Harris Won't Be Back...Pretty Much Official

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Well, it appears to be done and dusted. Andrew Harris will not be back for 2016.

Wally said to TSN Radio...

“At this point, I’m not saying we’re going to make him an offer. I don’t believe that we will. I think that at this point, it’s time for the club to look at doing things differently. When you look at the eight years he’s had here - he’s had eight great years. There’s times that you say, ‘okay, we’re going to go in a new direction. We appreciate all an individual has done, and sometimes it’s just good to find a new place to go.”

Harris took to Twitter:
"Well I guess that's it BC Lions fans. Thanks for all the love and support throughout my journey here in BC! "
JohnnyMusso
Champion

No surprise. If Lions wanted him he would be signed by now. I don't expect them to sign any of their free agents, except maybe Lulay. They likely will go with an import running back and add an Canadian elsewhere.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Harris took to Twitter:
"Well I guess that's it BC Lions fans. Thanks for all the love and support throughout my journey here in BC! "
God bless, Andrew. One of my all time faves. Run wild.

This player left it all on the field. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

Disappointed quite frankly....yes, a big part of that disappointment stems from the fact Andrew is a hero to football fans on Vancouver Island. And also the fact he helped remind the league that Canadians can excel at skill positions.

But essentially giving up on the guy (not even an offer?!?!) seems bizarre.

The main thrust of Wally's statement seems to imply that Andrew is unable to provide what the team needs. A new direction? Since when is 1,000 yards rushing and a good set of hands out of the backfield an "old (and therefore bad) direction"?

I am going to lose it if a re-tread of an International running back like Nic Grigsby or Anthony Allen becomes the starter next year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes weighs in, in a column on the new coaching staff and changing face of the franchise:
The big news? With the start of free agency just a week away, the Lions will let all-star running back Andrew Harris walk, likely toward Winnipeg. On the surface, Harris’s impending departure is a massive development but, in the unforgiving world of the CFL, he’s also replaceable. The Lions can go younger and cheaper in the backfield. They’re already transitioning toward an offence built around second-year quarterback Jonathon Jennings.

Yes, Harris was a great Lion and an even better story, but if he wanted to be paid like a superstar, he had to leave Vancouver.

That also means the 23-year-old Jennings, he of the eight CFL starts, is now the face of the franchise and that adds another layer of intrigue to the upcoming season.
Willes: Pressure on Buono’s boys to deliver results
Qman
Champion

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport 18m18 minutes ago
by letting harris go, Wally must attract one of these cdn FA difference makers: Laurent, Bourke, Capicciotti, or Laing #bclions #cfl
Qman
Champion

probably only Bourke or Laurent replace Harris --- quality wise

Laing plays same position as brooks, we need a true NT

Wally has had a pathetic track record in FA lately
CardiacKid
Legend

Qman wrote:Roar Report ‏@RoarReport 18m18 minutes ago
by letting harris go, Wally must attract one of these cdn FA difference makers: Laurent, Bourke, Capicciotti, or Laing #bclions #cfl
The $ saved in tossing Harris aside hopefully will be used towards signing a quality National and not just be deposited into David Braley's pension fund.

Ted Laurent has been quality for years now but the interior of the defensive line I think is going to be one the overall strengths of the team next year with Minter and Brooks. So Laurent, while an excellent player, won't be a significant upgrade. Cleyon Laing, while having a good season last year, is just too much of a liability IMO with his undisciplined and selfish play. He seems like a Khalif Mitchell waiting to happen. And Josh Bourke is one of the league's best but I am holding out for Brett Boyko to join the team.

No, if any money is going to be used to ply National FAs, I hope it is concentrated at Capicciotti. IMO the rush end position is still a glaring weakness with the team and it needs to be upgraded. If the solution just happens to be a National, all the better.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Should not come as a surprise to anyone following the Lions. The writing was on the wall way back in October.
green road kill
Rookie

I to am disappointed that Andrew won't be back, but his contract demands were
pretty high , 200k a year for a RB was something maybe the club couldn't afford.
But he was one of my favorite players and I''ll miss him.

This is the ugly side of football, fans get to see there favorite players leave and
sign with another team. But with a cap of 5.1 there is ownly so mutch room and money.
On a different side , the Lions did resign Geraldo Boldewijin and at 6.4 and 220 ,25
years old he could be a player we all want to see.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Have no problem with the Lions moving forward without Harris as long as his salary is allocated elsewhere next week. The fans don't need to hear again "we targeted these guys but they signed elsewhere" again. Neither does the franchise at this stage.

