Leos/Riders Keys to the Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Our 5-3 Lions play the 5-2 Saskatchewan Rough Riders in a key Western Division battle this Sunday.

Presently our Lions are tied for last spot with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers but can move into a tie with the Riders with a victory, although the Riders will still have a game in hand. Our Leos are on a winning roll but they need to keep on winning and they especially need to win against Western opponents in the very tough West Division this season. Calgary and Edmonton, both at 6-1 are enjoying successful seasons and there are no easy Western opponents this year.

I'm writing Keys to the Game early this week because there are so many themes and decisions going into this game. They include:

QUARTERBACK

Our Leos have two experienced quarterbacks in Kevin Glenn and Travis Lulay. There has not been much difference between them in the passing game over the past two seasons. In 2012 Lulay completed 66.5 % of his passes and had a 100.7 quarterback efficiency average while Glenn complted 66.7% of his passes and had a 97.2 quarterback efficiency average. Last season Lulay completed 64.6% of his passes and had a 95.0 quarterback rating while Glenn complted 66.6% of his passes for a 100.5 quarterback rating. Both are very good quarterbacks who bring different strengths to the position. Glenn is a quick release quarterback who is shifty in the pocket and very good at picking out secondary receivers. Lulay is a very mobile quarterback who throws very well while rolling out and can hurt a defense with his legs.

Both have their deficiencies as well but overall we are fortunate to have both quarterbacks on our roster. The challenge is how to deal with the situation at hand, with our Leos winning under Glenn and also re-integrating Lulay, coming back from off-season shoulder surgery into action.

It looks like wiser decisions are prevailing this week, following the timing of the way we played Lulay against Toronto. Kevin Glenn will start against the Riders and we will try to get Lulay action at more appropriate times. I also think a key to getting Lulay's confidence and game speed back is to not have him throwing right away and from the pocket . Give him a running play on first down and try to set him up for a second and short passing play. Give him some high percentage plays and some semi-boots rather than having him read the entire defense from the pocket right away.

Too many articles were written that set up Lulay's return to action as a savior and I think that is what too many fans expected from Lulay as soon as he stepped back into action. Instead Lulay needs to be brought back slowly and wisely and Glenn, who has done a good job under difficult circumstances, also needs to be dealt with wisely and not have his confidence eroded.

Hopefully we'll get this situation right against the Riders. Glenn is still nursing a thigh injury. We'll likely need both in very important ways, before this season ends so making wise decisions to get the best out of both is crucial.

RETURN GAME

Tim Brown had Brown had 254 combined yards, including 13 touches for 249 yards in our return game and was the difference in our win over Toronto. Brown’s had a 69-yard return that also had a horse-collar tackle penalty tacked on as he set up our first touchdown and then had a 70-yard return in the fourth quarter. However, in spite of those numbers. Brown is only a 50/50 chance at best, to be back in the lineup against the Riders.

The CFL's designated import rule requires four international players to play only in place of fellow Americans and Benevedes wants Hardy-Taliau on the roster as a backup, should one of our import pass defenders (Marsh, Parks, Phillips, or Yell) gets injured in a game.

Brown could be back in civilian clothers on the sidelines after winning a CFL Player of the Week Award. However, there are options should Benevedes decide to use them and keep Brown in the lineup. However we are likely to see Logan back returning kicks and Brown not dressed.

HARRIS/LOGAN

Stefan Logan proved last Sunday how impressive he can be with more touches from the tailback position. He is the CFL Offensive Player of the Week. He is fifth in the CFL in rushing with a 5.4 yard average and first in combined yards. Andrew Harris is second in the CFL in rushing, with a 5.3 yd. average, first in the CFL in yards from scrimmage, and even missing a game, he is 7th in receiving.

The big question is how to best use them. We use them in rotation and at times we use them together. There seem to be two keys to our success. The first is that when we run the football 20 or more times in a game we are 31-2 since 2011 so getting each lots of touches when they each line up at tailback is important. We've done a good job of that.

However, we have not done a great job when both are in the lineup together...and most often we have lined them up as slotbacks in the six receiver/empty backfield. Defenses have blitzed us in that situation and our success rate has not been very good. It would seem wiser, when we use both together, to use them both in the backfield with misdirection or send one in motion or lined up in a wide bunch so that we could use hitch screens in space.

