New BC Lions Jersey for 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

Kamloops Lion wrote:I am a traditionalist and still cling to the unis of the 1960s to 1980s, but these new ones are pretty damn sweet.

Agreed. I will have to stop in at Sports 'n Stuff in Chilliwack next time I am off to the coast.....
David
Team Captain

Well, the jersey unveiling lived up to my expectations. I didn't think I'd like the new look, and I don't.

“The biggest thought was to look at the future. It’s about the younger generation; a refresh" (Dennis Skulsky). Yup, as I suggested earlier, it's always the teams struggling at the gate or in the standings that feel they need to completely redesign their uniforms as a gimmick to attract younger fans. It's never the Green Bay Packers, Montreal Canadiens, or New York Yankees.

* Let's not even talk about the away uniforms. Just an embarrassment; a complete afterthought. Orange on white? Different pantone than the home orange? Yuck. Creamsicles. This part of the unveiling should have been called "Orange Is The No Black."

* I don't like the logo redesign. It looks like a bloated orange polar bear (we now look more like the Edmonton Eskimos than the Edmonton Eskimos!).

* Traditional logo on the base of the back (like a 'tramp stamp' tattoo). Not a big fan.

* Looks like they're selling weird style numbers on the fan jerseys. Hope the club doesn't wear them; only the ones shown this morning.

* I like black shoulders for the home uniforms, but could live without the line going across.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Overall, I'm fairly good with the results, but, not to be overly negative, the ad patch remains awful. It isn't even properly placed, overlapping onto the shoulder section. And the nameplates also look like garbage. Can't that excess material be trimmed off? I've got a tailor/alteration person across the street from me that could do a much better job than that.

And can someone explain what it is CP is advertising for? What is it they sell? Space on freight cars?
Alputt
Champion

I am somewhat underwhelmed by the new jerseys... I don't know exactly what I expected but...

I dislike the helmet. Switch to black... OK, but they should have kept the standard logo!

Agree with David about the "tramp stamp" jersey placement of the logo, would rather have seen it on the shoulders.

Hopefully it will grow on me... Hopefully they will switch the helmet back to the actual BC logo soon!
Spud387
Champion

These jerseys will not change this season period. They are already produced and in store. They are as they appear.

New helmet logo is here to stay, I like it, I get where they are going with it and agree it should stay and will market towards younger crowd.

If the tramp stamp get enough complaints they may remove it in a future year, but not this season.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Forgot about the tramp stamp. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that. Cringingly bad. Who the #*@! thought that one up?
Alputt
Champion

“The five stripes along with ‘Lions’ head represents six historic decades of professional football in BC as well as our six Grey Cup wins,” said the club’s senior leader of creative services, Rich Koh, who designed the jersey and helmet logo. “Stripes are easy to add and I anticipate we’ll be adding many more in years to come.”

So you are to blame!

I just don't like it. Every other team has a primary logo and that logo is on the helmet as the signature branding of the team. I don't see how this "attracts a younger crowd". "Young" people aren't stupid they don't care about gimmicks a major attraction of a sports franchise is in it's history and traditions. Consistency is a sign of success.

Oh well.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm not a big fan of the black numbers on orange home jerseys for visibility but at least they're better than black-on-black numbering of the gun-metal jerseys.

I agree with David that the most successful sports brands maintain their uniform designs and colours for decades without making major changes. I like tradition. I like turning on the TV and being able to instantly recognize the teams by their uniforms, and being able to read the numbers and nameplates without eyestrain.
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:* Let's not even talk about the away uniforms. Just an embarrassment; a complete afterthought. Orange on white? Different pantone than the home orange? Yuck. Creamsicles. This part of the unveiling should have been called "Orange Is The No Black."

* I don't like the logo redesign. It looks like a bloated orange polar bear (we now look more like the Edmonton Eskimos than the Edmonton Eskimos!).

