Stampeders 14 - Lions 7 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great comments, Guys. :thup:

There is something to be said for the collective wisdom of a dedicated group of people, who are willing to look at things without blinders. The fans on this site have bled orange for decades.

Ten, fifteen years ago, our present coaching efforts would have brought much success, it seems to me. We work hard. We put in the time. But ... Nowadays our efforts are thwarted by opponents with better game plans. They identify and capitalize on tendencies. They make every player a weapon. They stretch the field. They set things up, as with the two huge runs by Cornish. As with the corner route to Owens by the Argos previously.

Khari Jones is doing his best, but Rich Stubler shut his offence down. Harris ran himself into the ground against gang tackling, and a man keying on him, Simpson. Arceneaux was keyed on. Token coverage on Poblah and Iannuzzi was all that was needed.

Mark W has done well. No deer in the headlights is he. But he has huge tendencies, and a reluctance to blitz. When he does blitz, it is clear to all the world what is coming.

As noted over the years on this site, the coaching level in the CFL has risen dramatically since 2007. Hufnagel. Austin. Trestman. Milanovich. Now Jones. These guys have qualifications of true excellence. They are Xs and Os masters. They provide great leadership. They will seek and find weaknesses in opponents.

Our guys are doing their best. But, in a personnel search for outstanding CFL coaches, scanning the continent, they would not be found. They would not rise to the top of the personnel search. They mostly represent comfortable choices for the GM and HC. Good guys all. But up against some masters. We do get some very good coaching with the LBs and DBs, it seems to me.

Can we succeed and even make noise in the playoffs? Yes. But we have to open it up a bit. We have to game plan much better. At this rate, with demoralizing losses, there is a risk of the team caving in a bit. If Kevin Glenn gets hurt, how capable does John Beck look? If Andrew Harris is out, do we think we can actually run the ball?

Wally will stay the course at least one more year, it seems to me. What has worked for over twenty years must still work, right? Possibly even if we finish 9 and 9, or 10 and 8, and get knocked out first round. Some guys will be sacrificed of course.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

One thing WB has never done in his career is re-build a coaching staff. Benny is the only HC he has hired and that was a succession not a real recruit and hire. Does GM WB even know how to start looking for a HC and staff? My prediction is WB will maintain the status quo for a season or two longer, until the situation gets so bad (and the fan base dwindles) to the point that he retires. I don't feel too optimistic about the next 2 or 3 years for the Lions right about now.
swervynmerv
Legend

All this talk about Wally and his legacy have got me thinking about a comment that David Braley made in an article about a potential Argos sale.

It was a small line and I never really paid a lot of attention at the time, but has me thinking more now. Braley was commenting on how he didn't have anyone lined up to buy the Argos, BUT he did have 2 people that he has been in touch with about a Lions sale.

I wonder if Wally has inside information and knows this may be Braley's last in BC? It would explain why he would give his trusted and loyal freind an extension before almost everyone in the football business thought it was deserved.

As mentioned, Wally is loyal to his group of like minded "cronies" and sometimes that is to be admired; however, in a results orientated business like football, loyalty can cause blindness to what the root problem is.

Wally has been one of the best things to ever happen to the Lions. He brought respect,class and a winning culture to a team that had been an embarasament for the decade before. Like all good things, the end is near and the time for him to step up or aside is here. After so many years in the game, has Wally lost some of that edge that has made him so successful? I think so.

Now in his 60's, Wally views the game differently than many of the new coaches and GM's in the league. It isn't 1992 anymore! He plays favorites with staff and player, especially with those that he thinks have a similar mindset. As has been mentioned, the list of people that are past their due date is long. Benny, Dorazio, Paopao, McCallum, Ianuzzi, La Rose are just a few that should be gone at seasons end. The real issue facing the team is whether he is able/willing to make the changes to the team that need to be made in order to have success going forward
JohnHenry
Champion

Benny is HC of the defence too, and they seem to be playing fairly well? Not sure what the coach can do to make our OL block better. We have a OC, OL coach, RB coach, receiver's coach, what are they doing?

