A Glimpse of Sanity - Roh Starts at Defensive End

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

The craziness that have been our Lions defensive decision making this season is slowly fading. Whether its some good football counseling or glimpses of sanity, we are starting to make some decisions regarding our defensive line that make sense.

Why its taken so long is a different theme.

Roh starts at defensive end this week - our Leos sack leader, even though he has sat out the last 3 games. Roh played all his games this season at defensive tackle - a position he had never played before and was undersized for. Westerman will play defensive tackle for the first time this season.

Minter started a couple of games ago and played very well. He had sat on the practice roster dispite his size and credentials. With Brooks hurt last week, instead of starting Roh at defensive tackle, we started McFarland, who also had an excellent game.

Westerman, being played at defensive end this season, dispite never playing the position, says he is more comfortable at defensive tackle. Oh really. Anyone surprised?

The brain trust, whomever makes our Lions defensive personell decisions - Wally or Washington, are beginning to get rid of their brain cramps.

Well, at least, we are starting Roh at defensive end. And amazing too - we are starting Westerman at defensive tackle. Wow, they only needed to read Lionbackers about 10 games ago to get this right.

With this recent trend of moving towards sanity, who knows? Perhaps slowly, ever so slowly, we can continue on the road towards wisdom, and eventually become a good defence.

Returning Roh calls on Lions' defence to power u

Sack leader aims to make his return against Edmonton memorable

By Mike Beamish, Vancouver Sun September 24, 2015

While the University of Michigan uses the wolverine as its logo, and the state is officially nicknamed the Wolverine State, there is no evidence that wolverines actually have lived in Michigan’s woodlands and forests.

They’re almost as rare in the Canadian Football League.

Sightings of defensive end Craig Roh, believed to be the only former Michigan Wolverine currently playing in the CFL, have been non-existent over the past three games, as if the Lions’ sack leader had gone into early hibernation.

Not that being the team’s sack leader is anything to brag about these days.

Playing out of position as a three-technique defensive tackle, Roh has four sacks, despite not having played since Aug. 20. Two other Lions, Alex Bazzie and Khreem Smith, both defensive ends, are stuck at three sacks apiece, having suited up for all 11 games.

Since the start of the 2015 season, the 4-7 Lions have been on the defensive, defending their pass rush, their secondary, their failure to stop the run or force turnovers, their play-calling, their chemistry and their alignments.

B.C. ranks at the bottom of the CFL in many defensive categories, including sacks. With just 17 in 11 games, the Lions have been the poor boys of the Purolator Tackle Hunger program, in which donations to food banks in a CFL city rely on a team’s ability to take down quarterbacks.

Playing “Death” Roh, as he was known at Michigan, on the inside of the defensive line, was a head-scratcher to many Lions fans, just as it was to park Jabar Westerman, a defensive tackle by trade, on the outside as a D-end.

Well, puzzle no longer.

After a three-game hiatus, Roh will start Saturday afternoon in Edmonton against the Eskimos at his natural position, defensive end, while Westerman moves inside to play D-tackle, where he feels most comfortable.

There’s no guarantee a re-arrangement of the front four will suddenly turn them into a fearsome unit, with a catchy nickname such as Orange Crush. Still, it’s a relief for Westerman and Roh to return to positions where they feel they can be more productive.

“I’m definitely more comfortable there (defensive tackle),” Westerman admitted Thursday. “It’s where I’m used to playing. I’ve been there for nine years (through high school and college at Eastern Michigan). I really haven’t gotten D-end down yet. There’s a lot of things I’m still having trouble with. Playing on the inside is like being in a phone booth. All you have to worry about is your little space.”

As a long and lean, strong-side defensive end at Michigan, Roh played in 51 consecutive games for the Wolverines, a school record. He had 148 defensive tackles, 26.5 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks during his college career, one in which he consumed up to 5,000 calories daily to keep up his weight. One of his secrets for quick gain: Waking up in the middle of the night and downing 10 raw eggs.

“What’s so great about the training that I have now is that I’m able to put on 10 pounds, or take back 10 pounds, depending on whether I’m playing defensive tackle or defensive end,” says the 6-4, 265-pound Roh. “This week, I’m a little bit lighter, just because I’m going to be playing more defensive end. I need to move better.”

Playing on the outside, he gets to tap into his strong impulses to attack the quarterback, a track made easier after uncoupling his 10-pound caboose.

“I think I can go out there and give them power, from the outside,” Roh says. “I’ve been playing defensive tackle. Compared to that, this is a lot easier.”

Unless the status of Mic’hael Brooks changes — the former Seattle Seahawk missed Friday’s game in Calgary with a AC joint separation (shoulder) — Roh could find himself starting next to defensive tackle Zach Minter, his off-season training partner in the Phoenix area under Donald (Deke) Pollard, a former NFL assistant coach. Roh is from Paradise Valley, Ariz.; Minter from Glendale.

“I think Craig’s going to have a great game,” Minter predicts. “I think a lot of us are excited to see what he’ll do, playing on the outside.”

Adds coach Jeff Tedford: “He plays hard. He’s got a great motor. Whether he’s inside or outside, you can always depend on getting an effort from Roh.”

Operating in his natural habitat, the hope is that the Wolverine can deliver a whole new rush to a team hungering for one.

END ZONE: Tedford said a decision will be made after today’s walk-through in Surrey whether receiver Austin Collie (knee) will accompany the team to Edmonton. Collie, who leads the Lions with six touchdown receptions, missed last week’s game in Calgary.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/retu ... z3mkU9OaTw
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

By solving one problem, the Lions have created another. They now have a surplus of interior defensive linemen. Brooks was having an outstanding rookie season before he was hurt. Minter and McFarland also showed well and solidified the interior of the defensive line. By moving Westerman inside, the Lions have room for only one of their three international defensive tackles. I'd love to see another big body in the DL rotation but it would likely have to be at the expense of one of their international defensive ends, Khreem Smith or Alex Bazzie.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:By solving one problem, the Lions have created another. They now have a surplus of interior defensive linemen. Brooks was having an outstanding rookie season before he was hurt. Minter and McFarland also showed well and solidified the interior of the defensive line. By moving Westerman inside, the Lions have room for only one of their three international defensive tackles. I'd love to see another big body in the DL rotation but it would likely have to be at the expense of one of their international defensive ends, Khreem Smith or Alex Bazzie.
My guess would be that we'll move Westerman back to defensive end when Brooks returns from injury.

If it was me, I would go with two International tackles and Westerman inside. Then I would go with Roh, Bazzie, and Menard on the outside. The age of Khareem Smith is a factor in my thought process.

With Minter, Westerman, and Brroks rotating inside and Roh, Bazzie, and Menard rotating outside it would give us an improved defensive line. Lokombo rotating in at linebacker gives us additional numerous options in terms of the ratio.

Eventually I would love to see us pick up a very good NFL defensive cut at defensive end to replace Bazzie.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Kinda scary to think that some posters on Lionbackers have more football acumen than the Lions professional (???) coaching staff. :shock:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Playing around with alignments and positions. Trying off the wall ideas. Play the small guy inside. Draft a small guy for some inside work. Put the big guy outside. Even in keeping the underperforming, undersized Bazzie.

Many strange decisions. By whom? Washington? Or more likely under the heavy influence of Wally Buono.

Hubris? (Excessive pride or confidence?) I know more than you know. Watch. Here is some football thinking few will agree with. And we will make it work. And we can show you on tape.

As noted recently, Wally might try some outlandish ideas, but eventually seems to get the pieces in the right locations.

But in so many instances his judgment seems questionable.

Roh is a very good size for D End. Khreem Smith is ancient. Bazzie is small, and seemingly ineffective this year.

Question? Will we see a little bit more of an attempt to mix in some blitzing, stunts, overloads and fakes at the line of scrimmage?

We know Chris Jones will oftentimes be bringing the house against us. Yes, it can be done. And it is very effective when done right.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
maxlion
Legend

DanoT wrote:Kinda scary to think that some posters on Lionbackers have more football acumen than the Lions professional (???) coaching staff. :shock:
This has been true of every fanbase for every professional sport in history :cool:
David
Team Captain

It's especially true of this one. We have a small but extremely knowledgeable base of Lions fans in which the consensus seems to get it right far more than wrong.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:Playing around with alignments and positions. Trying off the wall ideas. Play the small guy inside. Draft a small guy for some inside work. Put the big guy outside. Even in keeping the underperforming, undersized Bazzie.

Many strange decisions. By whom? Washington? Or more likely under the heavy influence of Wally Buono.
I still have a hard time buying Buono being behind the idea of the small guy inside. Historically his DL's relied on beef in the interior. It seems to me Westerman moving back inside is more a sign of Wally meddling than the original DL configuration. I guess I just don't see Tedford as one who would willingly work in an environment where the GM is pulling the strings.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It took the Lions half the season to figure this out. Might we see a new enlightened Cortez implement an offence with motion and misdirection or will it take another half season ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Playing around with alignments and positions. Trying off the wall ideas. Play the small guy inside. Draft a small guy for some inside work. Put the big guy outside. Even in keeping the underperforming, undersized Bazzie.

I still have a hard time buying Buono being behind the idea of the small guy inside. Historically his DL's relied on beef in the interior. It seems to me Westerman moving back inside is more a sign of Wally meddling than the original DL configuration. I guess I just don't see Tedford as one who would willingly work in an environment where the GM is pulling the strings.
Re Tedford

I think we all saw it that way.

Now, not so sure ...

As GM/HC, Wally was always in charge. It seemed the same with his protege Benny as HC.

It has seemed the same with his protege MW as DC.

Wally has talked about needing to let go.

Re small guys inside ... Wally has gone outside the box in his thinking before.

Canadian as DE, Johnson.

Meaningful reps for backup QBs.

Wally casts a huge shadow. Even Tedford might just have wanted to go along with the legend to start his time here.

Was MW presented as a keeper? It would seem so.

People can and will see everything differently. Even eye witnesses to accidents. Accidents? Well this year, compared to Wally's best years ... A train wreck.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Where is the HC in all of this weird decisions stuff? I don't think I would point a finger at anyone but Tedford on most of this stuff. :dizzy: :dizzy: If he didn't like it whether it was originally a Washington or Wally decision it is up to Tedford to fix things on O, D and ST. The same goes for Cortez's abysmal Offense, for crying out loud, DO SOMETHING TEDFORD.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:Where is the HC in all of this weird decisions stuff? I don't think I would point a finger at anyone but Tedford on most of this stuff. :dizzy: :dizzy: If he didn't like it whether it was originally a Washington or Wally decision it is up to Tedford to fix things on O, D and ST. The same goes for Cortez's abysmal Offense, for crying out loud, DO SOMETHING TEDFORD.
I agree.

Where is the Head Coach?

Where is he?

Where is the attacking offence?

Where is the attacking defence?

Where is the QB guru? Coach of Aaron Rodgers?

Lulay regressed through his starts. Beck was lost.

peeby
Starter

Darn. I was going to start a thread re: Roh coming in at DE. Beaten to it. I'm very interested in this change. If Roh does well at DE, then I will join others in tearing a strip off the Lions for taking so long to get guys into the right position. This would include Westerman. Now, there is a chance that Roh just looks good in practice and isn't a CFL player. If so, the Lions would still be blameworthy for keeping him around so long.

I agree with the people who think Khreem Smith is a little too old, but at least he showed he could play in the league. Would Alex Bazzie actually be on anybody else's roster? I don't see him coming along, slowly or any other way. To me, Internationals have to develop a lot quicker than Canadians. Main reason? You could probably bring in someone else pretty easily, so why waste the time?
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Hubris? (Excessive pride or confidence?) I know more than you know. Watch. Here is some football thinking few will agree with. And we will make it work. And we can show you on tape.

As noted recently, Wally might try some outlandish ideas, but eventually seems to get the pieces in the right locations.

But in so many instances his judgment seems questionable.

Roh is a very good size for D End. Khreem Smith is ancient. Bazzie is small, and seemingly ineffective this year.

Question? Will we see a little bit more of an attempt to mix in some blitzing, stunts, overloads and fakes at the line of scrimmage?

We know Chris Jones will oftentimes be bringing the house against us. Yes, it can be done. And it is very effective when done right.

Thanks Blitz for posting this. Guys, you cannot convince me otherwise that all of this wasn't simply Wally allowing for TIME to wash away any connections back to himself. He lobbied in camp for Roh to play inside (and thus Westerman outside) and when it flat out failed, the Lions then benched an underweight Roh for a month so that he could "lose weight" to be able to play outside again...I wasn't born yesterday!

Its one thing to have an open mind and to try different experiments (I'm all for that), but if they don't work you must be willing to "turn on a dime" towards something that does. Anyone who watched the Lions could see that Roh had ability but he was massively UNDERSIZED inside, and would be ideal for DE (his NATURAL POSITION) especially since none of our DEs have been producing!!!

Westerman has been a very good player (CDN or not) inside at DT his whole young career, why move him outside? OK, try him for a couple of games, but if he doesn't possess the TECHNIQUE to play DE then what do you expect??? That his "raw talent" will make up for his lack of skill, technique and experience at this critical position??? OTs are highly paid players because of the importance of the position, thus, Westerman was WAY out of his depth there, and everyone not named Wally Buono and Mark Washington could see it!!!

As for Bazzie or Smith, you can replace both of them as neither are the future of the BC Lions DL.

This new configuration is going to have success, because these are talented players in their proper positions. I wonder why we didn't try this from day one, and where is the HC in any of this?
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein