HARRIS Resign or Not ..Wally

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

InUrFace
Rookie

So in the province today theres a article talking about Harris if Wally will resign him. Well we know Wally and his ways with Vets and how he treats them in the past. Heres the door without explanation or a thanks and without a hand shake. So my question to all you Lionbackers .. Do you think Wally will show the door or will Harris be resigned. Now look at Wallys past decision making about Vets carefully before answering this question. Personally I feel a gut instinct that Harris will be given a under paid contract by Wally and he will be running the ball down our throats next season. Wally is cheap and he most likely would want to go younger and pay less. Thats his type of mind set. enjoy the article and lets see what you Lionbackers have to say.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... index.html
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Harris will be back. I'm surprised that he and Jon Cornish are paid a lot less than several Canadian offensive and defensive linemen. When healthy, they're two of the best players in the league. Being ratio-changing Canadians, they should be paid well over $200,000 each. As one of the faces of the franchise, Harris is worth more than $200,000 in public-relations value to the Lions.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

InUrFace wrote:So in the province today theres a article talking about Harris if Wally will resign him. Well we know Wally and his ways with Vets and how he treats them in the past. Heres the door without explanation or a thanks and without a hand shake. So my question to all you Lionbackers .. Do you think Wally will show the door or will Harris be resigned. Now look at Wallys past decision making about Vets carefully before answering this question. Personally I feel a gut instinct that Harris will be given a under paid contract by Wally and he will be running the ball down our throats next season. Wally is cheap and he most likely would want to go younger and pay less. Thats his type of mind set. enjoy the article and lets see what you Lionbackers have to say.

I hope the Andrew comes back but only under the right circumstances. This is about his career and future, and he should not agree to come back to the Lions unless serious changes are made to the on and off field product. Harris possesses HUGE value league wide, and he shouldn't just "fall back" to the Lions without making sure its the right move for him.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Harris will be back. I'm surprised that he and Jon Cornish are paid a lot less than several Canadian offensive and defensive linemen. When healthy, they're two of the best players in the league. Being ratio-changing Canadians, they should be paid well over $200,000 each. As one of the faces of the franchise, Harris is worth more than $200,000 in public-relations value to the Lions.
Agreed. As well, I will say that Harris is one of my all time favourite football players. In any league. At any time. IMO he is still greatly underrated, and even under-appreciated. In a strong offence, with a strong O Line, he would be devastating for any defence.

Just as he was in our Grey Cup win. His running instincts are second to none. Just look at his TD in that game, where he was about to be hit by three defenders. He influenced one to run by. He took the other shot so that it pushed him slightly forward, and the third could not stop the momentum. I think there were 3 guys. Not going to check. But my point is how terrific his RB instincts are.

As well, he is fast. Strong. Elusive. Moves the pile. Receiving? Second to none.

He deserves much better than the offence we have had since that Cup win.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
InUrFace
Rookie

MexicoLionFan wrote:
InUrFace wrote:So in the province today theres a article talking about Harris if Wally will resign him. Well we know Wally and his ways with Vets and how he treats them in the past. Heres the door without explanation or a thanks and without a hand shake. So my question to all you Lionbackers .. Do you think Wally will show the door or will Harris be resigned. Now look at Wallys past decision making about Vets carefully before answering this question. Personally I feel a gut instinct that Harris will be given a under paid contract by Wally and he will be running the ball down our throats next season. Wally is cheap and he most likely would want to go younger and pay less. Thats his type of mind set. enjoy the article and lets see what you Lionbackers have to say.

