Stampeders 14 - Lions 7 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MexicoLionFan
Legend

David wrote:The coaching staff needs to be replaced - HC, OC, O-line, and Special Teams, but they're probably going to use the fact that they played without Lulay as the excuse. In the meantime, what is the club doing to improve the roster in this Grey Cup hosting season? IMO, an international receiver should have been signed when Courtney Taylor went down, as well as a running back with size and speed to challenge a sputtering Stefan Logan.

No sense of urgency tonight. No hurry-up offense, no creativity, no deception, no risk.....no points. :thdn:

DH :cool:
They can't blame it on losing Lulay, as the trade for Kevin Glenn was the greatest in CFL history...we lucked out on that one...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:If anyone needs more proof about why Benny needs to go, the post game show on TSN 1040 is proof!

Calgary's D made adjustments? Have the Lions ever? If the coordinators aren't, they should be held accountable. More importantly why isn't Benny making sure adjustments are made.

5 games left and I can see us only winning 1 or 2. Enough to get into the playoffs, even if it is a cross-over?
Listen to him, the fool is in denial! Unbelievable. Dorazio needs to go, Stamps came with a 3 man rush and got to Glenn and Beck. Why is it that almost every team in the CFL has a dominant O line except us? It's been our achillies heel for that last decade. The number of QB's who's careers have ended here in BC is proof enough. :bang:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:If anyone needs more proof about why Benny needs to go, the post game show on TSN 1040 is proof!

Calgary's D made adjustments? Have the Lions ever? If the coordinators aren't, they should be held accountable. More importantly why isn't Benny making sure adjustments are made.

5 games left and I can see us only winning 1 or 2. Enough to get into the playoffs, even if it is a cross-over?
I cannot listen to the post game, swervyn. What was said on the post game show?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

I decided to go grocery shopping in the third quarter and on the way home heard Beck was put in. Obviously he didn't light it up, but was there anything positive about his play?

I think we should cut Glenn. Ride the two kids for the rest of the year; they, at least, can offer hope for the future.

Has the decision to sit Tim Brown ever worked to our advantage?

James
Wow, you really did take the summer off. :wink:

1) Glenn may not be what we thought he was going to deliver, but he's our only hope.
2) If we cut him, he most assuredly would be picked up by our division rivals, the Saskatchewan Roughriders with whom we're in a battle for a playoff position
3) Beck is not a kid; he's an NFL veteran
4) We didn't sit Brown by choice. He was injured against the Argos

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:Intense game. We played our guts out. Not enough offence. Defence good except for the mistakes on the D calls allowing Cornish to break two big ones.
This sums it up. The defence played hard. But as has happened all year, when they blitzed they got burned. Keep Elimimian and Bighill in the box and play straight up and Cornish would not have his big gains.

On offence, the passing game all year has relied on the slots and running backs. Tonight, when Burnham went out, the offence relied completely on Andrew Harris until he got hurt. The Stamps took Arceneaux out of the game and they stacked the box with linebackers to key on Harris. No one can do it alone against 12 guys. I was happy to see John Beck come in because he at least targeted a couple of other receivers. The Lions tried a wide receiver screen in the first quarter but the ball was knocked down at the line by a blitzing Keon Raymond. They didn't do anything after that to stretch the field horizontally and try to take players out of the box. The offence did nothing to help the defence, and in the end the defence couldn't do everything.

I mentioned in the game thread that the coaches' game tape will be quite revealing. Were the four national receivers getting open in the second half or did Glenn just have eyes for his RB? The offence has big problems if Harris is the only two player who has been producing, and he might now be out.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote:First, I would like to find out the status on Andrew Harris, as soon as anyone hears anything...Harris played so hard again tonight, but one player can't win a football game...
Benevides said on the post game that doctors were saying that Harris and Burnham might have to stay overnight in Calgary. Not a good sign.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:

Same old stuff Benevides have been saying all season. Guys played hard, dropped passes and mental mistakes. No fault of the coaching stuff. Always on the players for not executing.
swervynmerv
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:

Just Benny's demeanour. I can't imagine he inspires anyone. Basically the same old rhetoric. Started well, dropped passes(which is true), Calgary made adjustments, blah blah....

Was asked questions about the lack of offensive output and really didn't have an answer. Just have to be better in the next 5 games. If I'm a player, I'd tune him out. My guess is they have.

