HARRIS Resign or Not ..Wally

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

peeby wrote:I'm goin' with the Harris to Winnipeg crowd here. I'm from Winnipeg originally and knew a bunch of ex-Winnipeggers out here. I wouldn't go back for love or money, but I'm alone in that. All these other people I've known swear by the place. Andrew Harris may be one of them. Add to that, that the Bomber playbook was always geared toward having a strong RB. Not sure about now, but they've had some pretty slick ball-carriers over the years. Why wouldn't Harris go if really good money was offered? He has to try and earn as much as he can right now, because it ends in a year or two.

Now, will Travis Lulay join him there? Or maybe SK or MTL?
Winnipeg may not be in a financial position to sign Harris if he doesn't resign with the Lions. Yes, they will have hosted the Grey Cup by the time the free agent window comes up and will likely have a decent pile of cash from that (though apparently they are having a wickedly hard time selling tickets even with the smaller venue). But they will have the same salary cap to deal with as other teams and they already splashed out relatively big-time on free agents the last couple of years; certainly a lot more than the Lions have. Here are the free agents the Bombers signed or extended in the last window:

-Stanley Bryant
-Sam Hurl
-Darvin Adams
-Ivan Brown
-Marc Dile
-Devin Tyler
-Demond Washington
-Matt Bucknor
Add to that Ian Wild who returned after a brief spell in the NFL. Also last year they splashed out for Nick Moore and may still be paying Korey Banks.

I don't have insider access to the Bomber's accounting ledger but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have the financial muscle to compete with other clubs for Harris' signature.
David
Team Captain

Don't forget that the Bombers paid $170,000 for Jamaal Westerman. This was reported by LU in the July 30 Vancouver Province. Nick Moore makes $180,000 (some reports have him at $200,000).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Let's assume that due to Lulay, Elimimian and Beck being on the 6 game IR for part of the season, SMS space for the current 2015 season has been created. Does that mean that the Lions could then re-sign Harris in December with some of the money paid immediately and thus counted against the 2015 SMS?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Let's assume that due to Lulay, Elimimian and Beck being on the 6 game IR for part of the season, SMS space for the current 2015 season has been created. Does that mean that the Lions could then re-sign Harris in December with some of the money paid immediately and thus counted against the 2015 SMS?
Yes. The SMS is based on cash expenditures per calendar year.