B.C. Lions at Calgary Sept. 18 - Game Day thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

After having stable roster for a couple of weeks, injuries have forced the Lions to juggle the lineup at several positions as they head to Calgary. As Blitz mentioned in another thread, Marco Iannuzzi gets his first start of the year with Austin Collie on the one-game injured list. Cody Husband is the latest lineman to be tried out at right guard, backed up by T-Dre Player, with Dean Valli on the one-game injured list.

On defence, Jamarkus McFarland, who is built like Zach Minter and looked strong in limited reps in preseason, replaces injured rookie Mic'hael Brooks at nose tackle. First-round draft pick Ese Mrabure-Ajufo draws back onto the 46-man roster.

Will the changes help? Well, change can't hurt the offence after last week's performance. Collie is a polished pro but Iannuzzi probably has more speed and has always been able to get open, which is something the other receivers have struggled to do.

Playing McFarland beside Minter gives the Lions two 300-pound tackles for the first time this year to plug gaps and try to disrupt the Calgary running game with Jon Cornish. It's a tall order for two rookies but if they can use their size and strength effectively, they can allow the Lions' more experienced defensive ends and linebackers to make plays. Overall, I'm impressed with the way the defence has performed in the past two weeks. They've been aggressive and have attacked the ball. Minter and Eric Fraser have been big additions, and the young secondary is quietly gaining more experience and showing ability to make plays.

If the defence plays as well as it has and special teams provide good field position, the Lions have a chance.
CardiacKid
Legend

I will PVR the game if only to see how McFarland performs. I have been going nuts with the Lions not playing him, even in the midst of this terrible stretch with their run defense (which in fairness may have turned the corner with the insertion of Minter). Sorry it came at the expense of Brook's injury. I wasn't particularly keen on the guy, especially after some really bone-headed penalties vs. the Riders in BC Place. But he has always shown a willingness to work his butt off and he really does hustle and chases the play. He has reduced the penalties and up'ed his game so I count him as a positive this year.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:After having stable roster for a couple of weeks, injuries have forced the Lions to juggle the lineup at several positions as they head to Calgary. As Blitz mentioned in another thread, Marco Iannuzzi gets his first start of the year with Austin Collie on the one-game injured list. Cody Husband is the latest lineman to be tried out at right guard, backed up by T-Dre Player, with Dean Valli on the one-game injured list.

On defence, Jamarkus McFarland, who is built like Zach Minter and looked strong in limited reps in preseason, replaces injured rookie Mic'hael Brooks at nose tackle. First-round draft pick Ese Marabure-Ajufo draws back onto the 46-man roster.

Will the changes help? Well, change can't hurt the offence after last week's performance. Collie is a polished pro but Iannuzzi probably has more speed and has always been able to get open, which is something the other receivers have struggled to do.

Playing McFarland beside Minter gives the Lions two 300-pound tackles for the first time this year to plug gaps and try to disrupt the Calgary running game with Jon Cornish. It's a tall order for two rookies but if they can use their size and strength effectively, they can allow the Lions' more experienced defensive ends and linebackers to make plays. Overall, I'm impressed with the way the defence has performed in the past two weeks. They've been aggressive and have attacked the ball. Minter and Eric Fraser have been big additions, and the young secondary is quietly gaining more experience and showing ability to make plays.

If the defence plays as well as it has and special teams provide good field position, the Lions have a chance.

Thanks BCFAN, but honestly the only chance the Lions have is if CGY disregards the fact that they have an opponent this week. But with the return of Jon Cornish, and Dave Dickenson on their staff, I doubt it.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ya never know in this league. Underdogs make for difficult opponents. At rock bottom the pressure is off. Guys can play with a somewhat careless attitude. They can be relaxed. And the favourite often finds they feel pressure.

All the teams pay the price physically.

The favourite usually wins. But there is hope for the underdog.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
maxlion
Legend

I'm not sure why the Lions defense is getting a pass after last game, where they gave up over 300 yards passing, 150 yards rushing, and 463 total yards against an average offensive team. If Cornish is 100% and gets the carries, it's scary to think what he could do against our depleted Dline this week. 200+ yards? Or they could focus on demolishing our awful pass defense instead.

On offense, our QB is a one-trick pony who could get shut down even worse this week than last. Assuming CGY will take away the short pass, if Beck can't get some longer completions and stretch the field early on, we're in big trouble.

I've been optimistic about the Lions this year, but this game could get ugly fast.

I hope to see Jennings and McGhee get in some plays. And looking forward to Rainey spelling off Harris and hopefully reinvigorating the run game.

You never say never in the CFL, but a win would be a miracle at this point.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

maxlion wrote:I'm not sure why the Lions defense is getting a pass after last game, where they gave up over 300 yards passing, 150 yards rushing, and 463 total yards against an average offensive team. If Cornish is 100% and gets the carries, it's scary to think what he could do against our depleted Dline this week. 200+ yards? Or they could focus on demolishing our awful pass defense instead.

On offense, our QB is a one-trick pony who could get shut down even worse this week than last. Assuming CGY will take away the short pass, if Beck can't get some longer completions and stretch the field early on, we're in big trouble.

I've been optimistic about the Lions this year, but this game could get ugly fast.

I hope to see Jennings and McGhee get in some plays. And looking forward to Rainey spelling off Harris and hopefully reinvigorating the run game.

Careful what you wish for. I predict Jennings will see the field but it will be in garbage time once the game is out of reach, you know, in the last 15-20min.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

maxlion wrote:I'm not sure why the Lions defense is getting a pass after last game, where they gave up over 300 yards passing, 150 yards rushing, and 463 total yards against an average offensive team. If Cornish is 100% and gets the carries, it's scary to think what he could do against our depleted Dline this week. 200+ yards? Or they could focus on demolishing our awful pass defense instead.

I agree, if Beck was any long term answer here, then by all means play him, but he's not, so if the future is either Jennings or McGhee, then they should play the remainder of the way.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Qman
Champion

MexicoLionFan wrote:

I agree, if Beck was any long term answer here, then by all means play him, but he's not, so if the future is either Jennings or McGhee, then they should play the remainder of the way.
you guys sound like roughrider fans (always wanting to see the back up).

Just play the best guy ... development is for preseason or garbage time
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Fun fact: BC since the start of the 2014 season is 4-12 against playoff-ranked teams:

2014/06/28, Edm 27 BC 20 (0-1)
2014/07/04, Mtl 24 BC 9 (0-2)
2014/07/19, BC 41 Mtl 5 (1-2)
2014/08/01, BC 25 Cgy 24 (2-2)
2014/08/08, BC 36 Ham 29 (3-2)
2014/08/24, Ssk 20 BC 16 (3-3)
2014/09/27, Cgy 14 BC 7 (3-4)
2014/10/04, Ham 19 BC 17 (3-5)
2014/11/01, Edm 37 BC 3 (3-6)
2014/11/07, Cgy 33 BC 16 (3-7)
2014/11/16, Mtl 50 BC 17 (3-8) (ESF)
2015/07/04, Ott 27 BC 16 (3-9)
2015/07/24, Tor 30 BC 27 (3-10)
2015/08/06, BC 26 Edm 23 (4-10)
2015/08/15, Ham 52 BC 22 (4-11)
2015/09/13, Ott 31 BC 18 (4-12)

Little reason to expect this trend to stop tomorrow night.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

MexicoLionFan wrote:I agree, if Beck was any long term answer here, then by all means play him, but he's not, so if the future is either Jennings or McGhee, then they should play the remainder of the way.
Maybe if Beck goes several series of "two and outs" then yea, see if Jennings can kick-start the offense. Or the game is clearly out of reach say, early to mid fourth quarter then yea, insert Jennings. But I do agree with Tedford that you have to go with the QB that gives you the best chance of winning. And that is a veteran. As bleak as it looks, the Leos are far from being out of playoff contention. The season is not over (at least, that's not the message you want to send to a dwindling fan base) and that's why you play these games - to win.

Jennings was unlikely to play last game anyway unless an injury to Beck occurred. The club played on Thursday in Montreal and they didn't have to report back to practice in Surrey until Tuesday. Jennings missed his connecting flight and missed practice on Tuesday. Those kinds of things don't endear you with the head coach.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote:

you guys sound like roughrider fans (always wanting to see the back up).

Just play the best guy ... development is for preseason or garbage time
QB develops in games..... learns in pre-season but until they are in game situations they're not progressing.

In part that is Beck's problem. Backup with credentials but has limited playing time.

QB's come in on short yardage and - at times - they'll trick something up - to get them time and experience.

Having said that JT says McGhee (EDIT>>> error IT"S JENNINGS- MIGHT get a series or two. He is sticking with Beck to get him the playing time he needs to develop - Those are the HC's statements.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
peeby
Starter

Interesting changes. Not sure why you keep a Cody Husband on the one game injury list for 2 years if he can't play, so looking to see what he can do. Also interested to see what a first round draft pick looks like when one is on the field.

The McGhee may get a series comment is news. No Jennings? Really?

Wonder if Adekolu gets any time? Not that I don't like Ianuzzi. Think he's a little underrated in BC.

Actually looking forward to Jeff Tedford's second last game. Yuk!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I screwed that up peeby, meant jennings not mcghee.

I think Ianuzzi will add some fire and heart (although I didn't question Collie in that regard).

The bottom line is that the HC is going to develop Beck not the others this game as he believes Beck needs the game time. It's a bit of a weird one due to his age and lack of playing.
maxlion
Legend

I don't disagree that Beck gives us the best chance to win (though I don't know this for a fact). But we've seen other coaches use 2 or 3 qbs in a game to good effect. Given Beck's limitations, I want to see other guys in to give the team a different look. McGhee showed in preseason that he has some serious running ability. He could be used like Lefevour was in Hamilton.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:I don't disagree that Beck gives us the best chance to win (though I don't know this for a fact). But we've seen other coaches use 2 or 3 qbs in a game to good effect. Given Beck's limitations, I want to see other guys in to give the team a different look. McGhee showed in preseason that he has some serious running ability. He could be used like Lefevour was in Hamilton.
YES, Austin when he Burris used 3 QBs that year and made it very clear he was going to do what needed to be done to move the offence and WIN. He dismissed suggestions that it should be any other way. Now he's got Collaros "playing out of his mind (Milanovich quote) he's hardly using the first back up let alone 3.

Esks did similar when Warren Moon came into the CFL and Tom Wilkinson was there, etc etc.

++++

ED Willes on Hufnagel -can't post whole story due to copyright laws but here's the link below. Some funny openings with Jon H. as Lion guest coach and how Dickinson ended up in Calgary:
There’s a team loyalty,” said Cornish. “We don’t have a lot of guys who stay for a few years, then go rolling out. (Hufnagel’s) stayed away from free agents for that reason. Any time you start bringing in some random dudes, they aren’t going to buy in. We’ve got guys who’ve been here forever because they believe in the power of teamwork.”

Loyalty, in fact, is the term you hear over and over again when Hufnagel’s name comes up. The Stamps have 16 players who have been with the team for at least five years, including most of the core group. In his eight years, Hufnagel has never fired an assistant coach. Some have moved on to other jobs — like Chris Jones, the current Eskimos head coach, and Corey Chamblin, the recently deposed Roughriders’ head coach. Some have moved on to other staffs.

But Hufnagel has never let any of his guys go.

“To me he breeds loyalty,” said Dickenson. “If you’re loyal to him, he’s loyal to you.”
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/wille ... story.html

A great story on Cornish/Harris Tai Chi Mediator vs. Yoga Man by Mike Beamish in The Sun.

Cornish gets a rush out of seeing B.C. Lions orange

“At this point in my career, I understand there are games I simply get more pumped up for than other games,” Cornish says. “Playing against B.C. is definitely one of them. They’re my hometown team (Cornish was born in New Westminster). I was undrafted by them. There are a number of factors, none that I hold against them at this point. But I know the players. I know how to manipulate them into positions they don’t want to be in where I can run against them.”

Join the queue.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/cornish+get ... z3m3K5byCR

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/cornish+get ... z3m3JuF9hZ