Bombers 23 - Lions 6 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Flat on offence.

Dean Valli set the tone early.

Glenn off target, overthrows, interceptions.

Manny dropped a very catchable ball early. Might have been a TD.

Pass protection scheme gawdawful. Dorazio. Jones.

Etcheverry kicked Khari's butt and Dorazio's butt.

Mike Buonovides has not got his team up to the challenge.

LaRose terrible tackling. Had one knockdown, but may have taken an Int away from Phillips.

Defence had some moments. Solomon. Bazzi.

O'Shea had his guys ready. Buonovides did not. O'Shea was playing the guitar, hitting the notes. Benny was just strumming, not making any musical sounds, searching for the strings. No chest bumps. No raging at the refs. No stomping up and down. What else is there to do?

Do we have a chance at the playoffs?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
ziggy
Legend

Either Glenn or the receivers don't know the play book.
Kamloops Lion
All Star

Glenn looks awful, certainly.
But, with a piss-poor O-line that is embarrassing, what QB could thrive in BC?
MikeAK
All Star

Terrible game to watch for Lions fans.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
K. GLENN 18/31 232 0 2
J. BECK 1/2 10 0 0

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
C. TAYLOR 4 66 0 27
E. ARCENEAUX 4 63 0 19
E. JACKSON 4 36 0 15
A. HARRIS 3 23 0 11
S. GORE 2 34 0 23
S. LOGAN 2 20 0 18

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
A. HARRIS 8 38 0 11
S. LOGAN 8 32 0 9
E. ARCENEAUX 3 28 0 12
T. PARTRIDGE 1 2 0 2

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
E. JACKSON 1 1 0 0
A. HARRIS 1 0 0 0
E. ARCENEAUX 1 0 0 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
P. MCCALLUM 2/2 19 0/0 6

Punting NO AVG NET LG
P. MCCALLUM 8 39.0 266 43

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 5 46 9.2 17 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
P. MCCALLUM 2 119 61 0

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
T. BROWN 2 53 26.5 32 0
M. IANNUZZI 1 20 20.0 20 0
S. LOGAN 1 9 9.0 9 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
S. ELIMIMIAN 12 0 0 0
A. BAZZIE 4 2 0 0
R. PHILLIPS 4 0 1 0
A. BIGHILL 4 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 3 0 0 0
R. YELL 3 0 0 0
C. PARKS 2 0 0 0
A. LAROSE 2 0 0 0
J. WESTERMAN 2 0 0 0
K. FABIEN 1 0 0 0
C. TAYLOR 1 0 0 0
M. NORMAN 1 0 0 0
K. SMITH 1 0 0 0
D. MARSH 1 0 0 0
D. MENARD 1 0 0 0
J. JOHNSON 1 0 0 0
E. TAYLOR 1 0 0 0
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

cromartie
Hall of Famer

It's easy to yell 'coaching coaching coaching', but guys do have to execute. And tonight, not very many guys on offense executed.

I'll give you that when it was obvious the blitz wasn't getting there that it would have been wise to, I don't know, drop a guy into coverage in the middle of the field, but beyond that, guys have to execute. Way too many 'almost' sacks on Willy.

Guys have to execute. And tonight, they didn't.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
D. WILLY 18/26 250 1 1

Receiving Rec YDS TD LG
N. MOORE 7 99 0 23
C. DENMARK 4 66 1 37
N. GRIGSBY 3 18 0 8
C. FITZGERALD 1 38 0 38
B. CARTER 1 13 0 13
R. KOHLERT 1 11 0 11
M. PONTBRIAND 1 5 0 5

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
N. GRIGSBY 15 19 0 17
D. WILLY 4 18 0 15
C. DENMARK 1 9 0 9
M. PONTBRIAND 1 4 0 4
R. MARVE 1 0 0 0

Fumbles NO LST REC YDS
C. RANDLE 0 0 1 0

Field Goals FG LG XP PTS
L. HAJRULLAHU 5/5 51 1/1 16

Punting NO AVG NET LG
L. HAJRULLAHU 5 43.0 169 50

Punt Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
A. WOODS 6 46 7.7 11 0

Kickoffs NO YDS LG SG
L. HAJRULLAHU 5 331 72 1

Kick Returns NO YDS AVG LG TD
A. WOODS 2 35 17.5 26 0

Defence TKL SK INT FF
D. WASHINGTON 5 0 0 1
E. KUALE 4 0 1 0
T. SHERMAN 4 0 0 1
B. JOHNSON 4 0 0 0
Z. ANDERSON 4 0 0 0
M. LEGGETT 3 1 1 0
G. PEACH 3 1 0 0
D. DUNN 3 1 0 0
B. TURNER 3 1 0 0
I. WILD 3 0 0 0
C. RANDLE 2 0 0 0
L. RICHARDSON 1 1 0 0
K. FRASER 1 1 0 0
M. BUCKNOR 1 0 0 1

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:It's easy to yell 'coaching coaching coaching', but guys do have to execute. And tonight, not very many guys on offense executed.

I'll give you that when it was obvious the blitz wasn't getting there that it would have been wise to, I don't know, drop a guy into coverage in the middle of the field, but beyond that, guys have to execute. Way too many 'almost' sacks on Willy.

Guys have to execute. And tonight, they didn't.
I agree 100% that players have to execute and fully agree that they weren't.

BUT with the Lions coaching from HC down (other than their DEF) I don't get a sense of what this HC is all about.

