Lulay activated off of 6 game injured list...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

http://cfl.ca/article/lions-activate-tr ... jured-list

Tedford is not naming the starter. I suspect Jennings will start and will only be pulled if the game starts to slide away....
peeby
Starter

Just heard this on the radio. Wally said something to the effect that not only would Lulay and Jon Jennings play in the 2nd half of the season, but another QB as well. While RJ Archer may just be an arena QB brought in in an emergency situation, I think it'll be him. You see, the college he went to is William and Hail Mary! Get it? Yeah, that's right, Skulsky et al. The Lions are a laughing stock in this household.
Don Miller
Legend

I think Lulay's days are numbered. Good guy but injury prone much like Buck was. Jennings or whoever is the future. Lulay had one good game in Regina when he surprised them with the run. I don't see Lulay getting this team anywhere. :sigh: Scary to think that if they somehow win the next two games they could make the playoffs, only in the CFL..
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
dupsdell1
Champion

I heard Wally wants to keep Lulay starting the rest of the season , Jennings back up .
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

dupsdell1 wrote:I heard Wally wants to keep Lulay starting the rest of the season , Jennings back up .
I heard Wally is the GM not the HC anymore. So he doesn't decide these things anymore.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:I heard Wally wants to keep Lulay starting the rest of the season , Jennings back up .
I heard Wally is the GM not the HC anymore. So he doesn't decide these things anymore.
that's what he wants you to think
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wally is the GM in name only. Everyone knows he's the de facto coach of the Lions.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If one compares our offence under Lulay this year and under Jennings, I would rather develop the young guy, who shows very good potential.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
InUrFace
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Wally is the GM in name only. Everyone knows he's the de facto coach of the Lions.
Still Wallys team what Wally says goes. So frustrating.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ed Willes has written about the quarterback situation. This is Jennings' team for now. Tedford is non-committal on whether Lulay will eventually get his job back.
Travis Lulay has been cleared to practise with the B.C. Lions, but he’s not ready to play, which means rookie quarterback Jonathon Jennings gets the start against the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Saturday.

For the Lions and head coach Jeff Tedford, that’s the easy part. Sadly, it doesn’t make for much of a column. As for the hard part, it might still be a couple of weeks away, but it offers something a tad more compelling.

“We’ll have to take it day to day and week to week,” Tedford said Tuesday when asked about his starting quarterback for the duration of this season. “It’s hard to say right now.”
As for the fans’ response, that’s another layer to this drama. Jennings will make his first home start Saturday and the lower bowl at B.C. Place will be at or near capacity. On top of everything else that’s gone wrong this season, the Lions are suffering their worst attendance numbers since 2002. Jennings, at the very least, offers the hope that things will get better.
Ed Willes column
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:If one compares our offence under Lulay this year and under Jennings, I would rather develop the young guy, who shows very good potential.
:whs:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Blitz
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:If one compares our offence under Lulay this year and under Jennings, I would rather develop the young guy, who shows very good potential.
:whs:

Andrew Harris also favors Jennings for the zone read play. He is very favorable of Jennings.

The article is posted below

Tsumura: Lions’ running attack close to getting on track

Zone-read success in opening drive at Edmonton shows what could be — if Andrew Harris can stay healthy

By Howard Tsumura, The Province September 29, 2015

Running back Andrew Harris, left, plans to 'grind it out' against the Saskatchewan Roughriders after injuring cartilage in his ribs against Edmonton.

Look at the box score from Saturday’s 29-23 loss in Edmonton to an Eskimos team boasting the stingiest defence in the CFL and it’s easy to scoff at any notion that the B.C. Lions have rediscovered a semblance of their run game.

Yes, 17 carries for 37 yards are numbers that shout an absolute lack of offensive balance.

Yet as the 4-8 Lions returned to the practice field Tuesday in advance of their first home game in three weeks, Saturday (4 p.m.) against the 2-11 Saskatchewan Roughriders, the man best able to tilt that balance to more of an even keel has declared himself fit enough, and ready to keep moving forward.

“It was a little uncomfortable, but I was able to practise today and it felt OK,” said Lions running back Andrew Harris, three days after being helped off the field late in the first quarter Saturday with what was diagnosed as a rib cartilage injury.

“It’s one of those things where we have six weeks (of regular season) left. You have to tough it out and grin-and-bear the last little bits of bumps and bruises.”

All that said, the offence under rookie quarterback Jonathon Jennings, effective for the first three quarters Saturday, was never more efficient than on B.C.’s first scoring drive of the game.

The reason?

Jennings’ ability to operate the zone-read game in conjunction with Harris’ ability to churn for hard, effective yards.

B.C.’s seven-play, 87-yard drive was capped by Jennings’ 25-yard TD pass to Lavelle Hawkins.

Harris was forced from the game on the very next series. Yet it was a promising indication that the Leos have discovered a backfield mix at the skill positions worth further examination.

