Braley begins process of selling team

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:Skulsky and Wally out the door. Then the healing can begin. New ownership will no doubt demand it.
That's again why nothing will happen until the team is sold. Skulsky, Wally and Tedford are under contract through 2016. The new owner can start with a clean slate or re-sign the people they want.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Solar Max wrote:Skulsky and Wally out the door. Then the healing can begin. New ownership will no doubt demand it.
That's again why nothing will happen until the team is sold. Skulsky, Wally and Tedford are under contract through 2016. The new owner can start with a clean slate or re-sign the people they want.
Much like the sale of the Argos was announced in May 2015 and won't take effect until the end of this year — which created a swan song 2015 Argo season of Braley ownership — we could see a similar situation here with a sale announced on the eve of the 2016 season to take effect at the end of 2016, with everyone (DS/WB/JT) in the meantime serving out the final years of their respective contracts during the season, presumably working to earn their next one under the new ownership. This is notwithstanding of course the possibility that DS may be among the new ownership suitors in which case he'd probably step aside as already mentioned until the sale process sorts itself out.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
JohnHenry
Champion

The Lions are an attractive franchise because there is so much upside. They have a good lease at a terrific retractable-domed 54,000-seat stadium in one of the most desirable cities in the world. The franchise has been in continuous operation for over 60 years. They have consistently turned a modest profit or broken-even over the past decade. There is plenty of opportunity for a savvy operator to increase ticket sales, sponsorship and merchandise revenue.

CFL franchise values are ridiculously low. It's only because it's a Canada-only league which prevents team values from equaling or exceeding the MLS, for example. TFC and Whitecaps are valued by Forbes at over $115M. The Whitecaps gross revenues are comparable to the Lions, but the soccer team is projected to lose $6M this year while the Lions will break-even at worst. If some pundits believe the Lions aren't worth $40M, does it make sense that the Whitecaps are worth three times as much?

The league is actually very strong. MLSE is now running the Argos who are moving to a right-sized outdoor stadium with great sight-lines and natural grass! The Ticats and RedBlacks are selling out their new stadiums. Montreal fanbase has been very consistent and it's a profitable franchise. Winnipeg has a rock-solid fanbase with a great new stadium. The Riders are building a fabulous "Palace on the Prairies" stadium which will substantially increase their revenue streams, (not that they needed to). The Stamps are operated by the Calgary Flames group and have proposed a new downtown stadium complex. Edmonton is the bedrock of the CFL, leading the league in attendance almost every year.

That leaves the little 'ole Lions. The franchise could easily be worth $150M if Forbes ever bothered to do an evaluation. $40M, that's pocket change for an successful football franchise, albeit operating in Canada. I can understand why there are 19 parties who've expressed interest in purchasing the Lions. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

No point in having a retractable dome stadium when the General Manager uses some excuse to close it.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:The Lions are an attractive franchise because there is so much upside. They have a good lease at a terrific retractable-domed 54,000-seat stadium in one of the most desirable cities in the world. The franchise has been in continuous operation for over 60 years. They have consistently turned a modest profit or broken-even over the past decade. There is plenty of opportunity for a savvy operator to increase ticket sales, sponsorship and merchandise revenue.

CFL franchise values are ridiculously low. It's only because it's a Canada-only league which prevents team values from equaling or exceeding the MLS, for example. TFC and Whitecaps are valued by Forbes at over $115M. The Whitecaps gross revenues are comparable to the Lions, but the soccer team is projected to lose $6M this year while the Lions will break-even at worst. If some pundits believe the Lions aren't worth $40M, does it make sense that the Whitecaps are worth three times as much?

The league is actually very strong. MLSE is now running the Argos who are moving to a right-sized outdoor stadium with great sight-lines and natural grass! The Ticats and RedBlacks are selling out their new stadiums. Montreal fanbase has been very consistent and it's a profitable franchise. Winnipeg has a rock-solid fanbase with a great new stadium. The Riders are building a fabulous "Palace on the Prairies" stadium which will substantially increase their revenue streams, (not that they needed to). The Stamps are operated by the Calgary Flames group and have proposed a new downtown stadium complex. Edmonton is the bedrock of the CFL, leading the league in attendance almost every year.

That leaves the little 'ole Lions. The franchise could easily be worth $150M if Forbes ever bothered to do an evaluation. $40M, that's pocket change for an successful football franchise, albeit operating in Canada. I can understand why there are 19 parties who've expressed interest in purchasing the Lions. :thup:
The only reason Whitecaps have an extra figure in their valuation over the Lions is because all it would take is basically one stroke of the pen to move the whole operation lock, stock and barrel to Wombat, Oklahoma if it fails here. Lions don't have that out because the CFL's market is pretty much already saturated and has been mostly that way for the last 60+ years.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
CardiacKid
Legend

What is the salary cap for the MLS? I am assuming there is one to prevent a NASL-style implosion.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:The Lions are an attractive franchise because there is so much upside. They have a good lease at a terrific retractable-domed 54,000-seat stadium in one of the most desirable cities in the world. The franchise has been in continuous operation for over 60 years. They have consistently turned a modest profit or broken-even over the past decade. There is plenty of opportunity for a savvy operator to increase ticket sales, sponsorship and merchandise revenue.
An excellent story by Cam Cole this week points to just how much the new TV deal has enhanced the value of all franchises to the point where the Lions are still turning a profit at 20,000 per game. That's a huge reason why there are 19 potential buyers.
The TSN's $40 million a year all but covers each team's $5-million salary cap, leaving gate receipts, sponsorships, advertising and in-stadium revenues to pay for training camp (often subsidized by a host community), staff, travel, scouting, rent, etc.

If a team draws 20,000 per game nine times, at an average ticket price of, say, $60, that's $10.8 million from ticket sales. If the average price is $40, that's still $7.2 million at the gate alone, before any other revenue is counted.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/cole ... z3s94tDfdk
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
An excellent story by Cam Cole this week points to just how much the new TV deal has enhanced the value of all franchises to the point where the Lions are still turning a profit at 20,000 per game. That's a huge reason why there are 19 potential buyers.
The TSN's $40 million a year all but covers each team's $5-million salary cap, leaving gate receipts, sponsorships, advertising and in-stadium revenues to pay for training camp (often subsidized by a host community), staff, travel, scouting, rent, etc.

If a team draws 20,000 per game nine times, at an average ticket price of, say, $60, that's $10.8 million from ticket sales. If the average price is $40, that's still $7.2 million at the gate alone, before any other revenue is counted.
My opinion ...

The CFL as a TV product has excellent value. Look at today's semifinal games. Exciting games. The rules and structure of the game are outstanding.

Huge upside for CFL teams, it seems to me.

Huge talent base of players. Both Canadian and American. Huge talent base of coaches throughout North America in all the colleges and high schools.

Gotta be well run of course. Keep building the bases in each city.

It is my opinion also that over time the NFL wannabe nature of some Canadian football fandom will fade. The NFL is so big, with so many problems, with so little chance for almost any of the 32 teams to win the title, that it will fade, at least with the Canadian population that has an excellent alternative, the CFL. When that wannabe nature fades it may open the eyes of Canadian sports fans to what they have right here in Canada.

And even without a conversion of some NFL wannabe types or devout NFL fans, the CFL game should be in good shape moving forward.

Just IMO ...

If Braley makes some capital gains on the Lions, so be it. He has earned it. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I hope that Braley doesn't sell the team to an NFL wanabe. I know he wouldn't do it on purpose and this is probably why he will take his time with the sale.

Hopefully the new owner doesn't turn into a NFL wanabe in disguise.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I hope that Braley doesn't sell the team to an NFL wanabe. I know he wouldn't do it on purpose and this is probably why he will take his time with the sale.

Not to be confrontational, just out of curiosity, is there anyone out there who might be a potential suitor and who you would classify as such?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

sj-roc wrote:
DanoT wrote:I hope that Braley doesn't sell the team to an NFL wanabe. I know he wouldn't do it on purpose and this is probably why he will take his time with the sale.

Not to be confrontational, just out of curiosity, is there anyone out there who might be a potential suitor and who you would classify as such?
I don't trust Aquilini (sp?).

Also a lot of billionaires have gained their wealth by being hard nosed and by not letting their competitors know what they were up to or what their real intent was. So yeah I am nervous about new owners.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
sj-roc wrote:

I don't trust Aquilini (sp?).

Also a lot of billionaires have gained their wealth by being hard nosed and by not letting their competitors know what they were up to or what their real intent was. So yeah I am nervous about new owners.
I don't know a lot about Aquilini as to why you would distrust him so I'll leave that point alone but it's worth mentioning a relationship between the NHL & CFL teams in the same market is not necessarily a bad thing as it seems to be working out in Cgy where to my understanding the Flames basically own the Stamps.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

In a wide-ranging three minute video addressing a number of league topics — including reference to the futures of WB & JT — David Naylor reports that the Argos' field configuration at BMO Field beginning next year may include endzones shortened to 17 yards each.

Link to video: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/insider-tra ... ows~757995
CardiacKid
Legend

sj-roc wrote:
DanoT wrote:I don't trust Aquilini (sp?).

I don't know a lot about Aquilini as to why you would distrust him so I'll leave that point alone but it's worth mentioning a relationship between the NHL & CFL teams in the same market is not necessarily a bad thing as it seems to be working out in Cgy where to my understanding the Flames basically own the Stamps.
I am leery of Aquilini owning the team, not because of anything to do with the man (as I don't know him from a hole in the snow) but I am fearful of the team becoming the red-headed step-sister to the Canucks.

With the Flames-Stamps relationship, I believe the Flames are owned by a consortium or a team of owners who can spread their attention amongst their "offspring". I have no idea if the dynamics of the Flames ownership is conducive to all the teams they own but I would prefer a team owner who is a Lions supporter and fan above any other sports team.

A big request yes, but I think it is better for the long-term future of the club at this point. Especially with things the way they are in terms of fan support and team profile in Vancouver. The Canucks and Lions can certainly cross-promote and work in tandem in a supportive way irrespective of different ownership...as long as the owners don't dislike each other or hate each other's guts.

Hmmmm.....I see a potential new series on Slice....."Real Sports-Team Owners of Vancouver". See Aquilini throw a glass of wine in the new Lion's owner face and call them a "cheating 'ho".