Beck gone home?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Nothing on BC Lions site or TSN, but someone on the Facebook page The Lions Den https://www.facebook.com/groups/BCLions.Den/?fref=nf claims

"QB John Beck has left the ‪#‎BCLions‬. He will rehab at home, where his wife is expecting their 4th child in November. Likely not coming back."

Has anyone else heard anything about this?
peeby
Starter

I think a fair number of players do rehab at home when it's something that will keep them out for a long time (like the rest of the year). Beck was a good guy. Hope he does well with what ever he takes on going forward. That will probably be the last we see of him, I would guess.
dupsdell1
Champion

He is Gone Jennings has to be our future behind Lulay.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Players on the six-game injured list are not required to stay in town so there's nothing surprising about him going home to be with his pregnant wife. No one expects him back next year, so we have probably seen the last of him.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

John Beck. Good guy. Not a good CFL quarterback.

Who put him at the top at last year's tryout camp? A head shaker ... Can't blame Tedford for that. And once he was invited back, with Lulay's health so uncertain, one can kind of understand Tedford keeping him around this year.

Minimal results in pro football, off and on since 2007.

Anyway the mistake has been corrected by football itself.

Fare thee well, John Beck.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can't fault him for wanting to be with his pregnant wife.
Blitz
Team Captain

peeby wrote:I think a fair number of players do rehab at home when it's something that will keep them out for a long time (like the rest of the year). Beck was a good guy. Hope he does well with what ever he takes on going forward. That will probably be the last we see of him, I would guess.
Dante Marsh was punished for wanting to rehab at home in the bye week last year ..and no one was a work out nut than Dante...and he was a long time vet who gave us his all.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Blitz wrote:
peeby wrote:I think a fair number of players do rehab at home when it's something that will keep them out for a long time (like the rest of the year). Beck was a good guy. Hope he does well with what ever he takes on going forward. That will probably be the last we see of him, I would guess.
Dante Marsh was punished for wanting to rehab at home in the bye week last year ..and no one was a work out nut than Dante...and he was a long time vet who gave us his all.

I am certain that there is a causal/effect relationship to how Wally has treated his key veterans, essentially Hall of Fame BC Lion players who gave their hearts and souls to this team...Jason Clermont, Geroy Simon, Korey Banks, Dante Marsh...the rest of the league watches and observes how even these type of "lifers" in BC are unceremoniously treated by Buono, and at the first sign of a drop off in play, they either have to renegotiate their contracts downwards or be shown the door. Has Wally ever gone out of his way to renegotiate someone's contract in a more positive direction when they have acceded their expectations???

Winning is a CULTURE based upon belief. This is why ALL model franchises in every sport stay connected to their HOF players and consistently honour them and keep them around, so that the culture of winning NEVER leaves town. If there is ONE THING that I can assure all BC Lion fans of, its that the culture of winning has long since left the building with the Lions! And besides the owner, who is the most directly responsible for this???
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Beamish has more on Beck's return home and the emergence of Jennings.
John Beck exited the B.C. Lions locker-room Sunday, perhaps for the final time. The good news is he didn’t walk into the door.

The former NFL quarterback has been a walking catalogue of misfortune this season, but his unlucky streak is about to end. Placed on the six-game injured list, Beck is on his way home to San Diego to attend to his pregnant wife, Barbara, who is ailing (gall stones) and trying to manage a household and three rambunctious boys, one of whom has a broken leg.
“I think Jon’s development, as a young player, was helped by the fact he was able to get a lot of reps in training camp,” Beck said. “He enjoys the position. He enjoys competing. He can make plays with his legs. He can make plays from the pocket. I think he has a lot of potential. It all boils down to how the situation plays out for him.”
Lions will ride Jon Jennings’ right arm
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Mike Beamish has more on Beck's return home and the emergence of Jennings.
John Beck exited the B.C. Lions locker-room Sunday, perhaps for the final time. The good news is he didn’t walk into the door.

The former NFL quarterback has been a walking catalogue of misfortune this season, but his unlucky streak is about to end. Placed on the six-game injured list, Beck is on his way home to San Diego to attend to his pregnant wife, Barbara, who is ailing (gall stones) and trying to manage a household and three rambunctious boys, one of whom has a broken leg.
“I think Jon’s development, as a young player, was helped by the fact he was able to get a lot of reps in training camp,” Beck said. “He enjoys the position. He enjoys competing. He can make plays with his legs. He can make plays from the pocket. I think he has a lot of potential. It all boils down to how the situation plays out for him.”
Lions will ride Jon Jennings’ right arm

Thank you.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
peeby
Starter

Dante was run out of town in a manner that could only be described as "Wally-esque". Certainly didn't get the Barron Miles treatment or the Mark Washington treatment. More of a Korey Banks type exit. But you know, some of that may be on the player. We're not always privy to what goes on behind the lockeroom doors, and I'm not sure we have the type of media that would dare say much on such issues. When it comes to hard-hitting, they're kinda like our secondary. Totally hands-off. Ba-da-boom!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:
I totally appreciate Marsh wanting to go home during a bye week. Most players do that. However to know if he was being "punished" I suppose one would need to know the very specifics of the injury and what the prescribed treatment(s) were to get him back onto the field in the most expedient manner. Did he just need to be working out in the gym or was some sort of daily physiotherapy required?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

peeby wrote:Dante was run out of town in a manner that could only be described as "Wally-esque". Certainly didn't get the Barron Miles treatment or the Mark Washington treatment. More of a Korey Banks type exit. But you know, some of that may be on the player. We're not always privy to what goes on behind the lockeroom doors, and I'm not sure we have the type of media that would dare say much on such issues. When it comes to hard-hitting, they're kinda like our secondary. Totally hands-off. Ba-da-boom!
For whatever it's worth (and I've always liked Dante Marsh as a player), Mike B was referencing his departure in an interview when he said something akin to 'nice to see the front office is taking out some of the trash.' I don't know that those two ever really saw eye to eye.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Can't fault him for wanting to be with his pregnant wife.
No you certainly can't. He almost packed it in with the hepatitis thing, so now that his season is done and it seems unlikely that he is asked back next year, I think he will officially hang them up as soon as he is certain that his time here is at an end.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Orange4Life
prospect

I was excited when Wally signed Beck. I thought it would be nice to see an NFL QB with more than 2 preseason starts on his resume. When Lulay went down (we all knew that was going to happen) I was thrilled to see that Beck could finally make this team his own. The offence with Beck was far to conservative.
And in the end Beck's injury has provided Jennings with his shot. I am so thrilled with his play so far. He's not afraid to go down field and will run at any second.

I'm so done with Lulay. He's a great teammate and an even better guy. But it's unlikely that he can stay healthy for another season. I'd love to see Beck come back to play behind Jennings.

I'm very confident with Wally running this team. I know he'll do the right thing with regards to QBs.