Classy Cam Wake with BMAC on TSN 1040 & Crass Cris Carter

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Now this is what class is all about. Great interview with a super individual who comes across humble, professional and a fan of BC and the CFL. When he speaks here of helping younger players it's not a "me" kind of focus.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... e-1.351339

Compare Cam Wake with Manny's forays into the media and Twitterverse. None.

Or what about Cris Carter telling rookies to get a fall guy to take the rap for them. How is this guy not fired? In Canada in some situations that is a crime - counseling an offence - advising someone to break the law.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.2336034

NFL Covered this up for a year and Goodell worries about a few deflated footballs???!!! You have to see the video to appreciate how bad this was. He gets a guy on stage during this and you could tell the guy was pretty wary of this talk.

"If you all got a crew, you got to have a fall guy in the crew," Carter told the rookies. "If you all have a crew, one of those fools got to know, he's the one going to jail. We'll get him out."

Then his apology .. but how ESPN can forgive this is beyond belief. You did tell them to break the law.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13504 ... bad-advice

Then there's this lot of BC Lions - Manny Arseneaux, Gore 85.

Kirk Penton Aug. 25 http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/25/cf ... wrong-move
COME AGAIN?

You have to wonder how bad things are in Vancouver these days, especially after Manny Arceneaux's performance in the fourth quarter last week.

Arceneaux waved at a scrambling Travis Lulay to throw the ball to him as they both ran toward the sideline. When Lulay did throw the ball, Arceneaux pulled the chute and didn't even attempt to grab the pigskin. The ball ended up in the hands of Alouettes defensive back Dominique Ellis, and Montreal went on to win the game.

Arceneaux's reaction after the game? It wasn't a mea culpa. In fact, he decided to rip the Alouettes to TSN 1040, saying none of them has any talent and he doesn't respect them.

Wow.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:NFL Covered this up for a year and Goodell worries about a few deflated footballs???!!! You have to see the video to appreciate how bad this was. He gets a guy on stage during this and you could tell the guy was pretty wary of this talk.
My understanding is the NFL wasn't even covering it up at all but quite the opposite: they posted the video a year ago of CC delivering those comments at their 2014 rookie symposium, when it was fresh, on their own website, under the title "Rookies learn life lessons from Sapp and Carter" although it seems it went largely unnoticed until a few days ago when NBC Sports' profootballtalk.com posted an article about it and even gave the nfl.com link to the video in question. The NFL had it removed from their site less than an hour after the PFT article appeared but of course copies of it remain out there on the internet, easily found on youtube.

The fact that they not only never even bothered trying to hide it, but in fact put it on the internet for the whole world to see, speaks volumes about the NFL's moral compass under Roger Goodell. SMH.

The PFT scoop: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -fall-guy/
...the NFL apparently didn’t have a problem with what Carter said: His presentation was posted on the league’s own website, and Carter was invited back to speak at this year’s Rookie Symposium.
A copy of the 6min video on youtube:

[video][/video]

Here's a follow-up PFT article reacting to the NFL's removal of the video from their website: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... guy-video/
It’s easy to understand why the NFL would pull the video: Carter and Warren Sapp were openly encouraging rookies to be ready to have someone help them break the law. That’s not exactly the kind of image the NFL wants to project.

What’s harder to understand is why the NFL would post the video in the first place. It should have been obvious to anyone that such comments are not appropriate. But the video had been online at NFL.com for more than a year before Carter’s comments were mentioned in an ESPN article (an article that withheld the name of Carter, an ESPN employee).

Once the comments began to generate attention, the NFL decided to pull the video. Apparently the NFL doesn’t realize that you can never completely delete anything from the Internet. Videos of Carter’s comments have already been uploaded elsewhere and will be around forever, whether the NFL likes it or not.
Once it drew attention, THEN they pulled it. Says it all.

BC native Mitch Berger, the former NFL punter who does a weekly hit on 1040, was on Monday morning and called Cris Carter, a former Viking teammate, "the biggest bully in the history of the NFL that I ever knew of."

