Als 23 @ Leos 13 - Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A win is a win is a win ... and a loss is just a loss. Is it not?

STs coverage is abysmal.

Effort of some players is fine. Not all. Definitely not all.

Run defence is abysmal.

Teams scheme to take Andrew Harris out of the game. And we have no other running back to mix things up, to take the focus off of Harris. Montreal used 3 backs to run the ball. We use one. Nine in the box at times for the Als. We did not have much of a scheme against it.

Also, we do not seem to scheme to hit the secondary level where the Alouette blitzers have just vacated.

Screen pass coverage is abysmal.

But, Hey, Wally can point out how we got some sacks with our excellent pass rush.

I do not criticize our D Line players. I find a flaw in the scheme whereby we do not use blitzes or the other features of an attack style defence.

We feature 4 man rush, with 8 guys back in zone coverage. We do not send the house against the quarterback. Some fans may like this defensive philosophy. Others, such as myself, do not like it in any way, shape or form.

Harris has had zero holes to run through. Seemingly not well schemed.

Lulay should have thrown the Int away. Once again, our receivers show little or no fight for the ball. Very ordinary group. Manny is sleep walking, unless he gets a TD. He looks very unhappy, sulky even.

Alouettes at the one. Second down. TD. 716 left. Off tackle; a good choice IMO. The centre of the line is lower % IMO.

At this point, one has to wonder what is worse: our O or our D?

Did not look like penalty on Clarke. Close call, but hard to overturn. 20-13.

Antolin looks slow compared to the burners in the league. One has to question our personnel staff. Our talent looks so ordinary. Game breakers missing in action. On all units.

Als bringing the heat at game end. Effectively. We try long. We do not try the intermediate zone versus the blitz.

This is Wally's team. And at this stage of his career, it does not look good.

Wally looked so pleased and proud when Jeff Tedford fell into our lap. Desperation move? Not building on strength? Tedford is not looking like the second coming of Marc Trestman. Not innovative. Not smarter than the opposition. Not a superior coach to the likes of Hufnagel, Austin or Milanovich. Not even at their level, it would seem.

Game not over yet. We need a stop at the 3 minute warning. No stop so far. A FG would sew it up. Our defence not stopping anything on this drive. 2nd and 4. First down. Ughhhhh

58" left. No time out left? What does it matter?

15" left. Field goal. 23-13 Als.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 16/27 174 1 1

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
A. LEONARD 4 47 0 22
E. ARCENEAUX 3 51 1 24
S. GORE 3 20 0 14
A. COLLIE 2 24 0 18
C. TAYLOR 2 22 0 17
A. HARRIS 2 10 0 7

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 8 10 0 6
T. LULAY 2 12 0 9
S. GORE 1 11 0 11

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

R. LEONE
0/1 0 1/1 1

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. LEONE 8 48.6 296 59

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
K. ANTOLIN 3 14 4.7 8 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. LEONE 3 188 66 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
K. ANTOLIN 2 38 19.0 23 0
S. MURRAY-LAWRENCE 1 30 30.0 30 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
A. HOFFMAN-ELLIS 10 0 0 0
A. BIGHILL 9 0 0 0
T. LEE 9 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 8 0 0 0
M. BROOKS 4 0 0 1
K. SMITH 3 2 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 3 0 1 0
J. WESTERMAN 3 0 0 0
C. ROH 2 1 0 0
A. BAZZIE 2 0 0 0
S. CLARKE 2 0 0 0
C. RWABUKAMBA 2 0 0 0
R. YELL 1 0 0 0
E. ARCENEAUX 1 0 0 0
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
R. CATO 16/19 154 1 1
T. MARSH 3/3 6 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
N. LEWIS 4 52 1 21
T. SUTTON 4 43 0 21
F. STAMPS 4 26 0 12
S. GREEN 3 19 0 12
B. RUTLEY 2 10 0 9
A. CHARETTE 2 10 0 5

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
T. SUTTON 14 111 0 54
B. RUTLEY 10 50 0 15
T. MARSH 7 12 1 6
S. LOGAN 5 54 0 23
F. STAMPS 1 11 0 11
A. CHARETTE 1 8 0 8
R. CATO 1 5 0 5

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
T. SUTTON 1 0 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

B. BEDE
3/3 50 0/1 9

Punting NO AVG NET LG
B. BEDE 5 43.4 203 50

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
S. LOGAN 6 93 15.5 42 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
B. BEDE 3 213 80 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
S. LOGAN 2 38 19.0 30 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
W. VENABLE 5 0 0 0
C. COX 4 1 0 0
K. ELSWORTH 3 1 0 0
D. ELLIS 2 0 1 0
M. WHITE 2 0 0 0
M. KLASSEN 2 0 0 0
M. BROUILLETTE 2 0 0 0
J. HEFNEY 2 0 0 0
G. KNAPTON 1 1 0 0
J. JOSEPH 1 0 0 0
B. PARKER 1 0 0 0
A. LAVARIAS 1 0 0 0
C. IRVIN 1 0 0 0
A. CASH 1 0 0 0
K. HEBERT 1 0 0 0

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

251 yards rushing given up. Hmmmm

Is our defence rounding into shape? Are those guys who are new to the CFL figuring out how to play football in Canada? Nothing to do with the scheme?

