Latest TEAM1040 Poll: CFL or NFL (or both)?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Interesting poll on TEAM 1040 right now, "What Is Your Favourite Brand Of Football?" I would encourage you to vote if nothing else than to get more CFL segments/guests on that station. CFL currently trailing NFL ("both" leads the poll at 32.4%).

http://www.teamradio.ca/

P.S. - no "college" option for our friend Lions4ever. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I voted CFL but I would have voted NCAA ahead of NFL for xsecond place if that were an option.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Interesting poll on TEAM 1040 right now, "What Is Your Favourite Brand Of Football?" I would encourage you to vote if nothing else than to get more CFL segments/guests on that station. CFL currently trailing NFL ("both" leads the poll at 32.4%).

http://www.teamradio.ca/

CFL has pulled ahead of NFL since you posted but "Both" still has a slight edge.

MS made an interesting comment at the outset about insecure Cdn NFL fans going out of their way to bash the CFL, whereas (he says) the reverse was once more common but is almost unheard today.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

They now have a new poll. What makes a good sports bar ?
JohnHenry
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:They now have a new poll. What makes a good sports bar ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

They need an option for "All of the Above" because I think you need all of things listed for the establishment to even consider itself a good sports bar.

I do have 2 pet peeves with sports bars:

One is when you come into a place and there's a feature game on i.e. a Canucks or Lions game anywhere in BC and there is no sound on other than whatever satellite music station their system happens to be hooked up to.
The other is self-proclaimed sports bars who don't have the decency to train ALL of their staff in how to operate their TV and sound equipment. These days many sports bars that have multiple screens have the screens tied into some sort of control board but neglect to show more than a couple of their staff how to run it. Been more than a few times in various places I've asked if a screen could be switched and find out nobody on shift at that time knows how to do it.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

They read the final results of the football poll on the air, and "both" was #1 with around 35% of the vote. "CFL" rallied and came in second around (IIRC) 5 percentage points ahead of NFL. Only 7 percent voted that they don't like football.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:They read the final results of the football poll on the air, and "both" was #1 with around 35% of the vote. "CFL" rallied and came in second around (IIRC) 5 percentage points ahead of NFL. Only 7 percent voted that they don't like football.

Fairly accurate assessment of reality I'd say.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:
Not being sexist but not the guy on the left.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:

Thanks for the name-check, brother!

College football is kinda lost on Canadian sports media.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:

Well... we're mostly education-first with our post-secondary institutions in this country. For better or for worse, varsity sports in general are an afterthought.

And things aren't about to change anytime soon.

Dark TV days ahead for amateur sports in Canada
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

By the decade ...

1960s ... NFL ... Green Bay, Dallas, then Minnesota with Joe Kapp. In those days, I felt the CFL was second rate to the NFL. Bigger stars. More glitz. Better camera work. Better announcers. I bought the hype to an extent. Plus the NFL had some truly wondrous players. Sayers. Butkus. Staubach. And a bit of glory for the B.C. Lions in 1963 and 1964. :thup:

1970s ... NFL ... Raiders. Marcus Allen. Vikings. And I enjoyed the intensity and excitement Vic Rapp brought to the Lions. He scared both players and coaches. LOL And he loved speed in his athletes.

1980s ... CFL ... Don Matthews, for me, raised the bar of the CFL. It was very exciting football.

1990s ... NFL ... Post Matthews => the Wilderness Years for the Lions.

2000s ... CFL all the way, especially when Ackles pried Buono out of Calgary. Fateri was flip flopping on his big talk.

2010s ... CFL all the way. I barely watch the NFL anymore.

CFL :beauty:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:

Well... we're mostly education-first with our post-secondary institutions in this country. For better or for worse, varsity sports in general are an afterthought.

And things aren't about to change anytime soon.

Dark TV days ahead for amateur sports in Canada
Yeah, that's not good. Also, I flash back (as I often do at my age) to the days when SFU was in the NAIA. I found the coverage of their conference way better in the Seattle Times or PI (it was still around then) than in the Sun or Province even though the Seattle papers had (and have) way more high profile football to cover.

Anyway, only 4 more sleeps til the start of another college FB season: Sam Houston St v E Wash. Saturday 12:30 on ESPN. Lots of former E Wash guys in the CFL.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CIS football and basketball would be a natural fit for TSN's expanded lineup, and would tie in nicely with their CFL and NBA properties. I still haven't figured out how they're going to fill 24 hours of programming on five national networks.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:CIS football and basketball would be a natural fit for TSN's expanded lineup, and would tie in nicely with their CFL and NBA properties. I still haven't figured out how they're going to fill 24 hours of programming on five national networks.
Its kinda weird, IMO. You used to be able to catch re-runs of recent games quite easily when TSN was "THE SPORTS NETWORK" (meaning no other sports channels in Canada). Sometimes (usually actually but I like to whine sometimes :wink: ) TSN2 will replay games but not always. The other night I fell asleep on the couch late during a replay of a CFL game. When I woke up a replay of that mornings episode of 'Dave Hodge's THE REPORTERS' was on. THEY REPLAYED IT FOR FOUR HOURS (at least it was scheduled). Who needs to show the same 30minute show 8 times in a row?

Its probably my selective memory but it just seems like I had an easier time and enjoyed watching sports on TSN when they were the only game in town. I read a great book about how more choices do not necessarily make us happier/satisfied....
Here is a TED talk by the author (Barry Schwartz) of that great (IMO) book on the "Paradox of Choice"