B.C. Lions at Calgary Sept. 18 - Game Day thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

The_Pauser
Legend

I have backed up my points with stats. Statistically Manny is our best receiver. Statistically Manny is among the lead in the league in yards per catch. If we target him more he would be one of the league leaders in yards, but there are games he's not targeted. YOU seem to want to rag on him every game and scapegoat him anytime something goes wrong.
Roar you Lions roar!
dupsdell1
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:I wouldn't put him on the Lions Wall of Fame just yet. Other quarterback has had a MVP season and faded into oblivion. Anyone remember Casey Printers ?

He does not have Casey Printer Attitude saw him at training camp this guy is a sponge wants to learn every thing no ego.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:I have backed up my points with stats. Statistically Manny is our best receiver. Statistically Manny is among the lead in the league in yards per catch. If we target him more he would be one of the league leaders in yards, but there are games he's not targeted. YOU seem to want to rag on him every game and scapegoat him anytime something goes wrong.
Stats mean nothing when your team is floundering. Glenn was among the most prolific passers at QB until he went down and look where the Riders were. Manny has been nothing but a distraction. His self-aggrandizement is annoying especially when your team is in the midst of a losing streak. Great players find a way to shine even when the rest of the house is collapsing. The only time we hear about Manny is when he is flapping his gums about how great he is or how bad the other team is. Too many times, he simply doesn't get the job done, last night was a purrfect example. When it really mattered he put himself in a position to come up short on a must have TD and that was all she wrote. One more foot of depth was all he needed and a veteran rec. should be aware of those things. Does anyone believe that Geroy wouldn't have made that play in his prime? He constantly gets outfought for balls and those rare times where he does make a catch in space are exceptions rather than the rule. I would trade him in a heartbeat for a Bowman, Green, Rogers, Jackson, Dressler and so on.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:I have backed up my points with stats. Statistically Manny is our best receiver. Statistically Manny is among the lead in the league in yards per catch. If we target him more he would be one of the league leaders in yards, but there are games he's not targeted. YOU seem to want to rag on him every game and scapegoat him anytime something goes wrong.
Stats mean nothing when your team is floundering. Glenn was among the most prolific passers at QB until he went down and look where the Riders were. Manny has been nothing but a distraction. His self-aggrandizement is annoying especially when your team is in the midst of a losing streak. Great players find a way to shine even when the rest of the house is collapsing. The only time we hear about Manny is when he is flapping his gums about how great he is or how bad the other team is. Too many times, he simply doesn't get the job done, last night was a purrfect example. When it really mattered he put himself in a position to come up short on a must have TD and that was all she wrote. One more foot of depth was all he needed and a veteran rec. should be aware of those things. Does anyone believe that Geroy wouldn't have made that play in his prime? He constantly gets outfought for balls and those rare times where he does make a catch in space are exceptions rather than the rule. I would trade him in a heartbeat for a Bowman, Green, Rogers, Jackson, Dressler and so on.

I have been a critic of Manny in the recent past but I acknowledge that he took a step toward redeeming himself in this game. He fought for the ball and for yac.

On the turnover on downs/desperate for a TD play he was feet in the end zone and caught the ball with defenders around him and it was inches from the ball crossing the plane. Give credit to the Stamps D on that play. Same thing with the INT in the end zone where Manny fought for the ball, didn't catch it but made sure the guy covering him didn't get the ball but it came right to the second defender. I can't fault Manny on either play.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Fair enough, he isn't the only problem on this team but he is far from being beyond criticism and his play certainly doesn't rank him among the elite receivers in this league. When he starts performing like those players do on a regular basis, I'll be the first to compliment him but his performance as receiver is about far more than one game. He has been largely invisible the entire season and his most notable contributions to date have been with his mouth off the field and not in a good way. He is supposed to be one of the leaders on this team and he has been anything but. He should just shut up, do the job he's paid to do and do it at a high level; not only when the mood strikes him. His actions will speak far more volumes than anything his mouth can generate.
The_Pauser
Legend

No one is saying that Manny (or anyone for that matter, except maybe Leone) isn't deserving of some criticism. When the team has played this poorly this season there's certainly enough criticism to go around. I'm just annoyed by some people (one in particular) who's been a broken record with his constant Manny bashing even when he has a solid game.

And Sir Purrcival, sure Glenn had a hot start to the year but didn't translate to wins for Saskatchewan, but I highly doubt you would point to him as being the reason the Riders were going winless for so long. Their defense has been absolutely atrocious. As has ours, but given the offense has stalled (due to poor play calling and poor QBing) the defensive issues have been forgotten about.
Roar you Lions roar!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't entirely disagree with what you say. But, you need your "go to" guy to step up once in awhile and make that impossible play or win that fight for a ball. Manny doesn't do that very much or at all when it comes down to it. Most of the time, he seems to coast, every once in awhile putting in a slightly better effort. He isn't consistent enough and that is a fair criticism. We don't need solid, we need outstanding at least once in awhile. When he gets there, I'll be happy to give him his due. Until then, I'll try to keep my dissatisfaction level set to reasonable. As you say (in fact as I said too), he isn't the only problem on this team.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:

I have been a critic of Manny in the recent past but I acknowledge that he took a step toward redeeming himself in this game. He fought for the ball and for yac.

