Ernest Jackson Gone...#*+%!#

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

This pisses me off.....one of the few bright spots on offense and he is gone. I don't blame him for going to greener pastures but why the hell keep him on the practice roster for a few years only to see him blossom for another team?

We desperately needed a long threat last to go with Manny and he gave us that. So what does the team do? Sayonara Ernest.... Nick Moore finally becomes the receiver the team obviously thought he could become after a bevy of brain-farts and dropsies only to see him go. This pattern is disturbing.

I hope there is a plan afoot for Tunei or Burnham to take Jackson's role. Otherwise I pray the Lions are making a play for Ellingson or leaving cap rom for LeFevour.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Ellingson is hardly a deep threat IMO
aklawitter
All Star

270k/2yr? No thanks
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:270k/2yr? No thanks
Ottawa has Luxury Tax space to spare...and has Ernest Jackson to help fill it.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I love Jackson's hands but he didn't have a starting position on the team so he's not a big loss. He was an injury replacement for Arceneaux and Taylor inside last year. They're both expected back, as are Tuinei and Burnham, who filled the same roles when the injuries piled up late in the year. Jackson also started some games at short-side wide receiver but ratio issues dictated that the spot go to Poblah. Ottawa is willing to pay starter's money to a receiver who started an average of just under 9 games a year in his three years as a Lion.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:I love Jackson's hands but he didn't have a starting position on the team so he's not a big loss. He was an injury replacement for Arceneaux and Taylor inside last year. They're both expected back, as are Tuinei and Burnham, who filled the same roles when the injuries piled up late in the year. Jackson also started some games at short-side wide receiver but ratio issues dictated that the spot go to Poblah. Ottawa is willing to pay starter's money to a receiver who started an average of just under 9 games a year in his three years as a Lion.
I don't think that you can dismiss it quite that easily B.C.FAN, Jackson was a viable part of the offense at the end of last season. He also fell to some injuries that would be my biggest concern if I was Ottawa. One thing with Ernest Jackson, he was either on fire or looking like he just did an ALR spot.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Like Moore, who we ended up not missing, Jackson wasn't worth the money Ottawa offered him.

Plus, he went to Ottawa. It's not like we'll see him again in the playoffs anyway.

We'll be fine at receiver. Save the swearing for the defensive line.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cromartie wrote:Like Moore, who we ended up not missing, Jackson wasn't worth the money Ottawa offered him.

Plus, he went to Ottawa. It's not like we'll see him again in the playoffs anyway.

We'll be fine at receiver. Save the swearing for the defensive line.
I look at that differently. Jackson may not be worth $135K to BC given there is no guarantee there is a starting spot for him here what with the logjam at slot where he was most impactful. Arceneaux is a lock to start. Taylor is the another incumbent not to mention Burnham, who got the first nod ahead of Jackson to fill in at slot last year, and Tuinei who are both 4 years younger. Austin Collie's strengths seem to point to him being more suited to slot also. Those things all point to Jackson moving back outside had he remained in BC. The receiver-challenged REDBLACKS can easily pencil him in as one of their starting slotbacks. From what we saw last year when he got to play slot he could turn $135K into a pretty good deal for Ottawa. He has to look pretty damned good compared to the many other former Lions Ottawa tried last year including Matt Carter, Kierrie Johnson, Dobson Collins and aging Paris Jackson.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Matt Carter, Kierrie Johnson, Dobson Collins and aging Paris Jackson.
PJ gets a pass because he was a terrific player in his prime. Johnson had his moments.....but those other two? :puke:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:PJ gets a pass because he was a terrific player in his prime. Johnson had his moments.....but those other two? :puke:
Johnson is still a Redblack. He's quicker and shiftier than anyone on their roster (although Price may have as much straight-ahead speed) but that lineup is getting awfully crowded. I would welcome KJ back in black and orange. The Lions don't have a speedster to open holes underneath.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
cromartie wrote: Those things all point to Jackson moving back outside had he remained in BC.
I don't doubt he'll do well in the slot in Ottawa.

However, you'll note we don't exactly have the QB to make great use of the outside receiver. In last year's offense, the outside receiver may as well have been on the side of a milk carton. I mean, they stuck Ianuzzi outside for FSM's sake.

Point being, I can't see the Lions justifying using that kind of cap money on an outside receiver.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cromartie wrote:
Hambone wrote:
cromartie wrote: Those things all point to Jackson moving back outside had he remained in BC.
I don't doubt he'll do well in the slot in Ottawa.

However, you'll note we don't exactly have the QB to make great use of the outside receiver. In last year's offense, the outside receiver may as well have been on the side of a milk carton. I mean, they stuck Ianuzzi outside for FSM's sake.

Point being, I can't see the Lions justifying using that kind of cap money on an outside receiver.
Totally agree Cro. $135K is arguably a decent value for Jackson to be starting SB in Ottawa but it isn't a good deal to employ him in BC. Whether it's inside or outside you can't justify offering that sort of money if you aren't writing his name in as a starter on the depth chart before camp even opens. While it's likely he'd have to move back outside given the logjam at slot who knows if the ratio will allow for a INT starter outside. As much as I would've liked to see him back I long ago accepted it would be a longshot simply because BC couldn't guarantee starter money and a starting position but there would be somebody out there who would.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:PJ gets a pass because he was a terrific player in his prime. Johnson had his moments.....but those other two? :puke:
Johnson is still a Redblack. He's quicker and shiftier than anyone on their roster (although Price may have as much straight-ahead speed) but that lineup is getting awfully crowded. I would welcome KJ back in black and orange. The Lions don't have a speedster to open holes underneath.
Which may come as a surprise to Eskimo fans :wink:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You know, I try to be an Arceneaux fan. I'm just not sure I have really seen enough from him over the years to justify the prime billing he seems to get. Oft injured, rarely gets separation and hands are okay. I wouldn't call him sticky or anything like that. So what is it? He makes the occasional big play, he is a tall target but I thought we got much more from Jackson last season in spot duty than we did from Arceneaux. So why is Arceneaux a forgone conclusion as starter? I might have been inclined to try and keep Jackson and set Mannie free instead. I thought he provided better return. Is it just me and everybody else is seeing something I don't?
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
JohnHenry
Champion

Mannie is a excellent receiver with the ability to go up and get the ball in traffic, having legitimate 4.5 speed. He hasn't been thrown to that much, being injured and the couple of wasted years in the NFL, which hindered his development a bit. I think he more effective as the outside sprinter to open up the field rather than the "go-to" guy inside.

E. Jackson was a bit of a spare part in B.C, averaging fewer than 3 catches per game in his first 10 games last year. There were some games it seemed he was rarely thrown to.

With the possible addition of A. Collie to the lineup, the Lions could go with only 2 import receivers especially if they use an import at safety.