Lions Need To Clean House

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

whatadisgrace
prospect
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:34 pm

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:51 pm

This team and organization has become a total disgrace, as has this season. Time for Wally, Tedford (entire coaching staff and front office), along with Lulay are all need to go. ******** pathetic.

I can only imagine what The great legendary Bobby Ackles (R.I.P.) must be thinking right now at what's happened to the Lions. All the hard work he did to turn the Lions around has been undone, and Wally is largely to blame for it.

Totally disgusting and disgraceful at the state of this team.

InUrFace
Rookie
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Just heard LU and the other radio personality on 1410 saying that Wally will assessed if he will step down or look at an extension after 2016 that will be offered to him or has been. Now if he stays and gets an extension ... Im done and I feel season ticket holders will be too. Also Farhan on 1410 said keep Washington he hasnt done anything bad enough to be let go. Wow! is he serious .. does he see the same games we do. Sure there has been improvements
but nothing to jump out your seat over. So everyone what are your thoughts????? Specially season ticket holders on here.

almo89
Legend
Posts: 1846
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:51 am
Location: Coquitlam

Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:47 pm

InUrFace wrote:Just heard LU and the other radio personality on 1410 saying that Wally will assessed if he will step down or look at an extension after 2016 that will be offered to him or has been. Now if he stays and gets an extension ... Im done and I feel season ticket holders will be too. Also Farhan on 1410 said keep Washington he hasnt done anything bad enough to be let go. Wow! is he serious .. does he see the same games we do. Sure there has been improvements
but nothing to jump out your seat over. So everyone what are your thoughts????? Specially season ticket holders on here.
If Washington is being influenced by Wally, maybe he deserves a second shot? I rather them let Tedford hire his assistants and Wally step down. Then we can really evaluate Tedford. Wally has been past his due date for a while now. Wally has the benefit of having tons of talent on his teams in the past, but it hasn't been the same since Obie left.

maxlion
Champion
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:49 am

Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:57 pm

I would be surprised but not shocked if Wally stepped down. I would be more surprised if he signed an extension as I would guess he's taking things year by year at this stage in his career.

As for the coaches:

Washington's body of work as a DC has been below average, but not terrible. The last half of this year was decent, and he seems very engaged and respected by the players. However, I doubt that he gets another year.

Cortez had no qb for the first 2/3 of the year, and managed to develop Jennings into the best young qb in the league. He is not purrfect, but he did his job. Unless there is behind the scenese animosity between him and other members of the organization, I expect him back next year, and think we'd be better for it.

McMann is gone, no need to discuss further.

Tedford had some growing pains but brought a more professional culture to practices, and had a young team rounding into form leading into the playoffs. The last game was a disappointmemt, but I'd give him another chance.
Last edited by maxlion on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The_Pauser
Legend
Posts: 2182
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:36 pm

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:24 pm

While I agree that we need to clean house (not a fan of Skulsky's work, and Buono appears to be past his best before date), and we definitely need new coordinators, I do find it amusing how every year people on here call for the coaches heads. Even going back to 2013 people were calling for Stubler to be fired, and look how big of a mistake that was.
THINK about it

User avatar
CardiacKid
Legend
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 am
Location: Under Christmas Hill, Saanich

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:45 pm

If the Lions are going to clean house, they better get on it quick because the Rough Riders already have a big jump on lining up replacements. Maybe they should take advantage of the fact they are in Calgary and start interviewing people in the Stampeders organization because it seems all the prominent names for moving up the food chain seem to be located there.

I, for one, would like to see Tedford see out his contract. Maybe Blake Nill at UBC should be making the jump to the CFL; the Lions Special Teams might be a good landing spot. Perhaps Barrin Miles could be tempted to move back west...he flourished when Dave Ritchie was DC, maybe he learned a thing or two that can be imparted upon our defense.

One big plus for whomever is left after the dust settles has got to be the fact our QB situation is clearer now. Travis had a kick at the can to be the hero, to show he still had some gas in the tank to deliver the goods on the football field. But it wasn't to be. If the guy is agreeable, keep him as backup/mentor but clearly state Jennings is the starter and plan from there forthwith!

User avatar
cromartie
Hall of Famer
Posts: 4720
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:31 pm
Location: Cleveland, usually

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:48 pm

I imagine I'll be typing this until my fingers fall off.

When Wally walked in in 2003, he didn't change much of the coaching staff. Buratto was retained, as was Arslanian.

It was after that season that changes were made.

No reason to expect the same thing shouldn't happen here. Head Coach stays. The rest of the house gets broomed.

Do that too often, though and you turn into Winnipeg.

User avatar
MikeAK
All Star
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:12 pm

All I know is that this past season was my least favorite in a very long time. Far smarter people than me will hopefully have a better idea on what needs to happen. One thing is a sure thing with me though. I love the CFL and the Lions so I need a better product next year. This season was brutal for me.