* Traditional logo on the base of the back (like a 'tramp stamp' tattoo). Not a big fan.

DH :cool:
I was surprised how retro the overall styling is, yet how different both home and away unis are from the Lion's historic uniforms.

I'm fairly happy with the home--nice to see more black, but I agree with the away being underwhelming. (reminds me a bit of the away Alouettes in the '60s with that orange tone leaning towards red.) Makes no sense to have a different shade of orange from the home. The white lion secondary logo on the orange helmet is something we've never seen; I'm not sure what it will look like in action. The designer explains the rationale for the change --make lions on both sides of the helmet "forward facing" http://ow.ly/NjyS3008Pss

I personally don't like any sports team having reversed home and away logos (like the Maple Leafs and original 1970 Canucks).

It was funny seeing Wally's tweet "love the new logo" when in fact the primary logo is unchanged (but I guess he didn't notice the tramp stamp location of it.)
CardiacKid
Legend

I guess the ultimate arbiter of whether the new jersey(s) are a success or not will be the sales figures and how it impacts the Lions, the CFL and Adidas' bottom line.

One thing that I haven't seen addressed is the possibility of an alternate/third jersey for this upcoming year. That would be an excellent opportunity to provide a truly retro or traditional option for the fan who has a preference for wearing something that harkens back to a team's history. I would be all over buying a proper 70s Lion retro jersey; I have one from when they wore them a few years ago but what was available to the fan wasn't similar to what the players wore (stripe placement different but mostly the wrong orange, not the burnt orange of the 70s).

I also have a soft spot for the jersey from 1970-71; if they offered a proper rendition of that one as an alternate jersey, I would be all over buying that.
s-l225.jpg
Maybe a Roger Edwards-style line of retro themed clothing would be a nice touch to go along with the new redesign of just about everything else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

If that home jersey were a woman, it would never leave my house.

The away kit is total garbage, which I like to think is Skulsky's FU on the way out the door, but the home kit is so awesome I'll let it slide.

That helmet. I've only waited 30 years for someone to emulate the Michigan Panthers with their logo/styling, which was one of the best helmets of all time. I could not possibly be happier with the helmet logo. Fantastic work there.

Now here is my problem.

If you're going to introduce a new logo like this one, as you've done, you should have merchandise with that logo ready upon launch . Everything out there has the current primary logo. So that aspect is disappointing. Also, we still appear to be stuck with that dreadful puffy wordmark as well, so that's a missed opportunity.
Qman
Champion

cromartie wrote:If that home jersey were a woman, it would never leave my house.

The away kit is total garbage, which I like to think is Skulsky's FU on the way out the door, but the home kit is so awesome I'll let it slide.

That helmet. I've only waited 30 years for someone to emulate the Michigan Panthers with their logo/styling, which was one of the best helmets of all time. I could not possibly be happier with the helmet logo. Fantastic work there.

Now here is my problem.

If you're going to introduce a new logo like this one, as you've done, you should have merchandise with that logo ready upon launch . Everything out there has the current primary logo. So that aspect is disappointing. Also, we still appear to be stuck with that dreadful puffy wordmark as well, so that's a missed opportunity.
its not a new logo. Just the design on the helmet. several major US colleges have helmet designs that don't incorporate the official logo.

Home look - jut ok.
Wish it was a cleaner all black
The name bar should be black in current design
Tramp stamp must go

Road look - terrible.
This is so ugly.
I assume they will revert to black helmets and pants by mid-season. This is terrible
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Might be just how my computer is showing the away jersey but is the orange looking more like red?

I appreciate the direction they went in but not sure if I really like it or not. I like the reworking of the logo on the helmet; still respectful of its previous appearance but now it connotes movements and isn't nearly so static looking.

I think it will grow on me......
For a moment I was wondering why the Lions are sporting Stampeder jerseys.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Meh
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Here are the other team's new uniforms

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/05/12/new-season ... as-landed/