Benny was going into the final year of his contract. Teams rarely let their HC play out his contract. Buono had to either re-sign the coach or demote him. The Lions have been a playoff team the past 2 years, despite losing our starting QB, winning games with DeMarco, Pierce and Glenn at pivot. Let's be realistic, should Benny really have fired Dorazio, purportedly one of the best OL technicians in the business and a longtime sidekick of the GM?

I think Benny has been the focus of criticism, for his unique style and camaraderie with the players. Some fans have said they want more of a Tom Landry-type coach, perhaps in a suit and hat, rather than a hoodie, whom the players would revere and respect. Many fans also demanded that Chaps be fired last year. But change for change sake doesn't always lead to a positive outcome.

It really boils down to the players. Too many brain-cramps and poor decisions. Would having a "tough-taskmaster" at HC drill the team into efficiency? Not sure that would work with the players today. All the Lions really need is for the OL, RB's and receivers to block better and this could be a championship team, Benny and all. :cr:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I guess my thoughts on that JohnHenry are "could be", "should be", "aren't". It doesn't just boil down to the players unfortunately. Coaches and staffs set the tone, plan the strategy and otherwise manage a bunch of personalities into a unified group that performs when they need to perform. When you see a team that is constantly under performing, making mental mistakes, taking unnecessary penalties, you have to look at more than just those that are actually on the field and even in that, you have to ask, "Who recruits and trains and decides who actually is on the field?" Coaches are supposed to be leaders, they must by necessity stand somewhat apart. They can't afford to be anybody's friend when it comes to running a team and frankly I don't think most players expect that either. Tough but fair is what most players expect. They don't know what to do with the buddy buddy, chest bumping ra, ra types. Mostly they want to look at the HC as someone who can come up with the answer to the opposition. Most of us tend to look at Bene and don't see that guy. He certainly tries hard and easily can believe he has the best of intentions but this is for all intents and purposes his first coaching gig. Some take a couple or three swipes at the coaching role before they finally figure it out. He really doesn't give the appearance of knowing that magic that is 1 part technical, 1 part parental and 1 part alchemist that great head coaches use to assemble a championship calibre team. And even those that have in the past often don't succeed again which leads me to believe that a certain amount of serendipity is also involved.
He was literally given a championship team and it has been a steady decline since then. Basically it his job to make the other elements work and the results say that he isn't getting it done. 1 year, could be a blip, 2 years, you start wondering, 3 years and you really have to question whether he is the right man for the job. I would have to argue that even the Al's who have had some ridiculous turmoil in their house have seemingly found the recipe and you are starting to see them perform like a team. When the personnel are right, the effect isn't that long in coming. The Als, the Esks and the Cats have begun to put it together as did the Argo's under Milanovich. Only the Lions seem to be making a steady dive to the bottom. We are right along side a Winnipeg team with a brand new head coach who inherited a pretty bad team. We are perhaps only better than the Redblacks who have a completely new franchise and we even struggled against them.
No, I don't believe we have been particularly unfair to Mr. Benevides. He had all the tools to continue to be successful and he has managed to coach this team to it's current state of affairs. I think Belize City Lion makes a good point in that Wally is on unfamiliar territory as well. He has never had to deal with a head coach. Does he know when it may be time to pull the plug, can he do it given his loyalties. I hope so because I don't have much optimism for the future of this team if he doesn't.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
dat
Rookie

Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach. Ritchie Hall has always been a decent defensive coordinator but couldn't get it done as a HC. Kavis Reed gave good speeches but couldn't win. Benny inherited a really good team his first year and they've regressed every year. I've always really liked Wally but he's starting to remind me of Pat Quinn in his last years as Canucks GM. The fans were getting more angry as the team was getting worse and he would sit in his ivory tower as if he was above any criticism. Besides coaching player personell has to take some of the blame for not finding some more receivers or RB's. We let Stubler go and brought in two rookie coordinators and Paopao to the staff. Not to mention Benny. It should be no surprise that we're struggling. I think Washington should be given a chance though as the defence has played pretty well. Wally has been around a long time and can see that this offence is not very good. Even before Courtney Taylor got hurt they were still struggling. Never mind be in the Grey Cup we might not make the playoffs. What's going to be done ?

