Kevin Glenn signs with the Riders

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good for Kevin Glenn.

All he did was suit up for us last year, and keep our heads above water. A true pro. Underappreciated throughout his career, and it was no different here.

Well he has some fans, including me.

We did not give him enough support last year.

Earlier, I was disappointed that we let our QB roster dwindle to the point where we felt we had to give up a 1st round pick for Glenn. What was it called, "the trade of the century"?

And once we had him here, we then let him go for nothing.

Disappointment with Glenn by some fans can be expected. Disappointment by the staff is a head shaker. Perhaps we naively expected him to perform as he had in Calgary. That was not going to happen.

We might as well have gone with the youngsters last year. We have done that before, with Casey Printers, with Buck Pierce. Beck and Partridge showed fairly well in their limited playing time.

In any case, best wishes to Kevin Glenn wherever he ends up. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Alouettes might be a good destination. Solid O Line. They know how to protect a quarterback, it seems to me. Glenn has a pretty quick release. Not fast enough to save him from a few avalanches last year with us, however. LOL But he hangs in there, and is remarkably durable. And, given time, he can shoot the lights out.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Calgary has no need for him but it's definitely not because the coaches there think like BC did.

He needs a very specific offense to be successful where the team can run at will (And Will isn't a DT on a team you just see a few times a year) - something that Calgary mostly provided for him.

As to BC getting nothing - I doubt you can get anything for QBs in this league as there are too few people and they know they just have to wait you out.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I am grateful for the effort KG put in and of course his struggles here weren't entirely his fault. Am I glad he is not coming back? A resounding yes. He was never going to be any better than he was last year for us and frankly that just wasn't good enough. His passes were oft inaccurate. He was often too slow to release the ball even when the play was breaking down (throw it away man, throw it away). He just isn't starting material long term even on a good team. He is good for a game here and there but full time, not anymore.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Won't miss Glenn in a Lions' uniform. As SP has noted, too many times getting sacked instead of just throwing it away.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:I am grateful for the effort KG put in and of course his struggles here weren't entirely his fault. Am I glad he is not coming back? A resounding yes. He was never going to be any better than he was last year for us and frankly that just wasn't good enough. His passes were oft inaccurate. He was often too slow to release the ball even when the play was breaking down (throw it away man, throw it away). He just isn't starting material long term even on a good team. He is good for a game here and there but full time, not anymore.
Yep, that is Glenn in a nutshell. Good enough to win you some off of the bench, bad enough not to count on him. It would suit Montreal the best IMO, they could use the experience behind a young starter.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Some reports in Winnipeg suggest they have re-signed Brohm
The_Pauser
Legend

When the Lions went with Printers they didn't go with him as the immediate starter. He won the job from Spurgeon Wynn who had been our backup for a couple years. Also I believe Pierce had been with us for a year or two before we handed the reigns to him. Completely different from just handing the keys to CFL rookies Beck or Partridge.

What we should have done was get these guys more reps last year. Glenn was adequate, but he didn't really win us many games. He did, however, cost us many games with some very poor interceptions. At times his decision making rivaled that of a rookie. He's a nice guy and a good veteran presence, but he just wasn't good enough to get the job done. A common theme throughout his career that has held him back from being the go-to guy for any team.
Roar you Lions roar!
Blitz
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:Calgary has no need for him but it's definitely not because the coaches there think like BC did.

He needs a very specific offense to be successful where the team can run at will (And Will isn't a DT on a team you just see a few times a year) - something that Calgary mostly provided for him.

As to BC getting nothing - I doubt you can get anything for QBs in this league as there are too few people and they know they just have to wait you out.
:thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Maybe if Kevin Glenn becomes a starter in another franchise and returns to his Stampeder form critics of his play in BC will be back asking if Glenn was the problem in BC or was it the offense itself and the play of the people and the coaching!!!

It is clear why the Lions don't want him but I think they didn't treat him like the Stamps did - coaches or players - and therein might be something we fans might not ever hear about other than obliquely in the Glenn remarks along the lines of it was never his team. I cant' recall his exact words.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I like him and appreciate his efforts here.

