Roster Moves - Eight Released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Roster moves from today...

Released from roster: QB Travis Partridge (I),DB Torri Williams (I), DB Derrick Morgan (I), RB Brendan Bigelow (I), OL John Estes (I), OL Kaycee Ike (I), DL Alex King (I), Rec Reggie Jordan (I).

Add to roster: DB Jordan Rwiyamilira

Obviously Partridge is of note...his performance on Friday was far from inspired or inspiring. Bigelow didn't justify the hype. I am surprised to see Williams if only because he wasn't on the roster Friday.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I guess Jonathon Jennings has earned himself a roster spot.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I guess Jonathon Jennings has earned himself a roster spot.
I can only hope that he stays healthy, because anything behind him didn't inspire me for the season. Now if you viewed the Edmonton and Saskatchewan game, the Esks seemingly had a solid stable of QB's in their fold. I would wait to see if one of those shakes free and scoop those leftovers.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blitz
Team Captain

Not surprised by the release of Torri Williams or Partridge, who I believed had lots of potential going into this training camp but he didn't have a good camp and throwing an interception against Calgary, when he had already thrown too many in camp was the last thing he should have done.

Right now, it looks like we are going with an import center and yet the only backup for the position right now is Thorn. I guess Norman could move over if needed.

So I was surprised that we cut Estes.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:
the Esks seemingly had a solid stable of QB's in their fold. I would wait to see if one of those shakes free and scoop those leftovers.
Franklin seemed like a good prospect who probably just locked up a roster spot in Edmonton but are you sure you want to scoop up Justin Goltz when he gets cut Rammer?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Jock Sanders was released by the Stamps. He was initially BC property and played 1 game here in 2011 (in Hamilton) before being scooped up as a FA by the Riders.

He may be 'damaged goods' after his knee injury last year, but worth a look-see. I certainly did not see any dangerous returners among the group that played against Calgary.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:Jock Sanders was released by the Stamps. He was initially BC property and played 1 game here in 2011 (in Hamilton) before being scooped up as a FA by the Riders.

He may be 'damaged goods' after his knee injury last year, but worth a look-see. I certainly did not see any dangerous returners among the group that played against Calgary.

Keola Antolin, when healthy, has the inside track on the KR position and backup running back. I hope we see a lot of Galvin, Lane and Tillman as returners in the Edmonton game. If all else fails, Sanders could be an option.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Rammer wrote:
the Esks seemingly had a solid stable of QB's in their fold. I would wait to see if one of those shakes free and scoop those leftovers.
Franklin seemed like a good prospect who probably just locked up a roster spot in Edmonton but are you sure you want to scoop up Justin Goltz when he gets cut Rammer?
That was more of a frustration of where our QB recruiting is than anything else. Esks look like they have a few prospects ahead of anything the Lions have.

Of note here though is, I don't recall a season on here during the Wally era where posters were actively looking at the cuts of other teams to fill positions on the Lions roster. That says a ton about the recruiting of this years team.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Rammer wrote:That was more of a frustration of where our QB recruiting is than anything else. Esks look like they have a few prospects ahead of anything the Lions have.

Of note here though is, I don't recall a season on here during the Wally era where posters were actively looking at the cuts of other teams to fill positions on the Lions roster. That says a ton about the recruiting of this years team.
Don't overlook that 2 of the 3 "prospects" Edmonton played on Saturday have a combined 9 years of service in the CFL. Soon-to-be 28 year old Justin Goltz is entering his 6th CFL season and already 28 year old Matt Nichols joined the Eskle organization late in the 2010 season. To me that makes 1 prospect and 2 journeyman backups. The Esks I'd consider QB prospects are Franklin who did play and looked decent and Lynch who we haven't seen play but I suspect could suit up at UBC this week.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote: Of note here though is, I don't recall a season on here during the Wally era where posters were actively looking at the cuts of other teams to fill positions on the Lions roster. That says a ton about the recruiting of this years team.
I don't think it's as much a case of poor recruiting Rammer (although I am less than enamored with the competition brought in on the defensive line and at INT RB), as much as too many positions to fill. I believe too many players were thrown overboard in the off-season to reasonably expect all to be filled in one training camp.

That's to be expected with a new Head Coach I suppose, coupled with last year's dreadful finish. But while Eric Taylor wasn't a long term solution, he should have been brought back to camp and held his DT spot until someone beat him out of a job.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I would agree with this insofar as the QB position was concerned. You don't loose two prospects to FA and expansion draft without creating a void in your development program that is difficult to fill.
DLine is another matter. This has been an issue for awhile. 2 seasons IMO and all we have managed to do in that time is keep an aging Eric Taylor (until this season) and try to recycle Khalif Mitchell which was a complete bust in the Defensive Tackle position. As for end, who was the last dominate player we had at that position? I suppose you might argue it was Keron Williams. He was good but not great IMO. Then we have the issue of safety. How long since Baron Myles retired? Since then it has been a revolving door of players who simply haven't gotten the job done. As for Oline, that is a bit harder to define. On the one hand, we have had some personnel who dabbled in the NFL before coming here and have been a bit of a work in progress. Injuries haven't help at times. On the other hand, we have tried to retool players into positions that they weren't comfortable with (Norman at centre), kept players as starters who were perhaps better suited as backups (Valli) and in any event have provided such marginal converage that insurance companies would shudder at providing extra policies for our QB's. How long has this been a problem? Some of these issues are a symptom of recruiting problems.

Now what I see going on this season so far is a fresh set of eyes (Tedford) recognizing that there are several areas of major concern. It would also seem that the guiding principle this season will be to jettison those who are part of those concerns and start fresh. The goal to get working on a total rebuild as soon as possible. No point in having a mediocre season now and many more to come. Burn the house down, and rebuild a championship franchise again over the next 2 or 3 seasons.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
Rammer wrote: Of note here though is, I don't recall a season on here during the Wally era where posters were actively looking at the cuts of other teams to fill positions on the Lions roster. That says a ton about the recruiting of this years team.
I don't think it's as much a case of poor recruiting Rammer (although I am less than enamored with the competition brought in on the defensive line and at INT RB), as much as too many positions to fill. I believe too many players were thrown overboard in the off-season to reasonably expect all to be filled in one training camp.

That's to be expected with a new Head Coach I suppose, coupled with last year's dreadful finish. But while Eric Taylor wasn't a long term solution, he should have been brought back to camp and held his DT spot until someone beat him out of a job.

David, honestly who stood out in that game against the Stamps? Jennings I guess given his experience and the two kickers and one of those two will hopefully remain on the PR at best. The DL and OL didn't show anybody ready to step in, the linebackers were non-existent, and not one RB gave indication that they're CFL calibre. Just a poor recruitment and there isn't any excuse for it IMO. Thankfully we have Harris and Antolin, who are going to be taxed given the load they will be expected to carry.

If I heard correctly the Stamps signed Tim Brown, making two players the Lions cut for not being good enough, making the defending champions roster for TC. Wally hasn't exactly set TEdford up for us to move on from last season.
David
Team Captain

I'm not going to look at one game Rammer, and classify this as a poor recruiting year. While I wasn't blown away by anyone, there were some who stood out:

Jennings, Tillman, Vizzi, Leone (signed late last year) - I know they're very high on Jason Foster at centre as well. I thought Bo Lokombo showed nice sideline-to-sideline speed and a good nose for the football, Monroe came on in the 2nd half. I'd need a bigger sample size of Ricky Galvin, but my larger point is that it's not so much that they didn't recruit well, it's that they discarded too many players and put way too much strain on the organization to find improvements/replacements for those players released.

I believe Taylor and Brown should have been brought back until we were certain a better option existed. When I see an organization like Calgary signing both, it tells you something.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
pennw
Legend

Rammer wrote:

If I heard correctly the Stamps signed Tim Brown, making two players the Lions cut for not being good enough, making the defending champions roster for TC. Wally hasn't exactly set TEdford up for us to move on from last season.
They also have Andre Rammsey who wasn't,t good enough for BC so it,s 3 of our cuts the Stamps have now .