B.C. Lions at Calgary Sept. 18 - Game Day thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

randymeeks
Legend

Loved seeing the camera focus on Wally doing the eye twitch up in the press box.
"I have social skills, jackass!"
-Malcolm (Malcolm In The Middle)
Alputt
Champion

The difference between Jennings and recent Lions QB's? Jennings has HEART. And is a deep ball threat with legs to boot. This is the best I've felt about a loss in a long time... A crappy end but... Hope lives in BC.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

84s vertical on the INT matches mine and I'll be 70 Oct 1
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Arceneaux loses a jump ball in the end zone to seal the defeat. Raymond's second end-zone pick of the fourh quarter.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions gave a valiant effort. Can't complain about their efforts tonight
Alputt
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:84s vertical on the INT matches mine and I'll be 70 Oct 1
I also question Manny as you know but at least he played some football today... Gave it some effort. Is he overrated? Yes. Did he come around and try tonight? Also yes. And I was glad to see it.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Another Jennings pick with less than 10 seconds left. Victory formation for Cgy and make the final 35-23 Cgy.

Stamps move to 9-3 to move two wins ahead of 7-4 Edm.

BC will fall to 4-7 for what will be a short-lived share of 3W with Wpg, also 4-7 and currently holding the tiebreaker pending Wpg@BC on Oct 10. Wpg will face 4-6 Mtl on Sunday with the winner pulling ahead of the Lions who will be on the outside of the playoff picture looking in. Who to root for in that one? Pick your poison.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
dupsdell1
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:get a hair cut and catch that wtf HOw can he get his head up with that long trailer...

maybe we need a phone call to WCB as that's a workplace hazard and impediment to a simple INT that the team might be able to use.

But errors on jennings part aside.. he should have had a lot more time early on as that was just plain ugly lion football and the fans won't pay for that.

Yes I Agree Jennings looks exciting probably our future QB but if this team can go into Edmonton and beat them with Jennings at the helm I think we have out new QB

but yes lots of work to be done. Beck is a boring QB Lulay is inconstant does not have it any more they have to build around this young QB for the Future .
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Honestly when a HC tolerates the kind of effort he's gotten from 84 and 85 up to now is intolerable to a team. Top players don't rise to the challenge when things are going great. 85 got a catch or two and made a nice TD stop with the tackle.

I feel bad for Beck but let's move on to a QB who can excite his team AND the fan base.

TSN should be suing the Lions for screwing them up and holding back a guy who has potential to get even non lion or stamps fans tuning in.
dupsdell1
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:Honestly when a HC tolerates the kind of effort he's gotten from 84 and 85 up to now is intolerable to a team. Top players don't rise to the challenge when things are going great. 85 got a catch or two and made a nice TD stop with the tackle.

I feel bad for Beck but let's move on to a QB who can excite his team AND the fan base.

TSN should be suing the Lions for screwing them up and holding back a guy who has potential to get even non lion or stamps fans tuning in.

I agree it is too bad a injury has to happen to see this great future QB
Rammer
Team Captain

Agree with the assessment that the Lions gave it their all on the field tonight. However the good teams just don't beat themselves and Calgary showed that tonight. The Lions actually were the desperate team tonight and the turnovers showed up and cost the the game.

Finally the replacement for Logan and Brown is in town. Fittingly for Vancouver his name is Rainey. Jennings continues to show promise, and now he will have some game film to see his mistakes. So the Edmonton game is the game that his evaluation should be done on. You have wonder why Beck was left in the Ottawa game when the entire O got energized knowing that Jennings has game.
Entertainment value = an all time low
dupsdell1
Champion

Rammer wrote:Agree with the assessment that the Lions gave it their all on the field tonight. However the good teams just don't beat themselves and Calgary showed that tonight. The Lions actually were the desperate team tonight and the turnovers showed up and cost the the game.

Finally the replacement for Logan and Brown is in town. Fittingly for Vancouver his name is Rainey. Jennings continues to show promise, and now he will have some game film to see his mistakes. So the Edmonton game is the game that his evaluation should be done on. You have wonder why Beck was left in the Ottawa game when the entire O got energized knowing that Jennings has game.

Rammer you said it , I have a real good gut feeling about Jennings he is Playmaker , they said he looked unreal in training camp , he had flashes in the Calgary exhibition game , and what would we be saying if he connected on a couple of those long bombs for tds we probably would have won , Yes the Edmonton game is going to be the big test ( there is no way Beck is playing in that game ) and the Eskimos are going to see film on him , so if he comes out a looks like the next coming with a win then I say he is the savior , but if he comes out and throws interceptions and loses we are no better than when beck was in there.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't put him on the Lions Wall of Fame just yet. Other quarterback has had a MVP season and faded into oblivion. Anyone remember Casey Printers ?
The_Pauser
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:Honestly when a HC tolerates the kind of effort he's gotten from 84 and 85 up to now is intolerable to a team. Top players don't rise to the challenge when things are going great. 85 got a catch or two and made a nice TD stop with the tackle.

We get it! You hate Arceneaux. Even when he has a good game you find something to complain about. I don't know how you judge effort, but I see nothing different between him and our other players. He had a solid game tonight, but in the end the whole team wasn't good enough.
Roar you Lions roar!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:

We get it! You hate Arceneaux. Even when he has a good game you find something to complain about. I don't know how you judge effort, but I see nothing different between him and our other players. He had a solid game tonight, but in the end the whole team wasn't good enough.
I get your position. Speak for yourself rather WE. It seems being in Berlin means you haven't heard TSN commentators and other media suggesting what you and another poster attack me for saying including Lalji who last game suggested they release the guy.

By the way, the season ticket holders calling in were LESS enthused about the effort in this game and noted that the offence didn't score any TDs.
Perhaps you need to do some research as it's not just me. Even Chris Boyko tweeted that he saw something not seen recently "UNITY". But they still lost and as Wally says you don't get paid for effort. You get paid to win.

Yes, 84 caught some passes and showed some fire AFTER Hawkins and Burnham stepped on early and made some plays and after Jennings got them excited. His good game on the INT in the end suggested it wasn't 100%. Instead of trying to knock it down, others on broadcasts say he should have tried to catch it. But if your head's all over how it's you against the world like his tweets are saying - then you will play with mixed effort.

At least I back up my points of view with a lot better than he's so 'good in the community. '

You on the other hand provide nothing of substance to back up your statements.

I won't be pushed around on my views by the likes of you.