But he can't throw outside the hashes with any degree of consistency any more.

That said, if he's going to keep playing, he's best suited for Montreal. Would probably do a lot of good there.
aklawitter
All Star

Toppy Vann wrote:As to BC getting nothing - I doubt you can get anything for QBs in this league as there are too few people and they know they just have to wait you out.
Unless you're an expansion team that can afford to bury a disgruntled QB so other teams can't get him without paying a steep price.
Big Time
Champion

I've never really understood the criticism Glenn has taken from some fans in BC. Glenn came in and played EXACTLY as he was advertised. He's a good back up, an occasional starter who has the occasional great game followed by the occasional poor game. As a back up who does spot starting duty, he can be really effective. When the Lions were forced to play him as a starter for the entire year, they got exactly what they should have expected. Glenn made some great plays. However many of those great plays were extremely risky throws that receivers made some great catches on. He also made some very poor decisions that cost the Lions dearly. The difference between a great play or a poor decision? It often comes down to execution. Just ask Russell Wilson.

To me, the problem with Glenn was the level of expectation some people seemed to have for him. Sure he was the Lions starter but that doesn't make him starting QB material. He was put into that role by being the healthiest guy left standing. Expecting him to have done any better given the coaching (the OC and HC were horrible), not to mention his overall lack of mobility and average decision making, was ludicrous.

Glenn will be fine as long as he's not relied upon to be the starter. I wish him well, he did his job, he tries his best, and it's time to move on.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.cfl.ca/article/fa15-kevin-gl ... riderville
FA15: Kevin Glenn Heading Back to Riderville

Posted: February 19, 2015 03:00 PM

Updated: February 19, 2015 03:15 PM

CFL.ca Staff

REGINA -- The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced today international free agent quarterback Kevin Glenn has signed with the team. As per club policy, details of the contract were not released.

Glenn joins the Riders for the second time in his career ahead of what will be his 15th season. The Illinois State product originally entered the CFL with the Green and White in 2001, spending three seasons in Saskatchewan.

Last season, Glenn started 17 regular season games for the B.C. Lions completing 302 of 479 pass attempts (63.0%). He finished second in the league with 3,918 passing yards and third in touchdown passes with 17. He also added 16 carries for 105 yards and a touchdown.

The 35-year-old Michigan native sits 8th all-time among CFL quarterbacks with 43,336 career passing yards. His 238 career touchdown passes rank 10th all-time. In addition to the Riders Glenn has also spent time with Winnipeg (2004-08), Hamilton (2009-11), Calgary (2012-13) and B.C. (2014) through his 222 career games played.

The Riders also announced today they have signed national free agent offensive lineman Gord Hinse.

Hinse is a six year CFL veteran. The University of Alberta product was selected by his hometown Edmonton Eskimos in the 2nd round (11th overall) of the 2009 Canadian Draft. He spent his first five seasons in Edmonton before joining the Winnipeg Blue Bombers for 2014.

The 27-year-old has played 52 career regular seasons games spending time at both centre and guard.
Last season, Glenn started 17 regular season games for the B.C. Lions completing 302 of 479 pass attempts (63.0%). He finished second in the league with 3,918 passing yards and third in touchdown passes with 17. He also added 16 carries for 105 yards and a touchdown.
While being swarmed. 3918 yards, 63% completion percentage, despite the lack of support given to him, despite the porous pass protection, despite the horrible offensive system last year.

I have nothing but respect for Kevin Glenn. After his playing career winds down, I hope he finds a new career in the CFL as a coach.

Here is Glenn demonstrating the "impossible" one steamboat read and release, just prior to the tsunami. LOL

BTW, it would be amazing if Glenn played a major role this year in Regina, along with JC and Dan D. Such is life in a "small" league, with only 9 teams.

BTW, luv the orange and black. :thup:

Rammer
Team Captain

Dumb choice for Glenn IMO, Montreal was the better team with a consistant OL. Riders are losing two OL and they weren't all that good last season as it was. He must be getting better money, because if he gets into game action, he will be wanting some compensation.
Entertainment value = an all time low