Wally might have to move down from the roof top to rescue this season.

Lulay back there might have done something more BUT if they're not blocking and the Bombers coming as they were even his scrambling wouldn't help. Not sure why they didn't give it to Beck just to give Kevin Glenn a break. As Rod Black said on one play with Harris on a great gainer - Harris is one name not heard much from in the second half.

On the Lions last INT when Black said this might be something - as it normally could be in the CFL - you had to know - that it was not on for this bunch of Lions.

A team takes on the personality of its HC and the tone he sets and right now Mike Benevides has a tone about as consistent as my online feed was for the first half.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Kamloops Lion wrote:Glenn looks awful, certainly.
Absolutely true, I could be pulling the strings with ease if I had an O-line like the Stamps do! Just pathetic tonight. I think our front 4 is too over-rated. They are old and can't penetrate. :dizzy:
swervynmerv
Legend

1. Kevin Glenn is playing behind a porous offensive line but he has to be better, he is a 12 year vet and is forcing throws like a rookie. That being said, until we get Travis back, we won't truly know how this offence is

2. Once again way to many penalties.

3. When are we going to address this ongoing O Line problem? This has been on-going for YEARS!

4. We missed Schmidt's punting tonight

5. Ianuzzi was invisible tonight. Poblah has done nothing as well. I'd like to try Adekolu for a game and see what he can do. Had some nice catches in the pre-season
Last edited by swervynmerv on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Larry Key wrote:
Kamloops Lion wrote:Glenn looks awful, certainly.
Absolutely true, I could be pulling the strings with ease if I had an O-line like the Stamps do! Just pathetic tonight. I think our front 4 is too over-rated. They are old and can't penetrate. :dizzy:
No Mitchell to pick up double teams. I'd be more concerned that the linebackers can't sift their way through traffic on blitzes, personally.

I'm inclined to cut the defense some slack because, despite that, they gave up all of one touchdown despite no help from the other two units.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:1. Kevin Glenn is playing behind a porous offensive line but he has to be better, he is a 12 year get and is forcing throws like a rookie. That being said, until we get Travis back, we won't truly know how this offence is

2. Once again way to many penalties.

3. When are we going to address this ongoing O Line problem? This has been on-going for YEARS!

4. We missed Schmidt's punting tonight

5. Ianuzzi was invisible tonight. Poblah has done nothing as well. I'd like to try Adekolu for a game and see what he can do. Had some nice catches in the pre-season
Yes. But the line is so bad he can't get more than two reads deep and teams can cover those reads.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes. But the trade off was having Brown return kicks, which was an improvement on the prior smattering of returners.
I don't disagree, but that's not on Ianuzzi. Glenn is simply not looking wide side, and teams don't respect him as a result. Ianuzzi was wide open, completely uncovered on the 2nd down end zone play and Glenn tried to force a pass to a double covered Arceneaux instead. Ianuzzi can't do much when Glenn doesn't (or can't) look at him because he doesn't have time due to a poor line.
leo4life
All Star

Outright disgusting performance tonight from the coaching staff down....next week @ Stampeders....with old friends Stubler,Dickenson,Bell,Shell,Brandon Mcdonald & Linebacker Glen Love looking for some payback.....
leo4life
All Star

Teams will not fear BC Place anymore with Lions 1-2 so far here this year....Not to mention this team plays even worse on the road.....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Swervyn mentioned the penalties.

I count 13 for the Lions, 5 for the Bombers. Too many penalties is traditionally placed at the feet of the coaching staff, especailly the Head Coach.

Is this being too tough on Benny? I guess the alternative is to be happy that we have won a couple of games. But the playoff picture is already looking bleak.

Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg have all won 4 games. Their teams look pretty solid. No surprise with Calgary. Chris Jones is not a surprise. O'Shea is only a surprise in that he has risen so fast, without showing any signs that he is in over his head.

And then there is Regina. We could easily finish fifth in the West. Too alarmist? So be it. Not too impressed so far. Just rounding into shape? The problem for us is the level of coaching ability that is out there. No gimmes. We are more like the gimme. Once again, can we turn this around? Dunno ...

We have some very good talent. But we find ourselves with a very green O Line. Very, very green. It didn't look like Khari Jones and Dan Dorazio were on the same page with the pass protection preparation and scheme. Kevin Glenn is forced to play "Chuck and Duck." And the entire offence falls apart. Waddayagonna do? Benny is still stuck with some lifers in Wally's world. As I indicated earlier this year, when he shipped JC and Stubler off, he probably should have cleaned house. It seems to be kind of a mess.

6 Freaking Sacks against. :shock: Holes in the dyke? Heck, the dam broke. It was a tsunami. It was jail break defence. Storm the Bastille. How do we find ourselves in this position? Well it has been discussed repeatedly over the years. I don't really think Kevin Glenn is as bad as we are making him look. I recall the very, very intense look on the face of Travis Lulay, when he was channeling Houdini back there in the pocket. What he did in 2011 was not normal. It was off the charts. And we go through these spells of horrific pass protection, and then we seem to figure a few things out, or the players figure a few things out, and our pass protection settles down a bit. But it is the same pretty much every year. And we cannot blame the poor pass protection on Jacques Chapdelaine. We have young guys there. Yes. Yes. Well, why is it that we find ourselves with so many young guys there? All at once. No smooth transition. At least the young guys show talent and potential. And lately we have drafted well in the O LIne starting with Fabien and Norman.