On the turnover on downs/desperate for a TD play he was feet in the end zone and caught the ball with defenders around him and it was inches from the ball crossing the plane. Give credit to the Stamps D on that play. Same thing with the INT in the end zone where Manny fought for the ball, didn't catch it but made sure the guy covering him didn't get the ball but it came right to the second defender. I can't fault Manny on either play.
I concur totally. He had one of his better games of late. Can't fault him for his efforts.
The_Pauser
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:I don't entirely disagree with what you say. But, you need your "go to" guy to step up once in awhile and make that impossible play or win that fight for a ball. Manny doesn't do that very much or at all when it comes down to it. Most of the time, he seems to coast, every once in awhile putting in a slightly better effort. He isn't consistent enough and that is a fair criticism. We don't need solid, we need outstanding at least once in awhile. When he gets there, I'll be happy to give him his due. Until then, I'll try to keep my dissatisfaction level set to reasonable. As you say (in fact as I said too), he isn't the only problem on this team.
I think it depends on what type of receiver Manny is. He is a very good receiver. He's a number 1 receiver. But he's not a franchise game breaker like Geroy Simon was. He's never going to replace Geroy. Nor is he an SJ Greeen who can make all these impossible catches. He's simply a steady receiver who needs his QB to get him the ball (as opposed to going out and making impossible catch after impossible catch). I don't think too many people in the league could fall under that category.
Roar you Lions roar!
pennw
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:No one is saying that Manny (or anyone for that matter, except maybe Leone) isn't deserving of some criticism. When the team has played this poorly this season there's certainly enough criticism to go around. I'm just annoyed by some people (one in particular) who's been a broken record with his constant Manny bashing even when he has a solid game.

And Sir Purrcival, sure Glenn had a hot start to the year but didn't translate to wins for Saskatchewan, but I highly doubt you would point to him as being the reason the Riders were going winless for so long. Their defense has been absolutely atrocious. As has ours, but given the offense has stalled (due to poor play calling and poor QBing) the defensive issues have been forgotten about.
I pretty much agree with everything in this post , some of the attacks on Manny have been over the top . the guy played a pretty good game and still gets attacked for the most frivolous things . But no , he is not a top flight receiver in the league of SJ Green , Marquay McDaniel or Weston Dressler . Most teams have receivers who will outfight DBs for the ball. Can't say that about any our guys ..I think Earnest Jackson would sure look good here , wonder if we could swing a trade for him ?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:No one is saying that Manny (or anyone for that matter, except maybe Leone) isn't deserving of some criticism. When the team has played this poorly this season there's certainly enough criticism to go around. I'm just annoyed by some people (one in particular) who's been a broken record with his constant Manny bashing even when he has a solid game.

I pretty much agree with everything in this post , some of the attacks on Manny have been over the top . the guy played a pretty good game and still gets attacked for the most frivolous things . But no , he is not a top flight receiver in the league of SJ Green , Marquay McDaniel or Weston Dressler . Most teams have receivers who will outfight DBs for the ball. Can't say that about any our guys ..I think Earnest Jackson would sure look good here , wonder if we could swing a trade for him ?
You're about as foolish as your pal the pauser if you think he's being attack for "frivolous" things.

TSN commentator Farhan Lalji and ST callers to post game called for his release as Farhan says he won't be back anyway and you need to send a message.

You too live in a bubble.. Media have consistently called him out. Check out the reports.

All these posts are excuses and you don't win with that.

Im not the one calling for his release but I am sure one of them calling for him to earn his contract.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
pennw wrote:

You're about as foolish as your pal the pauser if you think he's being attack for "frivolous" things.

TSN commentator Farhan Lalji and ST callers to post game called for his release as Farhan says he won't be back anyway and you need to send a message.

You too live in a bubble.. Media have consistently called him out. Check out the reports.

All these posts are excuses and you don't win with that.

Im not the one calling for his release but I am sure one of them calling for him to earn his contract.
You're foolish if you think Manny Arceneaux is the reason this team hasn't been winning games. The reason goes well beyond our leading receiver, who is among the league leaders in yards per reception.
Roar you Lions roar!
pennw
Legend

Nice personal attacks by Toppy instead of sound dialogue.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:Nice personal attacks by Toppy instead of sound dialogue.
Your dialogue amounts to nothing of substance except to attack my points that I've backed up consistently. Your views border on this issue and attacking me border on the delusional.

If you've ever played this game at any level you will know that you need every player competing on every down to win. If you've ever led organizations or coached teams you will know the damage the players with negative attitudes can be.

Your hero turned it up when Jennings got in and had the old fire back as did a lot of the Lions who clearly weren't motivated to perform with the other QB in there.

It's the same old crap on every forum. ONE person attacks someone as was done to me here and then others either pile on and make it an issue - right or wrong. Keep up the trying but any of those who actually know football or have played or coached at any level aren't rushing to this guy's defence.

It's like you and the pauser are in a parallel universe in what you're claiming is attacks on this guy that are over the top to use the phrase coined on me a few games back.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
pennw wrote:Nice personal attacks by Toppy instead of sound dialogue.
Your dialogue amounts to nothing of substance except to attack my points that I've backed up consistently. Your views border on this issue and attacking me border on the delusional.

If you've ever played this game at any level you will know that you need every player competing on every down to win. If you've ever led organizations or coached teams you will know the damage the players with negative attitudes can be.

Your hero turned it up when Jennings got in and had the old fire back as did a lot of the Lions who clearly weren't motivated to perform with the other QB in there.

It's the same old crap on every forum. ONE person attacks someone as was done to me here and then others either pile on and make it an issue - right or wrong. Keep up the trying but any of those who actually know football or have played or coached at any level aren't rushing to this guy's defence.

It's like you and the pauser are in a parallel universe in what you're claiming is attacks on this guy that are over the top to use the phrase coined on me a few games back.
Except you don't back up your points consistently. I have backed up my points, and you resort to calling me and others delusional and making other personal attacks. You also weren't attacked. I called you out on your over the top hate of our best receiver, and your bias against him continues to be blatant in this thread after a game in which Manny played well. Everyone else on here disagrees with you, so maybe you should try viewing the situation with less bias and re-watch the game?
Roar you Lions roar!