Riders offer trade for Burris

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/so ... ughriders/
Ryan McKenna

September 29, 2014, 1:07 PM

The Ottawa Redblacks received an offer on the weekend for quarterback Henry Burris from the Saskatchwan Roughriders, according to Sportsnet’s Arash Madani.

The Ottawa franchise is having a rough return to the CFL this season, posting a 1-11 record through Week 14.

Burris, 39, was quoted at the start of September as being frustrated with the Redblacks and their reoccurring mistakes on offence.

It has been one of Burris’s worst offensive seasons in his 15 year CFL career, having thrown for only nine touchdowns compared to the 24 he threw last year for Hamilton.

He signed a three-year contract with the Redblacks in February after being released by the Tiger-Cats. Burris played three seasons with the Roughriders in the early 2000s before going to the Calgary Stampeders where he spent the next seven seasons.

Saskatchewan has been in need of a starting quarterback after Darian Durant went down on Sept. 7 with a torn tendon in his right elbow.

Since Durant has been out, the Riders have limped to a 1-2 record, most recently a 24-0 blowout on Friday night at the hands of the Edmonton Eskimos.

Saskatchewan is tied for second place in the CFL’s West division with a 9-4 record and four points up on fourth place B.C. Lions.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Arash Madani @ArashMadani
Follow
BREAKING: Have learned the #Riders made weekend trade offers for Henry Burris, offering a 1st round pick and more. #Redblacks declined. #CFL

7:19 AM - 29 Sep 2014
Arash Madani @ArashMadani
Follow
By Sunday, talks broke down between the #Riders and #RedBlacks on a possible Burris trade. Sask hoping Durant returns by Week 17 or 18. #CFL

7:19 AM - 29 Sep 2014
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

But Hank was a traitor who took an SUV from Calgyra instead of coming back to the promised land after his NFL stint! Rider fans would never ever ever want him back. Ever! They said so. :rotf:

Not that Hank isn't a pro, but stepping in and starting while learning an entirely new offense on the fly probably isn't the best plan for success, you know?
Last edited by cromartie on Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Is Sunseri really that bad?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders been floundering like a sockeye out of water since the injury to Durant. Rookie Sunseri isn't getting the job done.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This is a rumour that just refuses to go away and NOW ITS NOT A RUMOUR! WOW, I'm a little surprised. I get that the Riders are struggling but based on his play so far this season, give your guys a chance. Is smiling Hank an upgrade?
dpoe
Starter

Would love to see the Riders give up a substantial part of their OL for this one...
pennw
Legend

Who would Ottawa have play QB should they make that trade ? Even though Burris has not been good there , they got no one else . Isn't Demarco still out ? I can't see Ottawa do anything but reject that offer .
Maybe BC could trade John Beck to the Riders instead .
MexicoLionFan
Legend

OTT would be CRAZY not to make this deal...I am sure they are just trying to get the most they can...Burris is NOT there answer at QB, clearly...and who cares if they finish 1-15 or 2-14????
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
notahomer
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:Who would Ottawa have play QB should they make that trade ? Even though Burris has not been good there , they got no one else . Isn't Demarco still out ? I can't see Ottawa do anything but reject that offer .
DeMarco is out and will be for the season, IIRC. The RedBlacks did sign one of our old castoffs, Joey Elliot. Wonder if Steven Jyles is still glad he retired? So used to playing second fiddle but he'd be a guy with lots of CFL experience based on whats out there now......
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
pennw wrote:Who would Ottawa have play QB should they make that trade ? Even though Burris has not been good there , they got no one else . Isn't Demarco still out ? I can't see Ottawa do anything but reject that offer .
DeMarco is out and will be for the season, IIRC. The RedBlacks did sign one of our old castoffs, Joey Elliot. Wonder if Steven Jyles is still glad he retired? So used to playing second fiddle but he'd be a guy with lots of CFL experience based on whats out there now......
We are at the point that Casey Printers may find the phone ringing with a CFL team on the other end. Injuries always happen, but with the new rules on protecting the QB, I can't recall a season with more QB injuries ever...I don't think that the new rules are helping.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I would expect that if Burris was going one way, one of the Rider QB's would be going the other. Sunseri probably as well as the real trade material.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I see Adrian McPherson stills show himself on Twitter as a Stampeder but he clearly isn't. He'd be an asset if he was available.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:OTT would be CRAZY not to make this deal...I am sure they are just trying to get the most they can...Burris is NOT there answer at QB, clearly...and who cares if they finish 1-15 or 2-14????
I totally agree. Getting a 1st round pick plus future considerations for a 39 year old quarterback.
LionsLip
Rookie

This is the definition of desperation, Sasky. If the deal goes through, Ottawa will be laughing all the way to the bank and make up for their bone headed move in the first place! :bang: