John Barrow, 1935-2015

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/ticats-legend-barrow- ... 9-1.210275
Ticats legend Barrow passes away at 79

For 10 seasons, John Barrow and Angelo Mosca embodied Hamilton's blue-collar work ethic with their rugged, physical play as linemen with the Tiger-Cats.

But Mosca would also get under Barrow's skin by being too aggressive. One of the most controversial plays of Mosca's 15-year career came in the 1963 Grey Cup when he hit BC running back Willie Fleming out of bounds, completely overshadowing the Ticats' 21-10 victory.

"I think I drove John wacky at times because sometimes I played beyond the means," Mosca told The Canadian Press in a telephone interview Wednesday.

Barrow died Tuesday at the age of 79. The Ticats said Wednesday the cause of death wasn't immediately known.

Mosca said his edgy play would prompt Barrow to pull his teammate aside.

"He did but I told John, 'You play your game and I'll play mine,'" Mosca said. "There was no sugarcoating with our defence.

"That's the way we played and that's the way we gave it to you."

"It is a very sad day because a piece of the team has gone," Mosca said. "John played very physical, the way I played.

"I had the pleasure to play alongside John for 10 years, in which we worked hard, played physical and accomplished great things. John was a friend, he was a pretty fair guy."

The six-foot-two, 255-pound Barrow enjoyed a stellar 14-year career with Hamilton (1957-70). He helped the Ticats win four Grey Cups and earned CFL all-star honours on 11 occasions. Six times the two-way player was the East Division nominee for the league's top lineman award, winning in 1962.

The native of Delray Beach, Fla., was also named the CFL Lineman of the Century in 1967.

"One of the top players in the storied history of our league, John Barrow's accomplishments are something today's players can aspire to," CFL chairman Jim Lawson said in a statement. "His record is something fans from any era can marvel at, and his image is something those of us lucky enough to see him play will never forget.

"All of us at the Canadian Football League join his family, friends and former teammates in mourning his passing."

Barrow played in nine Grey Cup games with Hamilton. Mosca also appeared in nine CFL title games but eight were with the Ticats as in 1960 Mosca helped the Ottawa Rough Riders emerge victorious.

"John was quite a leader and teammate," said Mosca. "His voice in the locker-room was well respected while his play on the field was very tough."

Something Mosca learned first-hand playing against Barrow while with Ottawa (1960-'61) and Montreal (1962). Mosca returned to Hamilton in '63 and remained there until retiring following the Ticats' '72 championship season.

"John was tough," Mosca said. "He was very physical."

Barrow was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1976 and added to the Ticats Wall of Honour in 2001. Five years later he was voted No. 17 in a poll by TSN of the CFL's top-50 players and in 2012 was named to the All-Time Tiger-Cats squad.

Barrow played collegiately at the University of Florida, earning first-team All-American and All-SEC honours as a senior. He was a fifth-round pick of the Detroit Lions in the 1957 NFL draft but came to Canada instead.

Barrow retired in 1970, then served as the GM of the arch-rival Toronto Argonauts from 1971 to '75. The club reached the Grey Cup game in Barrow' first season but lost a heart-breaking 14-11 decision to Calgary after the Stampeders recovered Leon McQuay's late fumble.

During Barrow's tenure, Toronto signed such players as McQuay, kicker Zenon Andrusyshyn, defensive lineman Jim Stillwagon and quarterback Joe Theismann. The Argos also claimed tight end Peter Muller (1973) and defensive back Larry Uteck (1974) as territorial exemptions.

But according to former Argo Mel Profit, Barrow wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy in his first meeting with the '71 squad.

"John opened by stating he felt he was in a position to bridge the gap that had existed between management and the players," Profit wrote in his book For Love, Money and Future Considerations. "In the next breath he told us that, inasmuch as we represented the city of Toronto, we had an obligation to present a 'respectable appearance' and since he didn't feel long hair was respectable, those present would have to get haircuts.

"He quickly assured us, though, the fact he wore a crew-cut had nothing to do with his decision. I sat there thinking: 'This is 1971, this is a group of relatively intelligent people and this isn't really happening. It was. A few minutes later he categorized everyone as a bunch of 'overpaid losers.' After that, I kind of lost interest in our new leader."
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

One of the CFL greats. Barrow was an anchor on the Ti-Cats defence in the 60's.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Barrow was such an astute player that although he was a DT he was the D's signal caller.

It was not widely known but in the 60's the LA Rams wanted Barrow to play middle linebacker behind the Fearsome Foursome: Deacon Jones, Rosey Grier, Lamar Lundy and Merlin Olsen. Barrow declined because at the time the difference in salary between NFL-CFL was not that great and Barrow had a sucessful steak house in Hamilton, had become a Canadian citizen (and was playing as a non import).

Barrow was one of the greatest lineman to ever play in the CFL and was rightfully the first lineman chosen in TSN's 50 Grestest CFLers.
Dusty
Champion

I remember hearing (we had no TV) about John Barrow and even had his card (remember when the CFL had player cards?) as the TiCat's were my favourite Eastern team..... that was BM (before Mosca) that is....
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Image Image
Wear orange or wear nothing
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Great player and grating GM - so they say.

Barrow was as well known as an OL (more than def) in those days as tackles Murphy and Jimenez became in their day. It was an era where the best of the CFL could play in the NFL if they chose.

Joe Theismann suggested at the reunion of the 71 (?) team that it was Barrow as GM who made him move to the NFL as he was too tight fisted with a dollar.

A team mate from those day says Joe had a plan that was always tracking to the pinnacle for him - home to the NFL.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I wore John Barrow's #61 game worn jersey to the 2014 GC. Barrow last wore the jersey in the 1965 GC.