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... y-1.350208

Apparently 2014 wasn't the first time Carter has spoken at the NFL's rookie symposium. The following excerpt is from an article on the NFL's own website covering his presence at the 2009 event:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/07/01/colorfu ... symposium/
The final speaker at the symposium was former NFL wide receiver and current ESPN analyst Cris Carter — and he brought the noise. One player made the mistake of dozing off while Carter was speaking, and the player was awakened by a scolding he won’t forget. Carter pointed out to the audience — but also to the player — that if you don’t want to listen to people who know more than you and who can help you navigate through what lies ahead, then odds are you won’t be in the league for long because someone who does want to learn will take your job.

On that note, Carter warned the rookies that the veteran players they will try to replace are competing for mortgages, car notes and their families. So when training camp arrives, the rookies will face competition like they’ve never experienced. But Carter praised the rookies for being a talented group and told them it’s their job to take someone’s job -– just as it will be for next year’s rookie to take their jobs.
Was he also talking about "fall guys" five years before the 2014 video? I don't know. There was at one time a video on the above webpage but it's been deleted.

Not sure if everyone here is aware of the "Wayback Machine Internet Archive" but it takes "snapshots" of various webpages and archives them on their own webspace. Whaddaya know, they archived the Cris Carter video from nfl.com as it appeared on June 26, 2014, 14 months ago. The above youtube video is a ~6min excerpt of the full 22min version that was on the NFL's site. The excerpt starts at 16:30 of the video in the link below and runs through the end:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140626053 ... and-Carter
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

How can Carter keep his job? Others get dumped for far, far less than advising players to get someone who will go to jail for them and take all the raps.

I got this from Deadspin as the first I heard of this. Funny they had the video up but no one made a big deal of it until now.
At the 2014 NFL Rookie Symposium, Cris Carter .... There was, for the first time in the symposium’s history, a reporter in the audience:

The MMQB’s Robert Klemko. Though Klemko wrote an account of the panel led by Carter and Warren Sapp, he did not mention these comments. Now we know it’s because the NFL asked him not to.
Today Klemko addressed his experience at the symposium and his choice not to publish the controversial remarks.

I agreed to the NFL’s condition that I would not enter the small group sessions, and there would be one or two things the league could look back on and say, ‘that was off the record.’ When the public relations or marketing arm representing an org or a player facilitates access such as this, there is often a verbal agreement that certain details observed in the course of reporting may be negotiated for omission. Personally, I only agree to these omissions when the subject matter is immaterial to what I gather is the larger point of the story, which, in the case of the symposium, I believed Carter’s comment was.
http://deadspin.com/cris-carters-fall-g ... 1726215757

I saw the video tape and Klemko saying this was light hearted is complete BS.
When Carter said the words, “have a fall guy” in what was a light-hearted and animated session that at times made league employees in attendance cringe, the NFL’s Kim Fields looked my way and said, “that can’t go in the story.” I was torn.
The NFL is all over Brady for his balls but this is far, far worse. They should have stopped this and prevented him from any further contact with new players.

___

But wasn't Cam Wake's interview refreshing???
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Cam Wake seems as humble as ever. The greatest pass rusher in BC Lions history.
David
Team Captain

Heard the Cam Wake interview live on TSN1040 today and two things struck out at me. First, what a credit to the game he is. Bright, articulate, hard-working, and humble. Second, I'm thinking, here's a guy who's gone on to become an NFL superstar but still professes his love for Vancouver and that "his heart is with the Lions." Who's the 1 franchise in the league that would neglect to capitalize on this golden promotional opportunity? Who's the 1 team that would never think to tape a segment in the off-season with a bankable CFL/NFL star urging fans to buy Lions season tickets, or bring him here early in the season for an autograph signing and/or wheel him around the stadium at half-time?

Yup, us. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Cam Wake seems as humble as ever. The greatest pass rusher in BC Lions history.
just wondering, are there stats to back this statement up, or is it based on him making it in the NFL.

surely you haven't seen every pass rusher to ever play for the BC lions.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Cam Wake seems as humble as ever. The greatest pass rusher in BC Lions history.
just wondering, are there stats to back this statement up, or is it based on him making it in the NFL.

surely you haven't seen every pass rusher to ever play for the BC lions.
I've seen them all since 1965
dupsdell1
Champion

James Quick Parker remember the Indian feather on his helmet. Cam Wake would have smashed his records if he stayed here for another 2-3 seasons , cam was destined to play in the NFL like Warren Moon .
The_Pauser
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:Now this is what class is all about. Great interview with a super individual who comes across humble, professional and a fan of BC and the CFL. When he speaks here of helping younger players it's not a "me" kind of focus.

