Lulay to forgo surgery, eyes regular-season comeback

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As expected, the Lions announced today that Travis Lulay will not have surgery on his injured throwing shoulder and will continue to rehab it in the hope of a regular-season comeback.
I have considered all options with our team doctors, physiotherapists and training staff and at this point, I am very encouraged with my rehabilitation to date,” Lulay is quoted as saying on the team’s website. “Having been in this position last year, I am cautiously optimistic that I can return to action before the end of the regular season.”
Lulay is eligible to come off the 6-game IL on Nov. 1 and could play the final two regular-season games against Edmonton and Calgary if he's healthy.

According to Lowell Ullrich, the Lions have added several players to the practice roster, including WR Lavasier Tuinei, who was recently released before the lastest string of injuries.
Also added to the practice roster: WR Lavasier Tuinei, DB Brandon Jones , RB Bradley Randle and WR Derek Yachison. Tuinei was with the club previously but never got much more than a token a look. Yachison, a Kamloops junior, was in training camp for the experience, but lasted only a couple of days.
Lulay to forgo surgery, eyes ’14 comeback
leo4life
All Star

Have to admire Travis' moxy; a true warrior and will possibly go down swinging in 2014...if only the rest of the O had the same level of battle and compete...you know Harris has it...the receiving core have to really step up their game along with Oline (run blocking)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

This is certain to end well.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:This is certain to end well.
Hmmm.. I suspect that is a way to suggest it will not end well which is how I am leaning.

I feel bad for the guy as this doesn't sound good and the surgery failed pretty easily it seemed last time.

The REC corps has to step up their game as they are sure helping to make Kevin Glenn less a QB than he was 99% of the time with the Stamps. The whole Lion culture is different than Stamps where their HC spoke recently of Cornish thinking of life and not just football and how he understood how that other stuff factored into Cornish's decision. Travis is a QB with a huge contract and no loyalty from the club as they can't pay top dollar to a back up - that is understandable. But comments from players suggest that BC makes players play.

Which player recently said Wally told him you play next game game or you'll be gone? Sol E IIRC.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I wonder if surgery is still an option in the off season ?
LionsLip
Rookie

To suggest that Wally forces players back to work or else they are gone is just bizarre....has he lost his mind? Yes I understand some of the players make the big bucks and the team wants the bang for the buck, but really, at what point is this detrimental to the team? I really admire Lulay's determination and such, but the last game he played, he did not exactly light it up. I don't think he threw anything for over 20 yards. In my opinion I think he should rest, heal up completely and give it a fresh start next year. Even if he gets to 100% physical towards seasons end, there still are the issues of getting in sync with the offence. And running around for your life because the offensive line is not totally there does not help matters.
I agree with Toppy Van .... I don't think this is going to end well either! :wag:
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
cromartie wrote:This is certain to end well.
Hmmm.. I suspect that is a way to suggest it will not end well which is how I am leaning.

I feel bad for the guy as this doesn't sound good and the surgery failed pretty easily it seemed last time.

The REC corps has to step up their game as they are sure helping to make Kevin Glenn less a QB than he was 99% of the time with the Stamps. The whole Lion culture is different than Stamps where their HC spoke recently of Cornish thinking of life and not just football and how he understood how that other stuff factored into Cornish's decision. Travis is a QB with a huge contract and no loyalty from the club as they can't pay top dollar to a back up - that is understandable. But comments from players suggest that BC makes players play.

Which player recently said Wally told him you play next game game or you'll be gone? Sol E IIRC.
I am of mind that Lulay is trying to see if his shoulder will respond without any further surgery, as surgery means another year off for rehabbing. I don't blame him for going this route, as it is the only real chance to see him on the field before the 2016 season, as additional surgery will take well over a year to recover. If it came down to surgery, it is likely a career by that measure.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

I think I'd prefer seeing Lulay sit out the rest of the season and let his shoulder heal up completely without exposing it to another relapse. If it did heal well and he didn't need surgery, we could probably expect him back at 100% (or as close as is possible after repeated shoulder injuries) for 2015. I'd like to see us go the rest of this season with Glenn.

