Lions 7 - RedBlacks 5 -- Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We looked like a middling or worse team coming out of Training Camp.

Sloppy game. Looked about as GQ as Benny in his sweatshirt.

O Line foibles. Husband, Fabien, Brandon all struggling at times.

It seems that Fabien has badly backslid under this regime. Not sure what Dorazio saw in Cody Husband, released by Hamilton, beside good girth and a good body.

Offence not firing well. Dunno if this can be put on Lulay, but he is rusty. Looked much the same with Glenn.

After Q1, we had 13 yards rushing.

Fooled once again on a fake kick. :dizzy: Could have been a long gainer except for Tim Brown.

Solomon played well.

Awful call when we gave up a safety from the one. Lucky to stop the long drive on a fumble.

Soft defence. No pressure on Burris.

Ottawa blows a FG with 4 minutes left, in the monsoon. Plus the fumble near our end zone. We escaped from what would have been a humiliating loss. If the lightning came one minute earlier the RedBlacks would have had an easy FG shot.

Game put on hold on account of lightning. As bad as the game was to watch, one wanted it to be over.

Do we look like a playoff contender?

Benny wants to kick the ball away on 3rd and 1. Safe call. Nope. The team convinces him to go for it.

The follies continue. Procedure. D'oh ...

Great escape by Lulay.

Great pass and catch ... Lulay to Manny.

Lulay doing what he does. It seems he is the one who benefitted the most from the time in the locker room. He came out poised and focused.

Oh Gheez ... Lulay hurt. Just like a year ago. And he was just starting to look very good in there.

If that loose ball had been recovered the RBs were in great position to set up a FG.

D not ready. Had to take a timeout.

About our young coordinators ... Are they in over their heads? How do JC and Stubes look now?

Is Benny in over his head?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
T. LULAY 18/27 167 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 4 13 0 11
E. ARCENEAUX 3 55 0 29
S. GORE 3 23 0 10
C. TAYLOR 2 29 0 16
K. POBLAH 2 21 0 12
S. LOGAN 2 14 0 11
R. LUMBALA 1 7 0 7
M. IANNUZZI 1 5 0 5

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
S. LOGAN 6 14 0 8
A. HARRIS 6 14 0 5
T. LULAY 5 50 0 24
S. GORE 1 10 0 10
J. BECK 1 1 0 1
E. ARCENEAUX 1 -9 0 0

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
T. LULAY 1 0 0 0
T. BROWN 1 0 0 0
A. LAROSE 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

P. MCCALLUM
2/2 49 0/0 6

Punting NO AVG NET LG
R. SCHMITT 11 46.8 417 69

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 9 92 10.2 20 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
R. SCHMITT 2 137 71 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 1 25 25.0 25 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
S. ELIMIMIAN 8 0 0 1
A. BIGHILL 6 0 0 0
K. SMITH 3 1 0 0
A. BAZZIE 3 1 0 0
D. MARSH 3 0 1 0
R. PHILLIPS 2 0 0 0
E. TAYLOR 2 0 0 0
A. LAROSE 2 0 0 0
R. YELL 2 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 1 1 0 1
J. JOHNSON 1 0 0 0
T. BROWN 1 0 0 0
T. WILLIAMS 1 0 0 0
C. PARKS 1 0 0 0
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
H. BURRIS 21/30 188 0 1
D. O'BRIEN 1/2 16 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
M. HENRY 4 51 0 26
W. MILES 4 33 0 13
C. WALKER 4 31 0 13
K. PADEN 3 32 0 15
J. DELAHUNT 2 15 0 9
M. HAYES 2 1 0 10
P. LAVOIE 1 16 0 16
M. CARTER 1 13 0 13
D. COLLINS 1 12 0 12

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
M. HAYES 6 6 0 4
C. WALKER 4 6 0 6
H. BURRIS 2 4 0 3

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
C. WALKER 1 1 0 0
H. BURRIS 1 0 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS

B. MAHER
1/1 35 0/0 3

Punting NO AVG NET LG
B. MAHER 9 47.6 336 58

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
J. SMITH 8 98 12.3 21 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
B. MAHER 1 62 62 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
J. SMITH 2 54 27.0 28 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
J. ROBINSON 7 0 0 0
B. LANG 5 1 0 0
A. PRUNEAU 5 0 0 0
B. THOMPSON 5 0 0 0
M. HOPKINS 3 0 0 0
T. BROWN 3 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 3 0 0 0
Z. EVANS 3 0 0 0
J. WILLIAMS 2 1 0 0
J. CAPICCIOTTI 2 0 0 0
J. SIMMONS 1 0 0 1
A. KANNEH 1 0 0 0
J. GAVINS 1 0 0 0

Spud387
Champion

We won the game, but I feel like I just got punched in the gut :(
Rodu
Champion

probably the end of Lulay, his shoulder will never be the same:(
Blitz
Team Captain

We grabbed victory from the jaws of defeat...or should I sat that a rainstorm and a botched Ottowa field goal anabled our Leos to walk away with an underserved win.

Lulay hurt his shoulder and it looks like the Lulay return will be very short lived and his future uncertain at this point.

Very sad game...in five decades of Leos football I have cheered for them, no matter how miserable a team they had at the time but I almost started cheering for Ottawa at one point in the game because our offence was so miserable...never imagined myself feeling this way. Such a waste of talent.