Farhan and Guiluo are making great points about a possible rift between the offence and defence. Not saying there is one but does it become a factor in the remaining games as the D plays great and the offence continues to sputter and a vet like Glenn keeps making mistakes.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

Thanks TLK...I feel terrible for Andrew as he has been unbelievable this season considering how much he has done with so little help...staying behind is a VERY bad thing for Harris, especially considering the quality of the CGY hospitals...

BCFAN, Andrew Harris has been our lone, consistent bright spot on offence outside of Arceneaux and Hunter Steward. With Harris gone for any length of time, I honestly can't see this offence scoring more than 14 points a game...teams will just take Arceneaux away and make Glenn beat them with the other receivers that he doesn't even look at...defensively, you are right, they fought hard and competed well, but as I have said all season, we are the only D in the league that plays without consistent pressure, and it doesn't translate well to playing behind, and with our offence, this is a common occurrence! Washington simply does not know how to dial up pressure when we need it...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well if the defense works its butt off to keep the games close but the O shows absolutely no ability to make that hard work worthwhile, I would get frustrated too. A couple of mentions about how the Defense got exposed tonight a couple of times. The fact is that if the O had managed to keep the ball moving for any sustained drives, the D wouldn't have needed to be out there to be exposed. Calgary is a good team, it only goes to follow that the longer they have the ball, the more chances there are to make the big play. This game was a joke despite the score. Even faltering the way Calgary did, they still beat us. Had they connected on any number of chances that they had with receivers wide open, this game would have been a laffer. Much like I think this team is rapidly becoming one. They show no signs of improvement, if anything they appear to be regressing. The head coach appears to be clueless as does the Offense in general. They are Offensive alright but not in a good way.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I missed a lot of the game tonight due to a work commitment but sounds like I did not miss a classic.... :wink:

I did see the start of the game and there was enough noise that I wondered aloud if it was the Operation Orange crew? Did the broadcast show them?

I really was happy with that opening drive and the BC D- looked solid to start anyways. Oh well, another road game next week. Hope some of the kinks get worked out. Sounds like it was another :bang: kinda game......
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks, TLK and swervyn for the feedback on the post game show with Benny Blather.
B.C.FAN wrote: On offence, the passing game all year has relied on the slots and running backs. Tonight, when Burnham went out, the offence relied completely on Andrew Harris until he got hurt. The Stamps took Arceneaux out of the game and they stacked the box with linebackers to key on Harris. No one can do it alone against 12 guys. I was happy to see John Beck come in because he at least targeted a couple of other receivers. The Lions tried a wide receiver screen in the first quarter but the ball was knocked down at the line by a blitzing Keon Raymond. They didn't do anything after that to stretch the field horizontally and try to take players out of the box. The offence did nothing to help the defence, and in the end the defence couldn't do everything.
Yes we really missed Burnham.

And Simpson had Harris dialed in all night. Andrew took a pounding. Even Tonka Toys can be broken. Not enough help for Andrew. It's a shame. He has the heart and talent of a champion.

Not enough options in our offence. Without Burnham, Stubler took Manny out of the game. We do not seem to game plan effectively to make our wideouts part of the game.

And then our O Line preparation in many ways is inadequate in the view of some of us.

Mark W shows promise. But he has to make a bit of a transition. He does not seem able to dial up blitzes without revealing his hand. So we lack overwhelming pressure on the QB. Personally I do not fault our D Line personnel.

The score might have been worse. As pointed out, Tate missed some long throws, with excellent scoring potential.

IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnHenry
Champion

We should remember the Stamps are the best team in the league and the Lions played them tough. I thought Glenn played fairly well, making the safe decisions in a close game but just couldn't close it out. I think that last errant pass was a "pass behind", with Arseneux stumbling and unable to come back to the ball.

The Lions should perhaps look at T. Partridge at QB. He has the size and mobility to survive in our offensive system. He also has a strong arm, just needing some playing time to show what he can do.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

MexicoLionFan wrote: Washington simply does not know how to dial up pressure when we need it...
Nor does he know how to disguise when Solomon and Bighill blitz
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
MexicoLionFan wrote: Washington simply does not know how to dial up pressure when we need it...
Nor does he know how to disguise when Solomon and Bighill blitz
I always wonder why teams seem to have the purrfect play call against our blitz. The Stamps scored two field goals and a safety (after a missed field goal) after Cornish exploited the B.C. blitz with two long runs and a 13-yard shovel pass. Those three plays accounted for more than half of Cornish's offence. Take those plays away and the Lions could escape with a 7-6 victory.