*one or the other depending on formations.

Little scary. But more and more evident they need to find a way for Lokombo to be an every down player. There was some talk going to a 30 but we shall see.

Now compare this to their 2006 Canadian staters

Offence
Reid, Bates, Singh, Clermont, Jackson, Thelwell
Defence
Johnson, Glatt
Qman
Champion

This is what i had: Starter (back-up)

Febien G (Player G)
O'Neil C (Thorn C)
Steward G (Husband G)
Gore WR (Ianuzzi WR)

Westerman (Menard) DLine
Lokombo LB
Fraser S (Edem)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Qman wrote:This is what i had: Starter (back-up)

Febien G (Player G)
O'Neil C (Thorn C)
Steward G (Husband G)
Gore WR (Ianuzzi WR)

Westerman (Menard) DLine
Lokombo LB
Fraser S (Edem)
Totally overlooked safety but that is a lock for a national with the signing of Edem too. Would like to see the luxury of starting 8 but don't know if they can afford to.
OV - 54:40
Champion

3 O-linemen; Gore/Iannuzzi/Lumbala = 4 on offence

Westerman/Menard; Edem/Fraser; Lokombo in some packages = only 2 on defence, depending (any chance of some 3-4 D looks?)

Draft a receiver from a very good crop this year and add to the above guys so they go with 2 NI receiver spots = 5 on offence

Maybe get to draft DE Trent Corney (Virginia) at DE and he wins a spot = him and Menard combining at a DE job; Westerman plays DT in some looks or Lokombo in at LB some ?

Should be lots of options.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lots of potential combinations. O'Neill is the third national starter on the O-line, backed up by Thorn.
Any of Iannuzzi, Adekolu or Murray-Lawrence could pick up reps as the fifth receiver (or second RB) in passing situations when Lumbala is out of the game.
Either Fraser or Edem could play safety.
Only one of Westerman, Menard or Lokombo would need to be on the field provide a second national starter on defence.

OFFENCE 5
Febien G (Player G)
O'Neill C (Thorn C)
Steward G (Husband G)
Gore WR (Iannuzzi WR)
Lumbala FB (Adekolu SB) (Murray-Lawrence RB)

DEFENCE 2
Westerman (Menard) DLine (Lokombo LB)
Fraser S (Edem)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The thing that concerns me is I don't see anyone on the Lions roster that will likely contend for Outstanding Canadian or even Western All-Star.

Gore has shown flashes of superb play but can he be consistent through 18 games and come close to getting 1000 yards.

Can Hunter Stewart stay healthy and show the impressive footwork and body positioning that he showed in 5 or so games that he played as a rookie?

Lokombo needs to get more playing time.

You need strong Canadian talent and depth to win in the CFL and the Lions don't have it.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hope the Lions uncover a few gems in the upcoming Canadian draft.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:The thing that concerns me is I don't see anyone on the Lions roster that will likely contend for Outstanding Canadian or even Western All-Star.

Gore has shown flashes of superb play but can he be consistent through 18 games and come close to getting 1000 yards.

Can Hunter Stewart stay healthy and show the impressive footwork and body positioning that he showed in 5 or so games that he played as a rookie?

Lokombo needs to get more playing time.

You need strong Canadian talent and depth to win in the CFL and the Lions don't have it.
The Lions had one of the best Canadians in the league in Andrew Harris and they let him walk to Winnipeg.

There is a school of thought that you don't win with your top Canadian talent; you win with your bottom Canadian talent. If you don't have a quality seventh starter and enough national depth to carry you through injuries, you won't go far. I think the Lions have more national depth than at any time in their recent history. Each potential Canadian starter has a backup who has either started or been an effective rotational player in the past. In recent years, the Lions have pulled people off the street to fill out their rosters. I don't see that as being necessary this year, no matter how hard they are hit by injuries.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Where's Lokombo supposed to line-up with both Sol-E and Bighill on the field ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

OV - 54:40 wrote:Where's Lokombo supposed to line-up with both Sol-E and Bighill on the field ?
It probably won't happen but I would like to see Lokombo line up in Bighill's outside LB spot and make Bighill the nickelback/LB.
Qman
Champion

OV - 54:40 wrote:Where's Lokombo supposed to line-up with both Sol-E and Bighill on the field ?
wally has said they are going to play a ton of 30 defence this year (liked MTL's defensive schemes from last year).

i'm not a big fans of only rushing 3, and we don't have a great blitzing LB.
anyways thats what wally's plans are
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
wally has said they are going to play a ton of 30 defence this year (liked MTL's defensive schemes from last year).

Going to be interesting whether the Lions are really going to a 30 defence. Buono is a really conservative coach.
squishy35
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Qman wrote:

Going to be interesting whether the Lions are really going to a 30 defence. Buono is a really conservative coach.

Matt Carter (Ott) and Jabari Arthur (Cal) are two unsigned national receivers that may hit Wally's radar if more Cnd depth is needed in the receiving Corps.....
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

squishy35 wrote:Matt Carter (Ott) and Jabari Arthur (Cal) are two unsigned national receivers that may hit Wally's radar if more Cnd depth is needed in the receiving Corps.....
I'd rather see them draft and develop a rookie or perhaps junior territorial exemption Derek Yachison. Arthur turns 34 in August and hasn't done much at all in his career. Only twice in his 7 year career has he produced 100+ yard SEASONS; 2013 when he had 510 and 2011 when he chipped in 372 yards. Carter turns 30 in August and hasn't been any more productive than Arthur throughout his career. If Wally carries a grudge I doubt he's interested in Carter who somewhat stiffed the Leos after he was drafted asking for his release to return home due to a health issue in the family then to jump ship and sign with Hamilton shortly after.

Edit: Oops. I forgot about Adekolu. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a better look. Maybe Collie leaving will open things up for him to get some playing time.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.