John Beck

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dpoe
Starter

What to do in preparing for our season sans Lulay? Kevin Glenn is a capable QB who, when given the time to throw, can be an extremely effective QB. He reminds me of a short Roy Dewalt.

CFL fan forums around the league have a common theme suggesting the Lions' playoff hopes are out the window in light of the injury to Travis - suggesting KG doesn't have the O-line support to be an effective starter for the remainder of the season.

Enter John Beck. He's highly touted, has a lightning-quick release, he's mobile and he is well regarded by his teammates. His limited action thus far hasn't revealed any glaring deficiencies, so I put it out there: Is it time to have a serious look at the guy?

Either way, I think we are still solid at QB. If our O-line can gel, we have a good shot at finishing much higher up in the WD standings. Lot's of football still to play.

Just some of my scrambled thoughts - please weigh in.
South Pender
Legend

I agree with your assessment of Kevin Glenn. And, if it falls to him, I think our Leos will win some games in the rest of the season. But I sure can't share your views about John Beck. First, he's not highly-touted; in fact, he's been a failure in his NFL career with first the Dolphins, and most recently Washington. He has a lifetime QB rating of 67.6, which is just dismal. Second, I don't know that he's that mobile. And finally, he looked anything but sharp in his few appearances, largely in the preseason. I sure could be wrong about this, but I don't see success for the Lions with Beck behind center. I do see success with Glenn, though. However, Khari Jones is going to need to put together smart game plans that utilize Glenn's quick release and really decent passing skills, but don't call for much mobility. Quick slants, screens, curls. I think this can be done--and, if the run game can finally be established it will be much easier--although Jones hasn't shown much innovativeness with the offense so far.
Rodu
Champion

With the Oline again a problem, it won't much matter who is behind centre. It seems everyone is taking a step back this year; regressing. Fabien and Norman look lost, Valli was never good, even our all star RT doesn't look as good as we're used to
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I said at the start of the season that the Lions will be OK as long as Glenn stays healthy. He's led teams to first-place finishes in the past. I didn't have any confidence in Beck at the outset but he did look comfortable in his limited playing time in the regular season. He is still not an option as a starter unless Lulay and Glenn are both unable to play.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions' fortunes going forward is going to rest on the shoulders on Kevin Glenn. It's up to Dorazio and Jones to do their jobs and devise plays that are effective and protect Glenn. Getting rid of the empty backfield would be a good start.
Rammer
Team Captain

I am looking forward to Partridge's growth, moreso than Beck who IMO doesn't have what it takes to win games on his arm. Glenn will get us wins, but not enough to keep a playoff homedate a reality.
Entertainment value = an all time low
dpoe
Starter

Rammer wrote:I am looking forward to Partridge's growth, moreso than Beck who IMO doesn't have what it takes to win games on his arm. Glenn will get us wins, but not enough to keep a playoff homedate a reality.
Agree with you there - Partridge has lots of upside esp. his age... he may find himself in a good spot on this team with aging QB's and the injury situation.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

dpoe wrote:
Rammer wrote:I am looking forward to Partridge's growth, moreso than Beck who IMO doesn't have what it takes to win games on his arm. Glenn will get us wins, but not enough to keep a playoff homedate a reality.
Agree with you there - Partridge has lots of upside esp. his age... he may find himself in a good spot on this team with aging QB's and the injury situation.
yeah, but can he sing :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
JohnHenry
Champion

Travis is coming back. But in the event he can't play the Lions should make K. Glenn our permanent starter. Glenn doesn't have that much mileage on his body and could play at a high level another 3 or 4 years at least. I think he's played great this year...and it hasn't exactly been a picnic in the pocket. :wink:

He's one of the few QB's in the CFL who can throw downfield with confidence. He's thrown some picks, but so did Flutie. That's a consequence of throwing downfield. Glenn's been a career backup because nobody believed in him or gave him a chance to lead his own team. I think that time has come. If Travis is unable to play next year, the Lions would be crazy to let Glenn go, especially for an unproven player like Beck.

