Good-bye Dante

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/foot ... story.html
The franchise’s all-time tackles leader, Marsh received confirmation Tuesday that he is on the way out after he picked up a packet with his final paycheque in it — minus an option form for him to sign.

“Normally, it would be in there,” Marsh explained. “There were some medical forms for me to sign, but it (option form) was missing. I’ve had a great career here, but I still have a lot of football in me. It’s funny to be in this spot. I don’t know what happened. But I’m excited for the future.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/expe ... z3JWuGDAX5
It didn't start off at an all-star level in his first game, but he made the strong side corner his thereafter.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

He was definitely one of the best. To play the same position for 11 years, with very few games missed, is a rarity.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:He was definitely one of the best. To play the same position for 11 years, with very few games missed, is a rarity.
With his first real injury when he went home, he had his dreadlock look. When he was ready to come back, he had shaved his head, went into the lockerroom and nobody recognized him, they thought he was a new recruit. :beer:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

He has done good service for this team. I won't take anything away from him for that. He might be able to help some other team for another season but I think he overestimates the level of his play the last year or so. Good, not great. When opposing QB's aren't afraid to throw in your direction, that is the most telling indicator of all.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:He has done good service for this team. I won't take anything away from him for that. He might be able to help some other team for another season but I think he overestimates the level of his play the last year or so. Good, not great. When opposing QB's aren't afraid to throw in your direction, that is the most telling indicator of all.
I agree SP, I think Marsh has lost a half step or so. Still the whole thing with him going home to continue his rehab during the bye week was very poorly handled by MB, imo. But MB is in over his head and has/had more pressing problems than Marsh and that might be one reason it was so poorly handled.
almo89
Legend

One of the biggest things I noticed earlier in the season was that opposing QB's would throw to his side often. In years past, that wasn't the case. This showed me that QB's were not afraid of him anymore. Although still a very serviceable player even at this age, Wally does love to cut the cord on aging players before it's too late.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I love the guy. He's one of my favorites. I haven't seen a corner tackle receivers quite like he has in a very, very long time. I look forward to his HOF induction.
Big Time
Champion

Love Dante but his time had come. He was effective early in the year but got beat fairly regularly as the season wore on.

Dante made a ton of plays over the years however if there was one play I wish he could have a do-over on, it was the interception last year that he nearly ran back for a TD. He accidentally stepped out of bounds while running it back on the 5 yard line. Instead of a TD, Lulay came in and two plays layer dislocated his shoulder running it in for a TD. If Marsh scores as he should have, the last two years could have been much, much different.

When all is said and done, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dante's number in the ring of honour.
JohnHenry
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:He has done good service for this team. I won't take anything away from him for that. He might be able to help some other team for another season but I think he overestimates the level of his play the last year or so. Good, not great. When opposing QB's aren't afraid to throw in your direction, that is the most telling indicator of all.
I agree SP, I think Marsh has lost a half step or so. Still the whole thing with him going home to continue his rehab during the bye week was very poorly handled by MB, imo. But MB is in over his head and has/had more pressing problems than Marsh and that might be one reason it was so poorly handled.
The coach was probably under pressure to "run a tighter ship" and toughen the "country club" atmosphere. Having a veteran player miss practice and leaving town without permission was unacceptable, especially with a struggling team. The coach had little choice but to lay down the law and make an example out of Marsh.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sorry to see Marsh's stellar career end this way. One of the Lions' best ever.
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:
DanoT wrote:
The coach was probably under pressure to "run a tighter ship" and toughen the "country club" atmosphere. Having a veteran player miss practice and leaving town without permission was unacceptable, especially with a struggling team. The coach had little choice but to lay down the law and make an example out of Marsh.
Yep, and it certainly didn't hurt that he was replaced by the younger cheaper variety CB, who was just as effective.
aklawitter
All Star

i still remember sam young and dante marsh being schooled by danny mac at home vs hamilton...

play an import at safety vs a NI? i would have at least tried it...

insane that marsh only made 3 west all-star teams and 1 league all-star team
The_Pauser
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Without permission?? The man made his travel arrangements based on the practice schedule given to the entire team at the beginning of the season. It isn't his fault that Benevides decided he wanted everyone to stay an extra day after the Ottawa game.
Roar you Lions roar!
Ravi
Legend

I too am afraid this is marks the end of Marsh's career. He has had a good one and a long one but I can't see any other CFL team picking him up at this point. He will join Korey Banks in retirement.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

A fantastic BC Lion...one of my favourites because you never had to worry about Dante...very good pretty much every single game...plus he was a big hitter and caused a lot of fumbles! The 2011 and 2012 seasons with he and Banks on the short side were just beautiful to watch...SHUT DOWN city...they were such a dynamic duo for this team...

I am actually glad Dante leaving us at this point, he doesn't need to go through the mess that's coming...

To Dante Marsh, all my love and thanks!!! He has to be considered the best Lion's CB in history with his longevity...what an honour for Marsh and for me to have watched him play all these years!!!!!

All the best Dante!!! Please say hello to Korey Banks from all of us!!!
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein