HARRIS Resign or Not ..Wally

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

InUrFace
Rookie

DanoT wrote:Its not like the Lions have drafted, coached up, or signed through free agency any Nationals that can command anywhere near $250k annual salary except Harris. So there are no excuses for Wally.

OTOH if I were Harris at this point I would think, "screw it", just wait for free agency as it appears to be the only way to get the owner's wallet to open. And even then it might take a push from disgruntled Lions fans to get Wally to accept the reality of the new large TV contract CFL.

IMO the only way Wally pays Harris what he is worth is if Wally suddenly realizes that not signing Harris will cause a fan uproar and much more importantly LOOSING HARRIS WILL TARNISH WALLY'S LEGACY. So there is home for us as Wally's pride in his legacy is very important to him.
Well agree to disagree... If Wally cared about his legacy he would of never had MB for more than one season and he would of got rid of Mcmann and Washington ... And if he really cared he would of stepped down retired and save face. Yet he didnt ...he cares only about his stubbornness ways and cheap game play with players ...because he feels players dont deserve $$$$ because he when he played in the past he didnt get $$$$.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blue In BC wrote:As good as Harris is, finding teams to pay $200K+ for any NI is not as easy as it sounds. There is no question Harris would be a great acquistion for any team. A few teams need a serious upgrade at the RB position so he's going to get offers.
It's also a position one has to be careful with. Running backs burn out earlier in their career than any other position. In the NFL you can count running backs who are 30+ on one hand. Even a great like Cornish who turns 31 late next month is starting to struggle with durability. He's missed 6 games this year and 9 last year after playing full campaigns the previous 3 years. Harris will be 29 by next training camp. He's getting to that age where the wear and tear can start to catch up. I don't think it's the no-brainer to toss $200K/season at him like some think. It's somewhat a calculated risk that does have some risk.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:As good as Harris is, finding teams to pay $200K+ for any NI is not as easy as it sounds. There is no question Harris would be a great acquistion for any team. A few teams need a serious upgrade at the RB position so he's going to get offers.
It's also a position one has to be careful with. Running backs burn out earlier in their career than any other position. In the NFL you can count running backs who are 30+ on one hand. Even a great like Cornish who turns 31 late next month is starting to struggle with durability. He's missed 6 games this year and 9 last year after playing full campaigns the previous 3 years. Harris will be 29 by next training camp. He's getting to that age where the wear and tear can start to catch up. I don't think it's the no-brainer to toss $200K/season at him like some think. It's somewhat a calculated risk that does have some risk.
And this just plays into the disrespect for veterans.

Of course there is a chance that Harris wears down. And there is an even better chance that he is good until he is 32 or so. Running with a vengeance at B.C.

Honour the veterans who have served. Especially while they are still healthy. Do not bet on their becoming less effective. Do not bet on their becoming banged up.

No wonder we cannot sign top FAs. No wonder vets leave on hostile terms.

6 year veteran. Throw him out like the trash. Grind him in negotiations. Force him to take less than he merits. Make him wait, wait and wait, while Wally diddles and fiddles like Emperor Nero. It is a head shaker. Harris is also one of the few "marquee" players on the Lions. Fans wear his number. Anybody wearing a Buono jersey?

At this stage, at this time, I would suggest that Harris is more valuable to the Lions than Wally. Heresy. Heresy. But I think it is true.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rocko604
Rookie

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Wally releases Harris in November and then invites anyone who questions the move to come watch game film.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rocko604 wrote:Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Wally releases Harris in November and then invites anyone who questions the move to come watch game film.

If the Lions were to release Harris in November, as you suggest, then I predict that the following season that there will be so few fans in the building that at the start of games it would become more expedient to introduce the fans instead of the players. :wink:
Rocko604
Rookie

DanoT wrote:
Rocko604 wrote:Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Wally releases Harris in November and then invites anyone who questions the move to come watch game film.

If the Lions were to release Harris in November, as you suggest, then I predict that the following season that there will be so few fans in the building that at the start of games it would become more expedient to introduce the fans instead of the players. :wink:
Well, I'm being highly cynical and pessimistic. He'll be 28, not quite yet a senior citizen for a RB (30) but he's getting there. And what worries me is Wally finding some some stud 22 year old running back who falls through the cracks of NFL scouting, giving him a reason to release Harris, then the kid becomes the next Joe Smith, has a great year, gets released mid-way through the following year and all the while Harris is putting up over 1200 combined yards with the Blue Bombers.

...Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this, lol.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

“At the end of the season, we’ll make up our minds,” said Buono. “I’m not making those kind of decisions after 12 games. I don’t have enough information right now. Let’s wait for the end of this season and, hopefully, a couple of playoff games.” -- Wally Buono
Complete head shaker. After 6 seasons, you do not know enough to evaluate the player? Can't make up your mind? Can't decide to sign up a player who has played oftentimes like the MVP in the league? The face of the franchise. Don't have enough information? Like what? Maybe Andrew gets injured? Maybe he speaks out? Want to keep him uncertain to get a benefit for yourself in negotiations? Just your style to play hardball?

What this fan sees as the mindset: "I have the power of the contract. I will wield it like a sword. This (negotiations) is a contest. And I have the upper hand." True. But what does it do to team morale, to team prestige, to long term results?

Want to hang the result of this year on Andrew? No playoffs = no contract reward? 12 games not enough to evaluate? :dizzy:

King Lear vacillates.

Nero fiddles while Rome is burning.
“I think there’s a body of work there and I should be compensated in a certain way,” said Harris. “If they don’t want to do it, I think someone will.” -- Andrew Harris
Yes, there is a body of work. Yes, you will be compensated by somebody at your fair market value. Could be with somebody else. I am sure you will get more respect from some other GM.

And, as I have noted a number of times, import running backs are a dime a dozen. We have gone that route. Wally has gone that route. Out. Next. He has done it repeatedly. Yes, everybody can be replaced. How it is done sometimes is what rankles with veterans disrespected and discarded to the wayside.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Harris will not resign, but he might re-sign
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:

:wink: :wink:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:One caveat is Harris' pass blocking which he has struggled with. This is a passing league with some CFL coaches believing pass blocking is more important than a RB's rushing or receiving ability. Then there's the problem of having a competent national backup RB who can pick up the slack if Andrew gets injured. Could the Lions find an import RB with comparable rushing and receiving skills who's an enthusiastic blocker...who would be paid much less and who could be adequately replaced by a backup import RB if required? :ref:
I've always considered Harris to be an excellent blocker. He seems to read the pressure well and step up to take blitzing linebackers or DBs. I think he's a better blocker than any international RB the Lions have had in recent years, including Brown and Logan.

One of Harris's complaints about the offence is that the protection schemes too often keep him trapped in the backfield instead of releasing into the flat, where he is most dangerous as a receiver. Chapdelaine's offence used him more as a checkdown receiver for Lulay. The Lions also took a lot more sacks in that offence, though.

Thank you for posting this, some fans read a newspaper article 5 years ago and create an image in their mind for a lifetime. Harris is a complete football player, he blows up at times but that's because he desperately wants to win...you win championships with players like this.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
“At the end of the season, we’ll make up our minds,” said Buono. “I’m not making those kind of decisions after 12 games. I don’t have enough information right now. Let’s wait for the end of this season and, hopefully, a couple of playoff games.” -- Wally Buono
Complete head shaker. After 6 seasons, you do not know enough to evaluate the player? Can't make up your mind? Can't decide to sign up a player who has played oftentimes like the MVP in the league? The face of the franchise. Don't have enough information? Like what? Maybe Andrew gets injured? Maybe he speaks out? Want to keep him uncertain to get a benefit for yourself in negotiations? Just your style to play hardball?

What this fan sees as the mindset: "I have the power of the contract. I will wield it like a sword. This (negotiations) is a contest. And I have the upper hand." True. But what does it do to team morale, to team prestige, to long term results?

Want to hang the result of this year on Andrew? No playoffs = no contract reward? 12 games not enough to evaluate? :dizzy:

King Lear vacillates.

Nero fiddles while Rome is burning.
“I think there’s a body of work there and I should be compensated in a certain way,” said Harris. “If they don’t want to do it, I think someone will.” -- Andrew Harris
Yes, there is a body of work. Yes, you will be compensated by somebody at your fair market value. Could be with somebody else. I am sure you will get more respect from some other GM.

And, as I have noted a number of times, import running backs are a dime a dozen. We have gone that route. Wally has gone that route. Out. Next. He has done it repeatedly. Yes, everybody can be replaced. How it is done sometimes is what rankles with veterans disrespected and discarded to the wayside.

Both you and Blitz have nailed it...Emperor Nero fiddles while Rome is burning..."no, its good, everything's still fine, right Igor...I mean Chuck..."

Albert Einstein
MexicoLionFan
Legend

The media and some players were mentioning the name Mike Pringle for Andrew Harris this very season until Defences realized that they could completely sell out to shut down Andrew Harris on first AND second downs! Harris is still close to 800 yards rushing after basically NOTHING for a month and a half, and our coaches haven't figured out a single way to get him the ball in open space!

After hearing Wally's comments I strongly encourage Andrew to find another football home!

I like the comment about introducing the fans next season, instead of the players...it might well come to that. A CANADIAN RB who excels in both the running and passing games being left until the offseason to renew his contract has nothing about Wally's "likes" or "dislikes", it has everything to do with Wally's ego! The public has noticed that Harris has not been re-signed yet and Wally is "fighting back" instead of coaching up the defence!

Albert Einstein
peeby
Starter

I'm tellin' ya, once a Winnipegger, always a Winnipegger. He'll be in the Blue and Gold next year. Him and Travis.
CardiacKid
Legend

I hate to say it but if anyone in management doesn't feel the need to bring back Harris (which I think should be a priority...especially if there is a change in OC) I think it will be Cortez and Tedford. I am not convinced they rate him.....

If they (Cortez and Tedford) are to see the year out and carry on to next season, I will not be surprised to see Harris with another team. I don't see such a scenario steming from any wish or desire on Harris' part but simply because those two will be beaking into Wally's ear.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

KnowItAll wrote:Harris will not resign, but he might re-sign
You really do know it all. Thanks for the correction. We are all now more enlightened.