DAT
Don Miller
Legend

:dizzy: Benny and the Jets not getting it done. Why can't we run the ball with our fast elusive back? Poor OLine blocking and play calling. Time for Dorazio to go. Benny is clearly over his head as a head coach. He sounds like a high school coach with the give me a "hell yahs" Wally get Lapolice on board. Time to let Mitchell walk unless he is the guy that used to play here. Clearly Beck is not a CFL qb. Future does not look great. Hamilton will be licking their chops they haven't lost in their new stadium. Our receivers are overrated,Gore hardly used. Larose too slow and has been for the last 3 years. Wally is a much better coach than a GM. The fans will start staying home unless there are changes. I drive in from Chwk and unless i see improvements and changes not likely to renew next session.. That's my rant hope Harris is not as bad as it looks..
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
pennw
Legend

It very well might be best if the team does not make the playoffs this so that Wally's hand will be forced . I can't see changes not coming in the off season if there is not a drastic turn around . To the credit of Benny and his OC , the O-line has been atrocious and not just recently , but going on for many years now . This has severely handicapped the O as they could not count on a reliable run game or pass protection . That is squarely on the O-line coach and the guy who keeps him there , Wally Bouno . Has Benny or any of his assistants had any say on that position ? I doubt it , Dorazio is clearly WB's Man and always has been . Every other team has been able to put together a decent o-line while BC has consistently had the worst O-line in the league for years now , no matter who is manning it. Surely watching the playoffs on TV may get Wally to do some real self analysis as to what went wrong .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote: The the Lions need to open Braley's wallet and hire LaPolice as HC and play caller and make Kelly Bates the O line coach.
I really don't understand the fixation with LaPolice. He comes across OK as a TSN analyst but his coaching track record is hardly something to write home about. His CFL coaching experience shows 2-1/2 years as HC, 2 years as OC, 2 years as combo OC/RC/QC/RBC and 6 years as a receivers coach. Prior to John "Skippy" Huard bring him to the CFL his biggest coaching role was 2 years as OC for NCAA Div III school RPI playing in a conference that includes such legendary programs as the Merchant Marine Mariners and Worcester Polytechnic Engineers. In his lone CFL HC stint the Bombers had a .363 winning percentage. While they did make the GC in his second season that was a season they started 7-1 before stumbling 3-7 the rest of the way barely hanging onto 1st place for home field advantage. They received some help when Hamilton, who they swept 3-0 in the regular season, upset Montreal in the ESF 19-3. Taking LaPolice's regular season HC record into context they went 4-14-0 in 2010; started 2011 7-1-0 then went 5-13 the rest of the way until he was fired. That's 7-1-0 surrounded by 9-27-0. LaPolice would have to prove me wrong but for now I'm not convinced he's an an OC upgrade over Jones much less a solid HC candidate anywhere in this league.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote: The the Lions need to open Braley's wallet and hire LaPolice as HC and play caller and make Kelly Bates the O line coach.
I really don't understand the fixation with LaPolice. He comes across OK as a TSN analyst but his coaching track record is hardly something to write home about. His CFL coaching experience shows 2-1/2 years as HC, 2 years as OC, 2 years as combo OC/RC/QC/RBC and 6 years as a receivers coach. Prior to John "Skippy" Huard bring him to the CFL his biggest coaching role was 2 years as OC for NCAA Div III school RPI playing in a conference that includes such legendary programs as the Merchant Marine Mariners and Worcester Polytechnic Engineers. In his lone CFL HC stint the Bombers had a .363 winning percentage. While they did make the GC in his second season that was a season they started 7-1 before stumbling 3-7 the rest of the way barely hanging onto 1st place for home field advantage. They received some help when Hamilton, who they swept 3-0 in the regular season, upset Montreal in the ESF 19-3. Taking LaPolice's regular season HC record into context they went 4-14-0 in 2010; started 2011 7-1-0 then went 5-13 the rest of the way until he was fired. That's 7-1-0 surrounded by 9-27-0. LaPolice would have to prove me wrong but for now I'm not convinced he's an an OC upgrade over Jones much less a solid HC candidate anywhere in this league.
OK, LaPolice is better at TV football analysis then coaching, but who else is there out there that is HC material? Give Cortez, Hall, Stubler, or Belefuielle a second shot at HC? Are there any CIS HCs worth considering?
pennw
Legend

