RedBlacks 27 - Lions 16 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Getting this started early. Gotta get outside fast after the game.

Stats at 3 quarters. Updates coming.
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 15/24 238 1 1

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
E. ARCENEAUX 6 105 0 50
A. COLLIE 4 56 1 26
A. HARRIS 2 26 0 17
S. GORE 1 29 0 29
B. BURNHAM 1 12 0 12
C. MORRAH 1 10 0 10

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 12 48 0 7
T. LULAY 1 5 0 5

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

R. LEONE
2/2 12 1/1 7

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. LEONE 5 43.4 189 53

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
A. TILLMAN 3 22 7.3 8 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. LEONE 3 200 69 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
S. MURRAY-LAWRENCE 3 72 24.0 29 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
S. ELIMIMIAN 6 1 1 0
J. WESTERMAN 5 1 0 0
A. BIGHILL 5 0 0 0
M. BROOKS 4 0 0 0
T. LEE 4 0 0 0
K. SMITH 3 1 0 1
C. RWABUKAMBA 2 0 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 2 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 2 0 0 0
B. BURNHAM 1 0 0 0
R. YELL 1 0 0 0
E. MRABURE-AJUFO 1 0 0 0
A. BAZZIE 1 0 0 0
C. PARKS 1 0 0 0
B. LOKOMBO 1 0 0 0
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
H. BURRIS 15/20 164 1 1

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
B. SINOPOLI 7 74 1 20
M. PRICE 4 37 0 14
C. WILLIAMS 2 37 0 27
C. WALKER 1 8 0 8
E. JACKSON 1 8 0 8

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
C. WALKER 14 80 0 21
H. BURRIS 5 25 0 13
C. WILLIAMS 1 8 0 8

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
J. GOTT 1 0 0 0
H. BURRIS 1 0 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

D. ALVARADO
2/2 46 1/1 7

Punting NO AVG NET LG
A. ALIX 4 40.8 141 46

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
C. WILLIAMS 3 28 9.3 16 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
A. ALIX 3 184 64 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
J. SANDERS 3 79 26.3 29 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
D. MUNOZ 5 1 0 0
B. THOMPSON 4 0 0 0
J. GAVINS 3 0 1 0
B. MCDONALD 3 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 2 0 0 0
D. HINDS 2 0 0 0
A. KANNEH 2 0 0 0
M. SMITH 1 1 0 0
K. KASHAMA 1 0 0 0
M. PRICE 1 0 0 0
A. MARSHALL 1 0 0 0
K. SHOLOGAN 1 0 0 0
J. CAPICCIOTTI 1 0 0 0
A. PRUNEAU 1 0 0 0
M. JACKSON 1 0 0 0
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Impressions at three quarters.

Tedford is the real deal. Our franchise is in good hands. One can see the structure and planning. He is calm. The team is calm and well organized.

Lulay looks great.

Harris is running hard, but needs some holes. Deja vu all over again, as Yogi would say.

D is somewhat vanilla.

Up tempo looks good.

Ottawa is for real. Wins will be hard-earned this year.

We have hope.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Credit to Ottawa. Credit to Campbell. Burris looks about 27 years old. Former MOP. Former Grey Cup champion.

Oooh ... Jackson scores. Ouch. We made a belated, too low offer to him. Ottawa got him.

I had some doubts about Rick Campbell. Not anymore.

(I like the Canadian Tire ad. LOL Be nice to hit that guy with some water bombs.)

Message to Mark Washington. Playing it safe will not cut it in this league. Throw off the restraints.

Ottawa got some breaks. But the better team makes the breaks.

Chris R covers ground, something JRLaRose just could not do.

Lulay misfiring a lot. To be expected.

I am not particularly disappointed. Realistic expectations. Many changes.

Chalk it up as a loss.

O Line needs much work. Harris stuffed way behind the line on the key short play of the game.

Welcome to the CFL, Jeff Tedford. As noted in other threads, there are many outstanding coaches throughout the league. That is my greatest concern. No easy wins. At least we have coaches that can compete in the Xs and Os game now.

Not time to look for the high cliff. That is for the Riderfans website.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OK. Gotta get outside.

Final stats to be found here ...

http://liveplay.cflcentral.com/LPFiles/ ... board.html

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

First loss to an Ott team since 1996.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Credit to Ottawa. Credit to Campbell. Burris looks about 27 years old. Former MOP. Former Grey Cup champion.

Oooh ... Jackson scores. Ouch. We made a belated, too low offer to him. Ottawa got him.

I had some doubts about Rick Campbell. Not anymore.

(I like the Canadian Tire ad. LOL Be nice to hit that guy with some water bombs.)

Message to Mark Washington. Playing it safe will not cut it in this league. Throw off the restraints.

Ottawa got some breaks. But the better team makes the breaks.

