Chevon Walker is available.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

Maybe this could be a welcome addition to give the offence another dimension.

http://cfl.ca/article/redblacks-release ... von-walker

He is a potentially explosive back that could take some of the focus off Harris. Maybe he could return punts better than Antolin as well.....
InUrFace
Rookie

Wally is to cheap to get him. Im sure he wants $$$$$$$ and would he come here period. Wally puts a bad taste in players mouths. Thats why we never get good Free Agents. Good idea though!
CardiacKid
Legend

Sort of surprising but not really. He was definately having a hard go this year. Not entirely sure why the RedBlacks chose to not bring back Jonathon Williams after he had such success while replacing Walker in the latter half of last season.

It is tempting but I don't recall if he has punt return experience in the league? I do seem to recall he is not particularly strong as a receiver out of the backfield?
maxlion
Legend

InUrFace wrote:Wally is to cheap to get him. Im sure he wants $$$$$$$ and would he come here period. Wally puts a bad taste in players mouths. Thats why we never get good Free Agents. Good idea though!
It's David Braley's $$$, not Wally's. Wally has to work within the league's salary cap as well as the organization's budget. His willingness to cut longtime Lions may have a small impact on attracting free agents, but all teams cut players, all the time. It's part of the business, and I'd rather have a GM who's not afraid to make needed changes than one who makes poor football decisions out of loyalty.

That said, not sure if Walker can help, but we do need another option at RB.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Walker has been found wanting by two teams. He had one good game this year, and that was against the Lions. He doesn't have the power for the inside run game. The Lions are better to use Murray-Lawrence and Gore for the outside run game.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Walker has been found wanting by two teams. He had one good game this year, and that was against the Lions. He doesn't have the power for the inside run game. The Lions are better to use Murray-Lawrence and Gore for the outside run game.
Fully agree on Walker not being the answer to the Lions problems. Lions need some leadership and a power running back in the Messam mold, just not with the baggage.

The problem with the Lions run game lies much deeper than the talent though, Harris has been stymied for the last couple games and Murray-Lawrence hasn't found traction period.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Lions have signed speedster RB Chris Rainey who's been on a few NFL rosters. Was brought in by the Als late last year but was released.

Info on Chris Rainey HERE.

The club also signed LB JoJo Dickson and released DB Alex Tillman.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Lions have signed speedster RB Chris Rainey who's been on a few NFL rosters. Was brought in by the Als late last year but was released.

Info on Chris Rainey HERE.

The club also signed LB JoJo Dickson and released DB Alex Tillman.

DH :cool:
Rainey is an undersized speedster who ran a 4.36 40 in his 2012 NFL year. He averaged 20.5 yards on 12 kickoff returns last year in Montreal and 6.0 yards on 3 punt returns. Those aren't great numbers but the Lions haven't got much from Keola Antolin and Alex Tillman this year.

Dickson is a big, slow linebacker who has bounced around the NFL for three years. I can't see him as an upgrade on Alex Hoffman-Ellis, who is much faster but was badly exposed last week against Montreal.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

It didn't take long for me to find out that Rainey was released in 2013 by Pittsburgh in his rookie year after he was charged with battery (violence against his girl friend). Obviously there was no conviction or he wouldn't have been allowed in an Als TC.

I hope the Lions are up to date on Rainy's background and character.
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:It didn't take long for me to find out that Rainey was released in 2013 by Pittsburgh in his rookie year after he was charged with battery (violence against his girl friend). Obviously there was no conviction or he wouldn't have been allowed in an Als TC.

I hope the Lions are up to date on Rainy's background and character.
Especially since the organization is the poster child for the new initiative undertaken by the league regarding domestic violence.
CardiacKid
Legend

And he was released by the Colts for an undisclosed indiscretion that violated team rules......
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

System adaptation after Wally's directive to self-scout?

Tinkering?

Bring in a slow LB

Bring in a small, fast RB with a history of troubles

To quote Vince Lombardi: "What the he** is going on around here?"

IMO we could use a back like Walker to spell Harris. Share the work load.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Have things gone so wrong that we're considering picking up the RedBlacks' castoffs ?
JohnHenry
Champion

There's a reason why Hamilton and Ottawa released Walker. He's really fast but only in one direction. If he has to turn his body he can be tackled very easily. The Lions would be better off signing a college RB/FB who is an exceptional blocker, has good hands and can carry the load to free up Harris from being keyed-upon.
pennw
Legend

maxlion wrote:
InUrFace wrote:Wally is to cheap to get him. Im sure he wants $$$$$$$ and would he come here period. Wally puts a bad taste in players mouths. Thats why we never get good Free Agents. Good idea though!
It's David Braley's $$$, not Wally's. Wally has to work within the league's salary cap as well as the organization's budget. His willingness to cut longtime Lions may have a small impact on attracting free agents, but all teams cut players, all the time. It's part of the business, and I'd rather have a GM who's not afraid to make needed changes than one who makes poor football decisions out of loyalty.

That said, not sure if Walker can help, but we do need another option at RB.
I agree maxlion , all teams do the same thing cutting players just like Wally does. How else would you explain guys like Nic Lewis and Fred Stamps playing for the ALS now along with Logan ? I'm sure those two could share experiences with Logan .
The trouble with Wally signing free agents IMO is that he thinks we just don't need them because of our great scouting department .