Buono Looking At An All In One Kicker For 2015

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Leone has too many NFL options to sign a CFL contract now. I'd love to see the Lions use one kicker who can do everything but McCallum is safe until someone proves they can do all three jobs. You're not likely to find a free-agent kicker with proven 90% accuracy on field goals and a 53-yard range.
The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Leone has too many NFL options to sign a CFL contract now. I'd love to see the Lions use one kicker who can do everything but McCallum is safe until someone proves they can do all three jobs. You're not likely to find a free-agent kicker with proven 90% accuracy on field goals and a 53-yard range.
McCallum can't kick-off or punt. All he does is kick field goals, and he's been sheltered at that. He wouldn't have a 90% accuracy if he took more 40/45+ yard field goals. Too often I've seen us on the opposition 40 yard line and end up punting. IMO he's done, and we need an improvement.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I prefer to see a Canadian kicker. Frees up a sport for an International. Any highly touted kicker in the CFL draft ?
David
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:McCallum can't kick-off or punt. All he does is kick field goals, and he's been sheltered at that. He wouldn't have a 90% accuracy if he took more 40/45+ yard field goals. Too often I've seen us on the opposition 40 yard line and end up punting. IMO he's done, and we need an improvement.
Sorry man, have to disagree. The weakness of McCallum's field goal kicking leg is greatly exaggerated. He hit a 49 yarder this season. Not all of his attempts were chip shots. Granted, he can't kick-off deep anymore and he struggled mightily punting in the East Final, but until someone comes along with 85%+ accuracy who can do all 3 chores, McCallum is definitely worth keeping around.

What good is having a guy who can drill a 50-yarders if 35 and 40 yarders are an adventure? Unfortunately, Lirim Hajrullahus don't grow on trees. Sadly, neither do the Swayze Waters.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I prefer to see a Canadian kicker. Frees up a sport for an International. Any highly touted kicker in the CFL draft ?
G
lenn also said it would not surprise him if he ended up in Ottawa, the same club that traded him to B.C. in May.

“I’ve seen weirder things happen,” he said. “I do love football and I have lots of football left in me.”

He is still under contract to the Lions, however, and won’t become a free agent until February.

“It confuses me,” Glenn said. “The Lions don’t want me in their plans. But if I go out and talk with another team, is that still considered tampering?”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Lion ... z3LXwth79i
Glenn has a point. If a team says they dont want you back why can't they talk to another team. Or why won't the Lions do him right and cut him.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Makes me realize how spoiled I was as a Lions fan with Lui handling all three of the jobs for all those years.....

McCallums done well for awhile too but had various guys auditioning to be his replacement. Still outlasted them all too....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder what Curtis Head is doing these days ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It is an issue for Wally, but hardly top of the priority list. HC. QB.

Hungrily awaiting news.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Judging by a conversation with Ottawa GM Marcel Desjardins, it is unlikely that Kevin Glenn plays in Ottawa.

His twitter explosion about the Ottawa Football Club, then lies about having his account hacked were pretty much fatal to that plan.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:It is an issue for Wally, but hardly top of the priority list. HC. QB.

Hungrily awaiting news.
So, WCJ, Wally should punt the kicker idea in behind the the other issues... :wink: (sorry that was bad...)

I do agree QB is top priority along with who will be HC. Kicker? Smaller issue for sure but that all-in-one Canadian sure opens some options. I got so used to having a Lui or Paul, kinda forgot what an advantage a National spot being used there is......
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:It is an issue for Wally, but hardly top of the priority list. HC. QB.

Hungrily awaiting news.
So, WCJ, Wally should punt the kicker idea in behind the the other issues... :wink: (sorry that was bad...)

I do agree QB is top priority along with who will be HC. Kicker? Smaller issue for sure but that all-in-one Canadian sure opens some options. I got so used to having a Lui or Paul, kinda forgot what an advantage a National spot being used there is......
Ha ha, nota. Punt the punter? Sure. No strong opinions on the kicking game. It almost seems hardly news worthy, in view of the other issues that rise almost to the crisis level.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Leone has too many NFL options to sign a CFL contract now. I'd love to see the Lions use one kicker who can do everything but McCallum is safe until someone proves they can do all three jobs. You're not likely to find a free-agent kicker with proven 90% accuracy on field goals and a 53-yard range.
McCallum can't kick-off or punt. All he does is kick field goals, and he's been sheltered at that. He wouldn't have a 90% accuracy if he took more 40/45+ yard field goals. Too often I've seen us on the opposition 40 yard line and end up punting. IMO he's done, and we need an improvement.
All kickers seem to get somewhat sheltered in that regard these days. CFL.ca used to break FG stats down by 10 yard range increments showing how the kickers did in terms of attempts/good but no longer do so. In terms of FGs of 45 and beyond with season longest in brackets:
Waters - 8 (53)
Whyte - 6 (49)
McCallum - 5 (49)
Hajrullahu - 5 (51)
Medlock - 4 (52) - only kicker to make 2 from 50+
Shaw & O'Neill (combined) - 4 (Shaw 49, O'Neill 47)
Maher - 2 (48)
Milo - 1 (48)
Parades - 1 (47)
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Thanks for that info, Hambone. Was trying to debunk the myth that McCallum only trots out onto the field to kick chip shots of 30 yards or less, and extra points. This makes a fairly good case (not to mention the West All-Star nod he received this year).

Would I like an "all in one" kicker with slightly better range? Sure. But until ones comes along, we could do a lot worse than McCallum kicking field goals.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It seems to me that McCallum is another one of those resources that we may dispose of in such as way as to curdle the milk once again. Might be a better option to approach the situation by asking Paul to mentor his replacement. Get a good young prospect for next season and invest Paul to work with him as a player coach. Paul can still kick the FG's but for ones that might be further out of range, give them to the new guy with the understanding that he is to try is best and who knows, by the end of the next season, we may have a viable replacement. PM has to know his time is near done. Perhaps this can be the beginning of a new era where we harvest some of the wisdom we have nurtured rather than drive it off.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.