Chris R covers ground, something JRLaRose just could not do.

Lulay misfiring a lot. To be expected.

I am not particularly disappointed. Realistic expectations. Many changes.

Chalk it up as a loss.

O Line needs much work. Harris stuffed way behind the line on the key short play of the game.

Welcome to the CFL, Jeff Tedford. As noted in other threads, there are many outstanding coaches throughout the league. That is my greatest concern. No easy wins. At least we have coaches that can compete in the Xs and Os game now.

Not time to look for the high cliff. That is for the Riderfans website.

My sentiments as well. I didn't expect Tedford to be purrfect this game and I'm not sold on his OFF play calling technique as the edge to the D is too great.

Burris had no trouble with a huddle and the Lions were caught more off guard.

It seems with BC nothing changes with predictability as we give it away with ego arm waving that drives me crazy when the one guy on the field with a receiver in his helmet is all that is needed for 98% of the play calls with the others you can script and signal.

I'm not surprised by the result. Not too disappointed as you want to set the bar with a team and go from there.

The mess up on the clock to give OTT a FG in the first half was brutal. Late in the game maybe a fake by Jennings not a TO might just have worked some magic back in. OFF packages won't work for a season. That will give us a ton of L's when the season gets tough.

Anyone thinking the crossover to the EAST is a way to the GC this year could be in a nasty surprise.

If the MTL QB continues as he played yesterday the East will be tough.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:First loss to an Ott team since 1996.
If it's any consolation, this helps the consecutive sellout string in Ottawa to continue.

And ...Ottawa has the best receiving corps in the league, and a good if not stellar D. ST made less mistakes as well.

RNation elated tonight.
dtrain
Starter

Maybe lions should drap off lower bowl too.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote:Maybe lions should drape off lower bowl too.
The game won't help ticket sales but IF the HC and his team learn the lessons here and make the changes it can be a good year.

BUT some signs suggest that the best hope the Lions have in the West will be the Esks with Reilly hurt, Riders with a new regime there and Durant hurt, and maybe Calgary dialing it down (if that goes on).

Lulay sounds like he understands what needs to be done on offense.

He notes Burnham but I blame the REC for not having that extra burst or laying it out for that toss but the TD to Collie was nice.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Wish I could say I was wrong about this game but sadly, wasn't.

First game of season for sure but some really blown opportunities as well.

kicking game - NEEDS WORK. The most egregious thing I found was the poor clock management at the end of the 2nd half. Gave time for Ottawa to move and score and take the lead into the half. DUMB!

Other missed opportunities. Twice inside the 5 early on and come away with a whopping 6 points. 2 preseason games and 1 reg season and we still have yet to crack 20 on the score board. Not gonna win many games if you can't get more than that regardless of how stellar there rest of the team may play.

Run back for TD - holding
Interception - illegal contact
Many missed opportunities to stop Ottawa on 2nd down due to penalties.
Easy knock down in endzone turns into a TD
Running game pretty inept, no holes for Harris who I thought looked tentative as well
Arceneaux still having difficulty getting separation.
DLine still getting pushed around way too much. Some big running lanes for Ottawa
Far too many penalties of the shoot yourself in the foot variety.
Some very poor tackling.

I'll give em the benefit of a doubt. First game of the season and all but they are going to have to start executing far better than tonight or they are going to have a tough season.

On the bright side - Lulay still standing and looking like he is playing a smarter game.
Collie looks to be reliable.
Looks like we may have someone who can play safety

0-3 including pre-season and not really much of a threat in any of those games. Could be the start of a very bad trend.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
JohnHenry
Champion

Looked like Travis' arm was worn out by the 4th Q, perhaps Jennings could have been inserted for a series? Travis often reverted to his side-arm "flick" pass with accuracy suffering. The Lions weren't able to establish the run...with the OL seeming disjointed.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

15 penalties for 95 yards won't win you many games
CardiacKid
Legend

Well.......
I was surprised we didn't see more aggressive play calling. With everything that is new about the team this year and how last year left such a sour taste in our collective mouths (fans and the team itself), I would have expected the coaching staff to really put their stamp on the game with some creative and aggressive calls. Essentially attempt to "manufacture runs" (like the Buck Rodgers-led St. Louis Cardinals)
Positives in my eyes.....the solid play of Lulay and staying in one piece back in Ottawa. Especially with how Ottawa took out 2 QBs last week. The Manny Show and Austin Collie looked good. Chris Rwabukamba looks to be an upgrade at Safety and lets see more of Shaq Murray-Lawrence on the returns. Leone made his field goals.

Not so hot...penalties but all teams are struggling with that right now. The inability of the defence to impose themselves and in particular some sloppy tackling; Brad Sinopoli is not the kind of guy who should be described as slippery. Anybody have the cell# of Demonte Bolden's agent?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Farhan ripping the Lions on 1040 live now.