I agree with Hambone , much easier to go on TV and commentate on a few plays than it is to run a CFL offense from the sidelines and make it look as good as your talking about it. Lapo did not have that great a record as a coach , which is why he got let go . I think any former OC that went on TV talking offense would sound pretty good to us armchair guys .
swervynmerv
Legend

DanoT you make a grea point. I call for Benny's head as much as anyone but really haven't given much thought to or offered an adequate replacement.

By just giving Benny the keys to the Castle without taking a good look outside the organization, Wally missed out on the opportunity to bring in a fresh mind with new ideas. Chamblin, Milanovich, O'Shea and Jones are all HC now of other teams.

The Lions have developed a case of "the emperors new clothes". Pretty much everyone has been around for years or associated with Wally for so long, I don't think it is an environment that fosters new and creative thinking.

One thing that Farhan mentioned on the post game show last night was that a couple of ex-players he had talked to had hinted that players may have tuned Benny out. He didn't mention them by name but can't help but think one is Angus Reid.

Too me Dickenson would be the first choice as Head Coach, but he seems to be destined to take over for Hufnagel and could as early as next season if the win it all this year. Would an offer of Head Coach/GM like we gave Wally be enough to lure him back to BC? Wally could ride off to retirement as a SR Vp of Football and provide guidance from upstairs.

A good place to start would be new O-line and a Special teams coaches. If Lulay can't play anymore, find him a position somewhere and start grooming him. I see him as a HC one day anyways, I just hope for him not so soon.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote: OK, LaPolice is better at TV football analysis then coaching, but who else is there out there that is HC material? Give Cortez, Hall, Stubler, or Belefuielle a second shot at HC? Are there any CIS HCs worth considering?
I wouldn't give any CIS HC's consideration for a CFL HC job unless they have previous experience coaching at the professional level either as an HC or at the coordinator level. It's extremely rare bordering on unheard of that a guy can make that jump and be successful whether that's at the CFL or NFL level. NBA and NHL teams have tried it too with lukewarm success to abject failure. The guys who have made the successful jump from college HC to pro HC have done so by taking a step back to first pay their dues as a pro assistant coach before taking the big job. Pete Carroll is a recent example of one making the jump from college HC to pro HC but he had 15 years of NFL experience including 4 as a HC before he dropped back to the college ranks with USC. The biggest reason is that it's a whole different kettle of fish coaching pro athletes with contracts, egos etc than it is coaching kids. Bill Parcells once said when coaching in college you get to play dictator. That doesn't work at the pro level.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

One group that does seem to make that jump (from little coaching to Head Coach, often with little seasoning as a coordinator/assistant) is EX-CFL players. I think there are a few coaching out there with CFL experience that I'm confident will get a shot at being a Head Coach down the line. For e.g. Baron Miles and Jarious Jackson were both referred to as Mentor/Coaches WHILE THEY WERE STILL PLAYING. An Ex-Lion being the Head Coach, if Benny can't get this fixed?

Sound good to me.......................

If there were any OperationOrangers who made the trip to Calgary, let us know how it went. I've been on two, loved the trip itself both times. Betting it was a quiet flight home.......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:
I strongly believe that Wally's ever stronger religious posture has been at the root of our decline. I have nothing against what anyone wants to believe, but religious or not, it is still just a personal belief, and does NOT have a place when you interact with others outside of friends and family. This is a business...winning is hard enough that you can't handicap your decisions based upon a narrow set of beliefs and judgements. I think that Benevides was chosen as our HC because of this...and its the same reason why Wally stubbornly holds to Dorazio and McMann as well.
Care to elaborate ?