New BC Lions Jersey for 2016

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions-Insider
prospect

You heard it here first. A reliable source informed me that the BC Lions will be debuting a new jersey for the 2016 CFL season. Orange will remain the primary color but the overall look and esthetic will change.
The_Pauser
Legend

Lions-Insider wrote:You heard it here first. A reliable source informed me that the BC Lions will be debuting a new jersey for the 2016 CFL season. Orange will remain the primary color but the overall look and esthetic will change.
Actually I didn't hear it here first, I heard it several months ago. The league is switching over from RBK to Adidas jerseys.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

I also have it on good authority that the only reason we did not return to the gun metal jerseys for a game or two this year is because Skulsky doesn't like them. He thinks our identity is orange and should stay in the current colours.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I also have it on good authority that the only reason we did not return to the gun metal jerseys for a game or two this year is because Skulsky doesn't like them. He thinks our identity is orange and should stay in the current colours.

Heard the reason is the poor win record while wearing the gun metal jersey. Anybody know the win/loss record in those unis ?
David
Team Captain

We won in them the very first time we wore them (against Calgary on August 17, 2013). We lost the next time we wore them (Saskatchewan) then I think we only wore them one more time after than (on the road against Toronto).

The 'losing' is just a convenient excuse for personal bias, just like Wally prefers the roof closed as it's too cold (read: he thinks the building is louder and gives the club a competitive advantage). Other teams like the Whitecaps put fans' interests first.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:I also have it on good authority that the only reason we did not return to the gun metal jerseys for a game or two this year is because Skulsky doesn't like them. He thinks our identity is orange and should stay in the current colours.

I never like the black on black. It's too hard to make out the numbers. And I hate alternate jerseys in general. Pick a primary colour and stick with it. Most successful sports brands stick with the uniforms that people recognize instantly.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

One of the many reasons I won't miss him when he's gone.
CardiacKid
Legend

The way the gun-metal jersey flew off the shelves when first introduced, makes me think they contributed a healthy dose of $ to the Lions bottom line. If he has a problem with that, I would be more than happy to help relieve his discomfort by getting some of our $ back :tease:
David
Team Captain

Respectfully, B.C.FAN, you're one of the few who loathed them, and I know you're a proponent of the 'pick one uniform and stick with it' tradition, but from a Marketing standpoint, these 3rds were a home run. In fact, many attending games at BC Place today are wearing this jersey even though the club hasn't played in them in over a year!

I could see this avant-garde look being embraced by the the many new players on the Lions (they're the youngest team in the league), and if you believe in the "look good, feel good, play good" theory that a lot of players subscribe too, we could get a boost with them.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

VANCOUVER - Lions Nation loves the matte black helmets, the gun metal grey, super hero uniforms. But, the fact is, it’s the effect on the players that is really transforming.

“Honestly, the reaction from the crowd juiced us up more than anything,” explained defensive end Keron Williams. “When we came out, and the look was revealed, the crowd took a gasp. Then, they just erupted. If we can go into a game with that type of energy in the building, it just makes you play at a higher level.”

Williams is referring to the electricity at BC Place on Aug. 17, when the third uniform design to mark the franchise’s 60th year anniversary season made its first appearance against the Calgary Stampeders.

Friday night, the Saskatchewan Roughriders are in town and the Lions can hardly wait to put on the blur-tempo togs for the second time.

"Once you get your opponents’ eyes off the game, and they’re looking at what you’re wearing, that’s an advantage for you,” Williams said. “The first time we had them on, we played Calgary. We knew how big that game was. The uniforms were a positive part of that. When you look good, you play good. Deion Sanders said that years ago. It was just added incentive, going against a divisional opponent. We just want to make another statement, wearing the black on black.”

Fashion forward among the CFL’s eight teams, the Lions’ branding strategy quickly turned an obligatory piece of function into a trendsetting statement.