Finally we have not used either in the screen game. What screen game? I moaned that Chap didn't use the screen enough. With Jones the screen play is almost non-existent.

CORNERBACK

Last game we moved Ronnie Yell in Marsh's short side corner spot and he was outstanding. Lee played the wide corner spot, usually occupied by Yell, and he had an excellent game and Ricky Ray's strategy to pick on him failed miserably. Our pass defense held Ricky Ray to well under 200 yards passing and it was our corner play that shone.

This week veteran Dante Marsh shoud be ready to play again. The future is likely Yell and Lee at corner but for this week it almost certainly be Marsh and Yell. One wonders if that future should be now but our Leos will go with the vet Marsh and his experience.

NICKELBACK/THIRD LINEBACKER

Josh Johnson will likely need another week to recupe from his injury. He has been impressive for a rookie so far this season. Torri Williams took his place last week but was pined in the fourth quarter due to two penalties in the game. A big question is whether our Leos will use Hardy-Taliau in Torri Williams place or will they give Williams, an aggressive player who is always around the football another opportunity.

Jamal Johnson was signed by our Leos to give our defense the ability to play the run tougher on first down but Jamal Johnson has not been used in that role as much as anticipated. Our run defense has also seriously slid from last season. Will Jamal be given an increased role in our defense, especially with Josh Johnson sidelined for another week. It's an interesting question.

CENTER

This season started off miserably for our offensive line. The inability to come up with a decent left tackle and very poor blitz pickup created havoc. Player started the season at left guard and he was not ready. Things changed very positively when, in desperation it seemed, we decided to play Steward, who we had pencilled in as a backup left guard, was given the start at left tackle with only a couple of practices this season and his play was off the charts. With Hardrick or Fabian at left guard we were much more solid. On the right side Valli is playing closer to his 2011 self and Olofoye is also playing very well right now.

That leaves Matt Norman, who has had his struggles this season, especially in pass protection. In fact his play has slid from last season at times. The left tackle position requires incredible talent but center is the most complex position to play. I really believe that we would be wise to hire Angus Reid to work with Norman specifically. Dean Valli is the senior statesman of our offensive line. There is no sage wise owl to help Norman and Reid was a very intelligent offensive lineman. It takes at least three seasons to even get comfortable in the center position in the pros and having someone like Reid come in for some very specific coaching for Norman, even for an appreviated time, would we a wise move.

THE SPREAD OFFENCE-OUTSIDE WIDE RECEIVER

Last season we finished the season averaging over 200 yards rushing per game while passing the football well. We mostly did that out of power formations and using a lot of motion. Chap had moved away from the spread offence in 2011 and began to use a lot more power formations. With Logan and Harris both in the lineup for an entire season in 2014, I anticipated a lot of power formations and a lot of play action, including misdirection play action passing when we threw the football. Hasn't happened.

Instead we have become more of a spread formation offence under Jones. It would be easy to call it old ChapBall but in reality it looks like the old Calgary playbook that Buono has always been a fan of - it looks like the old Hufnagel/Cortez/Chapdelaine offence that Buono used in Calgary. We've even re-introduced the six receiver empty backfield formation that got Dickenson mostly destroyed in 2005.

The problem is that defenses do not play the style of play that was in vogue in the 90's nor is the personell the same. Now there nickelbacks and dime backs rather than slow linebackers that those by gone day fifth and sixth recievers used to exploit mercilessly. Defenses blitz the hell out of the spread and use zone blitzes or press coverage.

How is that fifth receiver or sixth receiver doing on our Leos. Iannuzzi has 4 catches and Poblah has 3 catches for 16 yards. The promising Haidara has not been used, dispite his size and the impressive training camp and exhibition season of Adekolu has evaporated as he languishes on the practice roster.

We've run best out of power formations when we have used them. Outside of a successful pass to Harris in our first game of the season, when a defender fell and a crossing pattern to Logan last game, our six receiver formation has given us very little except a Glenn bruising and our five receiver set has been played tough on the inside due to our penchant for ignoring our wide side wide receiver.

Now, on to KEYS TO THE GAME

SHUT DOWN THE RIDERS RUN

The Riders are 3rd in the CFL in rushing. Last game Jerome Messam had almost 100 yards rushing in the first half of the game. The Riders are stuggling with the pass this season. The Riders passing attack is 7th in the CFL and Durrant's 60.1% passing completion average and 86.5% quarterback efficiency average reflect that stat. Take away the Riders running attack and they will be much easier to defend.

