Jonathan Jennings Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/morris-eskimo ... r-jennings
Morris: Eskimos present ultimate test for Jennings

Posted: September 24, 2015 03:30 PM

Jim Morris

BC Lions quarterback Jonathon Jennings knows there are many questions swirling around his first CFL start.

Trying to find an answer for Patrick Watkins and the Edmonton Eskimo defence is one of the challenges facing the 23-year-old rookie.

Jennings, BC’s third-string quarterback, will be at the helm Saturday afternoon when the Lions (4-7) take on the Eskimos (8-4) at Commonwealth Stadium. Jennings has been forced into action following injuries to former CFL MVP Travis Lulay and NFL journeyman John Beck.

An upset of the Eskimos would help restore some confidence to a Lions team staggered after losing four of its last five games. A loss would add another bruise to an already battered morale.

“It’s a really big game,” Jennings said after practice this week. “Everyone wants to win. We need to win.

“We are coming out here and trying to keep the playoff hope alive. We just need to come out, get a W and play the game.”

If Jennings is looking for an education, Watkins and the Eskimo defence is happy to school him.

“You’ve got to lick your lips,” said Watkins, the veteran cornerback who is tied for the Eskimo lead in tackles with 50. “I don’t want to take anything away from the young man because I’m pretty sure he’s talented enough to get the job done.

The Eskimos fell in this week's Power Rankings, but according to CFL Simulation they're now the odds-on favourite to win the 103rd Grey Cup Championship.

Race Tightening in the West
Buy: Eskimos vs. Lions Week 14 Tickets

“Not to brag, but our defence is pretty good. It’s more someone adjusting to our defence than our defence adjusting to someone else. We have a job to do. As long as we are in the right place we are going to make our plays.”

Jennings gave a preview of his capabilities in the Lions’ 35-23 loss to Calgary last weekend, taking over when Beck suffered a pectoral tendon strain after taking a hit from Fred Bishop late in the second quarter.

Jennings completed 15 of 27 passes for 252 yards. He didn’t throw a touchdown and was intercepted three times.

“I thought he did a really nice job of when he escaped and used his legs, he kept his eyes down field,” said Lions head coach Jeff Tedford. “There was a couple of forced balls in the end zone. Maybe he tried to make too much happen.

“I thought for the most part he went in there and played with poise and confidence. That’s what we look for.”

A week of working with the first-team should give Jennings a better feel for the offence. He blamed himself for trying to force some balls into double coverage against Calgary.

“That was just stupid on my part,” Jennings said. “I should take the down, run or just throw it away.

“Some of those things I have really learned and that’s going to be a big help coming into this week.”

The Eskimos present a difficult test.

Edmonton leads the league in least points allowed (19.9 average a game); net offence allowed (288.6 yards a game); rushing yards allowed (72.3 a game) and passing (236.8 a game).

Watkins, fellow corner John Ojo, and defensive halfback Aaron Grymes, have four interceptions each. All have returned a pick for a touchdown.

“We are extremely talented in the secondary,” said Watkins. “We are versatile.

“We have a lot of great tacklers as well as great defenders in the passing game. Our talent is on display and we try and go out there and show our talent week in and week out.”

The Eskimos and Lions are teams heading in different directions. While B.C. has struggled, the Eskimos have collected back-to-back victories over division-leaders Calgary and Hamilton.

“I feel like its attention to detail,” said Watkins. “At the beginning of the year we knew we were good but our attention to detail wasn’t as keen as it is now.

“Everybody wants to win and it’s contagious. You have people who are willing to stay after practice and go over film.”

Jennings, a native of Columbus, Ohio, played four years at Saginaw Valley State where he threw for 10,710 yards and 96 touchdowns on 799 career completions. Undrafted by the NFL, he had workouts with the Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers.

After spending time in the Saskatchewan Roughriders’ camp he was signed by the Lions in March.

At six-foot and 195 pounds Jennings has size and speed. He has shown his arm strength and can run with the ball, but is still learning to be patient.

“Escaping defenders is something I have always been decent at,” he said. “I think sometimes I might leave the pocket a little too early.

“There is some type of feeling in me that just make me take off. I just need to trust in my reads and trust in my pocket sometimes a little more than I do.”

One advantage Jennings brings into the game against Edmonton is an element of the unknown. The Eskimos will have limited film to watch him at work.

“At this point in time we don’t know his strengths and weaknesses yet,” said Watkins. “It is going to be a new challenge for us as a defence, but I’m pretty sure we are going to find some things to key on.

“We are going to do the best job we can to disguise our schemes and give him a harder look. We don’t want him to be able to identify our defence at first glance. We are going to disguise it the best way we can and try to confuse him and have him throw into areas that are covered.”

The Eskimos may feel confident heading into the game but can’t afford to look past the Lions. In their first meeting of the season at BC Place Stadium, Edmonton built a 23-10 half-time lead only to lose 26-23.

“We know they are capable,” said Watkins. “We’re not talking these guys lightly at all.”

Jennings understands for the Lions to win he most eliminate his mistakes. He also knows sometimes he’s going to have to take a chance.

