Weston Dressler

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:
DanoT wrote:The ruff Riders need receivers don't they? ...Nah they'd probably suit up Geroy ahead of signing Paris.
Weston Dresler's NFL tome may be running out, I don't think he has a catch in the pre season and is buried on the depth chart
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder if the Lions might be interested in signing Dressler ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Wonder if the Lions might be interested in signing Dressler ?
Maybe but the Redblacks HAVE MADE AN OFFER. Kinda hope they land him too....

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=460393
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Read that when Dressler was released by the Riders he stated that he would not return to Saskatchewan if his NFL tryout was unsuccessful. Time will tell I guess.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=460423

Weston Dressler appears to be returning to the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

According to Gary Lawless of TSN Radio 1290 Winnipeg, Dressler and the Riders have agreed in principle to a deal, though the wide receiver must pass a physical.

Lawless notes that Dressler could play for the Roughriders as soon as this Sunday, when the team hosts the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Dressler cleared NFL waivers Tuesday after being released by the Kansas City Chiefs and was free to sign with any CFL or NFL team.

The Riders released Dressler, 29, in January -- roughly two weeks before he was scheduled to become a CFL free agent -- so he could explore his options south of the border. Shortly after working out for the Chiefs, Dressler signed with the NFL club and donned No. 13 in honour of Saskatchewan's rabid football fans, affectionately dubbed the 13th Man.

The five-foot-eight, 179-pound native of Bismarck, N.D., spent his entire six-year CFL career with Saskatchewan, registering 442 catches for 6,531 yards and 43 TDs. He surpassed the 1,000-yard receiving plateau five times, including the last four years.

Dressler had five catches for a game-high 81 yards and a TD in Saskatchewan's 45-23 Grey Cup victory over Hamilton last November at Regina's Mosaic Stadium. A two-time all-star, Dressler was the CFL's top rookie in 2008.

Dressler appeared in three exhibition games with Kansas City, recording a 19-yard kickoff return.
Last edited by TheLionKing on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

It makes sense - go to where you are a hero and known and valued by team and fans vs. venture to Ottawa where it might not work out.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MexicoLionFan
Legend

I would loved to have Dressler here on a 3 year deal...oh well...smart, smart football player and tough as nails...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:It makes sense - go to where you are a hero and known and valued by team and fans vs. venture to Ottawa where it might not work out.
He is a fit for the Riders alright. So many players chase the extra coin, when in reality they are as good as they are due to the system that they are in.
Entertainment value = an all time low
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The Ott bid was doomed from the get-go; they don't have any Humpty's.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

Rammer wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:It makes sense - go to where you are a hero and known and valued by team and fans vs. venture to Ottawa where it might not work out.
He is a fit for the Riders alright. So many players chase the extra coin, when in reality they are as good as they are due to the system that they are in.
Good point. He's purrfect for the Riders' system. I could be wrong about this, but I'm not sure that he'd add as much to the Lions offense as he would to his old one, and I think that receiver is not really an area of need for the Lions.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=460423
REGINA - Weston Dressler is back with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

The veteran slotback re-signed with the CFL club Wednesday after passing his physical.

Dressler was released by the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday and cleared NFL waivers the following day, making him an unrestricted CFL free agent.

The Ottawa Redblacks also made a formal contract offer to Dressler on Wednesday, and the Calgary Stampeders were reportedly in the mix for his services.

The Riders released the 29-year-old Dressler in January — roughly two weeks before he was scheduled to become a CFL free agent — so he could explore his options south of the border. Shortly after working out for the Chiefs, Dressler signed with the NFL club and donned No. 13 in honour of Saskatchewan's rabid football fans, affectionately dubbed the 13th Man.

The five-foot-eight, 179-pound native of Bismarck, N.D., spent his entire six-year CFL career with Saskatchewan, registering 442 catches for 6,531 yards and 43 TDs. He surpassed the 1,000-yard receiving plateau five times, including the last four years.

Dressler had five catches for a game-high 81 yards and a TD in Saskatchewan's 45-23 Grey Cup victory over Hamilton last November at Regina's Mosaic Stadium. A two-time all-star, Dressler was the CFL's top rookie in 2008.

Dressler appeared in three exhibition games with Kansas City, recording a 19-yard kickoff return.
Good fit for the Riders. Return of a fan favourite.

Smart player. Very productive.

Five years over 1000 yards in the CFL. Four years in a row. Obviously builds a rapport with the QB. And the QB has confidence in him.

The Riders get better.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
South Pender
Legend

As I stated earlier, I don't really see receiver as a position of need for the Lions, but, if the team does want to add one (an International), I think there's a very good chance that Chris Matthews (CFL 2012 Outstanding Rookie; 6-5, 230, with 4.57 speed) will be cut by the Seahawks after tonight's final preseason game in Oakland. Of course, if he is cut, he may go the 'Hawks' practice roster or catch on with another NFL team's PR....
notahomer
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Good fit for the Riders. Return of a fan favourite.

Five years over 1000 yards in the CFL. Four years in a row. Obviously builds a rapport with the QB. And the QB has confidence in him.

The Riders get better.
All true, IMO, WCJ. What I think is not only is he a fan favourite but the fans are a 'fan favourite' of him. Playing for these fans is probably going to be worth more to him than any other CFL team. Whatever works for him, I guess......
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Good fit for the Riders. Return of a fan favourite.

The Riders get better.
All true, IMO, WCJ. What I think is not only is he a fan favourite but the fans are a 'fan favourite' of him. Playing for these fans is probably going to be worth more to him than any other CFL team. Whatever works for him, I guess......
One of those five factors in that article I posted the other day about why the West is superior:
The lure of actual, real fame
In the CFL, conventional sports wisdom is turned upside down: Saskatchewan is a big market, with financial power. According to reports, the Roughriders turned a franchise record profit of $10.4-million last year. Players are stars in Western markets, where the CFL is strongest. That can lead to fringe benefits away from the field, which can in turn help lure and retain players. “The profile of the league is greater in the West,” Forde said, “so I think there’s the argument that there are more opportunities off the field for players — because the players are stars, and people want to hire them.”
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.