Execution. That is the culprit. The guys just have to complete their assignments as Mark draws them up on computer (with Wally looking over his shoulder -- zone, no blitzing).

It looks to me like the guys play hard, but they are in a chase defence, not attack. Look at the mayhem the Als blitzing creates.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The issues are not WALLY - other than allowing his HC to cut brown/logan without a look.

CHARACTER - this team is very limited. NO SOLID CORE OF INTENSE, COMMITTED PLAYERS
> it was clear from the get go that the Als targeted Harris. Book out of the east might be to get to him early as well as stop him and you take away the fight in the Offense.

LEADERSHIP - the HC needs to deal with this and not next year. It's time to get angry JT .. you lack character and it's time to address that and challenge this team. Not defend their intensity and lack of perfomance.

SCHEMES - still a problem.

FFS JT ... lulay gettting flushed from the pocket should be Lulay on designed plays moving the pocket. This is not the NFL....

EXECUTION - Definitely there needs to an execution of somebody in the roster.

COACHING AND PREP... lacking from top to bottom.

That Als team wanted to lose....
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
prj
Starter

It's hard to believe that somebody collects a paycheck for coaching ST. I am reminded of the old no-blocking punt days when slow footed Canadian kids would (sometimes) catch the ball and fall forward 2 yards in the mud. Today, the rest of the League has exciting, capable people returning kicks and also covering them. The Lions look disorganized and uninspired. Coaching, or the lack thereof.

Asking Travis Lulay to pretend to be one of the Manning boys is just unkind to Travis' skills, which are considerable. Coaching, or the lack thereof.

Asking an under-sized defensive line to play out of natural positions against larger opponents is foolhardy. Coaching, or the lack thereof.

It is hard to believe people paid to watch this kind of nonsense. I'm glad I didn't.

Time for an old-fashioned NFL-cut airlift.

Will you still be watching?
swervynmerv
Legend

40 years as a Lion fan and there have been a lot of ups and downs but this may be the most angry and disapointed I have been in this team in a long, long time. I'm at the point where I don't know if I will even waste my time watching the rest of the season.

Some random thoughts:

1. Wally YOU wear this stink. You were great for our team and helped save our franchise but you are well past your expiry date. You have created a team that has a culture of treating players poorly and playing favorites which has lead to an environment in which no quality FA wants to come. Vancouver should be one of the premier destinations in the CFL for most FA's . Would you want to play and live in Hamilton or Vancouver? All things being equal, Vancouver should win every time, so why are we losing out on these players? Are you as cheap as we hear or is your rep catching up with you?

It is obvious that Wally stills meddles. He protects his "BOYS", that means you Washington and Mc Mann. We draft poorly and take players that are a gamble instead of taking a player that can help our team immeadiately.To make things worse, his penchant for bringing in talent is done. We have no QB of the future, our ST's stink, our receiving core is in the bottom of the league and we have no DE's.

2. Receivers: As I mentioned, our group may be the worst in the league. I've never seen a group that is more over rated than this crew, in particular Manny Arceneaux. Multiple times this year he has quit on a play and in my opinion, is good when things are going his way, but if they aren't, he has poor body language and shows a lack of effort.

AC Leonard, you have to catch that ball when you are in the open, that is just unacceptable. I don't know if it was Leonard or Arceneaux who was the intended receiver on Lulay's INT in the 4th but I would sit both of then down to send a message.

We need to fins a game-breaking receiver with speed. This group doesn't scare anyone in this league.

3. QB: I love Travis, what he has done for this team in his time and the person he is, he is a future Wall of Honor inductee; however, in my opinion, he will never be the same QB as 2011, two major injuries do that and is commendable for him to try and come back, but he is not the answer for this team long term. We need to find a QB or two and develop them to replace Travis, probably sooner than later. John Beck at 30+ years old is not the answer.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The good news is the back-to-back beatdowns the Lions have suffered must send a message to coaching and management that substantial changes need to be made. With the bye week coming up and NFL cuts coming available soon, it's time for a major rebuild. There is time to salvage the season but the Lions can't afford to stand pat.
swervynmerv
Legend

[quote="Toppy Vann"]The issues are not WALLY - other than allowing his HC to cut brown/logan without a look.

