B.C. Lions at Edmonton Sept. 26, 2015 - Game Day thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Most eyes in Edmonton will be on rookie QB Jonathon Jennings as he gets his first start at QB for the Lions, backed up by fellow rookies Greg McGhee and the newly acquired R.J. Archer. Jennings lacks experience but he showed last week in Calgary that he has skill, athleticism and a strong arm. He will test the Eskimo secondary with his arm and their linebackers and defensive ends with his feet. His teammates love to play for him. He will make things happen and get them the ball. Will he be able to get the offence to the end zone and avoid turnovers? Those are his his biggest challenges. We know the Lions won't be one dimensional and the Esks can't afford to stack the box against Andrew Harris, so the offence should be able to open up under Jennings as long as the Lions can handle the Eskimo pass rush.

Jennings will have the same starters to work with on offence this week. Marco Iannuzzi remains in the starting lineup, with Austin Collie extended on the one-game injured list. Cody Husband again starts at RG ahead of T-Dre Player, with Dean Valli extended on the one-game injured list.

On defence, as discussed elsewhere, Craig Roh returns to the starting lineup, this time at defensive end, pushing Jabar Westerman inside to his more familiar defensive tackle position. Jamarkus McFarland returns to the practice roster after a solid debut at DT in Calgary. Ese Mrabure-Ajufo moves to the one-game injured list. Casey Chin takes his spot on special teams. In the secondary, Cord Parks is activated as a dime back, as Darious Lane goes back to the practice roster.
FEAR_THE_ROAR
prospect

I'd like to see that actual formation. I found that Gore was more in the slot than Iannuzzi last game and I'm tried of seeing that! We have to adjust to our new QB if we want to stay in contention for a playoff spot. Let's put some speed at the slot back position and stretch the field! We have to run lots and lots of zone reads for him and Harris. Let's move the pocket from time to time, it's time to shape up already. It's week 14, let's make a plan and stick with it already!!!
maxlion
Legend

I'm more excited about this game than I have been for a game in a while. Not expecting a win (though it would be nice), but looking forward to watching Jennings play. I still want to see McGhee get in some plays and keep the Eskimos guessing.

Rainey is the most exciting player we've seen in a long time. His long returns weren't just taking advantage of good blocks--he was breaking tackles, leaping over guys, faking guys out. Truly awesome start. As documented, he's had some challenges in his life and done some bad things himself. Whenever they show him on the bench, he's sitting all by himself. If he's okay mentally, he could be a major impact player for us this year and beyond.

Collie out is a loss, but we've been fortunate with injuries all year long, and Ianuzzi is okay.

It will be interesting to watch who wins the line of scrimmage this game with all of the changes.

Reilly was awful last week. If we can keep him in check and not make too many mistakes on offense, we have a chance!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Big test for Jennings as he face a very tough defence. You can bet that Chris Jones will be bringing the blitz and giving Jennings a lot of different looks.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Expect a large helping of pressure from Jones.

The Esks are very confident in their D.

Mobile QB vs pressure D makes for a good matchup. Our rookie will be hard pressed to do well.

No pressure on Reilly? He might pick up his game.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
peeby
Starter

Not sure Cord Parks actually dresses. If you count the imports on the depth chart, two of these three have to sit: Taylor, Parks, Curran (the new LB). So, Taylor for sure, but the other guy? Guess it could be the new LB. They seem to have a lot of depth there. However, I'm almost certain Cord Parks could be on his way out. He didn't do that well in the short side HB position and was put back to the wide CB, where he seems to have been beaten out by Clarke.
David
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:I still want to see McGhee get in some plays and keep the Eskimos guessing.
Agree! I've been thinking that it would be good to bring McGhee in to spell off Jennings like the Esks do with Jordan Lynch. The Lions should have some specific running packages and wildcat formations for McGhee as he's deadly with his feet. He reminds a lot of people of Michael Vick.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
maxlion wrote:I still want to see McGhee get in some plays and keep the Eskimos guessing.
Agree! I've been thinking that it would be good to bring McGhee in to spell off Jennings like the Esks do with Jordan Lynch. The Lions should have some specific running packages and wildcat formations for McGhee as he's deadly with his feet. He reminds a lot of people of Michael Vick.

DH :cool:

Given the amount of innovation, progressive thinking and team preparedness that I have observed from this Lions team this season, it seems highly unlikely that the Lions will have a package of plays for McGhee as it is probably pushing their limits just to get Jennings ready to play. Sorry but nothing about this coaching staff or play calling gives me confidence in anything they do or more correctly don't do. :bang: :bang:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Given the amount of innovation, progressive thinking and team preparedness that I have observed from this Lions team this season, it seems highly unlikely that the Lions will have a package of plays for McGhee as it is probably pushing their limits just to get Jennings ready to play. Sorry but nothing about this coaching staff or play calling gives me confidence in anything they do or more correctly don't do. :bang: :bang:
My confidence rose when Jennings came in last week and opened up the offence. I think his teammates' confidence rose too. I'm hoping he continues to push the ball downfield, use his feet and keep defences off balance.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

The last time the Lions faced the Eskies, Lulay had a dozen wide open receivers downfield and couldn't connect. If Chris Jones tries the same approach, I think that JJ can make him pay, so I don't think this week is as "easy" for the Esks as they may think.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:The last time the Lions faced the Eskies, Lulay had a dozen wide open receivers downfield and couldn't connect. If Chris Jones tries the same approach, I think that JJ can make him pay, so I don't think this week is as "easy" for the Esks as they may think.
Yes, the Lions had a great game plan against the Esks last time. With Lulay passing, they executed only two of those deep passes but that was enough to win.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I can't remember, was Reilly already on the sidelines for that game? I think he might have which meant they were facing Nichols. Decent but not the same as Reilly.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:I can't remember, was Reilly already on the sidelines for that game? I think he might have which meant they were facing Nichols. Decent but not the same as Reilly.
Yes, Nichols had a decent game. He was 26 of 42 for 262 yards, 2 TDs and 2 INTs but the Lions outscored the Esks 16-0 in the second half. That was the first time this year that the B.C. defence really stepped up.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It looks like a great day for football in Edmonton.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Big gain on the 1st play of the game