I hope the Andrew comes back but only under the right circumstances. This is about his career and future, and he should not agree to come back to the Lions unless serious changes are made to the on and off field product. Harris possesses HUGE value league wide, and he shouldn't just "fall back" to the Lions without making sure its the right move for him.
This I agree with ..so right ...changes need to be made in many areas and mostly.. Hate to keep saying it. Wally!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Quotes from the article by Ed Willes ...
When faced with signing a veteran player who may be approaching his best-before date, Buono will always err on the side of jettisoning that player too soon rather than too late.
True. For better or worse.
“At the end of the season, we’ll make up our minds,” said Buono. “I’m not making those kind of decisions after 12 games. I don’t have enough information right now. Let’s wait for the end of this season and, hopefully, a couple of playoff games.”
Baloney. You have had six seasons to evaluate Andrew Harris. Honour him. Pay him. Waiting to see if he gets hurt? Waiting to see if his productivity slows down? :dizzy: Honour him. Or lose him. He deserves better.
“I think there’s a body of work there and I should be compensated in a certain way,” said Harris. “If they don’t want to do it, I think someone will.”
Absolutely right. And he will run the ball down our throats, playing in a dynamic offence. "There is a body of work there." Gawd ... But, no, Wally is waiting, and waiting. For what? To see if there will be damaged goods? To see if he can lowball Andrew? Wally has not been able to evaluate Andrew after 6 years? Waiting for divine intervention?
And if that sounds ominous, it’s because, well, it is.
Then things changed abruptly.
Yes. Keyed on by 12 men. No other option scared the defences.

"Over, under, around and through." As a running back, that is Andrew Harris.

Lowball him at your peril, Wally.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If Buono decides to let Harris walk, then Buono should follow him out the same door.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If Wally wants to wait and see before signing Harris, I would like to see season ticket holders contact the Lions and tell them that they are not going to renew tickets until they wait and see if Harris is still a Lion before spending any $$.

The thing that worries me is the amount of very questionable player personnel decisions this year and so I got a bad feeling about another bone headed decision that might be coming regarding Harris. If the Lion brain trust has a brain cramp the result could cause a huge erosion of the fan base. :dizzy:
Blitz
Team Captain

the end of the season, we’ll make up our minds,” said Buono. “I’m not making those kind of decisions after 12 games. I don’t have enough information right now. Let’s wait for the end of this season and, hopefully, a couple of playoff games.”
Wally is insane. No way do you let Harris go to free agency. There will be teams that will outbid us. Wally is cheap. Wally should have signed Harris to an extension before this season started or at least mid-season this year.

What does Wally need to 'wait and see'. Harris is the most versatile back in the league - running and catching. Wally has made many of these types of decisions prior to 12 games. He has signed many extensions in the past.

This is just typical Wally game playing and mind 'screwing' stuff. I'm sure Harris is already insulted and feels disrespected after his body of work here.

Wally is still rubbing those marbles together just like Lieutenant Commander Phillip Queeg in the Caine Mutiny. What we need to have happen is a fan mutiny, as Dano T. suggested if Wally blows this one. Enough is enough...we're 4-8 and Wally is dicking around our best offensive player.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Its not like the Lions have drafted, coached up, or signed through free agency any Nationals that can command anywhere near $250k annual salary except Harris. So there are no excuses for Wally.

OTOH if I were Harris at this point I would think, "screw it", just wait for free agency as it appears to be the only way to get the owner's wallet to open. And even then it might take a push from disgruntled Lions fans to get Wally to accept the reality of the new large TV contract CFL.

IMO the only way Wally pays Harris what he is worth is if Wally suddenly realizes that not signing Harris will cause a fan uproar and much more importantly LOOSING HARRIS WILL TARNISH WALLY'S LEGACY. So there is home for us as Wally's pride in his legacy is very important to him.
Blitz
Team Captain

Rushing
Attempts Yards Average Longest TD
HARRIS, A 2010 0 0 0 0
HARRIS, A 2011 96 458 4.8 32 1
HARRIS, A 2012 187 1,112 5.9 61 7
HARRIS, A 2013 198 998 5 25 7
HARRIS, A 2014 122 652 5.3 58 2
HARRIS, A 2015 157 719 4.6 33 4

Receiving

Catches Yds. Avg. Longest TD
HARRIS, A 2010 0 0 0 0
HARRIS, A 2011 30 395 13.2 63 7
HARRIS, A 2012 75 718 9.6 36 4
HARRIS, A 2013 61 513 8.4 40 4
HARRIS, A 2014 46 529 11.5 55 4
HARRIS, A 2015 41 403 9.8 31 2

Harris had his best seasons playing in Chapdelaine's offence, with 2012 his best season.

