RedBlacks @ Lions -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:Farhan just said on the post-gram show: "you want to make a statement? Cut Manny Arceneaux. You're not bringing him back next year anyway."

Hmm.

James
When I was trying to get this point across, I was told that I have to get over this criticism and it's over the top.

Moj says Courtenay Taylor should be in the lineup... as he's their best receiver.

__

The best thing about the BC Lions right now is the TSN radio 1040 crew from Rintoul and Caravatta through to the quality of the post game show. Not sure where Chris burns is again this week but he too has stepped up his game in the past two seasons. LU, Farhan, Angus, Moj - very insightful with these guys asking each other questions! Great discussions. LU keeps it all grounded as he's the wise older guy who thinks implications as he's been around and seen all these movies so he's got a good grasp of how these movies all end.

Rod Black talked of the Manny twitter war so was checking now. Every time TSN cut to the Ottawa bench there was a lot of stuff said about 84 and none of it was good.

You think this bleep helps his team? These weren't the back and forth battles on twitter that TSN mentioned.
[img]

Code: Select all

Sep 12
The Manny Show will no longer tweet anything Football Related the duration of the 2015 Season! 

Sep 11
Great time at Bible Study, I prayed 4 all the boundary DBs in the @CFL that Hate Arceneaux, I asked the Lord create N them a Clean Heart

Sep 9
Ottawa's Boundary DB gave me an easy 7 rec for 112 yards in Week 1. It's no reason I don't get fed the (FOOTBALL IMAGE) & Crush Those Numbers! #ChargedUp

Sep 9
Each Week some Whack *** DB runs off at The Mouth, do they secretly monitor my Social Networks, sounds real **** to Me!!
[/img]
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
swervynmerv
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
jcalhoun wrote:Farhan just said on the post-gram show: "you want to make a statement? Cut Manny Arceneaux. You're not bringing him back next year anyway."

Hmm.

James
When I was trying to get this point across, I was told that I have to get over this criticism and it's over the top.

Moj says Courtenay Taylor should be in the lineup... as he's their best receiver.

__

The best thing about the BC Lions right now is the TSN radio 1040 crew from Rintoul and Caravatta through to the quality of the post game show. Not sure where Chris burns is again this week but he too has stepped up his game in the past two seasons. LU, Farhan, Angus, Moj - very insightful with these guys asking each other questions! Great discussions. LU keeps it all grounded as he's the wise older guy who thinks implications as he's been around and seen all these movies so he's got a good grasp of how these movies all end.

Rod Black talked of the Manny twitter war so was checking now. Every time TSN cut to the Ottawa bench there was a lot of stuff said about 84 and none of it was good.

You think this bleep helps his team? These weren't the back and forth battles on twitter that TSN mentioned.
[img]

Code: Select all

Sep 12
The Manny Show will no longer tweet anything Football Related the duration of the 2015 Season! 

Sep 11
Great time at Bible Study, I prayed 4 all the boundary DBs in the @CFL that Hate Arceneaux, I asked the Lord create N them a Clean Heart

Sep 9
Ottawa's Boundary DB gave me an easy 7 rec for 112 yards in Week 1. It's no reason I don't get fed the (FOOTBALL IMAGE) & Crush Those Numbers! #ChargedUp

Sep 9
Each Week some Whack *** DB runs off at The Mouth, do they secretly monitor my Social Networks, sounds real **** to Me!!
[/img]

I called for this during the game. I'd gas Kareem Smith too, Too old and slow. If we are gonna lose, we may as well develop some young talent.

John Beck, he ain't coming back either. After today's performance, could one of the young guys be any worse?
Alputt
Champion

Yeah I was critical of Manny last week, but conceded he was not often targeted and hoped Manny would step up this week, get open and be the target a bunch of times, maybe a TD reception to silence his critics after the "MTL is no good" controversy. Didn't happen. I'm not suggesting Beck is in a position to make average receivers look great, but I think a lot of those quick 5 yarders were a result of pressure, and no decent routes open. Manny is not a "premier" player.

Also Harris was totally contained but they only tried him a handful of times. Maybe a "punishment" adjustment after that fumble turnover early on? Made our offence so predictable and with the expected result... No run game + no deep game = no W game.
Alputt
Champion

Gore is a letdown. Collie at least seems to step up when called upon... Burnham is OK... Manny is an enigma, and possibly a sacrificial lamb... Hawkins too early to tell but I have high hopes.
peeby
Starter

I retired a few years ago, but it might as well have been two years before that. I'd simply lost the ability to take in anything new. As effective as I may have been at one time, I had nothing left at the end and was just holding on. Why bring this up? Think Wally Buono. The way he's treated the Canadian draft? The cutting of players who didn't necessarily lose their job, and weren't really past it? The recruiting for the current year? Maybe even the hiring of Jeff Tedford, who, himself, may be at the same stage I was two years before I retired. Don't think much of some of the 'cronies' he brought in for training camp (players he had in college, etc).

Saw that Hardrick guy on the SK line the other day. No real explanation why he was cut here. If the explanation is that we were going for an all-CDN O-line, then that's a pretty stupid way to go about it. First, you make sure you have 5 or 6 Canadians who can play and who will not be hurt, then you cut the Americans. And, aside from MTL, is there another all-CDN line? Three imports on a line that couldn't block out my grandmother. I do not see that O-line getting better to the point where they can dominate.

