Dennis Skulsky stepping down effective April 1

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Didn't see this coming. Certainly nothing in the way of hints but it sets up the sale of the franchise in the very near future. Chayka likely steps in the role for now. If Braley goes outside the organzation it would suggest he might be sticking around for longer than just this season. My preference would be Scott Ackles.
I have some personal news to share with you today. I have just announced to staff here a few minutes ago that I will be retiring from my role as President and CEO of the BC Lions Football Club effective April 1, 2016.

I wanted you to hear from me because it’s been in the works for some time now. I informed our owner David Braley last fall during Grey Cup week of my desire to move into the next phase of my life. David asked me and ultimately convinced me to stay on as Vice-Chairman, representing the Lions on the CFL Board of Governors, in the business community and on some strategic projects.

My new role will see me commit at least 25% of my time to these duties, which for me is a purrfect blend of my two greatest passions, family and BC Lions football.

To put context to this, the past couple of years have been challenging for me with some family health issues, the passing of my father, all of which is a reminder that life is very precious.

I feel truly blessed to have had the privilege, honor and opportunity to be a member of the BC Lions organization and to have this dream job of leading this team in a league I grew up cheering for and admiring. After some 43 years of continuous full time employment, the time is right for me to spend more time with my wife, family and grandchildren.

I’ve been inspired by the loyal fan base the BC Lions have. It’s been a real pleasure to meet and talk to many of you. The BC Lions are fortunate to have fans like you.

David Braley is entering his 20th season as the team owner and now will assume the interim role as President working closely with Wally Buono, George Chayka and our staff in preparing the Lions for the upcoming CFL season.

My sincere thanks go out David, Wally, George and the entire staff for their tremendous support. I believe we’re in for an exciting and successful upcoming season of Lions football.

Thank you again for the personal encouragement, support and you can rest assured, I will continue to bleed orange and do everything possible to help the team.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Finally, some good news.

No, not the family health issues. I'm a cynic. Not a grave dancer.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Skulsky has taken a lot of heat from some in these pages. How much of that was warranted or justified is open for debate. I for one appreciate his efforts over those 6 years because I know he always had the best interests of the club in mind on whatever he did. I never was left with the impression there was lack of effort or passion for the Lions on his behalf.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

First front office move that seems to make sense to me this off season.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Skulsky has taken a lot of heat from some in these pages. How much of that was warranted or justified is open for debate. I for one appreciate his efforts over those 6 years because I know he always had the best interests of the club in mind on whatever he did. I never was left with the impression there was lack of effort or passion for the Lions on his behalf.
I am very sorry to hear of Mr. Skulsky's family health issues and his father's passing. But it would be hypocritical of me to not be critical of the way things have been handled these past 5 years. There have been a number of things in which I feel like we've just dropped the ball. Lack of innovation in a changing sporting landscape for one (other than Guaranteed Win night against the Riders which was fairly novel for the CFL....but just a bad idea IMHO, and clumsily executed). Most importantly, precipitous drops in attendance over the past couple of years.

Now, how much of that is of Skulsky's doing and how much of it Braley's, we'll never know. I am however, willing to cut him some slack. For all we know many of Skulsky's ambitions for the club (particularly in the area of Marketing vis-à-vis ticket pricing) could have been nixed at the ownership level.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
squishy35
Legend

Skulsky's heart was in the right place but his methods never seemed to generate a lot of excitement from a promotions point of view. I would hope that the Lions as an organization will be able to fill Skulsky's role with an ambitious, creative and effective individual that can create some much needed community excitement for this season and many to come.
Qman
Champion

