Pubs in Kits to watch WSF

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

Hi there, I'm wondering if there are any Linebackers that are planning to watch Sunday's game in either the Cove Pub or Wolf and Hound Pub, both pubs being close to Alma St on the Point Grey/Kits border. I'm planning to go to one of these to see if the WSF is on, given the team to the south is a later game. Just checking.....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:Hi there, I'm wondering if there are any Linebackers that are planning to watch Sunday's game in either the Cove Pub or Wolf and Hound Pub, both pubs being close to Alma St on the Point Grey/Kits border. I'm planning to go to one of these to see if the WSF is on, given the team to the south is a later game. Just checking.....
I don't see either of these listed here among the Lions' "Preferred Pubs" so you might be taking your chances in terms of an optimal game day pub experience.

http://bclions.com/preferredpubs

Having said that, you might be taking your chances even if you go to one of the places on this list. I was at Original Joe's near Broadway & Cambie a couple years ago (who were on the list at the time and still remain there) but it wasn't really anything to make me go back for a repeat experience (I had a thread about it in the Events Room, which is prob where this thread also belongs).

To be honest, mostly on account of the Lions being a distant #2 on the local sports landscape, I'd say it's probably tough to find an optimal Lions game day pub experience anywhere in this city (but I stand to be corrected on that) because either too many of the tv's are tuned into something else, the tv's that are tuned in don't have sound, most of the people in the pub aren't there to watch the game (it's just another trip to the pub for them which is fine but it's a much better atmosphere when everyone there is sharing in the experience), or whatever. In my experience this has often been the case for the Lions even during the heady days of the Ackles II era, and probably even more so nowadays as the Lions' hold on their default #2 market position has become more tenuous.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
jwbavalon
Rookie

I think Dusty was just asking if anyone was going to either of the pubs. I would imagine he wants to know if another "forum fan" was going to one he would join.

Go Lions Go.
dupsdell1
Champion

All Pubs will have on the NFL nobody even knows the Lions are playing.
pennw
Legend

dupsdell1 wrote:All Pubs will have on the NFL nobody even knows the Lions are playing.
Why do you keep doing this ? Do you just like to taunt the BC fans or get a reaction ? When in a previous post some one wanted you banned many of us stuck up for you , including me . Next that's not going to happen as you really Re coming across as nothing more than a troll . On some other message boards you would already be banned for trolling .
And for your info , CFL ratings are typically higher than NFL. If you are such a Seahawks fan , there are Seahawks massage boards , who knows maybe they will still make the playoffs . Or maybe not .
If you actually are a Lions fan like you claim , why do you continually taunt us ?
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:All Pubs will have on the NFL nobody even knows the Lions are playing.
Why do you keep doing this ? Do you just like to taunt the BC fans or get a reaction ? When in a previous post some one wanted you banned many of us stuck up for you , including me . Next that's not going to happen as you really Re coming across as nothing more than a troll . On some other message boards you would already be banned for trolling .
And for your info , CFL ratings are typically higher than NFL. If you are such a Seahawks fan , there are Seahawks massage boards , who knows maybe they will still make the playoffs . Or maybe not .
If you actually are a Lions fan like you claim , why do you continually taunt us ?
Perhaps this is a good opportunity for certain people to review some of the rules of this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4#p5

Here's an excerpt, with emphasis as presented in the original:
admin wrote:Rule No. 3
Please respect other posters. This forum is intended as a place to build friendships, Personal attacks will not be tolerated. This site is a hobby and people who make it a pain in the butt to run or any users who continually start squabbles and garner complaints will be punted from the forum.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

We need an "ignore" option.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

jwbavalon wrote:I think Dusty was just asking if anyone was going to either of the pubs. I would imagine he wants to know if another "forum fan" was going to one he would join.

Go Lions Go.
That's a fair point and one I respect. I just felt it was worth mentioning that the pub experience in this city might not be as good as one might hope for, and I offered some reasons based on my own experience. Having said that, the Lions sometimes arrange viewing parties (which I believe was mentioned in the thread I referenced) where the game is the feature attraction at the venue in question (usually somewhere downtown) and if I'm not mistaken the event is usually even emceed by personnel from the team's business ops. I have no idea whether this is the case for tomorrow's game but it might be worth looking into for anyone so inclined.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:We need an "ignore" option.
We have that foe list thing, which I've tried in the past and found isn't as effective as it could be. The problem is that if you put someone on your foe list, yes, you don't see what they're posting, but you still get a blank placeholder post from them. This placeholder shows up if you use the "View new posts" feature, even if this placeholder is the only new post in the thread, so it wastes time clicking to see that this is the case for a thread that you're otherwise interested in reading. If someone's on your foe list, you not only don't want to see their posts, you also don't even want to know THAT they posted.

And this is all aside from the matter of how when others (non-foes) post quotes of foes' posts in reply, these quotes don't get filtered from your feed.

Not pointing any fingers at those who manage this board; rather, this strikes me as simply a flaw in the underlying third party software used to support the running of the board.
Dusty
Champion

Oh.... well in that case, I won't bother going to the pub to watch the game.... I still have a portable radio so I'll just stay home and listen to the radio broadcast.
Thanks for your advice.... saves me a 5 minute walk....
pennw
Legend

I would think that this poster is in violation of that rule3 you posted , but it's not my call to make either . I can't see any other reason for him to post stuff like the above , other than to bother fellow board members .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Wrongo. Had to get Overtime here in FSJohn to put the Lions game on alright. NFL is in such high deman they had half the TVS on curling and the other half on a NASCAR race that was in in rain delay.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

Wrongo in Kits as well. After dithering about whether to go or not, I went the the Cove Pub where 50% of the tv screens had the Lions game on....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:Wrongo in Kits as well. After dithering about whether to go or not, I went the the Cove Pub where 50% of the tv screens had the Lions game on....
That's good to hear, even if the result wasn't there. Did they have sound?
Dusty
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
Dusty wrote:Wrongo in Kits as well. After dithering about whether to go or not, I went the the Cove Pub where 50% of the tv screens had the Lions game on....
That's good to hear, even if the result wasn't there. Did they have sound?
Not where I was sitting upstairs..... there were a few guys already watching the Pats game when I arrived so they had the sound on upstairs. I had the big screen so I was happy and did not miss the TSN sound.