“You try to make your reads the best you can but sometimes things collapse and you have go out and make a play,” he said.

“Sometimes when you do something that is not the right read, and you make a play, you’re not wrong. You just have to make sure you make that play.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He holds a lot of promise as a QB.

Very exciting. Mobile. Strong arm. Courageous. Goes for it.

His first start.

Tough test with the Eskimos, who play an aggressive, attacking style of football. (Wouldn't that be nice if that was our philosophy of defence?)
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
dupsdell1
Champion

We will see how he does , maybe the last games was a one and done thing.
peeby
Starter

From what I've seen, Jennings isn't a one and done thing as a QB. But, given the Esks are pretty good and the Lions O-line is pretty poor, I'm not sure we should be looking for too much here. Limit the interceptions, run from sacks, get some first downs, spread the ball around in a manner the other Lion QB's don't seem to do? That wouldn't be bad. I wouldn't even mind seeing McGhee play a bit. Truly, the Lions have to be thinking about who's going to be the QB next year when Travis Lulay takes his Buck Pierce act to Winnipeg. (Too mean?)
prj
Starter

Too mean.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

He has the tools, and has a much bigger upside than Lulay or Beck. If the O line does its job, he will have a good day.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mike Beamish offers high praise for Jennings from a couple of former teammates, including Green Bay WR Jeff Janis, who starred with Jennings at Saginaw Valley State:
“He (Jennings) throws a better ball than any quarterback I’ve caught a ball from, with the exception of Aaron (Rodgers),” Janis gushed, in a telephone interview. “He’s a special player, talented. He can throw a hard, tight spiral into any window. He reminds me of Russell Wilson a little bit.”
Edmonton backup QB James Franklin attended Detroit Lions rookie camp with Jennings last year:
“I think he has better mechanics than I do — and he probably has a stronger arm,” Franklin says of Jennings. “He throws the ball more consistently, on the line, than I do. He’s a really good quarterback. I think some coaches consider a player’s background. The really good coaches don’t.”
B.C. Lions rookie Jennings getting heaps of praise, but can he produce?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Just remember JJ, take what they give you and when they make a mistake, make them pay!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Sackmaster
prospect

and leave Lulay on the bench with his clipboard. The future is with this kid Jennings, Lulay is too inconsistent, misses too many open receivers and has little chance of avoiding pressure. This Jennings is the most exciting offensive player we have had since Printers in his mvp yr or Geroy in his. And I hope that Tedford is his own man and disregards Buono,s comments that Lulay is the number1.

Buono has made some questionable moves like letting both Logan and Brown go to leave us with a zero return game until we got Rainey. This team needs to give Jennings the ball to run with till the end of the season. Lulay is no longer the offensive leader of this team its clearly bomb away Jennings
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sackmaster wrote:and leave Lulay on the bench with his clipboard. The future is with this kid Jennings, Lulay is too inconsistent, misses too many open receivers and has little chance of avoiding pressure. This Jennings is the most exciting offensive player we have had since Printers in his mvp yr or Geroy in his. And I hope that Tedford is his own man and disregards Buono,s comments that Lulay is the number1.

Buono has made some questionable moves like letting both Logan and Brown go to leave us with a zero return game until we got Rainey. This team needs to give Jennings the ball to run with till the end of the season. Lulay is no longer the offensive leader of this team its clearly bomb away Jennings

I beg to differ.
Rocko604
Rookie

Jennings could throw 5 TDs and 400 yards each game until Lulay comes back, and Wally will make damn sure Travis starts the second he's healthy.
Sackmaster
prospect

And you are most likely correct about Lulay starting again. Thats my point,who is the coach Tedford or Wally? Lulay no longer qb,s consistant offensive productive games. Jennings has the it factor and btw the bench and team were congratulating him on the sidelines he has there confidence as the man. Watch Lulay declare himself ready next week,lol
Winnipeg is a huge game and if we win it we likely cement ourselves as a west 3rd place finish,no time to go back to overthrown receivers with Travis
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sackmaster wrote:and leave Lulay on the bench with his clipboard. The future is with this kid Jennings, Lulay is too inconsistent, misses too many open receivers and has little chance of avoiding pressure. This Jennings is the most exciting offensive player we have had since Printers in his mvp yr or Geroy in his. And I hope that Tedford is his own man and disregards Buono,s comments that Lulay is the number1.

We really don't know for certain if it was Buono or Tedford who made the decision to release Brown and Logan. Signing guys is usually the GMs doing, cutting guys is usually the HCs decision. Same goes for when Lulay is healthy, it should be Tedford who decides which QB starts.
dupsdell1
Champion

he will be picked up by a NFL team guaranteed next year you will not see him in the cfl again
dupsdell1
Champion

Just saw the Highlights Jennings is NFL bound next year , he is too good to be in the CFL his arm and throw are too good not to keep NFL scouts aware of this guys talent .

MOD EDIT - subject heading has been modified. While you're certainly entitled to an opinion, we need to avoid bold pronouncements like "will be" and "next year" without any proof to back it up. Especially as JJ is under contract for next season.
Last edited by dupsdell1 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.