Travis Lulay? Have we seen his last game?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I know that everybody is probably feeling as gut shot as I am right now about Travis. I know that this is all new and that we really know nothing at this point, however, this is going to generate significant discussion over the next little while and probably deserves it's own thread. So here it is.

I want to put forth my best wishes for Travis at this point for a speedy recovery. The situation is bringing back memories of discussions of future health that we had about Buck Pierce and Dave Dickenson. Have we reached that point now with Travis? Absolutely love the guy's heart and determination but I am beginning to think about his long term well being.

I hope I am wrong but what do others think?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
tedbear
Starter

Unfortunately Dorazio's offensive line ended another quarterbacks career!
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:I know that everybody is probably feeling as gut shot as I am right now about Travis. I know that this is all new and that we really know nothing at this point, however, this is going to generate significant discussion over the next little while and probably deserves it's own thread. So here it is.

I want to put forth my best wishes for Travis at this point for a speedy recovery. The situation is bringing back memories of discussions of future health that we had about Buck Pierce and Dave Dickenson. Have we reached that point now with Travis? Absolutely love the guy's heart and determination but I am beginning to think about his long term well being.

I hope I am wrong but what do others think?
I just posted in the post game thread that I think considering his age, surgery to the shoulder, and a year to rehab, why would he risk going through another year should he get injured once again. Better to have the arm attached down the road, than hanging in a sling.

Sorry, but his playing days are over.
Entertainment value = an all time low
South Pender
Legend

How about we wait to hear about the extent of the injury. Although it looked nasty, we don't know yet how bad it is. Another thing: Buck's and Dickenson's injuries involved concussions--with the possibility of long-term brain damage and possible early dementia. The obvious thing to do was to retire. Lulay's apparent injury is of a different nature completely. When it heals up, I expect he'd want to keep playing, and doing so would have far less impact than concussions on his well-being after retirement. Again--let's wait and see before we panic.
Last edited by South Pender on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Team Captain

I'll wait for a doctor's diagnosis before I start playing "Miss Cleo" on his career. At first blush, no, it did not look good. Even more so given Travis's shoulder injury history. But I'll stop short of saying he's done even though I must admit, I'm not filled with optimism. :bawl:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Another thread with a similar title was started before the season. I said then:
If he sustains another shoulder injury before this one is completely healed, he's done.
http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =2&t=27647

Shoulder injuries are almost impossible to overcome, with or without surgery. Still, I don't know if this will be the end. Lulay has nothing to lose by trying to come back this year if he's able to throw the ball. He showed tonight that he can still lead the team. I sincerely hope this isn't the end of his career. He's worked too hard to have it end this way.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree we should wait til we hear from the medical staff before writing off his career. Things may appear worse than it actually is but then I'm an optimist.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I've never hurt my shoulder but based on some buddies and problems they had it seems to me they can almost be like concussions in that the more you've had the less of a shot it seems to take to hav another one. Once you've separated or dislocated them more than once or twice it seems like it takes less and less for them to pop out again.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I'll wait for a doctor's diagnosis before I start playing "Miss Cleo" on his career. At first blush, no, it did not look good. Even more so given Travis's shoulder injury history. But I'll stop short of saying he's done even though I must admit, I'm not filled with optimism. :bawl:

DH :cool:
I'm sorry, but he's done. Somebody call Keith Price and Matt Scott's agents.

Seriously.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:I've never hurt my shoulder but based on some buddies and problems they had it seems to me they can almost be like concussions in that the more you've had the less of a shot it seems to take to hav another one. Once you've separated or dislocated them more than once or twice it seems like it takes less and less for them to pop out again.
I happened to get a phone call before the game from my son in Quebec. His shoulder dislocated today while working but he popped it back in. Life goes on, and he won't miss any work. He'll just try to take it easy for a while. He's lost count of the times it's popped out but it's well over 30 times. He's about Lulay's age and had his first dislocation in high school 15 years ago. He had surgery to tighten the ligaments but was never able to play football again. Once the shoulder joint is loosened, not much can be done to prevent further injuries.
aklawitter
All Star

I can't help but think that we made a mistake letting Reilly go.

Hindsight.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:I happened to get a phone call before the game from my son in Quebec. His shoulder dislocated today while working but he popped it back in. Life goes on, and he won't miss any work. He'll just try to take it easy for a while. He's lost count of the times it's popped out but it's well over 30 times. He's about Lulay's age and had his first dislocation in high school 15 years ago. He had surgery to tighten the ligaments but was never able to play football again. Once the shoulder joint is loosened, not much can be done to prevent further injuries.
Your son's shoulder woes sound exactly like one of my buddies. One night we were sitting around on the deck having a few cold ones. He was just leaning on his elbow and it popped out. He had one of us grab his wrist and told us which way to give it a tug. It popped right back in and we carried on with the beers and BS like nothing had even happened. He seemed to treat it popping out more like it was a nuisance than anything else.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:I can't help but think that we made a mistake letting Reilly go.

Hindsight.
Yes hindsight is 20/20
Rammer
Team Captain

aklawitter wrote:I can't help but think that we made a mistake letting Reilly go.

Hindsight.
At the time it was a dificult call, Lulay coming off of a GC MOP performance, so I doubt any GM would have been questioned had they kept Reilly and traded Lulay. Still there were those of us who knew that we were trading away a very good QB. He does have Lulay syndrome though, taking way too many hits to survive long term.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Even if Lulay ONLY dislocated his shoulder that is not a good thing after previous injuries and surgery. At this point his health becomes a risk to him and the team in a similar way as with Pierce. In that the risk of on going injuries becomes a financial risk and continuity issue for the team.

Considering this injury was to his throwing shoulder it may be the end of is career. That would be very unfortunate for him, the Lions and the CFL.

We'll hear soon enough from the team about his status but I won't expect him to be playing any time soon. If he does, I'll be cringing every time he gets hit.