PASS RUSH

We saw, against Toronto, when we can get a good pass rush on a quarterback, using only four or five defenders, what a difference it makes. Our pass defense made a very good quarterback like Ricky Ray, look very ordinary. If Bazzie, who is now tied for second in quarterback sacks can keep up his stellar play and we can get good inside penetration from Taylor and Mitchell, we can make it a tough day for the Riders offence.

USE OUR OFFENSIVE WEAPONS WISELY

Obviously, Harris and Logan need to be the focus of our offence and Arsenault and Taylor are our best offensive receivers. We need to run the football 20 + times. However, we would avoid the long stretches of offensive ineptitude if we took better advantage of play action and mixed in some passes to our other receivers earlier in games. Defenders are going to continue to play off our wide receivers and even more in the future and cut over our slot backs for interceptions if we don't keep defenses more honest.Safeties are also focusing on our slotbacks to provide double coverage.

DOWNFIELD PUNT COVERAGE

Jackson has a very good return averages for the Riders, often giving the Rider offence good field position and he has the speed to break away for a long return. Parker is tied for third in CFL in downfield tackles, Antwi and and Arakgi are tied for 4th, and Jamal Johnson is also having a good season on special teams.

WRAP

They are all key games in this very tight and challenging West so far this season. We need to keep the roll going if we want to stay in the West race and move up in the standings. Go Leos!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Keys on defence:

i) Stop Jerome Messam. He has been a beast the past couple of weeks.

ii) Pressure, pressure on Durant. Don't give him time to pick out his receivers

iii) Spy on Durant. He likes the quarterback draw on 2nd and long

Offence:

i) Account for John Chick the CFL sack leader with 11 sacks

ii) Make the Riders defend the entire length and width of the field

iii) Control the line of scrimmage
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Excellent detailed keys, Blitz.

We seem to have settled into a good habit of highly motivated play. Backs against the the wall can do that. Cannot afford to ease up.

We will no doubt miss Tim Brown on returns.

We have to find a way to integrate our wideouts into the game. The Riders will be going double time to stop Harris and Logan. We have to take them off their expectations. Play action? Screens? Along with a vigorous, dedicated ground game. Mostly power. Some zone is OK. But simplicity is the key for our O Line.

Durant, although not fast, nor shifty is very dangerous on planned runs. Especially at crunch time. Better be ready.

Messam will be motivated against us. Say what one will about character, selfishness, or whatever. But he is an earth mover as a running back.

I don't expect us to mail one in, not with our veteran leadership. But we better be ready. We cannot think we have been dominant for a handful,of games. We won some squeakers.

Glenn. Lulay. A dicey situation. Easy to mess it up. That may have thrown Glenn off last game.

I expect an intense game. The Riders are not world beaters. And neither are we. Pretty much every game is a must, at this time.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I think the best key to the game is to

BEAT THE LIVING SNOT OUT OF THEM

This :marg: results in :puke:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
ziggy
Legend

Blitz, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and BC currently have 10 points so all three are currently tied for last place as I see it. A win by BC would give them 12 points and put them ahead of the Riders although the Riders would have a game in hand!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can someone arrange Ryan Phillips to meet Durant when he lands in Vancouver ? That ought to throw him off his game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The key is to be more aggressive than the Riders and win the line of scrimmage. Against Toronto the B.C. defensive line was in Ricky Ray's face all night and the offensive line opened holes for Stefan Logan to scamper for 145 yards. The tired Argo cover teams couldn't get downfield to surround Tim Brown, who found big lanes to run through. This week the Lions' opponents will be well rested, and those physical battles will be tougher. Whoever controls the line of scrimmage should come out on top.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

:puke: if I have to see Durant scamper for yet another planned/unplanned first down. Hope our linebackers get him to drop this as a way to keep the Riders offence on the field.

IMO, the Riders offence has been okay, better than I thought they would be without Sheets. Also considering they've lost some of their recieving core too.

I am hoping we'll see ANOTHER strong performance from our DEFENCE.