Or what about Cris Carter telling rookies to get a fall guy to take the rap for them. How is this guy not fired? In Canada in some situations that is a crime - counseling an offence - advising someone to break the law.

NFL Covered this up for a year and Goodell worries about a few deflated footballs???!!! You have to see the video to appreciate how bad this was. He gets a guy on stage during this and you could tell the guy was pretty wary of this talk.

"If you all got a crew, you got to have a fall guy in the crew," Carter told the rookies. "If you all have a crew, one of those fools got to know, he's the one going to jail. We'll get him out."

Then his apology .. but how ESPN can forgive this is beyond belief. You did tell them to break the law.

Can't we compliment and appreciate a guy like Cam Wake without having to pile on and trash Manny Arceneaux? Jeez. Arceneaux is heavily involved with charity events and involved with young kids in sport, both in BC and back in Louisiana, yet some people here act like he's the worst thing that ever happened to the Lions.

People's agendas really show quite clearly in posts like this.
Roar you Lions roar!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Now this is what class is all about. Great interview with a super individual who comes across humble, professional and a fan of BC and the CFL. When he speaks here of helping younger players it's not a "me" kind of focus.

Can't we compliment and appreciate a guy like Cam Wake without having to pile on and trash Manny Arceneaux? Jeez. Arceneaux is heavily involved with charity events and involved with young kids in sport, both in BC and back in Louisiana, yet some people here act like he's the worst thing that ever happened to the Lions.

Well if you think that trashing the Als with support from both team mates and coaches - fine.
Chris Boyko CFST retweeted
Shawn Gore ‏@SGore85 Aug 23
People bashing my brother @arceneaux84 don't care what he said. One of the hardest workers and positive leaders you'll find. #hatersgonahate
4 retweets 15 favorites
Reply Retweet 4 Favorite 15
Maybe you need to read the context and intent of the thread. By your standard when the Lions lose no one should be "piling on". Get a grip on reality dude. It's a fan forum ... we're all entitled to our views.

The thread I started was to high lite differences in attitudes - Wake, Cris Carter and - I could add the class of a John Bowman post game who spoke of the threat of the loss of football as he's been here 10 years.

NOTE to pauser: there is NO piling on if you back track from silly remarks or better still don't say that stuff.... but the reality is like his coach said. We didn't dive for the ball (INT). They did. We know from the Lions play there is an attitude and character issue here. Why speak up and show us how dumb you are when the Als just handed you a L like the week before when the ticats did the same. L is LOSING but in Manny's world that's winning.

Agenda is right. If the Lions don't wake the bleep up and get their ATTITUDES together then this is a losing season for reasons that are controllable.

If fans such as yourself want to be delusional about the team you support - then fine.

Great Arseneaux does charity work. Super role model for kids. All fine. But if you are a pro football player, show the right attitude, show class.

It's not a good thing when your players talk trash and won't retract it as it disrespects your team, your organization, opponents and the CFL.
When you lose that even's worse. He's not only doubled down on it in two interviews, tweets show he doesn't care.

NOT ONE PEEP out of the Lions on Manny's two ridiculous interviews.

As to piling on Manny ARSEneaux... read the media, listen to the talk. NO one is defending other than their strength coach, Gore and his majesty Areseneaux.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:James Quick Parker remember the Indian feather on his helmet. Cam Wake would have smashed his records if he stayed here for another 2-3 seasons , cam was destined to play in the NFL like Warren Moon .
I would rank Parker as the 2nd best rusher in the Lions history. Wake possessed both strength and speed, Parker was all about speed.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I would rate Parker and Brent Johnson ahead of Wake because they contributed to the defence for a much longer period.

B.C. LIONS SACK TOTALS (from bclions.com)

Career
89.0 Brent Johnson 2001 to 2011
82.5 James Parker 1984 to 1989

Season
26.5 James Parker 1984 (CFL Record)
23.0 Gregg Stumon 1987
23.0 Cameron Wake 2008
22.0 James Parker 1986
20.0 O.J. Brigance 1993
Rodu
Champion

Wake had 39 sacks in two seasons, that's on pace for 78 in four seasons, 97.5 in five seasons. Given his success down south, I think he was just honing his craft for two years, not playing much DE before, only a bit in college. 63 sacks in six seasons down there btw
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I would rate Parker and Brent Johnson ahead of Wake because they contributed to the defence for a much longer period.