I don't believe this contract delay is just about money. Its also about power. Wally likes his athletes deferent. I have never thought Harris was wise to criticize our offence or his role in our offence publically, dispite his frustrations. Wally definitely would consider Harris uppity. When Harris was outspoken in 2013, Stefan Logan was quickly here. Harris has been outspoken this year and his contract is being delayed.

Of course money is the major factor but the next few games are not going to have much of an impact on Harris worth. It's exactly the same worth now as he will be at the end of this season and likely Harris' worth will be higher if Wally waits until Harris becomes a free agent.

But Wally will keep Harris waiting while playing power. Harris may leave Wally with his measly cheque in his hand at the end of the season. We're a losing team and other teams may be willing to pay more. for Harris..as we learned with Geroy Simon, Nick Moore, and Ernest Jackson. Free agents have also signed for less rather than play for Wally.

A final point....there was a touch of controversy a couple of weeks back regarding religion and athletes and a post or two that touched on the notion that Wally may prefer Christian athletes/coaches. I didn't comment but I thought everyone who commented had it wrong.

Wally believes in the Church of Wally. He is the one who wants to be god and wants his players and coaches to know it. :wink:

Wally is playing with fire and its not the burning bush.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
JohnHenry
Champion

One caveat is Harris' pass blocking which he has struggled with. This is a passing league with some CFL coaches believing pass blocking is more important than a RB's rushing or receiving ability. Then there's the problem of having a competent national backup RB who can pick up the slack if Andrew gets injured. Could the Lions find an import RB with comparable rushing and receiving skills who's an enthusiastic blocker...who would be paid much less and who could be adequately replaced by a backup import RB if required? :ref:
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
the end of the season, we’ll make up our minds,” said Buono. “I’m not making those kind of decisions after 12 games. I don’t have enough information right now. Let’s wait for the end of this season and, hopefully, a couple of playoff games.”
Wally is insane. No way do you let Harris go to free agency. There will be teams that will outbid us. Wally is cheap. Wally should have signed Harris to an extension before this season started or at least mid-season this year.

What does Wally need to 'wait and see'. Harris is the most versatile back in the league - running and catching. Wally has made many of these types of decisions prior to 12 games. He has signed many extensions in the past.

This is just typical Wally game playing and mind 'screwing' stuff. I'm sure Harris is already insulted and feels disrespected after his body of work here.

Wally is still rubbing those marbles together just like Lieutenant Commander Phillip Queeg in the Caine Mutiny. What we need to have happen is a fan mutiny, as Dano T. suggested if Wally blows this one. Enough is enough...we're 4-8 and Wally is dicking around our best offensive player.
Wally doesn't value nationals. He'd rather have one of his dime a dozen international running backs.

If Harris is hurt, Wally has to replace him with another National. Wally hates that. Wally should go IMO .
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

As good as Harris is, finding teams to pay $200K+ for any NI is not as easy as it sounds. There is no question Harris would be a great acquistion for any team. A few teams need a serious upgrade at the RB position so he's going to get offers.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:One caveat is Harris' pass blocking which he has struggled with. This is a passing league with some CFL coaches believing pass blocking is more important than a RB's rushing or receiving ability. Then there's the problem of having a competent national backup RB who can pick up the slack if Andrew gets injured. Could the Lions find an import RB with comparable rushing and receiving skills who's an enthusiastic blocker...who would be paid much less and who could be adequately replaced by a backup import RB if required? :ref:
I've always considered Harris to be an excellent blocker. He seems to read the pressure well and step up to take blitzing linebackers or DBs. I think he's a better blocker than any international RB the Lions have had in recent years, including Brown and Logan.

One of Harris's complaints about the offence is that the protection schemes too often keep him trapped in the backfield instead of releasing into the flat, where he is most dangerous as a receiver. Chapdelaine's offence used him more as a checkdown receiver for Lulay. The Lions also took a lot more sacks in that offence, though.