On first down, it was Harris to the right for eight yards. On second, Harris to the left for another 14.

Suddenly, balance was restored. With the run-pass threat finally working his team’s favour, Jennings showed the poise Lions head coach Jeff Tedford had talked about, first throwing 21 yards to a wide-open Manny Arceneaux and then 25 yards into the end zone into single coverage to Hawkins.

“You like to stay balanced so your run game can do those types of things, so you don’t have to be one-dimensional,” said Tedford.

From the Lions’ perspective, it was a shame the experiment couldn’t continue the rest of the game.

“It felt good,” said Harris, who a couple of weeks previous was so frustrated with the team’s lack of a rushing attack that he bolted past reporters after a 31-18 loss to the Ottawa Redblacks at B.C. Place Stadium.

“I felt that we were getting into a groove and rhythm, so it was unfortunate that I got hurt. But it was definitely inspiring to have those two big runs, to get some gaps and get rejuvenated again. Now we want to do the same. Stay healthy and get that running game consistent for 60 minutes.”

Regular starting quarterback Travis Lulay was throwing in practice Tuesday, but Tedford said Jennings would start against Saskatchewan.

Harris said the early success on the ground Saturday is a template to build on.

“With Jon being so athletic, it’s definitely going to the zone read,” Harris said of Jennings’ ability to assess his options at the line of scrimmage and find space.

“It’s definitely a big threat for us. That’s not to say that Travis or (John) Beck weren’t athletic. Not at all. But Jon can be a threat as a running quarterback and we have to utilize that more.”

The proof will come Saturday.

The Lions are desperately fighting for their playoff lives, and thus Harris’ ability to play through his pain, and the nasty cold he’s trying to shake, are key to snapping the team’s three-game losing streak.

“He practised today and he looked good,” Tedford said of Harris’s work on Tuesday. “You’ve got to tip your hat to him because that is a painful injury, any time it’s the cartilage in your ribs. But he seems to have recovered pretty well.”

Added Harris: “Breathing was tough, and every time I cough, it’s painful. But you’ve just got to grind it out.”
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

The Lions then turned to Jennings and, if he hasn’t been a complete revelation in his six quarters of work, he’s opened some eyes. Against the Stampeders he threw for 252 yards in just over two quarters. Last Saturday in Edmonton, he went 18 of 30 for 281 yards and two touchdowns in his first-ever CFL start against the league’s best defence
Jennings and McGhee should be our first and second string quarterbacks. Travis Lulay should be transitioned. Lulay brings veteran experience and leadership qualities. Next year Lulay could serve in a backup role while also serving as a quarterback's coach. That is the way Hugnagel did it in Calgary with Dickenson.

Lulay is the type of guy who has always done a lot of tape study and has always been a hard worker. Lulay could replace Khari Jones next season on our coaching staff, working with quarterbacks and receivers. Eventually Lulay could be developed into an offensive coordinator.

The future of our Leos at quarterback is not Travis Lulay. Its also was not John Beck. The time for change is now. Fans need hope and the players need hope. The players have responded to Jennings. Harris likes wha t Jennings brings to the zone read. Arsenault likes what Jennings brings to the passing attack. We need a quarterback who can throw and who can run. We need to go with a quarterback without a history of injuries and therefore we can have consistency at the position.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Blitz
Team Captain

“He (Jennings) throws a better ball than any quarterback I’ve caught a ball from, with the exception of Aaron (Rodgers),” Green Bay Packers receiver Janis gushed, in a telephone interview. “He’s a special player, talented. He can throw a hard, tight spiral into any window. He reminds me of Russell Wilson a little bit.”

Though he’s been playing mainly on special teams, Janis is considered one of the Packers’ more athletic receivers, one about to become more prominent as he’s knitted into a more diversified and dynamic offence.

Jennings and James Franklin, the Eskimos’ current backup QB, were in the Detroit Lions’ rookie camp together in May, 2014. Franklin, who has thrown six touchdowns, with only one interception, in relief appearances for the injured Reilly, was a dual-threat quarterback and considered one of the nation’s rising stars at Missouri, a Division I power.

“I think he has better mechanics than I do — and he probably has a stronger arm,” Franklin says of Jennings. “He throws the ball more consistently, on the line, than I do. He’s a really good quarterback. I think some coaches consider a player’s background. The really good coaches don’t.”

vancouversun.com
“I know he was extremely poised when I watched the Calgary game,” Edmonton Head Coach Chris Jones said. “He wasn’t frazzled at all. Certainly, he’s a great athlete. He’s got a tremendous arm.

vancouversun.com
Blitz
Team Captain

2015 Quarterback Ratings

COLLAROS, Zach 9.4
BURRIS, Henry OTT 8.3
MITCHELL, Bo Levi CGY 8.3
HARRIS, Trevor TOR 8.2
LULAY, Travis BC 7.2
GLENN, Kevin SSK 9.1
WILLY, Drew WPG 9.2