Argos vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Second meeting of David Braley's teams. First round went to the Lions with a 33-17 win on Aug. 17th. Argos coming off a devastating loss to the Stamps in which they blew a 26 point lead. Should be very motivated for this game. Jet lag won't be a problem as they stayed in Calgary to practice. Lions need to continue keeping things simple. Take the thinking out of the game and let the players do what they do best, ie. play
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I think it will be a close one. Rays got some weapons coming back. Weird because both of these offences have been and continue to be impacted HEAVILY by injuries.

Like to see a solid dose of run game by the Lions defence.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Second meeting of David Braley's teams. First round went to the Lions with a 33-17 win on Aug. 17th. Argos coming off a devastating loss to the Stamps in which they blew a 26 point lead. Should be very motivated for this game. Jet lag won't be a problem as they stayed in Calgary to practice. Lions need to continue keeping things simple. Take the thinking out of the game and let the players do what they do best, ie. play
I am to understand that Vancouver is a destination location for traveling CFL teams, apparently there is lots to do downtown if you are inclined. Hopefully the Argos like to take in the atmosphere enough to take the edge off of that Stampeder defeat. I think that you will know early if the Argos are going to give a game, as Ray is either lights out or the light is out vs the Lions. Again the turnover (yeah I had to intercept that one before BCFan) battle is the priority to win, then the ground game has to control the clock on Ray.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
Like to see a solid dose of run game by the Lions defence.
I much prefer the offence who does the running. :wink:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Someone needs to show up with a sign or banner:

K.I.S.S.
Dan Dorazio
cromartie
Hall of Famer

In the last meeting, Ray had nothing to work with in the receiving corps. Nothing. At least the Argos get Chad Owens back this week, for the first time in a month. That's the good news. The bad news is, if you can take him out of the game, Ray still has almost nothing to work with.

In stretches, our front four definitely got the better of the Argos for 2.5 of the 4 quarters of that game. It didn't necessarily reflect in the Sack totals, but it was one of our defensive line's better efforts of the season, IMHO.

Offensively, it took us entirely too long to get started against a defense whose secondary just wasn't and isn't very good. A faster start is essential and had the Lions seized the opportunities as they should have in the last match up, the game would have been even more lopsided.

Exploit the mismatches that exist early (for once), limit Ray's connections to Owens and do the usual good job on run defense and this should be a win.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Big swing game tonight.

A win to improve to 8-4 and the Lions are breathing down the Eskimos' neck who will have a tough game in Hamilton tomorrow and also further widen the gap with the 5th place Bombers. Druant-less Riders also stay well within striking distance.

Lose and Lions could fall 2 games back of Eskimos/Riders and very well be battling Winnipeg for 4th the rest of the way.

No Eastern team time zone advantage as the Argos have been out West all week. Final score of first meeting a little misleading as BC actually trailed early in 4th quarter before pulling away.
dupsdell1
Champion

How many of the friends and family will be there in the stands tonight I say 23,000
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

dupsdell1 wrote:How many of the friends and family will be there in the stands tonight I say 23,000
Looking at the Ticketmaster seating chart, I'd say a bit less than last game (27,754) but more than the early season games (24,236 to 25,321). I'd guess 26,000 to 27,000.
dupsdell1
Champion

I think if they can get over 26,000 , that would be a success, look at who they are playing, Edmonton played them last week got there lowest crowed in the last 3 years just over 27,000
Argos popularity is not that good for the league right know .
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:How many of the friends and family will be there in the stands tonight I say 23,000
Probably the same fans who attended the Lion games...27,300 and change.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Looking at the Ticketmaster seating chart, I'd say a bit less than last game (27,754) but more than the early season games (24,236 to 25,321). I'd guess 26,000 to 27,000.
Without even looking at the chart, we usually get a dropoff when we play a 2nd home game in as many weeks, especially when the 2nd opponent is an eastern team. It's a saturation effect.

In Sep 2012 we hosted Mtl & Tor in that order on successive Saturdays (8th & 15th). Mtl drew 29,737 and Tor got 28,526, a drop of 4.1%.

Looking at the chart now... yeah, I think I could see all the sold upper deck seats fitting into what's left downstairs. Sold out lower bowl is ~27.1k so that's the cap. More than this means we had a pretty good last minute walkup.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
Without even looking at the chart, we usually get a dropoff when we play a 2nd home game in as many weeks, especially when the 2nd opponent is an eastern team. It's a saturation effect.

In Sep 2012 we hosted Mtl & Tor in that order on successive Saturdays (8th & 15th). Mtl drew 29,737 and Tor got 28,526, a drop of 4.1%.

Looking at the chart now... yeah, I think I could see all the sold upper deck seats fitting into what's left downstairs. Sold out lower bowl is ~27.1k so that's the cap. More than this means we had a pretty good last minute walkup.
Given that the Lions should average approximately 8K in papered seats (33K gauranteed seat night divided between 4 games), the crowd size isn't that good. Of course I doubt that all those freebie tickets as being used.
Entertainment value = an all time low
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Going deep early? Ianuzzi in tight? Approved.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Damn interception