While Beck has looked good in spot duty, he's a long way from being a starting CFL QB after 10 games. Another option could be Matt Nichols who has 4 yrs experience and will be looking for a starting gig. Also Sunseri, LeFevour, T. Harris or C. Pachall (who showed a lively arm in preseason) could be options. Travis Partridge is a confident QB who has size, mobility and a strong arm...he did everything asked of him as the 3rd-stringer. :thup:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

KnowItAll wrote:
dpoe wrote:
yeah, but can he sing :wink:
I don't think Beck can sing but he sure can dance.

I also think that Travis Partridge is potentially the next great Lions QB. A guy with a strong arm but also has accuracy and touch on his throws. For now, at age 24 with the rest of the Lions QBs in their 30s, Partridge needs to be a sponge.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

For years we had guys who looked excellent as backups, guys who looked ready to be starters.

Casey Printers.

Buck Pierce.

Jarious Jackson.

Travis Lulay.

Mike Reilly.

Now?

For me, I have some doubts about Beck. Does a guy have the necessary fire, spending years as an NFL backup, deep on the bench, or PR? Dunno ... We need to see more.

Partridge. Dunno ... Need to see more.

Casey. Buck. Travis. Even Reilly. They all looked so good from the get go.

Still not sure why we did this with Joey Elliott: brought him in, he looked good, we released him, brought him back, and then released him again. It seems like we might have lost the "blueprint" for QBs that we used for years. How can a guy who has thrown for 300 yards a few times suddenly be a bum?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Even if the season were to be done quickly they'd be foolish to dump Kevin Glenn or the gate will get even uglier.

QBs are not the only problem on this offense and Glenn is not problem #1.

Yes bring along another QB as situations permit but not at the expense of sitting out Glenn.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:For years we had guys who looked excellent as backups, guys who looked ready to be starters.

Casey Printers.

Buck Pierce.

Jarious Jackson.

Travis Lulay.

Mike Reilly.

Now?

For me, I have some doubts about Beck. Does a guy have the necessary fire, spending years as an NFL backup, deep on the bench, or PR? Dunno ... We need to see more.

Still not sure why we did this with Joey Elliott: brought him in, he looked good, we released him, brought him back, and then released him again. It seems like we might have lost the "blueprint" for QBs that we used for years. How can a guy who has thrown for 300 yards a few times suddenly be a bum?
I bet if you research Elliott's 300 yard games most will have come with garbage time yards while the opposition was way up and playing a prevent D. As for suddenly becoming a bum, the Lions OL protection did that to Casey Printers as well, and he had much more weapons to draw from than Elliott. At any rate, Beck isn't the next one, so we better put some value on Partridge. Glenn is a stop gap measure, not the guy who is going to lead the Lions to the promised land either, just not mobile enough for the CFL.
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:For years we had guys who looked excellent as backups, guys who looked ready to be starters.

Casey Printers.

Buck Pierce.

Jarious Jackson.

Travis Lulay.

Mike Reilly.

Now?

I bet if you research Elliott's 300 yard games most will have come with garbage time yards while the opposition was way up and playing a prevent D. As for suddenly becoming a bum, the Lions OL protection did that to Casey Printers as well, and he had much more weapons to draw from than Elliott. At any rate, Beck isn't the next one, so we better put some value on Partridge. Glenn is a stop gap measure, not the guy who is going to lead the Lions to the promised land either, just not mobile enough for the CFL.
Re Elliott ... Yes, that is possible. But he did rack up those yards. Maybe he could not pick up the playbook to the satisfaction of the coaches. Dunno ... But it seemed to me he was a pretty good gunslinger.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Elliott was a gunslinger but not much more. He could throw it long and throw it hard and throw it fast, but he had no accuracy or touch, and his game management and leadership skills were almost nonexistent. Maybe he could have developed more given time, but in the Lions plans there was no room for that to happen.