Hundreds of the replica jerseys at $139 a pop were available to fans on reveal night in August and sold out just after half time. Since then, the Lions have been trying to fill back orders through Reebok, the official equipment supplier to the CFL.

"We knew we had something special,” said Lions marketing director Stefan Kalenchuk. “Quite frankly, we didn’t know it would be that special. We had shipments due for Oct. 1 and Nov. 1, but we’ve asked Reebok to expedite the second and third shipments to fill hundreds of back orders. We’re getting close to having that done.”

Rather than go with a retro design in their 60th year, the Lions took a Star Trek, The Next Generation approach with their futuristic threads which, despite the boffo introduction, were not greeted with universal approval.

For broadcasters, reporters and fans not equipped with Zoomies, the numbers are hard to pick up.

Kalenchuk is aware of the quibble, but the football club doesn’t want to mess with the overall effect by changing that one perceived flaw in the look.

“I've heard a few people suggest we should make the outline of the number easier to read, with solid white or solid orange numbers,” he said. “But we feel that would compromise the design that visually sets off the uniform. Graphite black lettering, with orange trim, the gun metal grey jerseys and the matte black helmets . . . when players like Dante Marsh and Andrew Harris are wearing their visors they look like super heroes. We know from our sales that people love it. It’s really been embraced in all corners of the province.”

And elsewhere.

NFL fashionista Chad Johnson/Ochocinco, whose best years as a receiver came in the black and orange of the Cincinnati Bengals, tweeted his opinion and gave the Lions third jersey a two-thumbs-up.

"Other players from around the league were tweeting about it and envious of it,” Kalenchuk said. “It continues to be a hot topic and it has become something, obviously, our team needs to wear for big games.”
(SOURCE: Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun - 10/2/13)

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

They do look pretty cool. Off the grid of what might be perceived as "football basic." Stylin' ...

I've always loved that paw. From the 1960s I think.

Skulsky doesn't like them? Well, it seems that the Lions' brand has been in decline on Skulsky's watch. Defer to the experts in business? Ummm, it seems to me that one should defer to the fans. In business, it is usually best to give the customers what they want. Listen to the customers. Whether it is about the roof, or the jersesy, or the style of football. Whatever ...

And of course fans have diverse preferences.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

I love the gunmetal jerseys, very different than what we've seen in the CFL over the years.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Respectfully, B.C.FAN, you're one of the few who loathed them, and I know you're a proponent of the 'pick one uniform and stick with it' tradition, but from a Marketing standpoint, these 3rds were a home run. In fact, many attending games at BC Place today are wearing this jersey even though the club hasn't played in them in over a year!

I could see this avant-garde look being embraced by the the many new players on the Lions (they're the youngest team in the league), and if you believe in the "look good, feel good, play good" theory that a lot of players subscribe too, we could get a boost with them.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

VANCOUVER - Lions Nation loves the matte black helmets, the gun metal grey, super hero uniforms. But, the fact is, it’s the effect on the players that is really transforming.

“Honestly, the reaction from the crowd juiced us up more than anything,” explained defensive end Keron Williams. “When we came out, and the look was revealed, the crowd took a gasp. Then, they just erupted. If we can go into a game with that type of energy in the building, it just makes you play at a higher level.”

Williams is referring to the electricity at BC Place on Aug. 17, when the third uniform design to mark the franchise’s 60th year anniversary season made its first appearance against the Calgary Stampeders.

Friday night, the Saskatchewan Roughriders are in town and the Lions can hardly wait to put on the blur-tempo togs for the second time.

"Once you get your opponents’ eyes off the game, and they’re looking at what you’re wearing, that’s an advantage for you,” Williams said. “The first time we had them on, we played Calgary. We knew how big that game was. The uniforms were a positive part of that. When you look good, you play good. Deion Sanders said that years ago. It was just added incentive, going against a divisional opponent. We just want to make another statement, wearing the black on black.”

Fashion forward among the CFL’s eight teams, the Lions’ branding strategy quickly turned an obligatory piece of function into a trendsetting statement.

Hundreds of the replica jerseys at $139 a pop were available to fans on reveal night in August and sold out just after half time. Since then, the Lions have been trying to fill back orders through Reebok, the official equipment supplier to the CFL.

"We knew we had something special,” said Lions marketing director Stefan Kalenchuk. “Quite frankly, we didn’t know it would be that special. We had shipments due for Oct. 1 and Nov. 1, but we’ve asked Reebok to expedite the second and third shipments to fill hundreds of back orders. We’re getting close to having that done.”

Rather than go with a retro design in their 60th year, the Lions took a Star Trek, The Next Generation approach with their futuristic threads which, despite the boffo introduction, were not greeted with universal approval.

For broadcasters, reporters and fans not equipped with Zoomies, the numbers are hard to pick up.

Kalenchuk is aware of the quibble, but the football club doesn’t want to mess with the overall effect by changing that one perceived flaw in the look.

“I've heard a few people suggest we should make the outline of the number easier to read, with solid white or solid orange numbers,” he said. “But we feel that would compromise the design that visually sets off the uniform. Graphite black lettering, with orange trim, the gun metal grey jerseys and the matte black helmets . . . when players like Dante Marsh and Andrew Harris are wearing their visors they look like super heroes. We know from our sales that people love it. It’s really been embraced in all corners of the province.”

And elsewhere.

NFL fashionista Chad Johnson/Ochocinco, whose best years as a receiver came in the black and orange of the Cincinnati Bengals, tweeted his opinion and gave the Lions third jersey a two-thumbs-up.

"Other players from around the league were tweeting about it and envious of it,” Kalenchuk said. “It continues to be a hot topic and it has become something, obviously, our team needs to wear for big games.”
(SOURCE: Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun - 10/2/13)

Skulsky is totally out of touch with recent trends. Yup, when something gives the fan a buzz and is popular, get rid of it. Go with something else.
BC 1988
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:

They do look pretty cool. Off the grid of what might be perceived as "football basic." Stylin' ...

I've always loved that paw. From the 1960s I think.

Skulsky doesn't like them? Well, it seems that the Lions' brand has been in decline on Skulsky's watch. Defer to the experts in business? Ummm, it seems to me that one should defer to the fans. In business, it is usually best to give the customers what they want. Listen to the customers. Whether it is about the roof, or the jersesy, or the style of football. Whatever ...

And of course fans have diverse preferences.
I like the paw too. It was very imaginative for its time. Orange paw on black helmet was first introduced in 1962. BC used it in the 2006 GC as black paw on an orange helmet.

I find nothing but an orange color jersey with white lettering to be very boring. They need more variety.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

I can't stand listening to Skulsky OR Wally explaining their reasoning for do what the do. Whether it's the roof, jerseys, or ticket prices, they flat out lie to their own fans. Wally makes me sick when he talks about the roof, blaming the cold. BS.
I didn't renew this year for various reasons, but one was I couldn't get a good explanation for the yearly price increase, and the negative rewards for renewing. "Renew and we won't raise your ticket prices ". I'll renew when Skulsky is gone.
The only thing I agree on is orange being the primary jersey colour .
Spud387
Champion

Something I have always thought about was, what about updating the logo?

Yes I know the CFL is very stuck in tradition and heritage, but the generations that are so attached to those things are getting older and the younger generations (myself at 29) and younger aren't nearly that attached. (Especially those that don't even attend games or follow the team closely.)

I am not talking about reinventing the wheel, but a modern update, making the logo more vectored. This could help rejuvenate the organizations image, marketing it more to younger audiences. Before you discount it remember, the BC Lions NEED to attract younger audiences. If they fail to do this, it might not effect them now, but in 10-20yrs there may not be an interested fanbase to attend games. Just something to think about and discuss.

Best example is the CFL's very own Tiger-Cats. Compare the following:
Pre-2004 Logo

Post-2004 Logo