completely agree
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Relocated my season tickets (same price category) for the coming season from 25-yard line visitors sideline to 55 yard line (section 241) home team side 14 rows up. Never would have been possible 7 years ago. Excited about the new location but bittersweet too about that kind of availability.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Relocated my season tickets (same price category) for the coming season from 25-yard line visitors sideline to 55 yard line (section 241) home team side 14 rows up. Never would have been possible 7 years ago. Excited about the new location but bittersweet too about that kind of availability.
Hey we're neighbours Sammy! I'm in 242. I also relocated but not so dramatically. My buddy and I were in 242 Row O seats 5 & 6. We tried relocating last year to something closer to the aisle but no lower than we already were. I think under normal circumstances we would've been successful then. However I think what we were looking for would've been scooped up by folks getting displaced from the upper bowl. This year we were able to get exactly what we wanted and have moved 3 rows higher to 242 Row S seats 1 & 2. Two guys relocated beside us last year in a move similar to yours. I think they also had been somewhere on the visitors side. They were very happy with their new 45 yard line seats. When I was going through the process of relocation I did notice that there still weren't a lot of available seats in the prime sections of 240, 241 & 242. There was only 1 other pair option for us on the aisle in 242. I did the math on 242 and there was only about 11% of seats available. A good portion of them were singles alfway between the aisles, seats that were likely not held by season ticket holders last year either. I think it was more like 5% attrition in 242 which would be before others relocated to scoop them up or new ST holders claimed that portion.

BTW did you do the online thing through a link from your account to Ticketmaster? I found that to be pretty darned slick.
Last edited by Hambone on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CardiacKid
Legend

I have emailed Mr. Skulsky a couple of times and found his replies to be very quick and obviously not in the form of a cookie cutter reply. Namely I could tell my email had been read and a reply was written that addressed my concerns. I was very impressed by that. So I think there is some credit due the fellow.

I also met him at a couple of games and found him to be a very pleasant guy who was very willing to mix with the fans.

The business decisions can be examined more closely and perhaps found wanting. That certainly has been debated here. He wasn't helped by being the successor to Bobby Ackles. And maybe he did have a number of potential initiatives that were kiboshed by ownership. Perhaps this will all become more clear in the transition to new ownership. I would be very surprised if someone outside the organization was to take his place before Braley sells; I have to believe anyone that takes over Skulsky's reins will have "interim" stamped on their forehead.

So in my mind, another sign this year will be a holding pattern.

As for Mr. Skulsky, I found him to be a decent guy and I wish him the best.
BC 1988
Legend

When I saw the email today, I thought they should have put in brackets (no April Fool) :rotf:

With Braley now being "interim" President, time will tell if anyone else is appointed before the team is sold. (as Sammy says, Chayka will likely be assuming the tasks on the ground. I can't see Braley taking an active role now).

With the (totally non-event) NHL Trade Deadline Day, there wasn't anything about this at all on 1040. Skulsky couldn't have picked a better day to quietly ride off into the sunset.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:When I saw the email today, I thought they should have put in brackets (no April Fool) :rotf:

With Braley now being "interim" President, time will tell if anyone else is appointed before the team is sold. (as Sammy says, Chayka will likely be assuming the tasks on the ground. I can't see Braley taking an active role now).

With the (totally non-event) NHL Trade Deadline Day, there wasn't anything about this at all on 1040. Skulsky couldn't have picked a better day to quietly ride off into the sunset.
If Braley is trying to stick to his plan of divesting his sports interests by 75, 3 months from now, then Braley as interim Peresident with Chayka and others doing the work makes sense. I don't think the Lions will be sold before the season begins but something within the next 18 months is very realistic. If Braley was to appoint a permanent President and CEO that to me would be a sign that he plans on continuing to own the Lions for the next few years.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:BTW did you do the online thing through a link from your account to Ticketmaster? I found that to be pretty darned slick.
Yes. Very impressed! I very likely never would have even asked for the availability of tickets in that section if I was doing it over the phone. So much easier.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Football side --> Wally.

Business side --> Dennis.

Both hard working guys. Results on the field and off have been so-so lately. Good call by Dennis to give it up, it seems to me. Family comes first. And the business side needs to be revitalized.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:I have emailed Mr. Skulsky a couple of times and found his replies to be very quick and obviously not in the form of a cookie cutter reply. Namely I could tell my email had been read and a reply was written that addressed my concerns. I was very impressed by that. So I think there is some credit due the fellow.

I also met him at a couple of games and found him to be a very pleasant guy who was very willing to mix with the fans.
My experience as well.