Lions Add Another Arm

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Jonathon Jennings from Saginaw Valley State.

http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-ad ... to-the-den
squishy35
Legend

Liking the Highlight video..... very mobile..... accurate arm.
Rammer
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote:Liking the Highlight video..... very mobile..... accurate arm.
Keeping in mind that it was just that a highlight reel, he looks like an ideal QB for the CFL. I only saw one throw of over 40 yards, but whether it was in the pocket, running left or right, he could find the receiver open with great accuracy. I am suprised that the Riders took a look and didn't bite on him.
Entertainment value = an all time low
squishy35
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Keeping in mind that it was just that a highlight reel, he looks like an ideal QB for the CFL. I only saw one throw of over 40 yards, but whether it was in the pocket, running left or right, he could find the receiver open with great accuracy. I am suprised that the Riders took a look and didn't bite on him.
Cerebral guy too... made academic honor roll in college:
http://athletics.svsu.edu/sports/fball/ ... athon_d8bb
Rammer
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Cerebral guy too... made academic honor roll in college:
http://athletics.svsu.edu/sports/fball/ ... athon_d8bb
A rare combination for a QB that is nomad last year.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Big Time
Champion

All these arms being brought in tells me that there's going to be a pretty open competition this year for QB, and that includes Lulay. Doesn't sound like the Lions are particularly confident about Lulay's ability to come back. You really have to wonder what Tedford is saying to these young guns to get them to come over and try out for the Lions. Seems like he's selling them on the fact that there's at least two open back up spots, and possibly even a starter's job for the taking.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:All these arms being brought in tells me that there's going to be a pretty open competition this year for QB, and that includes Lulay. Doesn't sound like the Lions are particularly confident about Lulay's ability to come back. You really have to wonder what Tedford is saying to these young guns to get them to come over and try out for the Lions. Seems like he's selling them on the fact that there's at least two open back up spots, and possibly even a starter's job for the taking.
None of these QBs are CFL starters nor are any close but you are right about one thing - Tedford has to be very wary of Lulay's ability to survive even a game given what took place last year.

I think Jennings in college looks great and who knows - if he comes in and shows them something maybe he might be able to be brought along slowly (if they have the spot).

11 seconds at Lions camp:

I read that with the Chiefs mini-camp he struggled with accuracy with 11 on 11. In the CFL these DBs aren't exactly going to let him toss a successful pass into a guy surrounded by 4 defenders like he had in college. He looks very good but in the pros they give these guys such a short time and it's do or die for them and often their careers. I don't forget that Buck Pierce ONLY stuck in BC as came into that 2005 first pre-season game when Jarius went out on the first offensive play of the season and the starter get banged up a bit. He came in and took it from a sure L in Regina to a W.
Other signal callers. Aaron Murray wasn’t the only rookie quarterback on the field, as Jonathan Jennings of Saginaw State and Terrance Owens of Toledo were invited for tryouts.

Jennings has a strong arm, but at times struggled with accuracy during 11-on-11 drills. Owens, a southpaw, also has a nice arm, but has a long winding motion before releasing the ball.
Both face a steep challenge when considering the Chiefs already have Alex Smith, Chase Daniel, Tyler Bray and Murray.

An interview with the guy here:

It was a different era and the QBs coach was Kruck and this extra pair of hands and eyes worked with the 4 QBs (although for Jarius that was a lost year pretty much).

http://www.chiefsdigest.com/observation ... -minicamp/

We're not yet sure of Tedford's view of bringing on talent and again the Lions have returning QBs coming back so he might favour them.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:All these arms being brought in tells me that there's going to be a pretty open competition this year for QB, and that includes Lulay. Doesn't sound like the Lions are particularly confident about Lulay's ability to come back. You really have to wonder what Tedford is saying to these young guns to get them to come over and try out for the Lions. Seems like he's selling them on the fact that there's at least two open back up spots, and possibly even a starter's job for the taking.
That is really always the case though. If the recruiters told players "we'd like you to come but there is no chance you make the team", they wouldn't have many takers. Most coaches would say that any position is up for grabs even that of starting pivot if the right person comes along. I suspect that what we are seeing is players that Tedford has been aware of for some time. It is really exciting to see the fresh perspective on possible talent. Many may not work out but I believe that somewhere in there will be a couple of gems. The cupboard has been pretty bare in the QB dept since the expansion draft and even if Travis was in purrfect health, I suspect that we would be seeing quite a few QB prospects anyway. We need to find the next talent and start grooming him.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
That is really always the case though. If the recruiters told players "we'd like you to come but there is no chance you make the team", they wouldn't have many takers. Most coaches would say that any position is up for grabs even that of starting pivot if the right person comes along. I suspect that what we are seeing is players that Tedford has been aware of for some time. It is really exciting to see the fresh perspective on possible talent. Many may not work out but I believe that somewhere in there will be a couple of gems. The cupboard has been pretty bare in the QB dept since the expansion draft and even if Travis was in purrfect health, I suspect that we would be seeing quite a few QB prospects anyway. We need to find the next talent and start grooming him.
Agreed. If Travis is a write-off this season, the Lions might not be able to find a QB with CFL experience as easily like they did last season with Glenn. With the throwing camp on Apr 27-29 coming up, they have to be paying attention to the closing window to land a QB. Glenn was acquired May 13th by trade during the CFL Draft. Wally is on record (as of Mar 31) as saying he won't require Travis to take part in the camp if he's not ready.
http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/1328 ... ming-camp/
Qman
Champion

BC 1988 wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Agreed. If Travis is a write-off this season, the Lions might not be able to find a QB with CFL experience as easily like they did last season with Glenn. With the throwing camp on Apr 27-29 coming up, they have to be paying attention to the closing window to land a QB. Glenn was acquired May 13th by trade during the CFL Draft. Wally is on record (as of Mar 31) as saying he won't require Travis to take part in the camp if he's not ready.
http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/1328 ... ming-camp/
Like who would they acquire? not a wish list but who's likely available. its not a long list

They are going with beck and partridge/rodgers. Both were basically even with glenn by the end of last year, with some upside.
BC 1988
Legend

Qman wrote:Like who would they acquire? not a wish list but who's likely available. its not a long list

They are going with beck and partridge/rodgers. Both were basically even with glenn by the end of last year, with some upside.
No FA's are left that are worth any more than Partridge. In terms of QB's with at least some game experience, SSK has quite a stockpile (including Glenn and Sunseri). So does MTL with Crompton, Marsh, and LeFevour. (though I wonder if he's actually recovered from his surgery yet).
JohnHenry
Champion

If Travis Lulay is healthy, he's the best QB in the CFL, so he'd be our starter. If Travis isn't ready to play by the start of the season, then the Lions should probably go with a young QB. Here's my QB depth chart:

1. Travis Lulay......6.02 216 1983-09-27 - 6 yrs CFL experience
2. Travis Partridge 6.04 230 1990-09-22 - 1 yr
3. Greg McGhee....6.03 208 1992-11-22 - Rookie
4. John Beck........6.02 215 1981-08-21 - 1 yr
5. Jordan Rogers...6.01 212 1988-04-30 - .5 yr
6. Jon Jennings....6.00 195 1992-07-21 - Rookie

Another option might be to trade for a QB, like last season. I guess if Ricky Ray was available (who was essentially traded for Steven Jyles by Edm), the Lions should be interested if Travis was unable to play.

The Riders might part with Tino Sunseri who could be the best young QB prospect in the league.

Sometimes a highly-touted young QB like Greg McGhee might just click and become a winning QB as a rookie. McGhee, who'll turn 23 late this season, would be the same age as Casey Printers in 2004. Printers, in his 2nd CFL season became the Lions starter at Game 4 and went on to pass for 5,088 yds, 66% completion ratio, 35 Td's, 10 Int's and rushed for another 9 Td's, named the league's Most Outstanding Player.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Everything I've heard from Tedford and Buono this offseason suggests they plan to go young and develop new quarterbacks this year. That suggests to me that there is no future for John Beck. If Lulay can't start the season or suffers a relapse, I fully expect to see Partridge or another young prospect elevated to the starter's role, and I'm OK with that
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Actually, I can see Beck as number 2 this season because of his age. If we are going to struggle and Lulay isn't good to play then it would probably be better to use Beck than throw a young, inexperienced QB to the wolves with little to gain as a result. No I would keep the most veteran guy in at the 2 spot and make sure to give the new guys some time behind center in order to bring them along slow but steady.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Qman
Champion

i see beck as the #2.
But its fill or kill with him this year, he has to produce this year or he's toast (given his age) ... for him development time is over!