BakeTEAM1040
prospect
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 am

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:48 pm

CardiacKid wrote:If the Lions are going to clean house, they better get on it quick because the Rough Riders already have a big jump on lining up replacements. Maybe they should take advantage of the fact they are in Calgary and start interviewing people in the Stampeders organization because it seems all the prominent names for moving up the food chain seem to be located there.

I, for one, would like to see Tedford see out his contract. Maybe Blake Nill at UBC should be making the jump to the CFL; the Lions Special Teams might be a good landing spot. Perhaps Barrin Miles could be tempted to move back west...he flourished when Dave Ritchie was DC, maybe he learned a thing or two that can be imparted upon our defense.

One big plus for whomever is left after the dust settles has got to be the fact our QB situation is clearer now. Travis had a kick at the can to be the hero, to show he still had some gas in the tank to deliver the goods on the football field. But it wasn't to be. If the guy is agreeable, keep him as backup/mentor but clearly state Jennings is the starter and plan from there forthwith!
I doubt Blake Nill is leaving UBC after one year to coach the Lions special teams. He's made commitments to recruits, and has a long term plan to turn the program around.

User avatar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: Kerrisdale

Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:59 pm

BakeTEAM1040 wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:If the Lions are going to clean house, they better get on it quick because the Rough Riders already have a big jump on lining up replacements. Maybe they should take advantage of the fact they are in Calgary and start interviewing people in the Stampeders organization because it seems all the prominent names for moving up the food chain seem to be located there.

I, for one, would like to see Tedford see out his contract. Maybe Blake Nill at UBC should be making the jump to the CFL; the Lions Special Teams might be a good landing spot. Perhaps Barrin Miles could be tempted to move back west...he flourished when Dave Ritchie was DC, maybe he learned a thing or two that can be imparted upon our defense.

One big plus for whomever is left after the dust settles has got to be the fact our QB situation is clearer now. Travis had a kick at the can to be the hero, to show he still had some gas in the tank to deliver the goods on the football field. But it wasn't to be. If the guy is agreeable, keep him as backup/mentor but clearly state Jennings is the starter and plan from there forthwith!
I doubt Blake Nill is leaving UBC after one year to coach the Lions special teams. He's made commitments to recruits, and has a long term plan to turn the program around.
Not to mention there's likely a lot more job security in his UBC gig than at the pro level. He could end up lasting out his retirement at Point Grey. Join the Lions and it could be a pretty short tour of duty.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.

User avatar
Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 6820
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:15 pm

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:10 pm

A lot of the problem lies with OBie's departure, then Shivers'. The Lions have lost a ton in the Scouting department.

As for coaching, Wally's paw prints are all over the coaching staff day to day. McMann has no business on a CFL sideline, yet year after year Wally protects "Wally's guy". Benevides was Wally's scapegoat, and there will have to be others, I'm guessing George Cortez even though he had no qb until the last 3 weeks of the season, while McMann soldiers on in ineptitude but Wally's good graces.

There's a solution; get Wally into a non football job in the Front Office, and let Tedford actually coach the team...and send McMann home to Montreal.

User avatar
CardiacKid
Legend
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 am
Location: Under Christmas Hill, Saanich

Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:42 am

Gary Lawless has reported that Neil McEvoy is getting some consideration to move to a different team. And depending on the position, he is ready to do so...
So whether the Lions are prepared or not to cut some umbilical cords, other teams may do the dirty work for the Leos. Just maybe......

User avatar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer
Posts: 7539
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:39 pm
Location: Kerrisdale

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:15 am

Sekeres on 1040 right now arguing for Wally to step aside. His tsn1040.ca online poll question for his show today is that very question: should he be dismissed? Still early times but currently running 60% yes.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.

User avatar
CardiacKid
Legend
Posts: 1446
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 am
Location: Under Christmas Hill, Saanich

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:46 am

Whether you agree or not that Wally has to go along with a portion of the coaching staff, I think we can all agree there has to be a viable alternative available should it come to that.

I think we have seen too many instances in recent years of the Leos jettisoning players without adequate replacements at hand. I am sure others will argue quite convincingly that the same occured with some of the Leo's coaching staff.

John Murphy, Assistant GM in Calgary, is a name that is being frequently bandied about right now for making the move to GM. The guy's background is personnel....so perhaps a very good potential fit for the Lions. But beyond him? The names that apparently are getting the most exposure with the Riders are Hufnagel and Jones in Edmonton.

Maybe there simply aren't a lot of guys who are flying under the radar who are GM material?

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9217
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:52 am

Interesting poll. I don't believe Wally is the problem so I voted No but if John Hufnagel were available and willing to take on a new challenge I would happily welcome him.

I still think Wally is an asset whose experience and success enhances the value of the organization. If David Braley sells the club next year, the new owner will be free to offer Wally an extension or bring in a new GM. Braley is not going to make any long-term commitments unless they enhance his bottom line in the short term.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests