B.C. Lions at Calgary Sept. 18 - Game Day thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Maybe I should just not bother. And I won't.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I've been a big fan of Manny in the past and a big critic of him recently. Early in this season I started a thread about a Province story on Manny and how he believes he may likely be playing elsewhere next year as the Lions had not offered him an extension. At the time my position was the Lions needed to re-sign the guy. Today not only do I hope the Lions not offer Manny an extension but I would be quite happy if they released him tomorrow.

Manny is a talented receiver capable of big plays. When he is putting in 100% effort he is still one of the best pass catchers in the CFL. But Manny is not a "clutch" guy. Geroy was clutch. Jason Clearmont was clutch. Dressler and Fantuz are clutch. Sure, when the game is on the line Manny may be the preferred target of whomever is chucking the ball but that is more because Manny gives you a good shot at making the big play. What he doesn't do, and never has done in his career, is make you believe that come hell or high water he is making that reception.

IMHO, our best clutch receiver is actually a running back. Andrew Harris. Unfortunately, Cortez seems to have forgotten that Harris can catch the ball just as well as he can run with it.
David
Team Captain

I strongly disagree with those that call for MA's outright release. How are you going to replace his production? Replace him with whom? He's our leading receiver. In fact, in terms of slots and wideouts, he has nearly double the amount of yards as the next guy (Collie). And we're in the thick of a playoff race with a 3rd string QB with whom he's established some chemistry.

Trust me, I was annoyed when I read his incendiary 'bulletin board' comments prior to the Ottawa game (and Montreal for that matter), for which he has thankfully learned his lesson and won't be posting anything football related. But people are jumping to huge conclusions if they think he's a locker room cancer or that his teammates and coaches don't have his back. Will he be back next year? Unlikely I would say, but that doesn't mean they should release him now and join the ranks of Ernest Jackson, Tim Brown, Stef Logan, and now Andre Monroe - unsigned or released FAs that are now making their mark on other teams.

This Lions team is in no position to dispose of talent. Not this season. And we certainly shouldn't do it just because a couple of TSN guys and some Lionbackers say so. :dizzy:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote: Manny is a talented receiver capable of big plays. When he is putting in 100% effort he is still one of the best pass catchers in the CFL. But Manny is not a "clutch" guy. Geroy was clutch. Jason Clearmont was clutch. Dressler and Fantuz are clutch. Sure, when the game is on the line Manny may be the preferred target of whomever is chucking the ball but that is more because Manny gives you a good shot at making the big play. What he doesn't do, and never has done in his career, is make you believe that come hell or high water he is making that reception
Spot on analysis.
David wrote:I strongly disagree with those that call for MA's outright release. How are you going to replace his production? Replace him with whom? He's our leading receiver. In fact, in terms of slots and wideouts, he has nearly double the amount of yards as the next guy (Collie). And we're in the thick of a playoff race with a 3rd string QB with whom he's established some chemistry.

Trust me, I was annoyed when I read his incendiary 'bulletin board' comments prior to the Ottawa game (and Montreal for that matter), for which he has thankfully learned his lesson and won't be posting anything football related. But people are jumping to huge conclusions if they think he's a locker room cancer or that his teammates and coaches don't have his back. Will he be back next year? Unlikely I would say, but that doesn't mean they should release him now and join the ranks of Ernest Jackson, Tim Brown, Stef Logan, and now Andre Monroe - unsigned or released FAs that are now making their mark on other teams.

This Lions team is in no position to dispose of talent. Not this season. And we certainly shouldn't do it just because a couple of TSN guys and some Lionbackers say so. :dizzy:

The voice of reason. I was ready to pull the plug on him, and agree with BCL above, but you are right that we need him now more than ever. He showed some good signs last game.
David
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote: Manny is a talented receiver capable of big plays. When he is putting in 100% effort he is still one of the best pass catchers in the CFL. But Manny is not a "clutch" guy. Geroy was clutch. Jason Clearmont was clutch. Dressler and Fantuz are clutch. Sure, when the game is on the line Manny may be the preferred target of whomever is chucking the ball but that is more because Manny gives you a good shot at making the big play. What he doesn't do, and never has done in his career, is make you believe that come hell or high water he is making that reception
I'd have to respectfully disagree with this. Who caught the game-winning catch in OT earlier in the season against the Riders and was mobbed by his teammates?

Also, fast forward to 4:10. You'll see one of the finest "clutch" catches in team history.

[video][/video]

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

2 clutch catches in how many years does not a clutch guy make. I am with BCL on his dissection of MA. He can make plays but he doesn't often inspire confidence that he will. Release, meh, what's the point at this juncture? We would still have to pay him any way but we are fast approaching the time where the rest of the season will be window dressing because we will be out of contention. When that time comes, I wouldn't mind auditioning whomever else we may have as a young up and comer. Might as well see what we have given that MA is likely to be gone at the end of the season anyway.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I am staying out of the Manny discussion. Other than to say, I always liked him as a player from the get go.

This year? Dunno ... But he is still a talent. Big, fast, can catch the ball. Can run after catch. Other stuff?

What I will say is, with the right management and coaching, some guys who might seem to have an attitude problem, do not show that on a good team.

It was a nice jump ball catch he made, David. For sure.

In looking at a bit of that tape ...

Durant 75 pass and run TD to Dressler. Suitor says: "Watch how long Darian Durant has in the pocket. All day to slide to his left."

I see 3 DL plus Bighill. Making no progress against 7 blockers. 3 of our guys are double teamed. LOL :dizzy:

And the 8 guys back in a deep zone fail to stop the long bomb. LOL

Child's play, it seems, to coach against us.

But, Hey, Wally can show tape of how we get good pressure on the QB.

And our 8 guys in deep zone for sure can cover 4 receivers, and prevent any long bombs. :dizzy:

SEND 8 MEN IN ON THE RUSH. FROM ALL ANGLES AND FORMATIONS AND STUNTS AND OVERLOADS AND FAKES. MAN TO MAN COVERAGE ON THE 4 RECEIVERS.

Nah, we cannot do that. That is gambling. Yes it is, but the odds are on your side. And you must do it. That is the way of the league these days. 2015.

If you get good at this, Durant might have 1.5 seconds in which to throw the ball away before he is hit with the Tsunami.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

And this. This is almost comical.

8 guys back in zone against 4 receivers. Dressler gets behind 3 of them. LOL

Obviously we were not deep enough. :dizzy:

Two receivers behind our deep zone.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

maxlion
Legend

44 in that video would have been adam leonard, not bighill if im not mistaken.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:44 in that video would have been adam leonard, not bighill if im not mistaken.
44 Bighill, Adam LB International 5.10 230 1988-10-16 Central Washington -- Lions' roster
http://www.bclions.com/roster/index/team/1

Bighill wears 44. That game? Dunno ... Number 44 was far from the point I was making in the post. 44 was one of three guys getting double teamed.

Whatever the number and the player ... If I got that wrong, I stand corrected.

maxlion
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
maxlion wrote:44 in that video would have been adam leonard, not bighill if im not mistaken.
44 Bighill, Adam LB International 5.10 230 1988-10-16 Central Washington -- Lions' roster

Bighill wears 44. That game? Dunno ... Number 44 was far from the point I was making in the post. 44 was one of three guys getting double teamed.

It doesn't really matter and I don't mean to nitpick. However, the video is from the 2010 semifinal, and Bighill signed in 2011.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:

It doesn't really matter and I don't mean to nitpick. However, the video is from the 2010 semifinal, and Bighill signed in 2011.
Full marks for the nitpicking. :thup:

I stand corrected. On the year of the video also.