Assistant Coaching Staff Changes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sportsnet's Arash Madani is reporting on Twitter that Khari Jones has accepted an offer to remain with the Lions under Jeff Tedford and not leave to become QB coach in Saskatchewan and Kelly Bates is out as running backs coach and CFL draft coordinator.
Arash Madani
‏@ArashMadani #CFL update: Khari Jones was in the mix for Sask's QB coach job. Sources tell me BC offered Khari a gig on Tedford's staff and he'll take it

Arash Madani
‏@ArashMadani With Khari Jones staying in BC, makes total sense that George Cortez will be the Lions offensive coordinator. Tedford connection, etc. #CFL

Arash Madani
‏@ArashMadani Per #CFL sources: Kelly Bates is out as RB coach and draft coordinator of the Lions. Jeff Tedford's regime getting underway.
TSN's Farhan Lalji weighs in:
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
First mistake of the Jeff Tedford era: not keeping Kelly Bates. Does an outstanding job as Cdn draft coordinator & a top up& coming OL coach
[Title modified. This thread can hold posts for the assistant coaching changes. -- Mod Staff]
notahomer
Hall of Famer

DARN! :bang: Think losing Bates will be something we'll regret.....
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Disappointing if true. Even more so if Dorazio and McMann are retained. I could see Tedford having someone else in mind as an offensive assistant but not a Canadian draft coordinator given he has been down south for over the last 20 years.
dupsdell1
Champion

I see a mistake already hopefully he proves us all wrong
South Pender
Legend

Geez, that is disappointing if true. I wonder whether this was entirely Tedford's decision. I think we were all hoping to see a new, dynamic OC, and everyone on this forum at least has been high on Bates.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Disappointing if true. Even more so if Dorazio and McMann are retained. I could see Tedford having someone else in mind as an offensive assistant but not a Canadian draft coordinator given he has been down south for over the last 20 years.
Hmm. Dorazio has been evaluating Canadian talent forever, looking for "good girth" and all. Perhaps he gets a sideways shuffle from O-line coach.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wasn't exactly what I was expecting. Wonder what Jones' new role is
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Disappointing if true. Even more so if Dorazio and McMann are retained. I could see Tedford having someone else in mind as an offensive assistant but not a Canadian draft coordinator given he has been down south for over the last 20 years.
Hmm. Dorazio has been evaluating Canadian talent forever, looking for "good girth" and all. Perhaps he gets a sideways shuffle from O-line coach.
Problem with that is that he only found one that IR, and that one shouldn't be a starting guard on a CFL team, let alone the Lions starter.

If they drop Bates after the success of his drafts, vs what we saw going on for the duration of Benevides, they are making a mistake on the large side. Lions found 3rd round and later picks that actually helped the team under Bates. This amounts to one step forward and if Dorazio is kept, two back....
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Cold chill. Yikes.

Getting rid of Kelly Bates is a head shaker. I can't help but think that Kelly Bates is going to go on and be an excellent O Line coach in this league. And we wonder who replaces his judgment in evaluating for the draft. ??? We know Dan Dorazio can spot "good girth" and a "good body." But we have little reason to think he can evaluate talent, even for the position he coaches.

Scary ...
TSN's Farhan Lalji weighs in:

Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
First mistake of the Jeff Tedford era: not keeping Kelly Bates. Does an outstanding job as Cdn draft coordinator & a top up& coming OL coach
:thup: That is how it looks to some fans here, myself included.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Very, very disappointed if Bates is let go. It means that Tedford's first decision is a huge mistake and not the way to start his new job.

If Dorazio is retained as O line coach I will not be renewing my 3-Pak. I WILL NOT PAY MONEY TO WATCH A DORAZIO COACHED O LINE.

I'm already starting to second guess Tedford's hiring. Maybe Trestman, recently fired from Chicago, would have been a better choice.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

paopao still gonna be around?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
leo4life
All Star

Simply will not renew my seasons tix tickets if Dorazio is retained as OLine coach again.His blocking schemes have been a disaster,too complex even with three Internationals
aklawitter
All Star

the only positive way to spin this:

kelly bates has received a more lucrative offer elsewhere
angus reid is our new OL/RB/whatever coach
khari jones has been demoted

does this seem likely? if not, yikes

i used to be a season ticket holder, now i might not even be going to a game if a ticket was given to me
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

leo4life wrote:Simply will not renew my seasons tix tickets if Dorazio is retained as OLine coach again.His blocking schemes have been a disaster,too complex even with three Internationals
I heard one of the BC lineman in a post game interview (I'm paraphrasing) say that when they keep it simple and there is less to think about pre-snap, they end up firing off the line quicker at the snap of the ball and they end up engaging the opponent a micro second sooner. Too bad "simple" isn't in Telfon Dan Dorazio's vocabulary.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Woo Hoo! It's Opposite Day!