Tedford finalizes staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

As expected, George Cortez and Doug Malone replace Khari Jones (receivers coach) and Dan Dorazio respectively, but Tedford is also bringing in Robin Ross to coach the D-line and former CFL DB Willie Fields to be in charge of the defensive backfield. Quinn Tedford will be the offensive quality control coach, as reported earlier.

DETAILS HERE.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

So Chuck McMann adds running backs and Canadian scouting to his duties as special teams coordinator, effectively taking on the workload of two people. (Kelly Bates handled running backs and Canadian scouting in recent years.) I wish him luck. He's going to need it.
squishy35
Legend

I am looking forward to this change in staff and philosophy. Cortez is a seasoned veteran offensive mind who can provide a good learning base for a young offence. :cr:
Rammer
Team Captain

More business like approach I think with Cortez as the OC. Funny how as fans we wanted to see more of an outside influence on the O side of the ball and we received that. However, the appointment of Cortez was predicted with his Tedford connection, and then to see Ross and Quinn Tedford given a position, you have to wonder if it isn't all happening over again right out of the gate. I guess as long as there is positive results, everything will be alright.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Dusty
Champion

squishy35 wrote:I am looking forward to this change in staff and philosophy. Cortez is a seasoned veteran offensive mind who can provide a good learning base for a young offence. :cr:
I'm hoping for a change in the defensive line philosophy from containment and 'streaming' the runners into the linebackers to a more aggressive and attacking D-Line which brings pressure. Of course, we have to have /get the horses to do that but hopefully the DC has learned from last year and the new D-Line coach can bring the schemes. I assume that Washington is DB coach as well and is assisted by Fields?

Still concerned about special team philosophy and coaching. Seems like Cortez and Malone were a package and will bring and Malone brings experience to OL coaching. It will be interesting to see if our draft knowledge and selections will suffer from departure of Bates.

Lets get started!!!!
D.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Agree with Dusty about the special teams. Was hoping for a change there. Guess we'll wait and see.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Looking over the career blurbs, they look fully qualified. Chuck McMann did not seem to have much success with our STs. Hopefully Tedford looked at the film, as I am sure he did.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
leo4life
All Star

Everything looks ok on paper but would like to have seen a change with ST coaching.Also Washington will need to be more agressive like he talked about but maybe Benny told him to run that soft zone D.Glad to see a Oline coaching change finally but too bad Bates got pushed out.New DLine and assitant DB coach bring loads of experience.Jones as WR coach?!?
David
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:However, the appointment of Cortez was predicted with his Tedford connection, and then to see Ross and Quinn Tedford given a position, you have to wonder if it isn't all happening over again right out of the gate.
If what you're hinting at is a repeat of the 'ole boys club approach to hiring that we've seen with Wally, in my experience, few assistant hires by the HC are from left field. Or put another way, there is invariably some familiarity of the assistant by the HC. The fact that Tedford has taken 4 coaches from the previous regime is a good sign that he's not one of these guys who comes in thinking he knows everything and that his guys would be better.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Got some major experience with the new staff ...

George Cortez. 1979 ---> O Line, OC, QBs, HC

Doug Malone. 1983 ---> OC, HC, OL

Robin Ross. 1977 ---> Started coaching in 1977. DC, LBs, HC, STs, recruiting, DL with the Lions. Drafted in 10th round in 1976. Played a bit with Seattle.

No doubt the availability of these guys is due in large measure to the presence of Jeff Tedford. Cortez turned us down last year for the same role.

Willie Fields. CFL player for 6 years. High school and college coaching. SFU.

I guess we will be watching our STs this year. Can Chuck McMann transform that outfit into a lethal group, ready for anything?

OK. Nice job rebuilding the coaching staff. But ... There are excellent staffs throughout the CFL. And no gimmes. No guarantees. But we have addressed the coaching issue. :thup:

Is Jeff Tedford going to coach rings around John Hufnagel and his staff? Or Kent Austin and his staff? Or Scott Milanovich in Toronto? Or Tom Higgins in Montreal? I don't think so. But we have every reason to be hopeful. We can compete. We have addressed the Xs and Os issue.

Re coaching in the CFL ... The bar is still rising. The level of expertise is still rising. Good for the league. :thup: Tough for the competition. No rolling out the same plans, week after week.

Gonna miss Kelly Bates? Personally, as a fan, Yes. Mostly for what seems to be a fantastic job evaluating Canadian talent, since he has been involved in the draft.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to LU, Chuck McMann hasn't yet been approached about assuming responsibility for the Canadian draft.
Buono said McMann, who previously had a role in Canadian scouting, has not yet been approached about an expanded role, and the GM wouldn’t commit to an additional hire.

“We’re in good shape,” contended Buono, who has until March 27 to put together a draft team for the league’s main evaluation camp.
It doesn't sound like Canadian player evaluations will be a priority for the team in the meantime.

Province article
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Well, progress on offense anyway. So that's something.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I was surprised that Bates was given a look at OL coach but I guess Cortez and Malone are a package and that explains that.

Wally is likely happy to have more CFL experienced coaches as Tedford has been gone a long time.

Interesting comment that Wally prevented Tedford - then an assistant - from interviewing for the Ottawa HC role. I am a very strong believer that you never do this as an interview process (Benevides turned down interview chances apparently - no wonder he's in his predicament) should be a learning and growth opportunity for the coach as well as finding out the GM in that other team's thinking.

I'd not want someone on my staff I prevented from that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote: Interesting comment that Wally prevented Tedford - then an assistant - from interviewing for the Ottawa HC role. I am a very strong believer that you never do this as an interview process (Benevides turned down interview chances apparently - no wonder he's in his predicament) should be a learning and growth opportunity for the coach as well as finding out the GM in that other team's thinking.

I'd not want someone on my staff I prevented from that.
Let's be fair. Wally probably did him a favor in light of the economic condition of that franchise at the time.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
Rammer wrote:However, the appointment of Cortez was predicted with his Tedford connection, and then to see Ross and Quinn Tedford given a position, you have to wonder if it isn't all happening over again right out of the gate.
If what you're hinting at is a repeat of the 'ole boys club approach to hiring that we've seen with Wally, in my experience, few assistant hires by the HC are from left field. Or put another way, there is invariably some familiarity of the assistant by the HC. The fact that Tedford has taken 4 coaches from the previous regime is a good sign that he's not one of these guys who comes in thinking he knows everything and that his guys would be better.

I am and I agree with you, it is a teeter tottering balance though. In keeping McMann, that isn't a stretch as Tedford has a connection there.
Entertainment value = an all time low