B.C. LIONS SACK TOTALS (from bclions.com)

Career
89.0 Brent Johnson 2001 to 2011
82.5 James Parker 1984 to 1989

Season
26.5 James Parker 1984 (CFL Record)
23.0 Gregg Stumon 1987
23.0 Cameron Wake 2008
22.0 James Parker 1986
20.0 O.J. Brigance 1993
Yes, as BC Fan notes it depends on your measuring device. Longevity or just a few seasons.

Wally wouldn't answer this (said it was a tough question) on the Sekeres show post the film study). I think he was asked to compare Brent with Wake.

Was Doug Flutie the best ever Lion QB is similar I guess as he too wasn't in BC that long.

I wonder what would have happened if flutie hadn't taken the Calg owners deal as he later had issues collecting it IIRC and had he stayed in BC with Darren. But even Darren and Danny Mc didn't stay which for me is sad as both those guys exhuded class and talent.

I knew some Lion players back then and they said that Flutie said to them he was not here about the money - next he's playing for the Stamps.
The_Pauser
Legend

Toppy Vann wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:

Well if you think that trashing the Als with support from both team mates and coaches - fine.
Chris Boyko CFST retweeted
Shawn Gore ‏@SGore85 Aug 23
People bashing my brother @arceneaux84 don't care what he said. One of the hardest workers and positive leaders you'll find. #hatersgonahate
4 retweets 15 favorites
Reply Retweet 4 Favorite 15
Maybe you need to read the context and intent of the thread. By your standard when the Lions lose no one should be "piling on". Get a grip on reality dude. It's a fan forum ... we're all entitled to our views.

The thread I started was to high lite differences in attitudes - Wake, Cris Carter and - I could add the class of a John Bowman post game who spoke of the threat of the loss of football as he's been here 10 years.

NOTE to pauser: there is NO piling on if you back track from silly remarks or better still don't say that stuff.... but the reality is like his coach said. We didn't dive for the ball (INT). They did. We know from the Lions play there is an attitude and character issue here. Why speak up and show us how dumb you are when the Als just handed you a L like the week before when the ticats did the same. L is LOSING but in Manny's world that's winning.

Agenda is right. If the Lions don't wake the bleep up and get their ATTITUDES together then this is a losing season for reasons that are controllable.

If fans such as yourself want to be delusional about the team you support - then fine.

Great Arseneaux does charity work. Super role model for kids. All fine. But if you are a pro football player, show the right attitude, show class.

It's not a good thing when your players talk trash and won't retract it as it disrespects your team, your organization, opponents and the CFL.
When you lose that even's worse. He's not only doubled down on it in two interviews, tweets show he doesn't care.

NOT ONE PEEP out of the Lions on Manny's two ridiculous interviews.

As to piling on Manny ARSEneaux... read the media, listen to the talk. NO one is defending other than their strength coach, Gore and his majesty Areseneaux.
It's also quite annoying when people can't be bothered to spell his name correctly. The guy has been here for how many years?

So he made some comments after a game a week ago, so what? That still doesn't take away from all the work he does with kids and with minor league sports here. Yet in your original post you suggest that he does it for his own personal fame. Where do you get off on making a claim like that?

We get it, you don't like the comments he made. Boo hoo. Move on. Let's see how he responds before crucifying him. No, I'm not being delusional. But all certain posters on here have done, and all the media has done is talk about it over and over again that I'm getting more sick of hearing about it than I am about deflategate. Let it go!

Manny is our leading receiver, and has one of the highest average yards per reception in the league. He's a gamer, but his overall numbers are down because the Lions, for whatever reason, aren't targeting him that much. And on some of the times they do target him he's been overthrown.

You want to talk about attitudes and class? What about Richard Sherman who openly stated he doesn't respect Michael Crabtree, yet that was okay? But hey let's just pile on Arceneaux because of a comment he made and let's nitpick one play. ONE play. :bang: Instead of having a vulture mentality why don't we try to look from it from a different point of view? Clearly he's frustrated, and he knows he and the rest of the team are better. Perhaps he's just using this tactic to fire himself up and his teammates? Nope, instead let's just accuse him of being completely classless and only doing work with kids and in the community because he wants to shine the spotlight on himself. SMH
Roar you Lions roar!