A fanstastic run for #33 here in BC. A true ratio buster. He was a big part of that strong finish in 2011 which was about as good as it gets for Lions fans.
maxlion
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
But essentially giving up on the guy (not even an offer?!?!) seems bizarre.
I'm pretty sure that Wally had a good idea of what Harris was asking for.
The main thrust of Wally's statement seems to imply that Andrew is unable to provide what the team needs. A new direction? Since when is 1,000 yards rushing and a good set of hands out of the backfield an "old (and therefore bad) direction"?

I am going to lose it if a re-tread of an International running back like Nic Grigsby or Anthony Allen becomes the starter next year.
Allen actually has had a considerably higher yards per carry average than Harris over the last couple of years (i.e. 6.2 vs 4.7 last year). Harris is an excellent dual threat--receiver/rusher--which is harder to find. I'm not sure about his blocking ability, but it doesn't seem to be his cup of tea from his comments to the media.

It was fun watching Harris become the great player he is, but given his salary demands, age/mileage, and "me-first" attitude in the media, I'm not surprised or disappointed to see him go.
Big Time
Champion

I wouldn't put too much stock into Wally's comments about going in a "different direction". That's just standard business speak for basically saying we don't see eye to eye and we don't want to work with you anymore. I doubt it has anything to do with Harris' numbers and more about the attitude and personality fit.

Wally throughout his career has been consistent in the following:
- knowing when a player is past his best date
- knowing that RB's are the easiest position to replace
- not allowing personality conflicts to infect the team

The first point is debatable considering Harris is 28 but I'm not all surprised to see Harris go, nor am I particularly upset.

From my point of view, there were games where Harris was absolutely dominant and that would often be followed by games where he was absolutely invisible. When he first became a rising star in the CFL, I admired the leadership steps he took, and at times felt he was a little mis-portrayed as being outspoken. I admired his passion but also feel that he lacked some maturity that only comes with experience. Truthfully, he looked like a player that was frustrated more and more last year, and in those circumstances it is often a change of scenery that changes things for the better. I think Wally recognizes this and is in many ways, doing Harris a favour by cutting ties now.

I wish Harris well wherever he ends up.
Lionsfan65
Starter

I wish Harris well wherever he ends up, he really was a bright spot in some mediocre offenses the past couple seasons.

That being said $200,000+ for a running back regardless of their skill set or passport is just way too much. A decent import running back could be had for less then half that.
Big Time wrote: The first point is debatable considering Harris is 28 but I'm not all surprised to see Harris go, nor am I particularly upset.
He will be 29 during the season and realistically maybe has only 2-3 good seasons left before he will go down hill. Running backs usually start to slow down during their early 30's.
CardiacKid
Legend

The question of how much money is a guy worth as well as attitude has come up in regards to Harris' leaving.

Some have mentioned that Harris was too selfish and had a bad attitude that could have infected the dressing room. And yet we have the Manny Show back in town with his propensity to create copy for the opposing team's bulletin boards and completely uninspired play in the first half of the year. Yes, he turned it around and when he is on, Manny is great to watch. But what are we going to get next year? Jeckyll or Hyde?

As for $, what is too much to pay a quality player? If the paradigm for running backs always going to be "a dime a dozen for International running backs" then why not simply sign some kid from Division II or lower for 2 years at the entry level salary and then jettison him when his contract is due for the next rookie. And keep that cycle going in perpetuity? The club will save a lot of money that way....

Some offensive linemen are making $300,000 a year and yet a guy who puts points on the board is not worth 2 thirds of that amount? And while Harris is older and nicked up (show me a starting running back from the past 5 years who hasn't spent time on the doctor's table), I don't think a 2 year extension would have been at all crazy.

If this team had a personnel guy with the ability of a Chris Jones or a John Murphy, I would be less inclined to be pissed as I would have faith the team could find that diamond in the rough. But as it stands, I don't the Leo's brain trust has any idea of what direction they wish to go in regards to replacing Harris. Maybe Rainey? Well by all accounts he is out the door as well. So what about mini-Shaq? Well, with Harris gone why keep a sophomore National who was probably only here to keep the ratio should Harris go down.

No when I hear the Riders are going to have 20 scouts on the payroll this year, I fear the Lions are going to get lost in their wash as the good ship Riderville sails the ocean of US and Canadian university plucking up the stars of tomorrow.

How many scouts do the Lions' have? Bet it isn't anywhere near 20.

Which leads to my point (thank God some of you are saying)! I don't think the Leo's are in a position to jettison quality players when they have shown a decided history of hit and miss in finding replacements. Until the Leo's make a concerted effort to bolster their scouting staff and infrastructure and hire guys whose forte is personnel (like Chris Jones who, while a good coach, I think his true strength is his personnel chops) then at least make an effort to retain the quality you have.

Anyhow my two bits as an Andrew Harris fan. I will miss the guy.