Time for a time out...let the emotions subside...and write some post game thoughts tomorrow.

Thanks for posting your post game stats and comments WDJ as always.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

So this coaching staff had two weeks to prepare for this game. They put up a grand total of 7 points.

If the Redblacks don't screw up a field goal try, this defense gives up a grand total of two Field Goals and loses the game.

Again, they had two weeks to prepare for a match up against a 1-8 expansion team and they put up all of 7 points. 7.

The discipline problems continue. Major fouls. No End penalties. A time count call. Failure to call a time out on the fake punt. The need to take a time out on 3rd and 1. Starting the game by taking the ball at the 35 after the opening field goal, rather than letting the best returner in the league get his hands on the ball.

If our back seven doesn't play absolutely over their heads, week in and week out, this team is sunk. And they're doing it with no help. No help from the offensive line. No help from the coaching staff. A lack of execution at critical positions on Special Teams. Not much help from the front four defensively.

And, as a special bonus, you've lost Travis, quite possibly for good.

I haven't seen someone win something that was less deserving since the 2000 US election.

Have you seen enough yet?
Last edited by cromartie on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodu
Champion

and we don't even have a QB of the future waiting in the wings this time either
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I was encouraged by Lulay's poise and performance under pressure until his injury. He gave the Lions another dimension with his running ability. Now the Lions appear to be back to Square 1 with Kevin Glenn as the starter and a makeshift offensive line that couldn't open holes for the running game or control a four-man rush. The climb toward the Grey Cup just for a lot steeper.
almo89
Legend

Lulay was rusty as expected, but I was really surprised at how poised he is in stepping up in the pocket in this first game back. But man my stomach just sank when I saw him hold his arm. I dislocated my shoulder 3 times and I know that body language of an injured shoulder.
Big Time
Champion

Feel sick to my stomach. Lulay deserves better than this. This is a crushing victory. I feel totally empty right now.
rburns13
Rookie

Rodu wrote:and we don't even have a QB of the future waiting in the wings this time either
Don't be so certain, both Beck and Partridge have shown promise in limited time, Beck in particular. If this is the end of Lulay, and I believe without a doubt it is, I'm not worried about the Lions QB situation moving forward. I am worried about other aspects of the team, but not QB.

This was less than ugly, nearly unbearable, and for all the pieces that can be pointed to for me it all comes down to one area more than any other: Coaching. The entire staff answers to him, and they as a group are simply not up to CFL standard. Jones, he's learning and is inconsistent but I think he needs a bit more rope. The D is solid, but the secondary coverage is spotty at times and Marsh was prone again tonight of poor tackling and lax coverage. Hopefully the injury to Yell isn't serious beyond tonight.

The penalties, that's all coaching as well. This team is undisciplined, sloppy, and unprepared week after week. That's all on Benevides and HIS staff, the players play as they're coached to and held accountable for. Benevides is too soft, and his players aren't accountable to him because he doesn't hold them accountable for mistakes. He says he does, talks a good game, but we don't see this sort of sloppiness tolerated in Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and on. Why? Coaches who control their teams and players on them that understand what level is expected of them.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As much as both offences struggled, the defences played extremely well. Ottawa had 12 rushes for 16 yards. Elimimian and Bighill combined for 14 tackles and Elimimian's huge forced fumble at the one yard line. The Lions came up with four turnovers, including Ottawa's botched field goal attempt. The B.C. defence should hold their heads high for winning this game (with a bit of help from the elements).

And for those who think low-scoring football is boring, just imagine you're a defensive coach or player and appreciate the plays made on defence. I find a low-scoring, defensive football game more intense and interesting than an offensive blowout.
Rodu
Champion

rburns13 wrote:
Rodu wrote:and we don't even have a QB of the future waiting in the wings this time either
Don't be so certain, both Beck and Partridge have shown promise in limited time, Beck in particular. If this is the end of Lulay, and I believe without a doubt it is, I'm not worried about the Lions QB situation moving forward. I am worried about other aspects of the team, but not QB.

This was less than ugly, nearly unbearable, and for all the pieces that can be pointed to for me it all comes down to one area more than any other: Coaching. The entire staff answers to him, and they as a group are simply not up to CFL standard. Jones, he's learning and is inconsistent but I think he needs a bit more rope. The D is solid, but the secondary coverage is spotty at times and Marsh was prone again tonight of poor tackling and lax coverage. Hopefully the injury to Yell isn't serious beyond tonight.

The penalties, that's all coaching as well. This team is undisciplined, sloppy, and unprepared week after week. That's all on Benevides and HIS staff, the players play as they're coached to and held accountable for. Benevides is too soft, and his players aren't accountable to him because he doesn't hold them accountable for mistakes. He says he does, talks a good game, but we don't see this sort of sloppiness tolerated in Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and on. Why? Coaches who control their teams and players on them that understand what level is expected of them.
have not seen enough of Partridge, but isn't Beck already in his 30's?
rb
Champion

Can you imagine anyone who is not a Lions' or Redblacks' fan actually watching this game? The entertainment quality of the CFL product is at a low ebb. I think the knee-jerk safety concession instead of punting from your end zone is probably a bad move much of the time, such is the inability of the leagues' offences to score.