In addition, I think quarterback should be a recruiting priority going forward. There might be some NFL cuts that could be brought in now for a look-see for 2015. Beck is no long- (or even short-) term prospect, and I'm not sure that Travis Partridge has what's needed either. His measurables at the combine were pretty ordinary (for example, poor straight-line speed with a 4.82 40), although that certainly doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story. In any case, some competition for QB of the future would be really desirable.
Rammer
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:I think I'd prefer seeing Lulay sit out the rest of the season and let his shoulder heal up completely without exposing it to another relapse. If it did heal well and he didn't need surgery, we could probably expect him back at 100% (or as close as is possible after repeated shoulder injuries) for 2015. I'd like to see us go the rest of this season with Glenn.

In addition, I think quarterback should be a recruiting priority going forward. There might be some NFL cuts that could be brought in now for a look-see for 2015. Beck is no long- (or even short-) term prospect, and I'm not sure that Travis Partridge has what's needed either. His measurables at the combine were pretty ordinary (for example, poor straight-line speed with a 4.82 40), although that certainly doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story. In any case, some competition for QB of the future would be really desirable.
TEAM 1040 on the Pratt show said that all the off season surgery was completed undone according to the doctor. With that in mind, I can't see him throwing again without surgery that was deemed necessary in the off season, and it won't be with the authority that a QB needs this season.
South Pender
Legend

Rammer wrote:TEAM 1040 on the Pratt show said that all the off season surgery was completed undone according to the doctor. With that in mind, I can't see him throwing again without surgery that was deemed necessary in the off season, and it won't be with the authority that a QB needs this season.
Well, if that's the case, then the surgery should have been done right after the injury so as to allow as much recovery time as possible for the 2015 season. The fact that this was not done might suggest that surgery won't be needed.
Rammer
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:
Rammer wrote:TEAM 1040 on the Pratt show said that all the off season surgery was completed undone according to the doctor. With that in mind, I can't see him throwing again without surgery that was deemed necessary in the off season, and it won't be with the authority that a QB needs this season.
Well, if that's the case, then the surgery should have been done right after the injury so as to allow as much recovery time as possible for the 2015 season. The fact that this was not done might suggest that surgery won't be needed.
More to the piont that the surgery didn't work last time, it took a year to get to the point of game throwing, so if that is the case 2015 is a write off basically if he had the surgery done again, that lasted all of one game the first go around. By not doing surgery allows Lulay to see if the shoulder can get back to the 2013 level, but I doubt he sees any playing time this season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lulay's career is at the point where he has to play to fulfil his contract. The Lions won't carry him on the 6-game IL for a full season at $450,000, only to have him become a free agent for 2016, available to any team at any price. They're also unlikely to bring him back next year under his current contract and risk that he might play only one or two games. The only way he can try to protect his contract status is to come back and play well in the final few games of the regular season and postseason. Even then, the Lions might want to sign him to an incentive-based extension with a lower base salary and performance bonuses for games played.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Lulay's career is at the point where he has to play to fulfil his contract. The Lions won't carry him on the 6-game IL for a full season at $450,000, only to have him become a free agent for 2016, available to any team at any price. They're also unlikely to bring him back next year under his current contract and risk that he might play only one or two games. The only way he can try to protect his contract status is to come back and play well in the final few games of the regular season and postseason. Even then, the Lions might want to sign him to an incentive-based extension with a lower base salary and performance bonuses for games played.
Yep, pretty much what I said in the "have we seen his last game thread?":
I think Lulay knows he could be cut in the off-season if he doesn't come back this year and show enough to convince WB he's worth keeping. I think this would be part of his decision-making process.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I recall that comment being made shortly after the Ottawa game but can't recall if it was actually made by a Lions team doctor or if it was made before or after the MRI Lulay was to undergo.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lulay has made the decision that most professional athletes would make, it seems to me. Play on.

He has had a wealth of medical advice available to him. Family, et cetera.

Would surgery improve his ability to play? Dunno. Would he still be vulnerable to re-injury with another surgery? Of course. Will he be able to play this year with just his ongoing rehab? Probably.

Should he do it this way? His call. Quality of life after football whether he has surgery or not? Probably compromised in terms of pain and function.

I expect the Lions will allow fans hopes to rest on his return, to an extent. Not a good idea. That would smack of desperation and some dishonesty, it seems to me. Lulay has special talent and leadership. But is it fair to allow expectations to rise dramatically on his possible return? I don't think so. Not fair to him. Not fair to the fans.

We will see how things go in this difficult season.

Best wishes for Lulay's health and recovery. He is one of the all time Lions. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.