Paul McCallum released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Lowell Ullrich, Paul McCallum's locker has been cleaned out and he has gone home to contemplate whether to retire or be released.
Lions ask McCallum to retire
David
Team Captain

This would normally go under the training camp thread, but given the magnitude of this news; the fact he's a CFL legend, it deserves its own thread.

Per LU tonight CLICK HERE, Paul McCallum is on his way back to Surrey. He was asked by Wally this afternoon to retire, and has cleaned out his locker. He’ll be given some time to determine if he wants to be released so he try to can catch on with another team, or officially hang them up.

It's quite poetic that the Lions held an evening practice today while Paul, literally, rode off into the sunset. He'll be remembered for so many clutch kicks in a Lions uniform. Thanks for everything Paul! :rockin:

EDIT - I've merged the topics, posted at nearly the same time. DH

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dieter
Rookie

Part of being a professional athlete is knowing you might not get to go out on your own terms. No doubt a long, introspective ride home for McCallum. He had a great career and now a place in Lions history. Not a bad deal for a kid from junior football in BC. Enjoy your retirement Paul, well done!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hall of Fame bound. A big part of the Lions' success under Wally Buono.

It is time. After an incredible career. I don't think Paul will be too happy with this. He seemed to think he could go on forever. And he pretty much has.

Best wishes.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

Wow. I've been one of the more vocal people this offseason about us needing better kicking, but this still comes as a surprise with some sadness. Paul was always a class act, and was one of those constants that you thought would always be there. Kinda sad to see it end, especially this way. Something about asking a player to retire just rubs me the wrong way, but he did enjoy a lengthy career, mostly successful. Definitely Hall of Fame bound.

Congrats Paul on a legendary career!
Roar you Lions roar!
Blitz
Team Captain

I consider Paul McCallum the best B.C. Lions field goal kicker ever. He was absolutely clutch, with ice in his veins in the playoffs. He was also a very skilled punter in terms of placement. Passaglia was the better punter overall and could also pull the football down and run or pass out of punt formation.

I wish the Lions had either released McCallum during the off-season so he could try to catch on with another team or given him the opportunity to retire on his own terms. But we didn't have the two excellent kicker candidates we have now during the off-season.

McCallum was hopeful that he could kick field goals for another season while we used another player for kickoffs and punting. But with McCallum's field goal range reduced and with the ability to have one import punt, kick field goals, and perform kickoff-duties, its understandable, especially taking into consideration McCallum's age.

Some highlights of McCallum's career include the longest CFL field goal at 62 yards, kicking 6 field goals out of six in a Grey Cup game. MCCallum also kicked 30 consecutive field goals in a row, and had a season in which he successfully booted 50 out of 53 field goal attempts. In our 2011 Grey Cup winning season McCallum set a Leo record with a 94.5% accuracy. Even last season McCallum led the CFL in field goal percentage, although he attempted fewer field goals at long range.

One has to be impressed with McCallum being able to kick field goals as impressively as he did last season at the age that he is.

Thank you Paul for all your contributions as a B.C. Lion. When you lined up to kick a field goal in the playoffs, there was no one better.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Big Time
Champion

Somewhat mixed feelings here. Proud of Paul and outside of Lui, was the best kicker we ever had. I wish him well in whatever he decides to do.

With that being said, I felt he was at least two years overdue from retiring. The team rarely went for field goals beyond 40 with Paul at the helm the last few years and they were far from automatic. The CFL is a kicking league and this has been a huge area of disadvantage for the Lions the past few years. His placements were good, but his distance was off. You would think there has to be someone out there that is younger and that can perform at least at the same level.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:Wow. I've been one of the more vocal people this offseason about us needing better kicking, but this still comes as a surprise with some sadness. Paul was always a class act, and was one of those constants that you thought would always be there. Kinda sad to see it end, especially this way. Something about asking a player to retire just rubs me the wrong way, but he did enjoy a lengthy career, mostly successful. Definitely Hall of Fame bound.

Congrats Paul on a legendary career!
Being asked to retire never comes across well because it means leaving under somebody else's terms. However there's no doubt that when Buono and McCallum sat down and talked about PM returning this season they would've discussed the very real possibility that this scenario could happen. That wouldn't make it any easier for Buono when the time came nor for McCallum to accept but it's not like McCallum would've been at all blindsided by it. He's been practicing with Leone and Hera for a few days now, long enough to know what they can bring to the BC kicking game. As much as it hurts him personally even he probably would admit moving on with one of the kids, both of whom were under 2 years old when McCallum entered his rookie season, is the right thing for the Lions to do.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:Somewhat mixed feelings here. Proud of Paul and outside of Lui, was the best kicker we ever had. I wish him well in whatever he decides to do.

With that being said, I felt he was at least two years overdue from retiring. The team rarely went for field goals beyond 40 with Paul at the helm the last few years and they were far from automatic. The CFL is a kicking league and this has been a huge area of disadvantage for the Lions the past few years. His placements were good, but his distance was off. You would think there has to be someone out there that is younger and that can perform at least at the same level.
X2
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:I consider Paul McCallum the best B.C. Lions field goal kicker ever. He was absolutely clutch, with ice in his veins in the playoffs. He was also a very skilled punter in terms of placement. Passaglia was the better punter overall and could also pull the football down and run or pass out of punt formation.

I wish the Lions had either released McCallum during the off-season so he could try to catch on with another team or given him the opportunity to retire on his own terms. But we didn't have the two excellent kicker candidates we have now during the off-season.

McCallum was hopeful that he could kick field goals for another season while we used another player for kickoffs and punting. But with McCallum's field goal range reduced and with the ability to have one import punt, kick field goals, and perform kickoff-duties, its understandable, especially taking into consideration McCallum's age.

Some highlights of McCallum's career include the longest CFL field goal at 62 yards, kicking 6 field goals out of six in a Grey Cup game. MCCallum also kicked 30 consecutive field goals in a row, and had a season in which he successfully booted 50 out of 53 field goal attempts. In our 2011 Grey Cup winning season McCallum set a Leo record with a 94.5% accuracy. Even last season McCallum led the CFL in field goal percentage, although he attempted fewer field goals at long range.

One has to be impressed with McCallum being able to kick field goals as impressively as he did last season at the age that he is.

Thank you Paul for all your contributions as a B.C. Lion. When you lined up to kick a field goal in the playoffs, there was no one better.
I echo Blitz's tribute. A fantastic career.

Plenty of warning signs this was coming. Starting with a brand new head coach looking at a 45-year-old who no longer had the range on punts, kickoffs and longer FGs. When Tedford said a couple of days ago he preferred to carry just one kicker to save a roster spot that was a significant hint about McCallum's future.

Again, so glad Tedford is here and is outside the inner circle to continue with the tough decisions and a different vision.
BC 1988
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:I echo Blitz's tribute. A fantastic career.

Plenty of warning signs this was coming. Starting with a brand new head coach looking at a 45-year-old who no longer had the range on punts, kickoffs and longer FGs. When Tedford said a couple of days ago he preferred to carry just one kicker to save a roster spot that was a significant hint about McCallum's future.

Again, so glad Tedford is here and is outside the inner circle to continue with the tough decisions and a different vision.
I agree, this is a new direction for the club. Once it was clear McCallum couldn't consistently kick from distance, it was only a matter of time.
I have to wonder how much more patience they will have with Travis Lulay's rehab. I expect we will get an announcement "asked to retire, offered a coaching position" eventually. (I am of the opinion that was what should have happened at the end of last season.)
dupsdell1
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:I echo Blitz's tribute. A fantastic career.

I agree, this is a new direction for the club. Once it was clear McCallum couldn't consistently kick from distance, it was only a matter of time.
I have to wonder how much more patience they will have with Travis Lulay's rehab. I expect we will get an announcement "asked to retire, offered a coaching position" eventually. (I am of the opinion that was what should have happened at the end of last season.)

Lions should have released him 2 years ago. but next to Lou he is the best kicker we ever had.
David
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:I agree, this is a new direction for the club. Once it was clear McCallum couldn't consistently kick from distance, it was only a matter of time.
Respectfully disagree, BC 1988 (depending on your definition of 'eventually'). If you mean 'eventually' end of camp, no. If you mean 'eventually' this season, I'm not so sure. I believe Tedford and Cortez realize that Travis L, even with a 'fragile' shoulder, still gives us the best shot of winning. To that end, they're going to do everything and give him every shot to be the QB under centre in 2015. Next year is anyone's guess. I view Lulay and McCallum as completely separate. Lulay is still a meal ticket and the obvious leader of this team. Tedford probably looked at Paul's age, body fat index (he's big on well conditioned athletes - yes, even kickers), his lack of versatility and decided he wanted to go in another direction.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:I agree, this is a new direction for the club. Once it was clear McCallum couldn't consistently kick from distance, it was only a matter of time.
Respectfully disagree, BC 1988 (depending on your definition of 'eventually'). If you mean 'eventually' end of camp, no. If you mean 'eventually' this season, I'm not so sure. I believe Tedford and Cortez realize that Travis L, even with a 'fragile' shoulder, still gives us the best shot of winning. To that end, they're going to do everything and give him every shot to be the QB under centre in 2015. Next year is anyone's guess. I view Lulay and McCallum as completely separate. Lulay is still a meal ticket and the obvious leader of this team. Tedford probably looked at Paul's age, body fat index (he's big on well conditioned athletes - yes, even kickers), his lack of versatility and decided he wanted to go in another direction.

I meant "eventually this season"--if Travis L ends up unable to start long into the season or suffers another setback while attempting to start.
I agree, they are giving him every chance now, and will continue to right into the start of the regular season. There may be a time limit beyond that, though.
CardiacKid
Legend

My thoughts after my immediate reaction of "that sucks" (Paul is one of my favourites and I wish he could have gone under his terms and yes, I totally agree you can't hide the fact his leg strength has dissipated) but what of the ratio?

I hope to hell we are NOT going to be using 2 yankee kickers...if that occurs then I can't help but feel that management has truly misjudged how to remedy this inevitable transition and its impact on national vs. international. Which is of course, compounded with Steward out. Wally was quoted as saying the draft is a crapshoot but taking Boyko over a more realistic choice of future CFL lineman is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

What's it going to take to get Sean Whyte back in a Lion's uniform?