Our offence? Its nice to know that with a bye just around the corner that there are some options opening up again. Ramsey coming back from the 6 game list. Obviously Lulay an option if needed but to be used to help him so he can help down the road.
JohnHenry
Champion

With T.J. Lee playing so well at corner, it'd be a shame to send him back to the P.R? With D. Marsh coming back, one option might be to move R. Yell to nickle (replacing the guy who got all those penalties last game?) Yell's aggressiveness, coverage and tackling ability might be an asset as the nickle...although he might not have the ideal size they are looking for.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:Blitz, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and BC currently have 10 points so all three are currently tied for last place as I see it. A win by BC would give them 12 points and put them ahead of the Riders although the Riders would have a game in hand!
But a win in this game for the Lions gives them the season series with the Riders and thus any future nod in the even of a points tie with the Riders would go our way.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
ziggy
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
ziggy wrote:Blitz, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and BC currently have 10 points so all three are currently tied for last place as I see it. A win by BC would give them 12 points and put them ahead of the Riders although the Riders would have a game in hand!
But a win in this game for the Lions gives them the season series with the Riders and thus any future nod in the even of a points tie with the Riders would go our way.
Agree, this is huge given how tight the Western race is
South Pender
Legend

As always, Blitz, just an excellent, comprehensive preview. I found your analysis of Lulay vs. Glenn most interesting--just how close they are in passing efficiency. I may be alone in this, but I'd like to see Lulay kept out of much real contact until after the bye week--that would be the Sept. 5 game in Ottawa. At this point, I think Glenn is better able to get the most out of our offense. I'd give Lulay very few plays in the Roughrider game and insist that he not do anything that could re-injure the shoulder. And I'm not sure that the Lions will be better with Lulay running the offense in the second half of the season either. It will take him several games just to get back to his normal form. I know that this will go against current thinking, but we might be best--in looking at the second half of the season--by just keeping Glenn starting and working Lulay in for some plays each game. As MLF (I think it was) pointed out, it can take more than a year for the shoulder to completely recover and rebuild after this kind of surgery. Maybe we should be thinking about 2015 for a full return for Lulay.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:I think the best key to the game is to

BEAT THE LIVING SNOT OUT OF THEM

This :marg: results in :puke:
As nice as that sounds, it basically comes down to doing exactly that. Riders thrive on the production of their OL and DL, beat them up on the front lines and they play like they haven't eaten a snicker bar. On the Lions DL, they will have to win the battle, otherwise Messam is going to allow Durant to ride that wave, whereas if the Lions DL can stop the running ability of the Riders, it will expose how inefficient Durant is as a throwing QB.

We often say that you have to win the battle on the LOS, but vs the Riders it is imperative, as Glenn doesn't like traffic, let alone getting hit.
Entertainment value = an all time low
green road kill
Rookie

LIONS VS ROAD KILL

The last time the Leo's played the Riders I left the game hear WALKEN ON ROAD KILL,and there is every chance that we'll be singing that tune again Sunday night.

RIDER OFFENCE

The secret weapon for the Leo's going into Sundays game is Cortez.He is so stuck on ball secerity (as he puts it) or plays harmfull to the team, that he has put chains on the O. The Rider players are more worried about, being benched or cut, for a fumble or dropping a pass than they are about playing the game. The Rider O has scorred one TD in two games , Cortez isn't the ownly reason but he is a large part of it.

The Rider recieving core is Bag and Getzleff , and that won't be enough. The ownly reason Smith( after the crap he's pulled ) is still here, is they got nobody else . The party line out here is that Durant has yet to achieve that trust factor (or CHI what ever that is ) with his new recievers. 9 game into the season it should be found and lost already. More likely it's Cortez yappig in his ear,abou turning the ball over

.Messam does give the Riders a hard charging back (untill he fumbles ) and the Rider O line is good,but over rated in my mind. (Monteal got a fair amount of pressure on DD) . Take away the run and make Durant
throw and the Lions win.

DEFFENCE

The Rider D line is the same a last game strong on the ends , but soft in the middle . Chic is the key take him out of the game as mutch as we can and the Lion chances are Pritty good.

The Riders maybe 5 and 2 but it is a week 5 and 2 . This is the first time since there bye week that they will face one of the CFL's better teams. Yes I know they played Winnipeg , but deffences don't always score 14 points a game.The Rider O didn'tscore a TD.

The Lions have a welth of weapons to use on both offence and deffence , and our over all depth and talent is better.Look for a lion win.
green road kill
Rookie

I am sorry about the double post , I changed companies fo a better rate and a promtion and things have been a real mess ever since ( close the door and the fridge blows up ) . Cheaper doesn't always mean better