D-line? Don't recall Eric Taylor getting run over like this D-line gets run over. I do see possible improvement, however. I agree that Khreem should go with Roh replacing him. The D-line has potential, but cannot be on the field all game like they were tonight.

Another TB? There should have been one from the get go to spell off Harris. Those guys they recruited for training camp were not reasonable candidates for a CFL job.

Don't agree with the Courtenay Taylor comments. Burnham and Hawkins are pretty good replacements for Taylor and the TE. I am firmly in the cut Manny Arsenault camp. Or at least, do something about him. Just not convinced he was the best we could do for that position. Shawn Gore? What if we'd drafted that Demsky guy? If he makes a catch, he can do something. Gore? Chance after chance and he doesn't seem to be able to play. Was there not an interception that he could have fought off? I could be wrong there. It was hard to pay attention to that 'effort' tonight.

QB? Well, some difficulties going after Wally on this one, but I'm going to give it a go. I couldn't have been the only one against paying Lulay over $400,000 a year a couple years ago. He was already injury-prone. Move on, Wally.

To me, you need a good QB, good O-line and good D-line to compete in the CFL. We have none of this right now. That's on Wally, because he was in charge as the franchise declined, which it has.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:41:45 min time of possession for Burris and the RedBlacks.
Sums up the Lions' afternoon.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Like they are saying on 1040, it may be time to cut a veteran to send a message. There maybe some very uncomfortable players and coaches on this team right now. If not, there should be.
Farhan Lalji suggested Manny Arceneaux. I concur
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

can a cfl team go after a player on an NFL practice roster. What are the odds of success. I am thinking of D. Carter.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:can a cfl team go after a player on an NFL practice roster. What are the odds of success. I am thinking of D. Carter.
Why would a NFL practice roster player even contemplate coming North ? Makes more $$$ on the practice roster.
maxlion
Legend

Lots of justified cynicism around the Lions these days, and probably fair to say that anyone still optimistic about the team under current coaching and mgmt is basing their optimism on past rather than current performance.

Special teams were terrific, holding Williams to short gains and Rainey busting two big returns. Leone as usual was excellent.

Defense held up well at times but melted in the latter stages. Time of possession has been a problem all year and partly a result of playing soft defense. Not a terrible performance on D, but gave up too many yards, stayed on the field too long, and didn't come up with any turnovers. With a half decent offense, might have been enough.

Offense--too many penalties, no run game, and again below average quarterbacking. The short 5 yard passes worked well all game. Beck lacks accuracy on longer passes and just has nothing else to offer. I can understand wanting to protect and groom the younger guys, but we should at least be getting them in the game with some set plays. Don't understand what happened to the run game. Harris gassed? Teams adjusting? 84's lack of humility and respect is becoming a distraction. Time to cut the cord, in my opinion.

We need to make a run at the national free agents available. They could make an impact this year and set us up for years. But who wants to come to a declining team?

I want to see Tedford and Cortez stick around, but don't know what's going on behind the scenes. A lot of our offensive struggles are due to not having a competent quarterback. Look at Winnipeg with Nichols vs Winnipeg with Brohm.

Not too late to turn things around, but hard to imagine doing so with Beck or Lulay at QB.
Last edited by maxlion on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qman
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:can a cfl team go after a player on an NFL practice roster. What are the odds of success. I am thinking of D. Carter.
Why would a NFL practice roster player even contemplate coming North ? Makes more $$$ on the practice roster.
Duron carter makes 96k on a NFL practice roster ... probably 250k in CFL.
of course, he gives up the optionality of making 600k if he dresses in NFL, if he came back.
Bosco
Team Captain

The Lions organization from the top down is flatter than a pancake, and wholesale changes are required not only for the short term direction of this current team, but also for the long term viability of the franchise. There are so many links in the chain broken right now, it's hard to know where to start - but I believe that it's time not only to direct Wally into retirement, but for David Braley to consider selling the franchise to someone, or a group of people that can breathe new life, direction and financial support into this almost moribund franchise.

If my employer looked as dysfunctional and shared the same poor results as the Lions look now, there would be changes...MANY changes. These changes, would start from the top and filter their way down.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I believe that Braley has the team on the market, and either is getting no offer, or not getting any offers from anyone he wants to trust the team to. I believe he cares about finding the right owner for the team more than getting all the money he can. Of course, he is also not going to just give the team away, nor should he.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

Alputt wrote:When Beck threw the end zone interception (Gore was targeted I think?) with a few minutes left the place cleared out...
The fans weren't the only ones to clear out the place, they were joined by the players.

The body language of the team after that end zone interception spoke volumes. The looked like they have lost all confidence, hope and have completely checked out. They look like they can hardly wait for the year to be over.
Qman
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:I believe that Braley has the team on the market, and either is getting no offer, or not getting any offers from anyone he wants to trust the team to. I believe he cares about finding the right owner for the team more than getting all the money he can. Of course, he is also not going to just give the team away, nor should he.
Thats crap.

lions had their most successful year last year financially ever ... largely due to the Grey cup and massive increase in grey cup prices with resulted in the largest live gate in Cdn history even though it didn't totally sell out. Conservatively they made $8m on the grey cup probably even more give the ticket price increase and previous grey cups made $10m and $9m per event at lower prices. And the lions themselves easily made $1-2m with the new TSN TV deal drastically lowering their break-even.

Trouble is for some reason the business side did nothing in offseason and looks like football side did the same.
Last edited by Qman on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.