Two Offensive Plays I'd Like to See with the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

Maybe this is overly simplistic, but watching the Seahawks against the Packers, along with a few glimpses of the Vikings dismantling the Rams, I got to thinking that Khari Jones might want to give more emphasis to the jet sweep. This is closely related to the fly sweep and can be run from formations with the QB under center or from the gun (where the sweep back cuts in front of the QB). We have an ideal back for this play in Stefan Logan, who ran a 4.43 40 at the combine. For this play you need a tight end and, ideally, a fullback lead blocking, and the sweep back hits just off the outside hip of the tackle. It's a nice play to run with misdirection (enter Andrew Harris). Those who watched the Seahawks-Packers game or the Vikings-Rams game saw Percy Harvin and Cordarrelle Patterson, respectively, rip off huge yardage with this play. These guys are fast, but Logan is just as fast. (Patterson is a receiver, but I don't think that matters.) You'd put Logan in the slot, with Harris behind or beside Glenn, run play-action to Harris, and hand off or pitch to Logan with Lumbala leading the way. It requires precision timing to work. Running Logan between the tackles seems like a waste of talent to me.

The other play that worked perfectly for the Seahawks last Thursday was one they stole from Auburn University. It sets up as a read-option, but, instead of either keeping the ball or pitching it to the back, the QB pulls it down and hits a receiver 10 yards or so downfield. It may be harder to sell the read-option with Kevin Glenn now our QB, but I'd like to see this one. Here's a video of the Seahawks running it, with the pass (for a TD) to Ricardo Lockette:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201409040 ... =fullstory

Just some thoughts on a quiet Wednesday morning....
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

You know what offensive play the Lions should use that we haven't seen much of in a while?

A touchdown.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

Just found another good discussion of the jet sweep, with videos:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... eeps-power

First, you see Percy Harvin run it from the gun, with nice misdirection involving Marshawn Lynch (that would be Andrew Harris for us) and next, Cordarrelle Patterson, from a single set back formation.

I hope Blitz will weigh in on the feasibility of these plays given the Lions' personnel. For the jet sweep, can we beat the opposing DEs and OLBs with our O-line and extra blocking from a TE and FB?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:You know what offensive play the Lions should use that we haven't seen much of in a while?

A touchdown.
:rotf:
Tighthead
Legend

sj-roc wrote:You know what offensive play the Lions should use that we haven't seen much of in a while?

A touchdown.
I knew that softball wouldn't be hanging over the plate very long.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Is the "jet sweep" the latest innovation in the NFL ? Lions run the "end around" with Shawn Gore. What's in a name ?
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Is the "jet sweep" the latest innovation in the NFL ? Lions run the "end around" with Shawn Gore. What's in a name ?
Similar in trying to get a fast ball-carrier a head of steam while he streaks towards the edge of the formation. Some small differences: in the end-around, the wide receiver (and it's generally a wide receiver) takes the ball behind the QB, whereas on the fly or jet sweep, he often cuts in front of the QB, reducing the time to hit the point of attack; the fly or jet sweep often utilizes a running back, rather than WR; the lateral distance the jet back covers is less--by starting closer to the QB--than with a true end-around (which takes a while to develop), so that it is a quicker-developing play; and the blocking scheme is likely different. It's possible we've used Logan (who'd be the logical ball-carrier, I think, on a jet sweep) this way, but I can't recall seeing it (maybe because I wasn't looking for it). We've definitely tried to get Logan wide, but usually with a straight toss rather than a running start across the formation. Gore is definitely fast (posted a 4.5 40 IIRC), but Logan is a little faster and, I think, quicker, more elusive, and better at juking inside if the end is covered.

Edit: As an afterthought re the jet sweep, we'd want to run it to the right, I think, to take advantage of Olafioye's superior blocking.
Last edited by South Pender on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennw
Legend

That looks like a play the Lions were running back in 2011 under Chap , with Harris, some of the recievers and Lulay involved .
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:

A touchdown.
I knew that softball wouldn't be hanging over the plate very long.
Sad thing is, wasn't even trying to be funny, just the voice of a frustrated fan.

If the plays in the OP could work for us by all means use them. I heard Moj the other night, talking NFL, gushing about the jet sweep with some guest (Clare Farnsworth?).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rodu
Champion

It's not a play I would like to see, but a position; tight end. And not Lumbala or a biggish slot lining up at TE, but a 6'4-6'6 240lbs+ TE. Would create some mismatches down the seam with everyone using smaller quicker defenders
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

play number one - QB drops back and passes, Receiver catches 10 yards plus.

play number two - QB hands ball to RB, RB runs 6+ yards every time.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
leo4life
All Star

Play number three:Lions go back to empty 6 Receiver set and get Blitzed out
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Play number three:Lions go back to empty 6 Receiver set and get Blitzed out
Sure way to get Kevin Glenn to join Lulay on the 6 game injury list. Hate that play. :bang:
South Pender
Legend

One other thought on the jet sweep. If it's run successfully, it can really clear out the middle for the power back on subsequent plays. This was so clear when the Seahawks ran it several times against the Packers. The Packers D got so concerned with Harvin ripping off 15 yards at a time (and this against really excellent DEs and OLBs like Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews) that the middle just opened up for Marshawn Lynch, and he picked up 110 yards in the game. If we could get Logan executing this play, I have a feeling things would open up for Harris.
Rammer
Team Captain

Problem is that total is the amount of a Lions drive. I was the first to want JC out, but I am beginning to wonder now if he is willing to do consulting with the Lions. He always performed his best when he had his back up against the wall, all he needed to do was have his hand forced. Where is the guy forcing KJ's hand in this offensive struggle.
Entertainment value = an all time low