CHARACTER - this team is very limited. NO SOLID CORE OF INTENSE, COMMITTED PLAYERS
> it was clear from the get go that the Als targeted Harris. Book out of the east might be to get to him early as well as stop him and you take away the fight in the Offense.

LEADERSHIP - the HC needs to deal with this and not next year. It's time to get angry JT .. you lack character and it's time to address that and challenge this team. Not defend their intensity and lack of perfomance.

We disagree on our opinion of Wally but the above two points you make Toppy are bang on.

Who are our leaders anymore? Travis, Harris, Ryan Philips, Team 100. Should be the type of guys that young guys can follow but are they? Maybe they are guys that lead by example and not vocally.

We don't play with fire and don't intimidate anyone. BC Place used to be a stadium to fear. I'm seeing a receiving core that seldom battles for balls, players that tackle poorly and others that don't have any intensity in their game. Is that coaching or personnel?

At 0-7 the Riders appear to be the worst team in the league, but in reality the Lions could have the same record and right now, record notwithstanding, I think the Leos are the worst team in the CFL right now.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Post game interview with Arceneaux proves my point on character.

Respects NO ONE on the Als DEF!! What a piece of crap that statement is

Burns and Moj ripped the heck of him.

Burns has developed into a top notch analyst. He points out we're too small on the DL...

Great show - better than the game.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Pretty discouraging right now. A 3-5 record actually flatters the overall performance so far this season.

Poor coaching and a lack of game breakers all over the field. The Lions play at a pedestrian pace in all three phases of the game.

Areceneaux is hardly worth $160,000 a season. Quit on that Lulay INT when he as asking for the ball and wouldn't be a No. 1 receiver on any of the other 8 teams. If you were to cut veteran to send a message he would be your guy although sadly there is nothing behind him to take his place.

Wally can't justify to any Lions fan cutting Brown or Logan when both are being replaced by the cement footed Antolin. It's a joke he even took Tillman's spot.

The entertainment value continues to diminish after bold promises from Wally and Skulsky this season would be different. It isn't at all.
Dusty
Champion

Toppy Vann wrote:Post game interview with Arceneaux proves my point on character.

Respects NO ONE on the Als DEF!! What a piece of crap that statement is

Burns and Moj ripped the heck of him.

Burns has developed into a top notch analyst. He points out we're too small on the DL...

Great show - better than the game.
I was listening to that interview as I came through my door ..... Toppy, you nailed my thoughts exactly..... for someone who did not play hard enough to even go for the ball.... even to make it harder for the guy to intercept ... to say things like that about his opponent that beat the crap out of our run game and caused us to have a laughable offensive output..... well it tells me everything I need to know about his character..... what a difference between him and the interview with Foster... of the two, Foster is the type of player I would want on my team....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Foster was desolate and Chris Burns had to jump in and tell him that as long time former CFL Olineman and it's not one person.

_____

I'd like to see Wally do game film with Burns, Farhan, Moj, and Blitz and some other X and ) guys here.
BC 1988
Legend

It was frustrating to watch--it took 3 full quarters before the OFF put some points up.

Even when BC had the lead briefly, you could sense they would be incapable of keeping any kind of momentum.

PA Matt Baker kept trying to belittle ex-Lion Stefan Logan's kick return efforts "stopped for little or no gain" and once "but it didn't matter" when a penalty nullified a big return. I thought it was a bit excessive, since our own kick returners weren't all that impressive.

On the plus side:

Announced attendance was nearly 21,000 so actually higher than TOR and EDM. (Probably the ongoing effects of ST holders cashing in freebies).

There were no major injuries.

For the first time I've seen it, they used a graphic on the video board every time the D came out (which was way too much) TIME TO HUNT...TIME TO EAT depicting a row of hungry looking lions accompanied by some foreboding music.

Great Clips acknowledged quickly at the end of the game that Ryan Phillips finally produced winners in their "defensive TD-free hair cut" promotion. I was going there this weekend anyway. :beauty:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep, I might be inclined to sit Arceneaux or even put in Ianuzzi for Collie. It can hardly get any worse. 6 points from the Offense for an entire game. Montreal isn't that good.

As for the D. Is it my imagination or does it seem that not one single player on the Lions D seems to be able with any consistency to:
a. shed a block
b. shoot a gap
c. wrap up their opposition when making a tackle.

It is unbelievable how the Lions D is getting pushed around and they seem helpless to stop it.
Having said that, they outscored our O tonight so I guess they can be proud of that.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.